• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" to open in North American Theaters April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sub showing was pretty empty although it was 2:30 show. Shin Godzilla and the last DBZ "film" were way more packed when I went.

Same, either of those was far more full for us. That makes me kinda sad and fearful for other anime films like A Silent Voice.

Ah okay, having seen it dubbed (they were only offering subtitled at 10 tonight and we couldn't make it) they struggled with that scene. They ultimately did okay, and conveyed the same meaning, but it wasn't as funny. Granted, only five people total showed up to my screening, so its not like there was much of an audience to burst out laughing anyway.

Our theatre was packed and from the sounds of random conversations I tuned into everyone was a huge fan of Anime, so we had that going for us. I figured it would have been complex to translate into english, especially since like you said, we would just say
Me or I'm

UberTag

Can anyone comment on whether the dub was good or not?
Won't be catching the dub until later this month but I have no concerns whatsoever given that Mike Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh are running the show. They're two of the most talented folks in dub adaptations/localizations. I would be shocked if it was anything but good.

Three clips have been uploaded onto YouTube if you want to get a feel for the quality...
- Switching Places
- The Day a Star Fell
- Body of a Stranger

Joeku

So, the theatre closest to me that's playing it (Landmark Cinemas, in a suburb east of Toronto) says the film is "English with Japanese subtitles".

...I'm not quite sure what that means. Dubbed but with Japanese-like words and on-screen notes to explain them (like the watashi thing) or...is that a wildly inaccurate description, or what?

UberTag

Weird. Toronto screenings, both subbed and dubbed, were basically sold out today.
That's not so weird. Toronto boasts a vast number of movie enthusiasts... arguably more in a concentrated area than just about any other Western market. Limited screenings for just about anything almost always sell out. Certainly for far less high profile and commercial films than Your Name.

A number of markets in the States don't exhibit that tendency.

So, the theatre closest to me that's playing it (Landmark Cinemas, in a suburb east of Toronto) says the film is "English with Japanese subtitles".

...I'm not quite sure what that means. Dubbed but with Japanese-like words and on-screen notes to explain them (like the watashi thing) or...is that a wildly inaccurate description, or what?
My bet is they got that backwards and meant the opposite. Japanese with English subtitles.

frontovik

Banned
Forgot about this.

There's limited screenings here in Vancouver. I'll have the opportunity to see what the big deal is.

Busaiku

The theater I went to was about 1/2 Full, but it was a smaller area, maybe 100 seats at most.
Resurrection F was completely packed (in the same theater), and that was like a 300 seat one.
Digimon Tri played in my area, but there were only like 10 people.

Anyways, I absolutely loved it.
It loved up to the hype and then some.
It was cheesy at the end, but I felt like it earned that.

Watched in English, and it was fantastic.
Michael Sinterniklaas knocked it out hard.

Going again tomorrow.
Gah, I want the Blu Ray now.

Convinced a friend to go with me and see it tonight. Just left the theater. I… Honestly don't understand what the big deal about this movie is? It was just like any generic anime about high school but condensed into a movie.

I really truly honestly wanted to love this movie. I was so excited that an anime was getting all this great press and awards. But this is probably one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen.

Now mind you, it's not a bad movie. It's cute. But I cannot for the life of me tell you why people are so crazy about this movie. I don't get it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the big part is that Shinkai makes beautiful looking films but with somewhat inaccessible stories. There's also the desire for someone to be put up as the next Miyazaki because he retired (before unretiring lol).

I think the big part is that Shinkai makes beautiful looking films but with somewhat inaccessible stories. There's also the desire for someone to be put up as the next Miyazaki because he retired (before unretiring lol).

I echo the statement. The film was beautiful. The scenery was gorgeous. But the themes and the way that the storyline is presented was a lot more cumbersome than it could have been.

Ratrat

I echo the statement. The film was beautiful. The scenery was gorgeous. But the themes and the way that the storyline is presented was a lot more cumbersome than it could have been.
You had the wrong expectations I think. Its a beautiful, accesible blockbuster anime that managed to resonate with people who dont usually like anime or Shinkai.

You had the wrong expectations I think. Its a beautiful, accesible blockbuster anime that managed to resonate with people who dont usually like anime or Shinkai.

I mean kudos to the film for crossing over with the GP, and maybe it's non-anime fans that are star struck, but I can't imagine big anime fans seeing anything they haven't already seen before with this film.

As soon as the time twist was revealed, I pretty much guessed the rest of the movie and was right. I think the film The Time Traveler's Wife does a much better job or telling a time jinx love story. The Lake House too.

I really did think this was a cute movie, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I feel really letdown by all the hype.

zeelman

I was hoping to see it dubbed, but my theater's website didn't make it clear what version they were showing so I saw it subbed. It was a great movie, though. I guess I'll just see it dubbed whenever I buy it.

sojour

To me, this film screams Shinkai. So I guess I don't understand your sentiment about people enjoying this film but doesn't usually like Shinkai.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To me, this film screams Shinkai. So I guess I don't understand your sentiment about people enjoying this film but doesn't usually like Shinkai.
Shinkai's films are either more obtuse and more thematic than plot focused or
have sad endings
. This film is neither, so I think it's no wonder that audiences in Japan ate it up.

TBH, I just expected a slice of life and walked away content, and it looked pretty enough. I personally like something more fantastical, like Miyazaki's work, but I enjoyed it for what it is. So don't let the awards and accolades really mess with your expectations, if you expect something much more than what you may see in the movie description, you'll most likely walk away disappointed. If you just want to relax, I think this is a great movie to check out.

sojour

Shinkai's films are either more obtuse and more thematic than plot focused or
have sad endings
. This film is neither, so I think it's no wonder that audiences in Japan ate it up.

I see, and I agree, especially with the second sentiment.

Quick

Banned
Watching this with a couple of friends in about a week or so. Hopefully it's still in theatres by then.

urfe

I watched this in Japan last year and loved it. I usually don't watch or like anime. My wife watched it with me, actively dislikes anime and also loved it. Interesting to see people only think it was okay.

And a heads up for anyone going to see it: do NOT watch it dubbed.

• After more than 100+ episodes of her as Sailor Moon, I can't disassociate Stephanie Sheh with Usagi
  • They dubbed (what I'm assuming) were a few Japanese insert songs and they were godawful and really distracting

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And a heads up for anyone going to see it: do NOT watch it dubbed.
  • After more than 100+ episodes of her as Sailor Moon, I can't disassociate Stephanie Sheh with Usagi
  • They dubbed (what I'm assuming) were a few Japanese insert songs and they were godawful and really distracting
Yeah, Mike Hattsu posted samples on the previous page. It's the same band, but they just did their songs in English. (For some reason Japan got these instead of the Japanese versions of the songs...)

Erheller

Seeing this on Tuesday night because of my friends' schedules

As someone who likes Shinkai's schlep, I can't wait to see it.

KraytarJ

I went to the first sub showing near me, which was weirdly enough at 5:30, and it was mostly full. The first couple rows were empty but almost all the actually good seats seemed to be filled.

I mean kudos to the film for crossing over with the GP, and maybe it's non-anime fans that are star struck, but I can't imagine big anime fans seeing anything they haven't already seen before with this film.

As soon as the time twist was revealed, I pretty much guessed the rest of the movie and was right. I think the film The Time Traveler's Wife does a much better job or telling a time jinx love story. The Lake House too.

I really did think this was a cute movie, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I feel really letdown by all the hype.
The movie was amazing. Gorgeous visuals, music, and attention to detail. The plot isn't very original but it was well-told. Nothing was overly convoluted and the themes weren't murky. It resonated with me. Not everything has to be original to strike a chord with you, but the combination of music, visuals, and plot was really magical.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked the movie. Three separate musical montages was too much though.

Loved how the characters used an app similar to Day One, which I'm an avid user of.

Shinkai's visuals are always a treat. I'm really curious about his next work, he'll probably feel more pressured after how much of a hit this was.

Couple nitpicks:
it bothered me that they spent seemingly weeks doing the switcheroo and never noticed the different years, all the while doing school activities and using an app with a calendar. I guess it's possible, but it was a stretch. Also that they didn't try to communicate with each other more and instead jumped right off the bat onto "ok, I'll live your life whenever this happens and we'll leave it at that". I know calling didn't work, but still.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I liked the movie. Three separate musical montages was too much though.

Shinkai's visuals are always a treat. Loved how the characters used an app similar to Day One, which I'm an avid user of.

Couple nitpicks:
it bothered me that they spent seemingly weeks doing the switcheroo and never noticed the different years, all the while doing school activities and using an app with a calendar. I guess it's possible, but it was a stretch. Also that they didn't try to communicate with each other more and instead jumped right off the bat onto "ok, I'll live your life whenever this happens and we'll leave it at that". I know calling didn't work, but still.
I'll say that this is the one thing that bothered me as well.

Wensih

My girlfriend wanted to see it tonight, but our theatre was sold out (can never buy movie tickets at our local theatre after the renovations that removed all the seating for luxury seating). I'm more hesitant as the trailer was very off-putting, but if we can actually get tickets at some point then maybe this weekend we will.

Is it at all like Only Yesterday? Because that was a phenomenal film, a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film, but still a Ghibli film which people seem to be deriding in this thread -- probably because of the mainstream recognition and usually the only touchstone Americans have for Japanese animation films.

Edit: And when I mean in the vein of Only Yesterday, I mean focusing in on the everyday and possibly mundane aspects of life. I know Only Yesterday was more of memories of childhood which does not appear to be what this film is attempting, but the as another poster said the first thing the trailer to Your Name reminded me of was Freaky Friday but in the backdrop of highschool anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My girlfriend wanted to see it tonight, but our theatre was sold out (can never buy movie tickets at our local theatre after the renovations that removed all the seating for luxury seating). I'm more hesitant as the trailer was very off-putting, but if we can actually get tickets at some point then maybe this weekend we will.

Is it at all like Only Yesterday? Because that was a phenomenal film, a non-Miyazaki Ghibli film, but still a Ghibli film which people seem to be deriding in this thread -- probably because of the mainstream recognition and usually the only touchstone Americans have for Japanese animation films.
Only Yesterday is the best Ghibli film. lol

But anyway, I don't think there are any similarities... thematically it's different. Maybe you could say they're slice of life and there's light romance, but otherwise, I'm not sure. Of course, there's a touch of mono no aware, but it's different this time around because Shinkai changed up the formula.

Edit: And when I mean in the vein of Only Yesterday, I mean focusing in on the everyday and possibly mundane aspects of life. I know Only Yesterday was more of memories of childhood which does not appear to be what this film is attempting, but the as another poster said the first thing the trailer to Your Name reminded me of was Freaky Friday but in the backdrop of highschool anime.

I liked this better than Only Yesterday, and I saw it in theaters the past year when it came to the Alamo Drafthouse. Only Yesterday was decent, but I found it easier for this to catch my interest. They have different themes, and there is more of a plot to this one with the 3rd act. I think Only Yesterday would relate more with an older crowd even though they are both slice of life, since it is an older theme of looking back at childhood, while Your Name is more about getting to know someone by living in their shoes.

DVCY201

Finally. I got to see it. And, it does not live up to the hype for me. But it's still good, a solid 8/10 at least. I think there are too many plot holes and dropped threads and general, why is that happening? But I didn't regret my time with it.

Wolf Children remains Queen.

UberTag

Couple nitpicks:
it bothered me that they spent seemingly weeks doing the switcheroo and never noticed the different years, all the while doing school activities and using an app with a calendar. I guess it's possible, but it was a stretch.
Even discounting the year discrepancy which, logically, they should have clued into, there's also the nagging fact that the media couldn't stop blabbing about the impending comet sighting in Mitsuha's rural village while there was, obviously, not a peep about it in Tokyo.

I still bought into this given that both characters had active school and social lives, were somewhat self-absorbed and were juggling a lot of baggage between the jumps back and forth. This is one instance where the tight movie pacing helped because it would have stuck out more as a plot device had this been told in a lengthier format.

I saw this movie's premier at Anime Expo last year, and just watched it again tonight. Still absolutely phenomenal. Highly urge everyone to go out an see it. It's a must watch for everyone. Tragic that this is a limited release. Also very surprised they dubbed the song.

Jacob

The twist bothered me in that I can not suspend my disbelief enough to think that neither character noticed the time discrepancy while they were in the other's body, but the bigger issue for me was that I can't really get invested in a romance between two characters who barely interact at any point in the film. Even in 5 cm/s, where the characters seemingly forget that phones are a thing, they at least knew each other previously and had a really good scene together in the first part of the film. (All in all, I would put Your Name's story above 5 cm/s though.) I think Voices of a Distant Star remains Shinkai's best take on the "distant lovers" theme because it makes the impossibility of communication a part of the SF premise rather than the characters refusing to take the initiative. Your Name sort of did the same thing, but the characters still didn't make much effort to actually get to know each other, which makes the climax ring hollow for me.

This may have been a case of inflated expectations since I was feeling warmer towards Shinkai after Garden of Words and I may have been swept up in the hype to some extent, but yeah. Obviously it's not a bad film by any means and it looks great (although I don't think it's Shinkai's best visually), but I came away feeling rather disappointed. Don't mean to begrudge anyone else their enjoyment of the film, of course.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I saw this movie's premier at Anime Expo last year, and just watched it again tonight. Still absolutely phenomenal. Highly urge everyone to go out an see it. It's a must watch for everyone. Tragic that this is a limited release. Also very surprised they dubbed the song.
Apparently the band sung it in English and Japanese. You can sort of hear the Engrish. lol

The twist bothered me in that I can not suspend my disbelief enough to think that neither character noticed the time discrepancy while they were in the other's body, but the bigger issue for me was that I can't really get invested in a romance between two characters who barely interact at any point in the film. Even in 5 cm/s, where the characters seemingly forget that phones are a thing, they at least knew each other previously and had a really good scene together in the first part of the film. (All in all, I would put Your Name's story above 5 cm/s though.) I think Voices of a Distant Star remains Shinkai's best take on the "distant lovers" theme because it makes the impossibility of communication a part of the SF premise rather than the characters refusing to take the initiative. Your Name sort of did the same thing, but the characters still didn't make much effort to actually get to know each other, which makes the climax ring hollow for me.

This may have been a case of inflated expectations since I was feeling warmer towards Shinkai after Garden of Words and I may have been swept up in the hype to some extent, but yeah. Obviously it's not a bad film by any means and it looks great (although I don't think it's Shinkai's best visually), but I came away feeling rather disappointed. Don't mean to begrudge anyone else their enjoyment of the film, of course.
This is why I say it's his most palatable film. I almost feel like he wrote all the contrivances to get the two main characters together at the end. That's why it is 3 years and not something bigger - it's enough for them to have a misunderstanding, but they can still hook up at the end. Imagine if it was 50 years, and they met but she's like a grandmother or something but they can still share a moment together because of their connection. But then you don't get the dokidokiaisheteru ending. lol

Keyouta

Saw the first sub showing at a nearby theatre at 5:20, packed except for the front row below the screen. Loved the movie, I came out thinking it was better than what I thought it was going to be. Probably #1 in anime movies in my ranking, even with the plot problems.

Scavenger

I've seen it a few weeks ago at the Holland Animation Film Festival in Utrecht. There were only 2 screenings with no regular theatrical release in sight. Good film, but did not live quite up to the hype.

Anyone know how long it usually takes Funimation to put out Bluerays?
Blu-ray release will probably happen around fall and Funi has only just announced their June slate. From what I remember about comments made by Anime Limited, who own the UK and French distribution rights, Toho demands about a year distance between Japanese theatrical release and western home video release. Toho also didn't want early VOD releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom