• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Vylsith

Banned
Bish said he had things that he wasn't allowed to post because he assumed MS would fix it before launch. What they are I have no idea, but now that the xbone is out, CBOAT should be allowed to say what he knows.

I didn't follow that, so I'm not sure when that was posted. Is it possible it was the same information that was addressed by Mortimer in the blog entry regarding Xbox Live issues? There definitely seems to be some issues with party chat from complaints on the Xbox forums.

kurbaan

Banned
Even right now just like PS4 it doesnt seem like a RROD type wide spread issue. I dont see the reason for drama fuss yet.

Skeff

Consoles have always had defects, we just didn't always have the internet, I had a C64 and the Floppy disk drive ate a floppy disk and got stuck. I couldn't post it on the internet...

Also consoles were made in smaller numbers at launch at relatively higher prices.

oxidax

S2wyxDi.png

Now Im no Xbox fanboy (nor a Sony fanboy). I love my PS4, and Im eager to get my Xbone, but I notice you failed to mention a problem that was being reported quite frequently with PS4, in fact the main one being reported - the BBLOD. PS4 was not free of issues, nor is Xbone, but no one will no for sure how widespread these issues really are for a while.

On point.

denshuu

Pretty sure these things happen with every console launch and we're just now becoming hyper aware of it because it's the first large scale launch since the advent of widespread social media.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wow, someone just sent me a message on Facebook describing this but said it was the PS4 having problems?!
I corrected him but his convinced PS4>loads of problems) Xbone>fine
Interesting how things get twisted

LQX

Seeing as how not many Gaffers are not reporting these same issues I don't think it will be as widespread as the PS4 HDMI issues.

There were drive issues with the 360 correct?

I don't really find this to be unexpected. New consoles sometimes have issues...

...I just hope mine is okay once I set it up...

Vylsith

Banned
Seeing as how not many Gaffers are not reporting these same issues I don't think it will be as widespread as the PS4 HDMI issues.

That's assuming the number of GAF users who buy a Xbox One is anywhere near the number who bought a PS4. Someone stated that they bought 2 and both had problems with the disc drive earlier in this post. I wouldn't assume anything yet. Without the statistics to back it up, assumptions are generally just personal prejudices.

N.Domixis

Banned

Not many Gaffers bought an xbox, Most bought ps4. These issues seem to be appearing at the same rate as the ps4s. its probably around the same low percentage.

Raymo

Not many Gaffers bought an xbox, Most bought ps4. These issues seem to be appearing at the same rate as the ps4s.

This is true. One way to tell is to compare how the xbox shipment info thread grew compared to the ps4 thread under the same time frame. PS4 had over twice as many pages as the other thread from Monday to Wednesday of both weeks.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not many Gaffers bought an xbox, Most bought ps4. These issues seem to be appearing at the same rate as the ps4s.
It's definitely a higher rate, PS4's was being reported everything few hours to a day apart
Those drive reports have been dropping like flies
But it could still be a same amount or less, just people are more vocal with X1

Well, Most Gaffers are still waiting to get them today. Just give it time, its a console launch, things are going to happen. The Official Xbox One Support forum has all types of different issues being reported. The Green Screen of Death while trying to update appears to be the one that is popping up most.

Tsundere

Banned
It's definitely a higher rate, PS4's was being reported everything few hours to a day apart
Those drive reports have been dropping like flies
But it could still be a same amount or less, just people are more vocal with X1

PS4 was for the majority, either:
1. No output to TV, blinking blue light
2. HDMI port with bent metal (fixable)

Xbox One reports are:
1. E100 update bricking consoles
2. Disk drive not working (clicking sounds etc.)
3. Disk drive not working and not ejecting disks (manual eject not working either)
4. Green Screen of Death, can't get past the boot screen
5. Controller DOA/Not syncing

Vylsith

Banned
This type of shit kills me. If people didnt buy consoles at launch there would be no reason for a company to make one.

Yeah, that's a ridiculous argument, especially since the vast majority of console launches have had very low failure rates. Sure, consoles generally have lower failure rates later on, but it's on the magnitude of a couple percentage. I highly doubt we'll run into RROD type issues with either console. It's obviously too early to tell, but I'd imagine the 2 year failure rate will be around 10-15% like most electronics. CBoaT's posts do have me a bit worried about the Xbox One though. The Green Screen of Death issue I'm guessing has to do with problems with Microsoft's network as people have reported that it randomly goes away eventually. I'm guessing that isn't an issue that requires a return, but again that's just speculation.

PS4 was for the majority, either:
1. No output to TV, blinking blue light
2. HDMI port with bent metal (fixable)

Xbox One reports are:
1. E100 update bricking consoles
2. Disk drive not working (clicking sounds etc.)
3. Disk drive not working and not ejecting disks (manual eject not working either)
4. Green Screen of Death, can't get past the boot screen
5. Controller DOA/Not syncing

There's a video of a kinect that is plugged in and was working but is now dead

Yep, you can see quite clearly IGN are trying to keep it to a minimum. It took them this long to write the article but all they could find is ONE example of the disc tray problem ... I don't think so. That banner must have been worth a pretty penny.

They have links to all of the reported issues within the article?

Right now the PS4 issues are small time and a blip on the radar. We don't know how big or small the Xbox issue is. Really, until these consoles are out a few months we may not know the scale of either. But, at first blush this does seem like a really large group of vocal people.

ClearData

I read that MS allows users to replace the Blu-Ray drive without voiding warranty. With all the stories popping up about the drives chewing up discs I started to find it curious. Are these two things related? Did they anticipate problems with the Blu-Ray drives?

JohngPR

None of this should be surprising. You're going to hear about these at launch. Now if this is still happening a few months from now? That's a different story.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ok, one guy from our website bought it today and his console is dead. Yes, dead, nothing happens when he tries to switch it on. Light on AC adapter is very dim, looks like he got X1 with defective AC brick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got an update from the store manager. Apparently the Gamestop I was at is the only one that had issues, other GS in the area have not had any issues. Doesn't sound widespread at all, just shitty luck.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Got an update from the store manager. Apparently the Gamestop I was at is the only one that had issues, other GS in the area have not had any issues. Doesn't sound widespread at all, just shitty luck.

So the only gamestop that had the problem was luckily the gamestop you had access to. That's either extraordinary unlucky for the store you were to, or extraordinarily lucky for every other Gamestop in your area. Quite remarkable odds actually.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So the only gamestop that had the problem was luckily the gamestop you had access to. That's either extraordinary unlucky for the store you were to, or extraordinarily lucky for every other Gamestop in your area. Quite remarkable odds actually.

I think it's an area thing. Obviously this is happening everywhere, but it's not on a monster scale as I feared. Out of their shipment of I think it was 120? I can't remember - only 3 so far have been returned, 2 of them mine.

spoonman

Banned
4 bad Xbox One's and suddenly this is a "widespread problem" and people are "stupid for buying day one consoles"?? Seriously?

I worked at a game store for the Dreamcast launch on 9/9/99. We had about 15 defective systems returned (out of 160 sold) and 50% of our Sonic Adventure discs were defects (about 80 copies), along with Mortal Kombat Gold, and a few others. It was a complete nightmare to be a manager during that!

My point is there was no YouTube or forums with instantaneous feedback to read back then so most people assumed all was well.
Don't panic because you see a few videos with defects. Your chances of winning the lottery are probably greater than getting one of these defects.

Top Bottom