• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

turtle553

Most can't, it seems the drive does not recognise the disc.

I don't think it is just a noise thing.

I'm just saying MS should offer a free download of a game while their console can't read discs so they can play for a few days waiting for coffin.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
hahahaha....*cough* *cough* .... I mean, that's awful, I hope they resolve these issues quickly.

iUjWqtCMA2XaQ.gif

keep laughing :(

Mendax

the microsoft support forums and comment sections everywhere are overflowing with complaints yet the "major" gaming news sites refuse to write articles about it. With the few defective ps4s it was the first thing they did. Seems a bit unfair towards sony if i may say so....

MarionCB

Wow, that's a horrible sound to hear from a drive. I'm so happy I'm skipping launch this gen.

So, just to get this straight — is the only evidence that it's scratching discs the conjecture in this thread's title?

Darksol

Ah...got a text this morning from one of my coworkers I'm pretty chummy with and shoot the shit about video games all the time. "I got a fucking broken unit after waiting three hours in the rain for this thing. It's beating my disks like they owe it money."

I filled him in. He's not a happy camper right now :( I just hope this can be resolved quickly.

turtle553

the microsoft support forums and comment sections everywhere are overflowing with complaints yet the "major" gaming news sites refuse to write articles about it. With the few defective ps4s it was the first thing they did. Seems a bit unfair towards sony if i may say so....

Most people get from Amazon and those don;t show up until today. I also bet a lot of people haven't tried a disc yet if they download games or are just messing with the UI. The console is usable so it is not as obvious as BLOD.

That's a bummer, especially if it messes up the disc as well.

Problems always exist for launch hardware, the only real issue is how widespread it is.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
NeoGAF should just have its own games-review website and appoint people to review games if we are so concerned about biased opinions and the unfair industry.

I'm not joking, but I'm also not expecting such a thing.

Demon Ice

Banned
Most people get from Amazon and those don;t show up until today. I also bet a lot of people haven't tried a disc yet if they download games or are just messing with the UI. The console is usable so it is not as obvious as BLOD.

Yeah but didn't IGN write that article when there were like...8 reports of failed PS4s? 11 hours into XB1's launch and there's literally hundreds.

ShapeGSX

That's because the major gaming news sites were the ones receiving broken PS4s.

mattp

where is "possibly chewing discs" coming from? looks like the disc just makes a bunch of racket and doesn't work
no evidence of "chewing discs"

RaikuHebi

Banned
What a thrill...
With darkness and grinding through the night
What a thrill...
I'm searching and I'll insert my disc into you
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

I'd give my discs
Not for honour, but for you! [Disc Eater]
In my time there'll be no physical
Crime, it's the way I fly to you! [Disc Eater]
I'm still in a digital world,
Disc Eater!

Someday you go through the rain
And someday, you feed on a Blu-ray
This ordeal, The trial to survive
For the day we see new light!

I'd give my discs
Not for honour, but for you! [Disc Eater]
In my time there'll be no physical
Crime, it's the way I fly to you! [Disc Eater]
I'm still in a digital world,
Disc Eater!

I am still in a digital world,
Disc Eater!

[Disc Eater]

As I quickly scrolled past I thought WTF did I just see the Snake Eater theme, what thread am I in? loool.

You're pretty good!
I guess you riked it.

Green Yoshi

It is seven o'clock at the West Coast. Got these people already their consoles?

My Fiancées friend got his xbox one just a few hours ago.

He said that the noise from his disc drive was fine but said that his controller wasn't working when it arrived.

Said that:
It syncs, and console finds it. But the Triggers are not working.

He is a massive xbox fanboy and is truly gutted. His Dad is getting him an extra controller from town but he is upset.

Any more stories about the controllers? I never saw the 360's controllers as reliable.

(Put this in here, bit off topic as this thread is about the drives but didn't think it warranted its own thread)

ElRenoRaven

Damn that sucks to hear for the xbox fans who are affected. It's really pathetic that none of these companies can put out a damn console that isn't a piece of shit at launch. I don't care if you're a sony fan or microsoft fan you should not be getting consoles that eat discs or brick on update. This is beyond bullshit. We've gotten to the point where it's ok to release a broken product and just patch or fix it after the fact. Hopefully those affected get them fixed and fixed quickly and properly.

I should just shut up though. I'm still very angry over my experiences with the PS4 launch.

Lynn616

Sony support forum is the same way. If you read that you would think all the PS4s are defective. Mine works great.

My Fiancées friend got his xbox one just a few hours ago.

He said that the noise from his disc drive was fine but said that his controller wasn't working when it arrived.

Said that:
It syncs, and console finds it. But the Triggers are not working.

He is a massive xbox fanboy and is truly gutted. His Dad is getting him an extra controller from town but he is upset.

Any more stories about the controllers? I never saw the 360's controllers as reliable.

(Put this in here, bit off topic as this thread is about the drives but didn't think it warranted its own thread)
I just read from gaffer a couple hours ago that said his left trigger didn't work.

It is seven o'clock at the West Coast. Got these people already their consoles?

A lot of people won't be getting their xb1's until early to late afternoon in murrica. I know my UPS guy always delivers around 6pm. I guess we'll see if it's more widespread later on tonight.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Part of me wants to try to find a shop of Stone Cold with a disc shredder instead of a beer truck, but it really sucks that it happened.
It will be replaced soon and you are taking it better than most of us would I think.

Heh, if you can find that I'll laugh with you. Here's hoping I can get it swapped out today, not optimistic but hey I'm a PC gamer. I'll live.

turtle553

Yeah but didn't IGN write that article when there were like...8 reports of failed PS4s? 11 hours into XB1's launch and there's literally hundreds.

I don't know of hundreds of reports or timing of issues. There were issues where media sites had PS4s brick so maybe they were more in tune to issues. There was also someone who spent 8 hours on twitch trying to fix their PS4 that got like 6,000 viewers.

Plus PS4 had the Taco Bell consoles so there were more systems in the wild ahead of launch.

As someone who had six rrod 360s this is just more proof that going with Sony is the right decision.

Same number as me. One of the reasons I "jumped out" this generation.

I feel bad for those who have broken consoles though. Nothing derails launch day excitement like a bum console.

HariKari

Sony support forum is the same way. If you read that you would think all the PS4s are defective. Mine works great.

Sony had the misfortune of early adopters (taco bell, press) having theirs fail and getting a lot of attention for it. Hopefully people will come to their senses and realize that manufacturing is not perfect and this is to be expected. Unless it's something like RROD, it's not worth talking about.

Top Bottom