• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Czigga

man I feel so bad reading everyone's issues on the official forums. Sucks so bad to wait all this time go to a midnight launch, go home and you can't play it. worse is the realization that it will probably take at least a week to get it up and running.

Off topic: anyone knows what blu ray drive the wiiU uses?

They usually let Panasonic handle these sorts of things. So probably a custom one from them, but just guessing.

Edit: Beaten it would seem. Predictable though since they rarely ever seem to switch to other tech partners.

Oh you're absolutely right and that's great that it works without a patch.

I simply remember following the setup procedure and being railroaded into updating online immediately and then waiting for 2 hours. It was frustrating when I just wanted to play.

You just had to chose cancel when asked about updating. It would then update in the background. You were then free to play games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
a guy getting 2 defected consoles at the same time...this cant be a tiny issue.

With the amount of consoles simultaneously going over the counter during a launch event like this, even the smallest console failure rates rear their ugly heads sometimes.
Especially so when the owner of the thing has an active Youtube account to complain on.

Not saying this isn't bad, but it's really not indicative of a widespread problem yet.

Kane1345

With the amount of consoles simultaneously going over the counter during a launch event like this, even the smallest console failure rates rear their ugly heads sometimes.
Especially so when the owner of the thing has an active Youtube account to complain on.

Not saying this isn't bad, but it's really not indicative of a widespread problem yet.

Agree. I think we'll get a better impression tonight when the EU people arrive home from work and school

Thank you.
That' a relief. I have several panasonic devices and their are pretty much all built like a tank. I'm very glad that nintendo takes it hardware (testing) very serious.
(Except that fried gpu wii thing which didn't effect me)

My bro wants to buy a xbone. The question is if I should tell him to wait to see if this is getting aproblem or not as he doesn't follow any videogaming news.

New002

Damn...that sound is terrible. It sounds like the drive is straight up eating the disc. As with the PS4 launch last week I feel sorry for anybody whose consoles are affected by any issues. What a massive bummer to have to deal with something like this, especially right at launch. I hope my console arrives okay :/

hwy_61

Banned
Good thing I ordered from Amazon. They're pretty good about returns.

And I'm definitely not testing this out with a game lol

I'm sticking a bluray in that bitch.

Hex

Banned
Nobody will have to wait that long, the power players have not started stirring for the day and as soon as they catch wind of this they will get on top of this and people will get replacements very quickly.
Larry and company and Microsoft will make sure that people are taken care of.
When a system launches they have contingency plans in place for issues to happen.
As with the Playstation 4 people are getting dramatic for nothing, but with that being said it is fucking disgusting that this is being kept much quieter with none of the sites like Kotaku, IGN, Polygon and even more disgusting that alot of the blow hard assbags that were so vocal in the Playstation 4 issue thread do not seem to be showing up in here to say "oh, I guess it does happen to both...I guess I was a bit over the top. My bad" and instead cower in their little troll holes waiting for the next rallying call to go out.

DJ12

Surely the hour on hold should also be worrying. Suggests something isn't right if they are already having that volume of calls.

Well buying a game console is a lottery. We have a 3% chance of getting a dud. The household is 3 for 3 so far. 2 PS4 and 1 Xbone working fine.

Petrae

6-8 weeks, I'd demand a faster refund so I could at least buy another one at the store.

Totally anecdotal, but a commenter on a Google+ post I made about the Click of Death mentioned that he was quoted a replacement date "closer to Christmas" by MSFT CS, rather than the 3-5 days we were initially hearing.

Not 6 weeks, not 3-5 days. Somewhere in between.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Surely the hour on hold should also be worrying. Suggests something isn't right if they are already having that volume of calls.

Or that they didn't staff up for a console launch which is going to be filled with questions about the update procedure for people without internet connections.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nobody will have to wait that long, the power players have not started stirring for the day and as soon as they catch wind of this they will get on top of this and people will get replacements very quickly.
Larry and company and Microsoft will make sure that people are taken care of.
When a system launches they have contingency plans in place for issues to happen.
As with the Playstation 4 people are getting dramatic for nothing, but with that being said it is fucking disgusting that this is being kept much quieter with none of the sites like Kotaku, IGN, Polygon and even more disgusting that alot of the blow hard assbags that were so vocal in the Playstation 4 issue thread do not seem to be showing up in here to say "oh, I guess it does happen to both...I guess I was a bit over the top. My bad" and instead cower in their little troll holes waiting for the next rallying call to go out.

I think you have to give it time. With PS4 it was just a US launch so any news would have come alongside the issues popping up - the media would be active at the same time consumers were reporting it.

With Xbox, any issues in Europe and Australia will take a little longer to percolate across the pond before they are picked up by websites.

All jokes aside.. has there been any reports of the PS4 for the same issue?

I've heard of the PS4 ejecting discs randomly, but that's fixed by turning it off for a while. Haven't thus far seen the same problem as this, however. I could be wrong - haven't been following the failure threads too closely.

thelastword

Banned
You have to remember this thing is launching in a large number of countries today. The PS4 has only arrived in the US so far.
True, but don't forget that there were quite a few PS4's out there in the wild before it's launch, due to the Taco Bell units which were shipped early to the winners and also the PS4 launch event where journalists got their wares.

What's troubling also is the vast set of issues persons are having with their units outside of the bluray drive issue; we've seen videos of discs being stuck in the console, faulty power supplies, controllers not synching or responding, loud humming fan noises (even louder than the bluray problem). I'm sure the more infrequent faults are more isolated, but I'm not sure I've seen so many different issues with a console outside a more prevalent one.

smr00

Banned
Sucks for everyone who is having problems and hopefully microsoft will ship replacements out quicker.

Hopefully it's isolated, it's a very, very small % of defects and i may not be the biggest microsoft/xbox fan but it's never fun to hear about someone spending $500+ on something and have it not work properly. It's a fucking bummer.

Jburton

Banned
Leave it out.

I suppose this will be jumped on whilst any problems on other platforms will be just normal electronics launch problems and to be expected

Please don't start with any revisionist history here, go back and see the size of that PS4 thread and the many people in there talking shit and making up numbers, telling us that RROD was bad but DOA was different.

This is fucked up for those that have the problems, no one can tell how widespread it is so any numbers will be bullshit and hopefully this thread does not turn into the clusterfuck like the other thread where we had a pile on of nonsense.

Damn, that sounds nasty. This is like the DVD drive failure in the the original Xbox. I wonder if there are different brands of Blu-Ray drives present that are causing this?

New Xbox One owners better test it out with a DVDR or some old DVD before putting in their games.

jaaz

Just like the PS4 issues, there are bound to be some defective Xbone consoles out there when you are shipping a million or more consoles. Too early to tell if this is widespread. The people who are having issues are the ones who will always be more vocal about it, which may give the false impression of a widespread issue.

Vestal

Gold Member
From what it sounds like its the loading mechanism that appears to be busted.

While it would suck if mine got here like that, I am not too worried since I am going all Digital. Ill just wait a week and coffin it after thanksgiving weekend.

Gluck to the other gaffers. Hopefully its not too wide spread.

Looks like people are getting bricked consoles or broken disc drives based on what I've read. Early days though, so it might not be a huge issue.

indeed. if the failure rate was even something like 5% we'd be seeing lots more reports of this. these are the first social media, post red ring of death launches. the reports of a console not working are going much further and faster than they ever did before.

skc

Banned
I've always found a better way to gauge this sort of thing these days is to go to twitter and search for "my X" where X is xboxone or ps4 or iphone5 etc etc etc.

When I put in "my xboxone" I see a lot of excitement, a lot of people who have just bought one and are either playing or waiting to play tomorrow.

Haven't seen a post on issues yet, but it depends how long you scroll for I suppose.

Top Bottom