• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" to open in North American Theaters April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Just posted this in the Movies You've Seen thread:

Your Name.: Amazingly, the "Freaky Friday with romance" premise behind this film is the least crazy thing that occurs in it, but even when it goes down the route that it does in its second half, I was rather impressed by how well they managed to keep you invested in our heroes. I think it really helped that the first half is as whimsical as it is, as they explore the high jinks one can get into when put into this situation (for a PG-rated film, there sure is a lot of self-groping!) while still feeling pretty innocent and throwing in some interesting relationship snags with the people in their respective lives as they get into the habit of doing things that are probably for their counterpart's own good. Once the film shifts gears as dramatically as it does, you find a lot of perspective and a newfound appreciation for how much they spent time on exploring the characters as the film raises the stakes, making you root for them to get over the near-insurmountable task that lies ahead of them. There are some dopey moments in the film that don't make much sense, particularly a strange moment as the twist finishes revealing itself that never gets brought up again and a somewhat unsatisfactory aspect to how the big problem is resolved that feels like a stretch to just leave it as it was, and it's probably about 10 minutes too long in its last half hour as one gets the sense that the director really wanted to ratchet up the uncertainty of how everything will resolve itself without coming up with a more efficient way. But for as egregious as those flaws seem in isolation, it really does say a lot about how well the emotional core of the film is handled that I was able to buy into its insane premise and twists and found myself highly entertained and kinda moved by how much I gave a crap about how these two. It also helps that the aesthetic qualities of the film are absolutely top-notch, and there is a generally great flow to the editing that manages to keep track of all the developments with crystal-like clarity while still being rather stylish. Throw that all together, and it's hard not to be won over by its sincerity and positive vibes.

marzlapin

Watched the subbed version this afternoon and it was fantastic. Looked absolutely gorgeous, was touching but not too sappy, and the humor was on point. I guess I should check out some of Shinkai's earlier stuff, because I loved this.

Man I don't think I've felt as emotionally invested in a film for a long time.

Favorite scene spoiler:

the scene where Taki falls down in the cave and has that musubi vision of the comet is forever imprinted on me as a person, that was a fucking gorgeous visual unfolding of the central concept of musubi/interconnectedness

I fucking damn near bawled at that scene, and plenty other scenes kinda got me choked up.

... I have a tendency to cry at movies I get emotionally invested in, though... even the ones that aren't necessarily drama. I'm a dweeb.

Formless

My viewing was marred by a whole row of people who knew each other and kept talking/overly reacting in a dramatic Twitch/YT video fashion throughout the movie.

wwm0nkey

My viewing was marred by a whole row of people who knew each other and kept talking/overly reacting in a dramatic Twitch/YT video fashion throughout the movie.

Had some of this too, luckily they were far away. I did have a girl who kept on snickering through the entire fucking movie though, like what the fuck man?

Saw it in Columbus

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Big groups should be banned, they are never not annoying.

Quick

Banned
Saw it earlier, it was damn good. There were only five people inside the theatre, and staff had to check to make sure there were people actually inside. I saw the English dub.

Just for some background: Outside of watching One Punch Man recently, I haven't watched new anime since the very early-2000s. I was super into it, but fell off. I grew out of it, though I do still randomly watch a couple of shows every once in a while. The last anime movies I've seen were the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, though I hesitate to consider that "new anime" since it's an established series.

Anyway, I was hooked from the start. Not just from the story, but also the animation. It was superb, and it legitimately wowed me how gorgeous the movie looked. I think I basically fell off anime when CG started becoming commonplace, and I always thought it looked bizarre mixing it with hand-drawn animation. But it worked so well, especially the little details it's used for, and obviously the visuals used for the comet.

Story-wise, it was very straightforward and fantastic. I figured it could be a challenge having to continuously jump between perspectives, but the movie handles it well. I also appreciated that the movie didn't hit you over the head with explaining everything. On top of it all, both Mitsuha and Taki were equally great characters to start with.

The huge contrast in their lives were done well. Less telling, more showing was the best approach, really. The movie explains when it felt it needed to, otherwise, it just lets you figure things out along the way.

I found a lot of parallels to In Your Eyes, and while I don't remember too much detail from that movie, it was what kept coming up for me as the movie went on.

The music was perfect. I don't know how else to put it. It really sold me. I initially didn't think much of it, just that it was your typical indie tracklist, but as the movie went on, it just immersed me even more into what's happening. By the end of it, I was looking it up on Spotify.

Best scene for me:
The mountain scene, where Taki and Mitsuha see each other during the sunset. Jesus fuck the end of that almost killed me - "Hey, let's write our names down so we don't forget" *POP, MITSUHA'S GONE*. That was a kick in the face. THEN she looks at her hand later on to see what he wrote and it just says "I Love You" - MY EMOTIONS.

Movie ended in what may be seen as cheesy, but I ate that shit up for real.

TissueBox

Finally watched it. Not a bad Shinkai flick at all.

I can't help but draw comparisons to 5 Cm and another movie by another certain Japanese animator that I don't want to disclose lest I spoil elements of this one, two movies I love (the former being quite the guilty pleasure), though this is not as a detriment. However, I will say that it's basically as if that movie, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and the other one,
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
, met and had a gorgeous, confident baby.

While I honestly still prefer the other two, and though those had me going for more tissues and feeling more consistently entranced, this is a worthwhile addition to the pantry, if just for the visuals alone.

The themes of disconnect and yearning I feel are conveyed very robustly here, even if the grander scale gets ever close to feeling spread too thin. Whereas 5 Centimeters was the poem, this is the book (literally). Not quite as longwinded as his stuff in between either.

In any case, my favorite moment was actually the part
that he finally returned to Mitsuha's body after drinking the sake, because I LAUGHED and am juvenile, and the moment she went to meet him in Tokyo for the first time -- I went dense there and forgot that... because they were 3 years a part and apparently she wasn't aware of that, that would have been their first meeting... that moment was the one in which my heart skipped a beat and was like, awwhrgh...

A lot of other visually striking stuff though that will bathe your eyes, soo I'd say... worth checking out! As many have said, it shouldn't work as well as it does, but lo, Shinkai never quite trips or sends it reeling down. So it ended up quite nice, quite nice.

(Subbed.)

How's the English dub for the film?

It didn't stand out as bad which is always how I judge a dub, for better or worse. Liked the movie overall, hit some decent emotional beats and had good humor. Don't quite get the hype for it other than looking phenomenal like all Shinkai movies do, but it was definitely worth a watch.

yyr

My wife and I actually watched this (subbed) a few weeks ago. It was on a flight, and we watched it simultaneously on our seat-back screens.

I was seriously wondering if anyone was looking at the two grown adults crying their eyes out in the middle of their flight.

We loved the whole thing (despite a small bit of confusion and/or unexplained phenomena, who cares) and the ending was just too good. We were like fountains, seriously. We'll eventually own it.

rpmurphy

Any opinions on the subbed vs dubbed versions?
I'll expand a bit on what I wrote earlier. The one main aspect that the English dub doesn't utilize is the rural vernacular and accent that helps place the setting in the original. There are other parts that don't translate well, such as honorifics and jargon, but they did a serviceable job to localize them, actually. The sub version has additional text where complicated key wordings can be more accurately explained. It can get sub-heavy at these times though, so it can seriously detract from the viewing experience.

There are some small oddities like I believe the song vocals ran a bit longer in one part that covered a bit of spoken word, and as far as VO quality goes, I personally feel that the original feminized voice for Taki (the boy) when Mitsuha is in him is better.

All of these are rather minor and it's definitely enjoyable just watching the English dub. If you're concerned with translation (the subtitles themselves have some loss in translation anyway, mind you) but also want to fully take in the beautiful animation, imo watch both.

elhaym

I went and saw it twice over the weekend and really think that the 2nd time helped me figure out a lot of stuff that I outright missed/didn't realize the first time. Looking forward to a home release so I can keep picking it apart. Everything seemed to tie (hah. hah.) so well together that the whole thing felt really satisfying.

Best scene for me:
The mountain scene, where Taki and Mitsuha see each other during the sunset. Jesus fuck the end of that almost killed me - "Hey, let's write our names down so we don't forget" *POP, MITSUHA'S GONE*. That was a kick in the face. THEN she looks at her hand later on to see what he wrote and it just says "I Love You" - MY EMOTIONS.

Yep, this was THE impact for me too. I don't really know what I was expecting from the movie but this was the top of the rollercoaster...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
How's the dub? Unfortunately subtitled showings in my area are 4:25pm (Before I get off of work) and 10pm (Past my bedtime)

The 7PM showing is dubbed, which isn't how I prefer to view foreign films, but it may be a necessary evil this go-round.

TissueBox

Oh yeah that part where
she looked at her hand and all it had written on it was "I love you"
... that may correctly be the movie's winning moment. Almost choked up there. :p

So I still had money on my gift card and since I found out yesterday that they expanded showtimes in my area I decided to go see Your Name again, this time the English Dub. Since its Monday and the showtime was 2:55pm there was expectedly only ~6 people within the theatre with me compared to my completely full theatre viewing on Friday for the Subbed version.

Honestly, I have to say Funimation really went all out. Both the Subbed and Dubbed versions were great. There were a couple moments where I had correctly assumed earlier in this thread that they would have had difficulty localizing, but all in all the Dubbed version was way beyond what I had expected it to be. The English Voice Actors did an amazing job playing their roles in a way that most Dubbed Anime falls short in doing. It felt natural and they were super expressive.

I even was impressed that Funimation went the extra mile of redubbing the movies OST in English by its original band. The songs turned out just as good as well which makes the experience all that much better

I do think I enjoyed the Subbed version slightly more overall, but only marginally. Then again, I am naturally biassed towards subs because I like the original voices which had been directed how the director wanted them to be. I'm also used to doing the cross eyed dance of reading subtitles and watching the visuals on screen. That said, I can find no faults with the English Dub and even in the parts which I had assumed would be difficult to translate it, they handled it as best as they could within the framework of what they could do it.

Since this was the Dubbed version though, I was free to pay more attention to the visuals and I have to say, the film is even more beautiful when you can pay full attention to everything that's going on and it just makes the moments all that more powerful as I teared and got choked up to a greater intensity than I did within the Japanese version since I didn't have to focus on holding it back so I could continue reading.

All in all, I can't wait to get the Blue-Ray when it (hopefully) officially comes out later this year. Definitely favourite movies of all time.

Strimei

I had a thought while at work today.

How does the dub handle the scene early on where
Mitsuha is in Taki's body and is trying to figure out which pronouns he uses?

(Not sure if its really a spoiler but felt better safe than sorry)

I had a thought while at work today.

How does the dub handle the scene early on where
Mitsuha is in Taki's body and is trying to figure out which pronouns he uses?

(Not sure if its really a spoiler but felt better safe than sorry)

I described this earlier in the thread. I think it's just back a few pages.

It's been a long time since I was so emotionally moved by a movie, but man, this one really got me. Saw it early this afternoon and still feeling emotional. The dream-like sequences are done in a way that somehow makes them feel like real, grounded, magic. I don't know how else to describe it. I feel like other animated films have tried to do what Your Name does SO WELL. Those artistic expression sequences never do much for me. They drove me nuts here.

Can't say enough good things about it. Going to be thinking about this for a long, long time. I still can't believe it lived up to the hype. I went in ready to be disappointed

Totakeke

I've watched the subs months ago and loved the movie. I watched the dub today and didn't like the dub that much, but the songs in English bothered me more. The tone of the singing voices in English just bothered and distracted me. Are the songs still in English if you watch the subs here?

I've watched the subs months ago and loved the movie. I watched the dub today and didn't like the dub that much, but the songs in English bothered me more. The tone of the singing voices in English just bothered and distracted me. Are the songs still in English if you watch the subs here?

I saw it subbed over the weekend. Songs were in Japanese. Loved the film, btw.

Koppai

I wasn't able to travel to a theater this weekend to see it. I hate that movies like this don't get put into the smaller theaters nearby.

They are in Japanese. However, i believe the lead singer of radwimps native language is English. I havent heard the english versions of the songs though so I cant comment on the tone.

Saw this over the weekend, on a whim. I'm not a big anime fan, but GAF's hype convinced me to give it a shot.

Really liked it - thanks for the recommendation, all.

Watching this tomorrow Tuesday. Gonna be in English! First time watching it.

Although it looks like I'm the only one watching it. No one else has reserved tickets. This will be...interesting.

Mistle

I saw this awhile ago in theaters, the sub.

I was detached form the whole thing, couldn't get into it at all. Don't really understand the hype personally but of course don't judge anybody who loved it. Just wasn't for me I guess.

Interested in giving the dub a shot, I feel like I missed something crucial in my first watch when looking at the praise this movie has received.

ChrisD

Had some of this too, luckily they were far away. I did have a girl who kept on snickering through the entire fucking movie though, like what the fuck man?

Saw it in Columbus

This happened to me. A group of three girls who were laughing at stuff that wasn't one bit funny. I mean, they all three full-on laughed when
the comet split
. It really bugged me, because I'm bad at tuning crowds out while watching movies.

I want to buy this now when it comes out on BluRay (hopefully in US?). It was a great film. The overuse of the groping has me a bit hesitant on showing my Christian family, but I definitely want to rewatch.

Jeffrey

Enjoyed it. simple premise but the pacing kept it alive and enjoyable. I really do love this guy's character design style. It invokes the oldies yet feels modern. Adorable expressions, but doesn't feel like modern 'moe' either.

beautiful as hell too.

Anyone else notice that the subtitles are crazy low? like no margins at the bottom at all. Took me a bit to get used to. Generally hate watching subbed stuff at theaters lol.

The twist is still a bit odd, and really only works for the viewers due to the movie format, but its less believable...
I dont know about japan, but at least in the US, writing out the full date is fairly common. Whenever you sign in at doctors appoints, sign checks,
I assume the receipts at the cafe or restaurants have the full date? School assignments require date. School syllabus. Guess you could had wave it away in which switching bodies is 'dream like' and maybe details are missed, but at some point they seemed really 'in control' so idk. Maybe if they made it a bit more wistful or something :p

did tear up a bit at the end, but im a sap :p

the 'southern white lady' mom next to me really enjoyed it too lol. She was with her daughter. Glad this movie seemingly has wide appeal and not just for weebs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom