• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" to open in North American Theaters April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the film myself. I wasnt sure what to expect going in. I knew the base premise of the film, but it ended up being so much more (
That twist was something else. I did not expect the body swap was happening between 3 years.
)
I dont really like animes and thought it was odd that it had the typical band song intro sequence, but this was really good.

One more thing:
thinking back now, how did either of them not notice a difference in year? Or general events going on?

About last spoiler:
The idea is that what they experience during swaps is dream like, so not all details reveal themselves
At least that's what I've read many times and it makes sense to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that
he seemed to be aware of the time difference, they just didn't tell the audience that he knew. He casually mentioned he should tell her about the tragedy (not knowing where), having at least been clued into everyone in her timeline looking forward to it. Not sure why she didn't notice she was hopping to the future considering she presumably spent plenty of time in his phone calendar. Maybe chalk it up to general excitement?

I dont remember him mentioning that, but maybe its one of those things you need to see a second time to catch.

About last spoiler:
The idea is that what they experience during swaps is dream like, so not all details reveal themselves

This makes some sense.

Voror

About last spoiler:

That's about the only way I can make sense of it really. I need to see it again and may this weekend, but apparently if you look closely there are times where while they are on the same day of the month, it's on a different day of the week. I guess it's also possible the switching makes them lose track just a bit at times.

When she went to see Taki in Tokyo, I was curious if she'd realize he was younger.
He didn't look that different though I guess and maybe the shock of running into him made her not realize.

Regarding the ending,
I think one part of it may be that they stretch out the point they finally talk to one another just a bit too much maybe. Mainly that part where they finally find one another on opposite parts of the staircase and act for a split second like neither is going to say anything and just go on their way.

That and maybe the desire to see just a bit further past that last line. I saw someone mention maybe just an image of them in a cafe together and that would have been fine.

I also found myself wanting to know a bit more of what Mitsuha was doing now.
For Taki, I felt they did a good job getting across his goal of becoming an architect, though I suppose they did say she'd probably take over the shrine.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Personally, I would have preferred it a little better if the movie had ended with
us seeing their reactions to saying their names to each other, perhaps inaudibly, and then smile with recognition or something. But eh, for me the implication was that they would remember one another at least to some extent once they would speak their names.
Overall I liked the movie well enough as is and I’m actually looking forward to seeing it again. Plenty of other people in the theater seemed to be enjoying the movie as well.

PolishQ

Not yet released in Japan, and I highly doubt they'll release it on BD in the west. Amazon UK has an October placeholder.

Why wouldn't they release it on BD? Funimation's got a lot of marketing behind the theatrical release. A BD is practically guaranteed, although I'm sure it'll be several months after the Japanese release.

kewlmyc

Why wouldn't they release it on BD? Funimation's got a lot of marketing behind the theatrical release. A BD is practically guaranteed, although I'm sure it'll be several months after the Japanese release.

Meant to type "won't release it on BD before Japan does". Forgot to add the last part.

Voror

Saw this again for my birthday since I had a free ticket. It's fun trying to look for little things here and there and I liked looking for recurring motifs throughout the film. Having a home release will be even better for that since I'll be able to pause.

Upon rewatching, I do think there is a scene that you could simply cut from the film and lose nothing.
That point earlier in the film where they show the scene from when Mitsuha visited Tokyo and gave Taki the braided cord. I don't think it's necessary to show that scene really and think just using that recurring "Don't you remember me?" line works better. It also makes you wonder where he got that cord when they focus on it.

CSX

Just watched it with a friend. Closest theater playing it was 30 minutes away and none of the showings in the area was the dubbed version so we settled for subbed. Really enjoyed it. Beautiful scenery and the twist was great. To be honest, I came in with low expectations because I was told it was about a boy and girl switching bodies and was expecting it to be the majority of the film in a hijinks/comedy kind of way.

Guess I'll watch the dub on the home release then. I imagine it's great as well.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Finally got around to seeing this. Some thoughts:

- Movie had a bit of an iffy start for me for the first half hour, but I think it was to be expected given the premise.
- Wow is this movie visually beautiful. Pretty surprising considering Shinkai's other works always seemed to be rough around the edges at times.
- This had the best climax I've seen in an anime film in years.
- They are so remaking this as a Hollywood movie or TV series down the line.
- Haha fuck u for the semi-troll ending Shinkai. Although on that note, it feels like the culmination of everything he's doe in his work so far. And even then, he's apparently not satisfied as discussed in this thread.

Well, watched it again here in Norway since it was released today here:
C-gZ2yBWAAEbI4N.jpg

Only sub release of course. The songs were partially subbed as well (when no characters spoke).

They replaced the
watashi
joke with:

'You're late'
'Excuse me'
'Pardon me'
'My bad'
'Sorry'

:p

what? How?

Japanese airlines show new movies on flights all the time. A few local friends declined to see the movie in theaters with us because they had already seen the movie twice on a plane months prior. (I think they missed out on some of the visual spectacle that way, but they also didn't want to cry again, so there's that.)

Japanese airlines show new movies on flights all the time. A few local friends declined to see the movie in theaters with us because they had already seen the movie twice on a plane months prior. (I think they missed out on some of the visual spectacle that way, but they also didn't want to cry again, so there's that.)

Was already like 3-4 months 'old' from the Japanese release date when they showed it on JAL/ANA though ;P

Ashhong

I work in airline media and yes, Your Name has been on airlines for months now. I think December was the first time I saw it on Garuda Airlines first. I watched it like 3 times at work before finally seeing it in theaters lol.

Airlines in general get a new (usually hollywood) release 2-3 months after. They will have Logan next month, for example.

Izayoi

Banned
The thing that was running through my mind the entire time was...

"Oh my god, how much did they spend on animating this movie?"

Absolutely gorgeous. Also, my wife said she's leaving me for Mitsuha. I've been dumped. ;_;

MMarston

The thing that was running through my mind the entire time was...

"Oh my god, how much did they spend on animating this movie?"

Absolutely gorgeous. Also, my wife said she's leaving me for Mitsuha. I've been dumped. ;_;

But did she mean like, when it's Taki?
tenor.gif

MMarston

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/68e419/kimi_no_na_wa_bluray_release_date_2017726/dgxrem8/

Japan home video release July 26th. DVD and Blu-ray. Collector's and Special edition also.

Oh nice — that's sooner than expected.

You know, the more I think about this movie, the more I get fond of it, which I might attribute to my current stage in life at the moment and, even if it goes kinda off-the-rails for the third act, it really makes me put into perspective on the personal connections that I've formed with people through sheer chance.

Also, I just really fucking love this shot (Legit spoilers)
Y6AQZY.gif

dickroach

So I was just thinking about Your Name and realized I don't remember either of those characters names... Is that cool or not? I can't tell

Lazlo

I work in airline media and yes, Your Name has been on airlines for months now. I think December was the first time I saw it on Garuda Airlines first. I watched it like 3 times at work before finally seeing it in theaters lol.

Airlines in general get a new (usually hollywood) release 2-3 months after. They will have Logan next month, for example.

Flew Air Canada at Christmas and it was available to watch. Was a redeye flight though and I didn't want to see it first on a plane, but someone across from me started watching it and that gave me even more of a reason to try and sleep so I wasn't spoiled.

Capitan

this was legit great. saw garden of words before this and hated it (though it was still really well animated). but something about this movie really stuck with me. really good animation, great story.

Scavenger

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/68e419/kimi_no_na_wa_bluray_release_date_2017726/dgxrem8/

Japan home video release July 26th. DVD and Blu-ray. Collector's and Special edition also.
Pre-orders are up on Amazon.co.jp, CDJapan and HMV.co.jp.

Audio: Japanese DTS-HD 5.1, Japanese DTS-HD 2.0. Japanese DTS-HD 5.1 with English songs and Japanese description track.
Subtitles: Japanese, Japanese for English songs edition, English and Chinese.

Amazon.co.jp links
Standard Edition Blu-ray
Special Edition Blu-ray
Collector's Edition 4K UHD + Blu-ray

In addition, Amazon.co.jp, TOHO and HMV each offer store exclusive editions with different bonus items. Those who pre-order the store exclusive editions will also receive a filmstrip bookmark.

Amazon.co.jp: https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_s...ias=dvd&field-keywords=【Amazon.co.jp限定】「君の名は。
ultimatemegax said:
Amazon JP's store bonus items are a set of two postcards (key visuals) and a A4 size picture frame that will have a newly drawn illustration of Taki & Mitsuha (Tokyo/Itomori) inside.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13575535&postcount=119

Toho: http://tohoanimationstore.com/shop/c/c19
ultimatemegax said:
Toho's own store will offer a special newly drawn art on canvas and a ring binder with the digipak art on it.
https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/861965598208790529

HMV.co.jp: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/movies/adv_1/category_2/keyword_Makoto+Shinkai/target_MOVIES/type_sr/
ultimatemegax said:
HMV will gift a newly drawn A4 art piece (Taki & Mitsuha in fragmented time) along with a lottery ticket.
https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/861966448268369920

Contents:
ultimatemegax said:
Another picture got revealed recently. Here's what it tells for the bonus contents:
Standard Edition:
Physical extras:
- Mini-character stickers

On-disc extras:
Main disc:
- Commemorative Program: ”Makoto Shinkai: Japan is falling for this genius" (NicoLive streamed)
- English Theme Song version (movie with Eng songs)
- Promotional Video Collection (Teaser, Trailer, TV CMs)
- Director Makoto Shinkai Filmography (collection from previous Shinkai works)

Special Edition:
Physical extras:
- 100 pg booklet
- Digipak with outer case

On-disc extras:
Main disc: Same as Standard Edition

Bonus disc 1:
- Video Storyboards (Shinkai's video storyboards for the film)
- Your Name making-of footage: A documentary covering the ~year long production

Bonus disc 2:
- Commentary from Ryunosuke Kamiki, Mone Kamishiraishi, and RADWIMPS about the recording/music performances.
- Unused Audio Clips
- Textless Opening
- Suntory commercial
- Music video for Sparkle

Collector's Edition
Physical extras:
- 6-sided digipak newly drawn from Shinkai (direction), character designer Masayoshi Tanaka, and art directors Tanji Takumi & Akiko Mashima
- 100 pg booklet
- Pocket-size script

On-disc extras:
4k UHD main disc
Main disc: Same as Standard Edition
Bonus disc 1: Same as Special Edition
Bonus disc 2: Same as Special Edition
Bonus disc 3:
- ”The Story of Your Name ~ The Role of Modern Day Stories" Special Lecture by Makoto Shinkai
A lecture Shinkai gave in Saku city detailing about the theories behind the script of Your Name.
- Event memorial footage collection
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13545035&postcount=75

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can we reasonably expect that the US bluray release will have both the sub and dub? If so, I'd rather wait for that.

hampig

Saw the movie a week or two ago and the visuals blew my pants off.

I like the music a lot too, everything else I felt was just OK.

Has there been any other anime release in 4K?

This is certainly the most perfect candidate for admiring all those gorgeous backgrounds at maximum resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom