• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Briarios

A few hundred out of hundred of thousands is nothing and perfectly normal for any electronics.

Yeah, it may be normal, but the media response is skewed. You can't blast dozens of PS4 articles on defects then ignore it with the XBox One. That's called bias.

turtle553

Xbox one has an appeared GSOD

Yeah, there are some of those. I haven't unpacked mine yet, but it sounds like the update process can either happen really quickly or hang for a long time.

It definitely sucks to have issues and I've been fairly lucky. My launch 360 lasted 6+ years before RROD.

I wonder if these XBOX issues are just more obvious. You put a disc in and it grinds or get GSOD and know something is wrong. The PS4 issues seemed to be more convoluted, like multiple HDMI cables, TV firmware, and pulling drives. A lot more troubleshooting going on, so a lot more discussion.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just heard back from the manager at GameStop. He's doing all he can to find 2 replacement units for me from other stores, but I may not be able to get them until Sunday when their preorders that aren't picked up get let go.

I understand that. I'm just pointing out how quick IGN was to write an article about PS4 hardware failure when there were so few reported cases.

But one of the failed consoles belonged to IGN, they also emphasized that they may have just been unlucky and there was no way to tell how widespread it was. IGN (and Kotaku) did nothing wrong by reporting failures, it was their duty to present it in a level headed manner since they had been affected.

gCgbpUm.png

That's exactly what my first Xbox 360's disc drive did. After about 8 months, it sounded like a goddamn lawnmower when I'd put discs in before it evenutally took a shit and died. It didn't damage my discs though, so there was that.

GenericUser

I had to replace my original xbox 360 23 times before I was blessed with one that would not randomly refuse to read the disc. I don't trust hardware by microsoft and I dare anybody to do so.

Frodo

Haven't read the thread, but I hope people are being as cautious to criticize this as they were with the hundreds of verified purchases 1 star reviews that got a faulty PS4 from Amazon.

Lynn616

I thought it was funny. Humor with a bit of creativity is not trolling. Stop abusing the definition. I don't even take the word seriously anymore.

I though I was in the Launch Thread. I have both tabs open. In here it would not be a troll you are right.

DJwest

I had to replace my original xbox 360 23 times before I was blessed with one that would not randomly refuse to read the disc. I don't trust hardware by microsoft and I dare anybody to do so.
23 times ? Dude you're persistent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Great news. GameStop manager is overnighting two new systems to me, will arrive tomorrow. I know it's fashionable to hate on GameStop but when they're following policy and going the extra mile, I have NO complaints.

23 times???? I thought my 8 PSOnes and 5 X360's were a record. Wow.

danielcw

I don't trust hardware by microsoft and I dare anybody to do so.

The make great mice & keyboards,
or at least made them, don't know about their current ones.
My original Xbox & and all my Xbox & 360 controllers still work well.
My 360 was replaced once though.

The best headset I ever had was published by Microsoft.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
See, I gave up after 4 dead consoles, so, yeah...that sounds insane.

I gave up after 2.. Wild thing is I still have a fat 80GB Metal Gear version PS3, I bought a recent one thinking my old PS3 was dead....turns out I just needed to fix the disc drive.

But this next gen looks and sounds awfully last gen...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jesus Christ, what happened to consoles that just worked?

lol... umm... consoles got moving parts? Seriously.

The last console that "just worked" was the N64. And the one before that was the SNES and Genesis.

Hell, even the Sega CD and Turbo CD were prone to failures WELL WITHIN their expected current-generation lifetime.

edit - actually the gamecube and dreamcast were both pretty fucking awesome.

hwateber

Great news. GameStop manager is overnighting two new systems to me, will arrive tomorrow. I know it's fashionable to hate on GameStop but when they're following policy and going the extra mile, I have NO complaints.
Great customer service. Nobody wants to drop $500 for a console (or two) and not have them work

Biker19

Banned
Err....why exactly?

Have you seen Microsoft's track record with consoles?

Original Xbox: Could catch a fire from overheating issues if they are not plugged in correctly or are in close contact with an object that could catch fire (like paper).

Xbox 360: Red Ring of Death.

Xbox One: ????

Is it normal for the drive to sometimes struggle to feed the disc? It makes a weird noise sometimes when it tries to accept the disc. Also, my console hasn't moved from the boot up screen at all. Am I doing something wrong? It just hangs in the green xbox one screen without doing anything else; no prompts to update, nothing. It just hangs there in the boot up screen.

It's nice that the initial console supply is not so constrained like previous generations, but man, these console built in China (PS4 & X1 both) are really pieces of shit in terms of build quality.

It's nice that the initial console supply is not so constrained like previous generations, but man, these console built in China (PS4 & X1 both) are really pieces of shit in terms of build quality.

That's a QA and standards issue. Apple & Samsung have products pumping out of China daily and they're both well regarded for great hardware quality.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently my GameStop sold through around 120 Xbox Ones from what the manager says, and has only received 3 returns so far. Two being mine. Erk. Honestly, it might not be significantly widespread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm not saying anything, and people don't see the edit.

Top Bottom