• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Respawn

Banned
Millions of consoles made and a very small failure rate. Thats impressive people so lets focus on that right now instead of the nonsense.. Now, if by this time next month we have thousands of consoles with faulty drives then we have a problem. Yes, it is very unfortunate to be the owner of a faulty unit. Lets hope those involved get a somewhat speedy replacement for this.

Millions of consoles made and a very small failure rate. Thats impressive people so lets focus on that right now instead of the nonsense.. Now, if by this time next month we have thousands of consoles with faulty drives then we have a problem. Yes, it is very unfortunate to be the owner of a faulty unit. Lets hope those involved get a somewhat speedy replacement for this.

Exactly. Voice of reason right here.

smurfx

get some go again
looks like microsoft managed to repeat history and got a bad batch of drives to start off the generation.

mekes

I just hope everybody effected gets a working replacement asap. We've been waiting ages for these consoles to release and to spend money on these companies, the least they can do is have a quick turnaround.

Orbis

folks folks

I expected there to be more people with this going on, which is...not really disappointing, it just means my luck is REALLY fucking poor.
Reminds me of when I first bought an iPad. First one had horrific backlight-bleed, looked like this:
iPad_2_backlight_bleed.JPG

Replaced it with another, same problem but not as bad so I stuck with it. Then I went for an Asus Transformer tablet a year later, and had exactly the same issue. It was only when I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 this year that I had my first ever tablet with an even backlight.

Then bam, stepped on the Note 8 and now the device is slightly bent and the backlight bleeds around the screen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of when I first bought an iPad. First one had horrific backlight-bleed, looked like this:

Replaced it with another, same problem but not as bad so I stuck with it. Then I went for an Asus Transformer tablet a year later, and had exactly the same issue. It was only when I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 this year that I had my first ever tablet with an even backlight.

Then bam, stepped on the Note 8 and now the device is slightly bent and the backlight bleeds around the screen.

You may have a ghost in your home or have been cursed with voodoo

Shadybiz

Certainly not what you want to hear, and it sucks for the people it happens to. They will be reimbursed, of course. It'll take some time to know if this is widespread, though, just like the PS4 bricking issue.

Respawn

Banned
Certainly not what you want to hear, and it sucks for the people it happens to. They will be reimbursed, of course. It'll take some time to know if this is widespread, though, just like the PS4 bricking issue.

To be honest here the PS4 bricking issue has a fix. The article states there is not fix for the Xone bricking after the update.
Anyone with an Xone know how large the update is? I also wonder if folks with spotty internet can cause this issue? I'm just throwing stuff out there so don't mind me much.

A buddy of mine was just begging for help in teamspeak about his new xbox one purchase not working, seems like he has the same problem, disc cracking noises. Are there any known fixes yet?

Waqas

Did anyone notice the orientation of the CD in link 4, it it does not seem to change when ejected...

damaged in transit?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest here the PS4 bricking issue has a fix. The article states there is not fix for the Xone bricking after the update.
Anyone with an Xone know how large the update is? I also wonder if folks with spotty internet can cause this issue? I'm just throwing stuff out there so don't mind me much.

500mb update

And there's a fix for the bricking ps4s? I didn't know there was a fix.

Reason why there's not REALLY a fix for the Bone Drive (and it sounds like bones in there when eating discs, but the discs are FINE, not being truly eaten) is because it's a mechanical issue.

Derrick01

Banned
As someone who already had a PS4 drive fail 2 days into the generation, I can sympathize with this. That sound would terrify me if it happened to one of my consoles though.

Curufinwe

As someone who already had a PS4 drive fail 2 days into the generation, I can sympathize with this. That sound would terrify me if it happened to one of my consoles though.

I wimped out of getting a launch PS4 partly because I was worried about getting a dud. I feel bad for anyone who gets a faulty new console.

Burbeting

Banned
That didn't sound nice. Still, these are launch issues, and probably only tiny percent of buyers actually have them. Just like wit PS4:s launch problems.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That didn't sound nice. Still, these are launch issues, and probably only tiny percent of buyers actually have them. Just like wit PS4:s launch problems.

You know what they say, I am the 1%

Rising_Hei

"A number of Xbox One owners". Who, exactly? Where is this info coming from? How can a site put an article like this up without citing sources?

Xbox official forums + almost any forum in the world

EOL for example is plagued of broken Xbox ONEs and the count keeps increasing, and it's just a 1 country forum

Tsundere

Banned
"A number of Xbox One owners". Who, exactly? Where is this info coming from? How can a site put an article like this up without citing sources?

It's a known issue since the Official Xbox Support has a section detailing that the error requires it to be sent in for repair (i.e. bricked to to update):

If you check Microsoft's Xbox One troubleshooting page, error E100 denotes the following: "This indicates that there was an issue while updating your hardware, and that you’ll need to submit your console for a repair."

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/troubleshoot-system-updates
E100 xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

This indicates that there was an issue while updating your hardware, and that you’ll need to submit your console for a repair.

To submit a repair, visit the Xbox Online Service Center.

ShapeGSX

Xbox official forums + almost any forum in the world

EOL for example is plagued of broken Xbox ONEs and the count keeps increasing, and it's just a 1 country forum

I'm not saying it isn't happening. I'm just saying put a link to the "source" in the article.

Hah, chewing discs. Say it ain't so.
If they once again have failed to put bumpers in the drive I feel like slapping their engineers. Like, what the fuck are they doing?

/kneejerk
I'll start actually look at videos and read things now.

turtle553

Seems like the most common issue is the drive gears grinding. It sucks, but at least they can still use the console. Microsoft should at least give them the digital version of their games for free while waiting to send back for repair.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like the most common issue is the drive gears grinding. It sucks, but at least they can still use the console. Microsoft should at least give them the digital version of their games for free while waiting to send back for repair.

Yeah, I'd REALLY like this but I don't think MS would go for that. Lots of people could claim LOTS of stuff.

As much as I just want to digitally buy DR3 in the meantime, I still have this disc version sitting here. :/

Jburton

Banned

Most can't, it seems the drive does not recognise the disc.

I don't think it is just a noise thing.

What a thrill...
With darkness and grinding through the night
What a thrill...
I'm searching and I'll insert my disc into you
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

I'd give my discs
Not for honour, but for you! [Disc Eater]
In my time there'll be no physical
Crime, it's the way I fly to you! [Disc Eater]
I'm still in a digital world,