• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your milkshake duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Never even heard of JonTron until reading this thread.

Mine I think would have to be Aaron Rodgers. I'm a huge Packers fan but man something about Rodgers attitude and demeanor come off as incredibly arrogant. I could be wrong but watching him play and do interviews over the years, idk, I can't help but get the feeling that the guy is a huge prick irl.

Edit: hmm maybe I've got the wrong idea about wtf a milkshake duck is. lol my bad. I didn't know it was literally a racist/anti lgbtq thing.

DemWalls

john f. kennedy had a rather surprising view of hitler:

i guess you can see it as just him saying that after everyone affected by him are dead history will eventually just see him as another "great man" who just happened to kill a bunch of people, but if anyone said that today they'd get so much shit, especially if they were a politician.

It reminds me of what Olivander says in the first Harry Potter movie: "He Who Must Not Be Named did great things... Terrible! Yes... But great!"

What you say is true, many people are not that smart, and would just see something like that as a complete and total endorsement.

Strain

Back in high school I used to listen to For Today, a Christian metalcore band, then the guitarist tweeted:
There IS a state church being formed, there is going to be an exclusive acceptance of preachers who advocate the LGBT.
Don't be deceived, homosexuality is a sin. This sin with all other sins is what Jesus died for. He conquered so that we would be free.
There is no such thing as a gay Christian, the same as there is no such thing as a Christian who loves his sin.
Don't be fooled by the formation of a state church as though the government is being converted, they only use the name of Jesus for their progressive liberal agenda.
If you are a Christian, then separate yourself from this civil religion that advocates sin. Be true to God.
I couldn't really listen to them after that. IIRC he was booted from the band the next day. A couple years later accused the vocalist of being in a cult.

john f. kennedy had a rather surprising view of hitler:

i guess you can see it as just him saying that after everyone affected by him are dead history will eventually just see him as another "great man" who just happened to kill a bunch of people, but if anyone said that today they'd get so much shit, especially if they were a politician.

of course jfk had the sense not to actually say that, just wrote it in his diary.

He's not wrong, a lot of that is correct including the ongoing speculation about his death/remains. You're reading that as some tacit approval that everything Hitler did was right. No, he's just saying Hitler was a person that people will be studying for generations.

Just like Trump. I hate him, but people will be studying his rise to power for a very long time. Don't read my comment as saying Trump is an awesome guy.

Altazor

Edit: hmm maybe I've got the wrong idea about wtf a milkshake duck is. lol my bad. I didn't know it was literally a racist/anti lgbtq thing.

It's not that. It's basically any case of "person who a lot of people liked/respected/admired ends up being a huge asshole/criminal/pervert". Could be racism or homophobia. Could be pedophilia. Could be just general assholishness.

How about that NeoGAF Worst Posts Twitter account that was run by a pro GG person?

Speaking of Twitter: All those heavily retweeted innocuous gaming tweets asking people what games their looking forward to or whatever eventually being revealed to be posted by some GG/alt-right asshole. That's the closest definition of a Milkshake Duck.

Also, I followed Overwatch.txt during the peak of the game's launch but then it retweeted or posted ableist posts like that "autistic screeching" meme.

IrishNinja

How about that NeoGAF Worst Posts Twitter account that was run by a pro GG person?

Mmm I think they quit immediately after a user had their name and email directly revealed to all of the board. I think the email was about the discussion of GG when it was really fresh and the person had some kind of issue with it. Whether it was ethically right or wrong I no longer remember. Either way the Twitter account seemed to really dislike that public reveal so that was that. Shame though cause there were some really funny catches there. At least we got CEO Kaz even if that isn't a GAF thing.

ah wowww, had no idea - i was a fan of that account when it was going, yeah
GG really did put a light on the mess that is the gaming community...still does well after that shit's over too

Speaking of Twitter: All those heavily retweeted innocuous gaming tweets asking people what games their looking forward to or whatever eventually being revealed to be posted by some GG/alt-right asshole. That's the closest definition of a Milkshake Duck.

yup, i saw that immediately & of course another gaffer in this thread rose to his defense quickly. personally, if you don't want receipts: don't say dumb shit, or double down when they get presented. i've no doubt i said ignorant shit in the early aughts myself, but the persecution complex (rather than owning something & walking it back/learning something) is a big part of why this thread exists

Alienfan

Colin Moriarty, I used to love him on Beyond and even kindafunny when it first started. I loved hearing his takes on history and video games. I drifted away from kindafunny, come back a year later and...

What the fuck happened. Tweeting every day about how bad feminism, gender and identity politics are, how the left brought Trump on themselves. Then come days like Charlottesville, where actual Nazism is taking place and suddenly *both sides*. He claims free speech, small government and the free market whenever its a matter relating to the right side discriminating, but God forbid people don't trust the game of thrones guys to make a show on race - suddenly that criticism is "like book burning". He constantly shows his ass, never admits he's wrong, claims he's an intellect, but ignores facts relating to anything that doesn't align with his nazi sympathizing sensibilities. Seriously, fuck Colin. He's almost more dangerous than Jon Tron because of his sheer influence - people think he's smart, and will believe anything he says

Mines pretty niche... But Reiko Chiba--the original Japanese pink Ranger from Zyuranger.

She recently wrote a book with heavy right leanings all about criticizing the left in inane ways. And as far as I can tell instigates any critics constantly, especially before book signing events and such so that she can then cancel them out of fear for her safety and play the victim against left extremist boogeymen. I doubt many even care enough to protest so it reeks of BS.

I haven't followed it much more beyond those details, so maybe I'm off in my description.

Mines pretty niche... But Reiko Chiba--the original Japanese pink Ranger from Zyuranger.

She recently wrote a book with heavy right leanings all about criticizing the left in inane ways. And as far as I can tell instigates any critics constantly, especially before book signing events and such so that she can then cancel them out of fear for her safety and play the victim against left extremist boogeymen. I doubt many even care enough to protest so it reeks of BS.

I haven't followed it much more beyond those details, so maybe I'm off in my description.

Wow. All I knew is how she became a yoga instructor later in life. Didn't know about the right-wing craziness.

What is Japanese ring-winged craziness all about, BTW?

Socreges

Banned
Jim Carrey. He's always been my favourite actor and comedian. I even read his biography when I was 15 or so. But his anti vaxxer bullshit...and that's probably not the end of his lunatic theories though hopefully the most harmful... harder to enjoy him as an entertainer now.

PillarEN

Wow. All I knew is how she became a yoga instructor later in life. Didn't know about the right-wing craziness.

Probably strong nationalism and isolationism.
Which reminds me. You can add Koichi Sugiyama. He's also pretty right wing nutty. I don't mean just "I lean more conservative". I'm talking comfort women denier for starters, but very "glorious Nippon first" too. What a composer though. Not so much a great person.

http://kotaku.com/5901590/the-sad-s...legend-who-pretends-war-crimes-never-happened

http://www.jiaponline.org/documents/Jun14AdALLSignatoriesLIST.pdf

Yeah, I found out about it when she started promoting a book she had written.
It sounds like she took part in some anti-nuclear protests following the Fukushima disaster, didn't like how things were run by the left-leaning groups, and did a complete heel turn to join the right-wing.

At the end of the day, most of the right wing craziness is just nationalistic nonsense with some fringe elements wanting power returned to the imperial family.

I can't speak to her own views but even looking at the title chapters for the book make it look pretty bad, with at least part of it being about returning power to the emperor.

Huh looks like she wrote a second book as well:

51IaFqAHcFL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51TsvpulWiL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The imagery itself is telling as far as I am concerned.

Fuchsdh

He's not wrong, a lot of that is correct including the ongoing speculation about his death/remains. You're reading that as some tacit approval that everything Hitler did was right. No, he's just saying Hitler was a person that people will be studying for generations.

Just like Trump. I hate him, but people will be studying his rise to power for a very long time. Don't read my comment as saying Trump is an awesome guy.

I think he's wrong insofar that Hitler's legacy collapsed immediately during and after him, but I can see where the idea comes from. Ghengis Khan killed millions but reshaped a huge portion of the world and his empire lasted after him. At this point though those millions are largely forgotten and only his achievements remain foremost in the mind. Same with a lot of the imperialists and conquerors. Hitler mostly just managed to get a lot of people killed with nothing to show for it.

Elvis Costello made some really horrible statements when drunk. Finding that out was a blow.

He seemed to spent a fair amount of time repenting ever since, but it was still a disillusionment.

The big one is Bill Cosby though. I loved his comedy albums as a kid, memorized them, repeated them. Thank goodness nothing like this ever came out about Carlin.

Ogodei

Mostly World War II revisionism. As the recent thread about Japanese populism pointed out, it's hard to stoke the same kind of right-wing fires in Japan because the country's mostly a Rightist's dream, hyper capitalist, a culture discouraging feminism, tough on crime, discouraging of protests, tiny immigrant population mostly confined to Tokyo (though a lot of farmers nowadays find they have to take Filipina wives to get anyone to move out there). So the right-wing knobs over there mostly obsess over the humiliation that was World War II.

Valhelm

contribute something
9926c0e9b62b9f6663907e0708def0ee1477765392_full.jpg

Tokyo governor Yuriko Koike is this sweet lady who's tuned-in to pop culture and made headlines after announcing her promise to turn the city into an "anime wonderland."

She's an incredibly far-right nationalist who co-leads a neofascist organization and has led a crusade to remove war crime references from Japanese schoolbooks.

9926c0e9b62b9f6663907e0708def0ee1477765392_full.jpg

Tokyo governor Yuriko Koike is this sweet lady who's tuned-in to pop culture and made headlines after announcing her promise to turn the city into an "anime wonderland."

She's an incredibly far-right nationalist who co-leads a neofascist organization and has led a crusade to remove war crime references from Japanese schoolbooks.

God, its like if Hitler and Eva Braun cosplayed as Philip and Aurora from Sleeping Beauty...

Crowbat is actually one of mine. After that racist meme in the E3 video (which I didn't know was a thing, found out on GAF) I immediately tried to justify it in my head, that he might not have known what it meant. Of course I almost immediately realized that there's no way he could've known about that meme and thought it was funny if he wasn't viewing neo nazi Reddit shit.

A shame too. As an editor, I loved his style in some of his earlier videos.

Crowbat is actually one of mine. After that racist meme in the E3 video (which I didn't know was a thing, found out on GAF) I immediately tried to justify it in my head, that he might not have known what it meant. Of course I almost immediately realized that there's no way he could've known about that meme and thought it was funny if he wasn't viewing neo nazi Reddit shit.

I think it's funny how many people tried to justify Crowbcat's use of a racist meme as being innocent like he just came across it somewhere on the internet but actually it's quite an obscure meme unless if you're hanging out in very racist spots like reddit or 4chan. And he used it in the actual racist context of belittling historical African leaders.

Notch just tweeted that "Pizzagate is real," reminding me that even though he made a cool game he turned out to be a horrible shit stain of a person.

What meme?

Notch just tweeted that "Pizzagate is real," reminding me that even though he made a cool game he turned out to be a horrible shit stain of a person.

Such a sad sad thing to see. I wonder if he never let go of Minecraft if he would have never fallen down that rabbit hole too, or if it was always festering underneath his public persona...

eXistor

I'm gonna blow your mind again: his name is actually Crowbcat, not Crowbat. Well, blew my mind when I found out anyway.

Eusis

Dram

Such a sad sad thing to see. I wonder if he never let go of Minecraft if he would have never fallen down that rabbit hole too, or if it was always festering underneath his public persona...
I'm sure Notch was always like that, its just that he kept it hidden so he wouldn't hurt his business. Once he sold it to Microsoft though, Notch could drop his disguise.

If George Carlin were still alive today he'd be labelled a "Both Sides"-er, which is enough to be Milkshake Duck for people on here.

Being 'both sides' is particularly lame in this particular political climate, not sure if it was as much back in his day. But I've never actually seen his standup so I can't really comment.

SeanTSC

If George Carlin were still alive today he'd be labelled a "Both Sides"-er, which is enough to be Milkshake Duck for people on here.

If Carlin kept being a "Both Sides" person during this political climate I sure as hell hope he would be eviscerated. It's a much different situation and has a much different context today.

As for my Milkshake duck - Keiji Inafune. I try to avoid putting people up on pedestals in general, but he immediately came to mind and no one else did. This fucking guy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
George Carlin used to complain a lot about political correctness but his political correctness was a lot of different than ours. I used to be anti-PC as well when being PC meant religious people wanting gays or curse words off TV and all that bullshit, which is what Carlin would shit on a lot, while now PC is about stopping people from being racist or sexist pricks, which I don't think Carlin would've been against.

But who knows, I've seen a lot of people be anti the old PC and still be against the new PC, just because PC is bad, no matter what kind it is.

Then again, we're also speculating what a dead man would think about the current political climate and that's a bit nuts.

Some might remember Alisa the cosplayer or 'Alisakiss' the girl who was one of the internet's really viral cammy cosplay girls.

and well she married a scumbag and she is a terrible person as well.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/19/talk-supergirl-cosplayer-charlottesville/

didn't see that coming
Love white "along for the ride" cowards at white nationalist rallies who just happen to have white nationalist connections. This time she married a white nationalist. LOL

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
There's quite a few that I can't think of right now, but Will Wright is one that pops into my head. He supported and donated to Rudy Giuliani's 2008 presidential campaign at a time when Giuliani was going semi Donald Trump on us.

Speaking of which, Donald Trump is another. I found him quite entertaining before and during his presidential campaign. I thought that he didn't really believe the shit he was spewing during his campaign because he was fairly liberal in the past. I was wrong :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom