• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" to open in North American Theaters April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it early today. Was completely overcome. Such an amazing movie. Had no knowledge about it before so so came in kinda skeptical. I teared up so many times and actually cried maybe three times.

The last third or fourth of the movie kept me on the edge of my seat. I was silently begging that it would be a happy ending. Especially after the reveal.

Money absolutely well spent. If I can I'll definitely watch it again. But for now I'm just gonna wait and wait for a home release. I fell in love with Your Name.

Brinbe

Just got back from a subbed screening here in Toronto. Full house and yes, they applauded at the end lol.

Anyway, that was fanfuckingtastic. Funny, compelling, beautifully animated and hit all the right emotional notes. I was near-bawling at the conclusion. Easily well-worth the hype. =')

Saw the sub version earlier today and holy shit that was a good movie. It was gorgeous and the music was so on point.

I'm likely going to see the English dub too.

There were some plot conveniences but nothing that couldn't stop me from considering the mivie my likely favorite of this year. Also, was there a
timeline for how long they were switching? Maybe the news channel was telling us as much, but it wasn't really expressed any other way?

I'm with y'all. Just saw it on Sunday on a whim, not knowing much, and had to fight tears multiple times. Great movie. The characters and story were great.

Some of those story elements caught me completely off guard and having no idea what was next. Jaw dropping.

Erheller

That was a great film. I think I went in with unrealistic expectations, but it met them.

There were definitely some plot contrivances and unexplained things, but the rest of the movie worked so well (and I'm not a plot nitpicky guy anyways).

[ending spoilers i guess]
That last part was the last part of 5 cm but with a happy ending, lol

LProtag

Just got back from a late viewing.

Really glad I finally got to watch this. I enjoyed it a great deal, and think it deserves all the praise it's been getting. I didn't know what to expect going in, besides the basic premise, and was pretty surprised by the story, for the most part.

mdubs

Banned
Saw this last night in dub. Fantastic movie which lives up to the hype, and the animation is just eye melting

I saw the movie yesterday with the girlfriend.

Man, it was such a good and beautiful movie. I went in completely unaware as to the story. I had not read anything about it nor seen any preview. I only knew that Makoto Shinkai was the man behind it, and that the movie was critically acclaimed. I was so happy to see it was about body-swapping, as I'm very interested in these stories!

I read this morning how Shinkai was disappointed with the movie, as he couldn't do exactly what he wanted because they ran out of money. What are the odds he uses some of the money the movie raked in to produced a Director's Cut somehow?

I went and saw the dubbed version on Sunday night. Stephanie Sheh and Michael Sinterniklaas are great as Mitsuha and Taki. The animation goes without saying but the
comet scenes
are some of the most visually stunning I've seen in animation. The story is so likeable and easily Shinkai's best. This movie made me so goddamn happy, one of my favorite of recent memory.

Nerokis

Going to watch this tomorrow. Considering that 5 Centimeters Per Second turned me into a slobbering mess, I'm going to go ahead and bring tissues for this one.

Deadly

Wow I watched it yesterday (amazing movie) but just found out today they're going to have it in UltraAVX next week... Wondering if I should rewatch....

Jeffrey

Kinda wish there was some tl note about the
twilight thing. Is it a common superstition in Japan that weird stuff happens then?

Saw it on April 7, it's easily his best film. Came in with 5cm as my top dog, but this is a complete package.

Animation detail was on another level. Characters stepping on mud, sinking slightly into the ground and then water being displaced....my mind was blown.

Ashhong

There was one small thing that bugged me when I rewatched it yesterday, not major in any way, but can someone explain?

The movie shows Mitsuha going to school and finding "Who are you" in her notebook. Let's call that day 2. That means they had switched for the first time the day before (Day 1). However later we see Mitsuha's side of Day 1, which is when she goes to the cafe, Taki's work, etc, and she has a flashback to seeing the notebook with "who are you" written in it. How did she flashback to that, when that hadn't happened yet

My mind just goes blank these days when people technobabble lol.

The whole sake thing was confusing too but didn't really matter to the story besides the basics.

I mean, time travel shit always confusing. The sake was just "half Mitsuha" and he just hoped it would create a link to her that it would switch them again.

frontovik

Banned
Still mulling it over about whether or not to catch a screening this afternoon.

I really despise anime in general (all the 'moe' and over the top emotions bullshit, and women speaking like dolphins really gets on my nerves), despite my exception for Ghibli films.

Jeffrey

I really despise anime in general (all the 'moe' and over the top emotions bullshit, and women speaking like dolphins really gets on my nerves), despite my exception for Ghibli films.

It's more to the ghibli side of things. Moeblobs won't be critically acclaimed from western critics.

Is this playing for one week only? I would like to go see it again Saturday night, but don't know if it will still be playing then. I thought I heard it was a limited time only release.

I'm very much a casual anime dude, only really watch Ghibli movies and the super major classics in the genre (GITS, Akira, etc.) but the word of mouth on this is too stronk.

Fiancé and I are gonna drive 45 minutes to catch a matinee of this on Saturday.

There was one small thing that bugged me when I rewatched it yesterday, not major in any way, but can someone explain?

The movie shows Mitsuha going to school and finding "Who are you" in her notebook. Let's call that day 2. That means they had switched for the first time the day before (Day 1). However later we see Mitsuha's side of Day 1, which is when she goes to the cafe, Taki's work, etc, and she has a flashback to seeing the notebook with "who are you" written in it. How did she flashback to that, when that hadn't happened yet

You do realize there's a time differential between the two, right? It happened from Mitsuha's point of view, and that's all that matters.

I mean, the stuff you're complaining about is generally a product of a specific genre and not something inherent to the medium as a whole, but neither of these things are prevalent in this movie.

Ashhong

You do realize there's a time differential between the two, right? It happened from Mitsuha's point of view, and that's all that matters.

I mean, the stuff you're complaining about is generally a product of a specific genre and not something inherent to the medium as a whole, but neither of these things are prevalent in this movie.

Not sure what you mean. They trade bodies at the same time, 3 years apart obviously, but at the same time. In Mitsuha's first time in Taki's body, which would be the same time Taki is in her body for the first time, she remembers reading "Who are you" and decides to answer it by writing on Taki's arm. She should have no memory of that happening at that point in time.

LadyRiven

I've been dying to see this film for almost a year now. Finally saw it over the weekend. It was good, but I feel like the insane wait made me have unrealistically high expectations for how good it was going to be. I mean, I guess I was expecting it to be as good as say, Spirited Away, because of all the hype. It didn't feel terribly original except that Shinkai finally
gave a movie a happy ending
for once. From a visual standpoint, I think Garden of Words is my favorite, but from a story standpoint? Maybe Your Name... not really sure. I expected to cry and be TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY which did not really happen. I guess I just don't feel like it was original enough (oh boy let's mix body swapping AND time traveling tropes together!) to be Ghibli-level amazing. I don't know; maybe I'm just getting jaded. As always, it was a technically beautiful film and I'm glad I got to see it (annnd especially glad that I didn't have to see it dubbed.)

Not sure what you mean. They trade bodies at the same time, 3 years apart obviously, but at the same time. In Mitsuha's first time in Taki's body, which would be the same time Taki is in her body for the first time, she remembers reading "Who are you" and decides to answer it by writing on Taki's arm. She should have no memory of that happening at that point in time.

Why would the swapping follow such a rigidly linear path? You obviously have no trouble accepting that time travel is involved, so why does it suddenly have to line up chronologically?

The fact there is a day offset at all is the first big hint that there is a time differential in the first place.

Why would the swapping follow such a rigidly linear path? You obviously have no trouble accepting that time travel is involved, so why does it suddenly have to line up chronologically?

The fact there is a day offset at all is the first big hint that there is a time differential in the first place.
Your answer doesn't make sense to me. You seem to be introducing new explanations that aren't implied at all in the movie and don't work time-wise. I would say that the answer is
why are you/the original poster assuming that that was Mitsuha's first switch? I don't think it is. If it's because of the fact that she didn't remember anything from before, that can be explained by the haziness of their "dream" memories, something that is actually said and shown multiple times. They don't remember everything clearly when they switch back.

Is the English dub any good? Not sure what to think of the trailer.

Only theater I can find is playing it once today and once more in a few weeks and it appears to be the English dub.

llehuty

The best thing about the movie,is how it plays with expectations
with the lighthearted tone of the first third and then quickly turning the drama to 11. Caught me completely out of guard.

I watched the movie back in January when it premiered in France,and thank god I went alone to the cinema, because I became a crying mess during the last third (the twilight scene, the writting reveal later on, and the ending, itwas just an emotional hit one after theother).

Also, reminder to everyone that this didn't even got an Oscar nomination for best animated film.

Your answer doesn't make sense to me. You seem to be introducing new explanations that aren't implied at all in the movie and don't work time-wise. I would say that the answer is
why are you/the original poster assuming that that was Mitsuha's first switch? I don't think it is. If it's because of the fact that she didn't remember anything from before, that can be explained by the haziness of their "dream" memories, something that is actually said and shown multiple times. They don't remember everything clearly when they switch back.
We know it was the first switch because of how everyone around them was reacting.

Ashhong

No clue what you're saying. There is no day offset, they switch places at the same time, and there's no indication that they dont switch in chronological order. Think the only time they went to a "past" day was after the sake

I suppose this I can work with. Although there are a few things that kind of show that it was her first switch
They choose to show to the audience her discovering the body, being confused, etc, which definitely makes it seem like it was her first switch. Then she gets lost going to school etc, and Taki's friends never mention that happening before, but they do mention it to Taki the next day, which to me implies that it was the first time.

Again, it's not a big deal, just one thing that kind of stuck out to me as I watched it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No clue what you're saying. There is no day offset, they switch places at the same time, and there's no indication that they dont switch in chronological order. Think the only time they went to a "past" day was after the sake

I think you can handwave that by saying that the sake
took him back to the last day that she was alive, since that's the only place where he could have been "sent". She is still sent to his "present", which is why she freaks out when she sees the destroyed town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom