• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" to open in North American Theaters April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTA

Still haven't ever watched my copy of Garden (I'll get to it soon!) but lately I've been having a great time rewatching his other movies with one of my roommates who hadn't seen them before. Hopefully there's a screening near us so we can go to it. As someone who's been a fan of Shinkai for a good while now, it's been kinda surreal to see this suddenly do so well.

PR_rambo

Banned
It's pretty great, it is not better than the Miyazaki films it has outgrossed, but it is fantastic. I think it deserves an oscar nom at the least.

Watched the trailer. Looked like Freaky Friday.

I'm sure that's woefully underselling it, but the trailer definitely didn't blow me away or present any crazy unique concepts.

That's the point. The movie turns very heavily at one point and saying anything more would ruin the wow factor and the entire second half.

Let me just say that it starts freaky friday and it ends with everyone crying in the theater. But for the good reasons.

Its amazing

Dont spoil yourselves, don't ruin the movie for yourselves

Chalk me up as another person who didn't really understand all the excitement after watching the trailer, but was blown away by the actual movie.

It really was a great story. Go in with as little information as possible to make the most out of it.

Saw this movie during my stay in Japan and it was one of the highlights. Didn't get a lot of the details since no subs but hoping to catch a subbed version during its US theatrical run!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Been a fan of Shinkai since Voices of a Distant Star. Nice to see him finally blowing up internationally like this.

UberTag

It's pretty great, it is not better than the Miyazaki films it has outgrossed, but it is fantastic. I think it deserves an oscar nom at the least.
Given the strength of the other animated features this year, I feel the last-minute eligibility screening in Los Angeles was a mistake. I mean, it's a thoughtful gesture that the LA Film Critics doled out their Best Animated Feature award for it... but there's almost no chance of it landing an Oscar nom up against the likes of Zootopia, Kubo, Moana, Finding Dory, The Red Turtle and whatever title GKIDS is backing (which seems to be My Life as a Zucchini). Considering that GKIDS has a 3-year nomination streak running, my expectations is that Dory will get squeezed out from the above group.

I would love to be wrong on this but I think they should have made a play for 2017 instead.

Raysoul

1a3.jpg

kewlmyc

Given the strength of the other animated features this year, I feel the last-minute eligibility screening in Los Angeles was a mistake. I mean, it's a thoughtful gesture that the LA Film Critics doled out their Best Animated Feature award for it... but there's almost no chance of it landing an Oscar nom up against the likes of Zootopia, Kubo, Moana, Finding Dory, The Red Turtle and whatever title GKIDS is backing (which seems to be My Life as a Zucchini). Considering that GKIDS has a 3-year nomination streak running, my expectations is that Dory will get squeezed out from the above group.

I would love to be wrong on this but I think they should have made a play for 2017 instead.

I'm sure they wanted the Oscar nom to help push theater sales. That and the band who did songs for this movie are redoing them in English so that probably took some time.

Bishop89

it looks good.

How did it become so popular?

I have seen shit all advertisement in Aus.
I assume word of mouth just exploded

UberTag

I'm sure they wanted the Oscar nom to help push theater sales. That and the band who did songs for this movie are redoing them in English so that probably took some time.
Oh I have no doubt that's what they wanted. I just don't think FUNi has the political clout to topple the GKIDS/Ghibli lobbies... and the other 3 films are veritable locks.

Ratrat

Its not going to win the oscar. It took Miyazaki's Spirited Away vs Pixar's Cars for an anime film to finally win. That kind of quality gap wont happen again for a long time if ever.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
it looks good.

I think I heard about it through Madman enewsletters and maybe Japanese foundation newsletters.

The theatre wasn't packed when I saw it (chatswood, mandarin centre). But there were a few people there.

edit: to answer your question, its a really good anime, thats why its popular.

Stalk

I missed basically every showing in the UK :( Or they were too far away or at inconvenient times, bummed it's not out on blu ray till october as well.

xk0sm0sx

I didn't like the story too much, even though it's one of the best anime movies by far. Emphasis on anime.
Had it been done in live action, I think the impact wouldn't have been this big.

I like Shin Godzilla more :x

Zalasta

Saw it during my international flight last week. Really liked it except for the nonsensical resolution, but it's anime, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

ShyMel

Was waiting for Funimation to announce the date. Will go see with my boyfriend if there is a close enough showing.

DiGiKerot

Not even the best anime movie of 2016. I only went to see it 3 times.

That said, it's good and you should probably see it if you have a chance and you don't outright hate cartoons or anime. It doesn't really have the kind of content that makes anime go down a little roughly with some parts of the foreign audience.

I'd much rather watch A Silent Voice or any of the Kizumonogatari movies again on any given day given the choice, though!

wbEMX

Its not going to win the oscar. It took Miyazaki's Spirited Away vs Pixar's Cars for an anime film to finally win. That kind of quality gap wont happen again for a long time if ever.

Uuuuhh, Cars was in '06. Spirited Away actually went up against Ice Age, Lilo & Stitch, Spirit and Treasure Planet. Spirited Away not winning that year would've been a scandal.

But I agree, it will not win the Oscar. Disney will snub it away again because of either Zootopia or Moana. I loved Zootopia, but Your Name winning would be amazing.

Ratrat

Uuuuhh, Cars was in '06. Spirited Away actually went up against Ice Age, Lilo & Stitch, Spirit and Treasure Planet. Spirited Away not winning that year would've been a scandal.

But I agree, it will not win the Oscar. Disney will snub it away again because of either Zootopia or Moana. I loved Zootopia, but Your Name winning would be amazing.
Oh, so it has to be a year without Pixar entirely...
Even then it wouldn't matter now that Disney's out of its slump.

UberTag

This discussion wasn't even about winning an Oscar.
It was about getting a nomination and netting exposure from that.
Winning isn't even in the equation. That honor is going to Zootopia. Which is a better film than Your Name so I'm perfectly fine with that.

Ratrat

This discussion wasn't even about winning an Oscar.
It was about getting a nomination and netting exposure from that.
Winning isn't even in the equation. That honor is going to Zootopia. Which is a better film than Your Name so I'm perfectly fine with that.
I'm fine with Zootopia. But it will probably be Moana. And getting nominated doeant mean shit.

it looks good.

at event cinemas in sydney, i remember it going from a one day only thing, to a two day thing to like a two week thing

turns out there was more demand then expected i assume

never underestimate the power of weebs (myself included)

For East Coast people, the film's actually going to be one of the selections in the New York International Children's Film Festival, February 25th in the evening.

Japanese with English subtitles.

Sometime next week, they open up for the general public.

If one is a member of the group connected to the NYICFF, then they can buy tickets now.
Got ya, thanks. Realized after I posted I'm going to be in New Orleans during the premiere, but I'm sure it'll be at IFC (and hopefully other theaters) in April. Huge Shinkai fan here, hate that I have to keep waiting, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can someone who has watched this tell me if
the fact that the story involves time travel
is a big spoiler?

I don't see it mentioned in the synopses, but a friend who watched it in Japan just blurted that out to me and I was surprised to hear it. And there's a post in page one of this thread that also mentions it openly.

Just want to know if it's a story element that becomes clear early on, or if it's supposed to be a big twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom