• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" to open in North American Theaters April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

On my flight home from vacation yesterday, the movie was one of the choices to watch; I absolutely loved it. Such beautiful visuals (as expected) and a beautiful soundtrack, coupled with the story that really pulled me in. I was (Ending Spoilers)
especially happy that it had a happy ending. I couldn't bare to see Mitsuha and Taki not seeing each other ever again

marzlapin

Finally caught this today (english dub). Pretty incredible watch. As someone who hasn't dove much into anime in the past, what are some recommendations for other films like this one?

Try Millennium Actress. Highly recommend checking out Satoshi Kon's other films also, but Millennium Actress is my favorite, personally.

Watched the sub on a flight recently, and caught the dub this morning at a matinee.

Boy, watching it on a big screen made all the difference. The colors popped and the second viewing allows you to pick up on things that you wouldn't notice the first time.

I do feel that the songs work better in Japanese - the English versions almost sound like someone singing a subtitles script - it didn't feel natural to me.

I may have to grab the Blu-Ray for this one.

I haven't seen many feature-length anime films, would this be hard to get into for an uncultured swine like myself? I really like high concept stuff and the buzz around this film has been crazy online. My local theater is showing it subtitled and am thinking about taking the plunge.

I would not say its overly "high concept" but it should be pretty enjoyable. You will probably like it if not for the beautiful art, great soundtrack, and possibly the plot overall that is presented.

Regiruler

I forgot that the movie had an OP like it's an episode of an anime. So many small things I like about the film.

They did such a good job with the English songs that I forgot whether they were originally in Japanese at all.

Monocle

On my flight home from vacation yesterday, the movie was one of the choices to watch; I absolutely loved it. Such beautiful visuals (as expected) and a beautiful soundtrack, coupled with the story that really pulled me in. I was (Ending Spoilers)
especially happy that it had a happy ending. I couldn't bare to see Mitsuha and Taki not seeing each other ever again
Regarding the ending, I completely agree.

A bittersweet or tragic ending would have been wrong for the movie.

Voror

Regarding the ending, I completely agree.

A bittersweet or tragic ending would have been wrong for the movie.

Same.

An ending where they meet again feels right for the tone and themes of the film, especially everything with Musubi.

Still would have loved just a bit more. Maybe a post credits thing or just still images of them after that moment at the end, though I get why it ended there. I'm also sort of curious what Mitsuha is doing now in terms of career and whatnot.

I'm curious to see the manga version that is coming out. Not sure if this is the case with this one, but I've heard such adaptations of the other films expand on some things a bit. I guess I'd be happy just seeing a little more.

This is only the second film I've seen from this director, though I only remembered I'd seen another several years by looking at his other works. Is there a reason why the whole theme of two people separated in some form seems to be a constant theme in his films?

Having watched all of his other films "Your Name" is definitely now top of my list. I feel like he has finally understood 'exacty' what delivers that sharpest PING in our hearts when it comes to movie endings. Sure, people are left wanting more but the ending delivers all we need to really 'see' in order to know it was a
fantastic
outcome.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
After 5 Centimeters per Second there was zero chance
they wouldn't meet at that ending scene
, lol. Shinkai was probably giggling while making it.

Watched the English dub in theaters, and I enjoyed it a lot. I knew there was a twist, but I didn't know what, so it still surprised me. The visuals were amazing, and I was glad I caught this in theaters. The dub was well done, though the English songs threw me off; I hadn't realized it was the Japanese singer singing in English. I will agree that it was perhaps 10 minutes too long, which was particularly evident in the ending section. Also, I'm really glad it
had a happy ending. It could have used maybe a post-credit drawing of them sitting in a cafe talking or something, though.

My theater's audience was pretty small, and oddly mostly old people. There was one mother and child, though. People reacted appropriately, thankfully, and there was a big laugh when
Taki was able to get back in Mitsuha's body and cried while groping her.

Astarte

I hope there's a korean subtitled version releasing with the blu ray release or something. As much as I want to show my family this, they'd be super lost on reading English subtitles in theaters.

mellow

I watched it a while back, it's his most enjoyable movie, but I think 5cm Per Second and The Garden of Words are better

Try Millennium Actress. Highly recommend checking out Satoshi Kon's other films also, but Millennium Actress is my favorite, personally.

Funny thing: I was recommended that exact movie by my friend after seeing it the first time. It's definitely on my list. I was also recommended Hal.

I'll come back with word on my DVD copy from Malaysia. :/

Kaban

By the way, was there a subtitle error? "I shouldn't for her saké" should have been "I shouldn't for her sake", no?

Yeah, got that at our screening too. I also didn't know if it was me, but I thought the subtitles were a bit too small and much too close to the bottom of the screen. Made it harder to pay attention to some of the gorgeous visuals.

Great film by the way. It definitely lingers in your mind for a while.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah, got that at our screening too. I also didn't know if it was me, but I thought the subtitles were a bit too small and much too close to the bottom of the screen. Made it harder to pay attention to some of the gorgeous visuals.

Great film by the way. It definitely lingers in your mind for a while.

Yeah, the subs were almost at the bottom of the screen and they were also really blocky, like if they had no anti-aliasing on them. Shit was like a real bad fan-sub.

Voror

Noticed the Sake thing as well. I'd imagine they'd fix that for whatever home release is coming. It's ultimately minor of course I suppose.

Saw this yesterday. Loved it. Basically takes the best elements of Shinkai's previous works in one feature film.

One question:
Taki is younger than Mitsuha right?

Regiruler

I feel like it could have worked as a show given how many things happen.

There's definitely at least 3 distinct parts, maybe a 4th that overlaps.

1st part:
Start until the comet hits
2nd part:
The search until the meeting
In-between:
from the thread sequence until the comet hits again
Final part:
From the meeting until the end, when memory becomes an issue

Xe4

Banned
There's screenings all the way through Thursday, but so far none on Friday or Saturday when I will finally have the god damn time to see it. Fingers crossed that it is in theaters for just one day more than stated!

D :

There's definitely at least 3 distinct parts, maybe a 4th that overlaps.

1st part:
Start until the comet hits
2nd part:
The search until the meeting
In-between:
from the thread sequence until the comet hits again
Final part:
From the meeting until the end, when memory becomes an issue

I'd split up the 1st part even more, really.
Right where they realized they were actually swapping bodies, it cut to music. We immediately were like "welp, good episode, can't wait for the next one".

Droplet

Yeah, the subs were almost at the bottom of the screen and they were also really blocky, like if they had no anti-aliasing on them. Shit was like a real bad fan-sub.

Not to mention parts were just left untranslated if there wasn't a one to one meaning. Nothing like getting translators notes in a theater release.

Well I just saw this tonight, and I really liked it. Very cute story, and great animation.

Edit: I really want to buy a poster for this movie now, but all I can find are damn silk ones on ebay, lol. I want a theater poster.

Kyuur

Saw this tonight, subbed! I was surprised by how full the theater was considering that we're almost 2 weeks past opening and the audience would be split between sub and dub. Was awesome to experience in the setting, lots of laughs (a couple in sort of inappropriate moments but thats part of the charm too)! Film was fantastic, glad I didn't pay attention to media surrounding it to much. Almost everything was a surprise!

The ending sequences
pulled at my heartstrings, was so worried we were getting a bittersweet ending for what must have been the last 3rd of the film

Not to mention parts were just left untranslated if there wasn't a one to one meaning. Nothing like getting translators notes in a theater release.

Are you talking about the part with the
gendered self-reference
? That's the only instance I remember and it was fine, doubt the joke could have worked any other way in English and it got tons of laughter in my theater.

Jims

The movie is legitimately good, subtittled and dubbed. Even if I wasn't into Anime I would still say you had to watch it. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't go to see it in theatres while you had the chance.

I would not say its overly "high concept" but it should be pretty enjoyable. You will probably like it if not for the beautiful art, great soundtrack, and possibly the plot overall that is presented.

Thanks! I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow night after work. I've never seen an anime feature in the theater, so it'll be a new experience for me.

I guess when I said "high concept" I mean I tend to like those films that have a sorta magical concept behind them, like Groundhog Day, Big, Stranger Than Fiction, stuff like that. Looking forward to seeing this. :)

Droplet

Are you talking about the part with the
gendered self-reference
? That's the only instance I remember and it was fine, doubt the joke could have worked any other way in English and it got tons of laughter in my theater.

Fix your spoiler, but yes, that and the kataware/tasogare meanings. It is definitely hard to render it in English, but it's not impossible to write something of similar meaning. They do have a dubbed version, so they must have come up with a workaround eventually. The point I'm trying to make here is that once you release into general theaters, your audience can no longer be considered people with exposure to Japanese or anime fans. The subtitles were bad enough that I'm legitimately wondering if they were the same ones they used in the world premiere at Anime Expo.

Branduil

Finally caught this today (english dub). Pretty incredible watch. As someone who hasn't dove much into anime in the past, what are some recommendations for other films like this one?
Besides the obvious Ghibli films, look at Hosoda's works, especially The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children.

Line_HTX

The dub for this movie did a fantastic job. They somehow made the "personal pronoun 'I'" not awkward and
gave complete clarity on the whole twilight / magic hour and the union Grandma was talking about.

I guess my question is
drinking the sake and falling on your back got Taki to travel back with Mitsuha's thread in the dream sequence to the morning of the festival?

If there was any gripe, I wish they showed Taki's perspective of living the day after Mitsuha's perspective of living the day. This film could've been a little longer too with
more Okudera parts. She defintiely was a great character as well.

rpmurphy

The dub for this movie did a fantastic job. They somehow made the "personal pronoun 'I'" not awkward and
gave complete clarity on the whole twilight / magic hour and the union Grandma was talking about.

I guess my question is
drinking the sake and falling on your back got Taki to travel back with Mitsuha's thread in the dream sequence to the morning of the festival?

If there was any gripe, I wish they showed Taki's perspective of living the day after Mitsuha's perspective of living the day. This film could've been a little longer too with
more Okudera parts. She defintiely was a great character as well.
He did slip and hit his head, losing consciousness so that triggered the swap.

JLG-

Took my gf to go see this dubbed and she absolutely loved it. And she's not the type to watch anime. I basically tricked her into going by not mentioning it being an anime. haha but yeah it was an amazing film. ;_;

Jims

Just got back from a subtitled screening of this. And I guess I'll confess that when I said that I hadn't seen "many" feature-length anime films, what I really meant was that I had never actually seen one before. I felt kinda weird posting in this thread around so many people who know so much about the genre. But the more GAF kept posting about this film and how crazy popular it was overseas, as well as the premise of the film, and it piqued my interest. I've watched enough episodes of Game Center CX, surely I can see a subtitled film like this one.

Thanks for the recommendation, GAF. I really enjoyed it. I did have a moment of, "I've made a terrible mistake" during the opening song and sizzle reel (just having a stylistic shock), but settled into it immediately when the story began. Lots of fun whimsical moments, lots of great character-building stuff. The do a great job of juggling both groups of characters and making them likable in their distinct ways. They were really smart that they didn't throw too many characters at us... It was just a core group of people we needed to know. It kept the story really personal and intimate.

Since I hadn't seen any other films like these, half of the time while watching this I was just in a, "Oooooh, sooooo pretty" daze. Also a lot of really nice uses of imagery and mirroring/repeating certain locations. I like how the film kinda tacitly says, "Everyone has seen Tokyo" and spent more of the time showing off the other location. It's a beautiful place, I don't blame them for emphasizing it.

Was a little surprised how much the story would accelerate sometimes. They seemed to be taking it pretty leisurely when establishing things, but then they whisked through a lot of it quickly, almost like they were getting it out of the way. I was a little surprised they yada yada yada'd some of this (isn't this the hook?), but given how the second half of the film played out, it made a lot of sense why they constructed it this way. One of my favorite video games is
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
so I approve of where the plot went.

I do think the ending is a little unsatisfying, but have trouble pinpointing why. Maybe it's a pacing thing, maybe they dragged it out a little too much, not sure. Some of the stylistic things are still a little unusual and foreign to me, so the aesthetics still take some getting used to on my part.

But overall, really great. Thanks again for bringing more awareness to a film like this and getting stuck-in-their-box people like me to try something new. This forum is a good place for that kind of thing.

Just saw the film myself. I wasnt sure what to expect going in. I knew the base premise of the film, but it ended up being so much more (
That twist was something else. I did not expect the body swap was happening between 3 years.
)
I dont really like animes and thought it was odd that it had the typical band song intro sequence, but this was really good.

One more thing:
thinking back now, how did either of them not notice a difference in year? Or general events going on?

Ratrat

Yeah, I saw this with my mom and immediately regretted it when the 'anime op' played.
Kind of love the lack of shame though.

One more thing:
thinking back now, how did either of them not notice a difference in year? Or general events going on?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that
he seemed to be aware of the time difference, they just didn't tell the audience that he knew. He casually mentioned he should tell her about the tragedy (not knowing where), having at least been clued into everyone in her timeline looking forward to it. Not sure why she didn't notice she was hopping to the future considering she presumably spent plenty of time in his phone calendar. Maybe chalk it up to general excitement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom