• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

junglist

indeed. if the failure rate was even something like 5% we'd be seeing lots more reports of this. these are the first social media, post red ring of death launches. the reports of a console not working are going much further and faster than they ever did before.

give it a week.. console has only been out for a few hours..

Weird that it is disk drive issue. Nothing major I think. Week from now we are wiser. Real fear should be esram problems (or rather if they even exist). Mont or two from now we know from both consoles about usage reliability.
MS going with cheapo drive (or getting screwed by manufactor) is weird. (by cheapo I mean is it not pretty standard drive?) High demand propably makes quality control nightmare (or otherwise prices would be higher and unit amount lower) Or something. I am completely drunk.

EGM1966

As with PS4 stuff this is probably isolated incidents ('cause some of them are bound to break have issues) that will get blown out of proportion for a while as the PS4 stuff did.

drgambit

Banned
I give LOLtaku and the other 'gaming' websites 15 hours to post on this... if there is any shred of fair reporting going on. They were sure quick to pounce on the PS4 issues, they shouldn't have any problem reporting these.

thelastword

Banned
As with PS4 stuff this is probably isolated incidents ('cause some of them are bound to break have issues) that will get blown out of proportion for a while as the PS4 stuff did.
Well you would hope so, but even a fellow gaffer has two units with the same issue. So what are the odds?

Static Jak

That is a terrifying sound to here from a new console.

But, as always, those be the risks of early adoption. At least it isn't on fire.

RPGCrazied

Why go day 1 on consoles? They always usually have issues. Sure, a lot of them are just fine, but I wouldn't take a chance, specially when spending $500+.

harSon

Banned
I better not get a faulty Xbox One. I already had to replace my Playstation 4 due to the blutooth being broken out the box. It'd be terrible fucking luck if I had to do the same with my Xbox One....

Well, DVDs and Blu-Rays work fine for me. I'm assuming my console is okay?

I Don't want to have to borrow one of my friends games to try it haha

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Do you guys think it could be because MS have used left sided discs?
XboxOneCaseFlipDisc.jpg

Skeff

What do you mean by security?

Firmware security to stop playing of pirated discs, it's not an issue for users but is an issue for Microsoft, it's the way games are currently Pirated on xbox360 and it appears as if the security is similar on the XB1 but it's too early to tell right now.

thelastword

Banned
Well assuming a 1% fault rate then the odds of buying 2 XB1's and having both faulty would be 1 in 10000.
Well, it's definitely not an issue I'd like to have, spending $1000.00 where both consoles are having the same issue is certainly not coincidence.

In any case, I guess we will just monitor the situation and see how it pans out, the next few hours will give us a better indication as to how prevalent it is.

Zing

Banned
I have a feeling we will be hearing a lot more reports of this drive issue to come, and for the next few months. It is not a coincidence, nor part of a normal failure rate, for every one of these disc drives to sound exactly the same. This is an inherent flaw in the drive mechanism. Even if your drive isn't doing it now, it could easily occur in the future.

cilonen

Do you guys think it could be because MS have used left sided discs?

Someone needs to start commenting on YouTube videos that it's because they accidentally shipped some with regular right-handed blu ray drives and the Xbone requires left-handed ones due to it's left-sided disks.

In all seriousness. I feel bad for folks afflicted by this :( (or the PS4 issues too).

Karak

Man. That clicking one is a loader that fails to seat and so it keeps pulling which results in a slip on the load gear. That sucks. But getting bad controllers and so forth? Damn.

I already got burned twice this month. I am nervous about my delivery but hopeful at least one of my next gen systems is working:(

kmg90

What is it with Microsoft consoles and disc drives?!

the 360 had terrible protection for the disc scraping against the laser (why they put that big fat warning sticker over the disc drive)

Orbis

Most of the one-star reviews are not even Amazon verified purchases. I wish Amazon makes their product reviews so that only people who purchased the product can review it. This way one can get better metrics.
Yup, same problem with the PS4 reviews. There were countless 5 star and 1 star reviews which were not verified purchases. Many of those may of course be real, but I lost count of the troll reviews. Now, the positive PS4 reviews are pulling away from the negatives as you'd expect with your average hardware. Consider the natural tendency to leave negative reviews but not positive also.

Same will probably happen with the XB1. Nobody should rely on Amazon reviews to draw percentages that are of any real use. There is nothing yet to suggest this is any worse/better than standard failure rates. Problem is with social media as it is, it only takes a few reports out of however many million devices sold to cause a storm.

Anyway it's really unfortunate that some people are having these issues. It's a pain with new consoles because low or non-existent stock at launch means exchanging them can be a slow process.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
folks folks

I expected there to be more people with this going on, which is...not really disappointing, it just means my luck is REALLY fucking poor.

Top Bottom