• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

JNT

That sounds like a faulty gear causing the teeth to grind rather than transmit torque. This could explain the disc not being readable because the mechanism can't slide the disc into position.

Crawl

It's not the sound of grinding,
it's thunder.

vtj5rsid6u9d.gif

system11

The problem is that these Xboxes have been issued to users.

Well, my point was - these are being sold to a customer (my company) and somewhere a little below the 5% mark are either DOA or fail within the first few days. I remember way back in the day, my parents bought me an Atari 800. First unit we had went back due to lack of colour. Second unit worked but 3 tape decks failed inside of 2 weeks due to a design flaw. Broken electronics are nothing particularly new, just RROD has made everyone really jumpy about it.

I don't think its a massive RROD level issue right now but Microsoft wouldn't last if it were. They couldn't withstand two massive hiccups like that with back to back console launches.

inherendo

I don't think its a massive RROD level issue right now but Microsoft wouldn't last if it were. They couldn't withstand two massive hiccups like that with back to back console launches.

Xbox division is a very, very small part of their total revenue. Can't see MS staying in the console business with all things considered. Just doesn't seem worth it when their other divisions are really doing well.

tehPete

Banned

Look at all that infinite powah!

On a side note, I remember a friend going through five / six PS2's when they were released before he got one with a disc drive that lasted more than a week. While with improved manufacturing / QA practices it's safe to say that those days are long behind us, I think that it's left such a racial memory that at the first signs of a drive failing on a new console we're thrown into traumatic flashbacks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got it swapped out, have a happy Xbox One. Good times.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How? Just out of curiosity. I called GameStop and they said it would probably be faster to go through Microsoft to get the issue fixed.

Their manager got two new ones overnighted for me. They also have a really good manager who goes the distance, you might have a shitty one. Don't let up!

We had gaffers telling us that kotaku/ign failed PS4s couldn't be a coincidence and meant widespread.

I'd like their opinion now.

I really didn't understand what people were thinking. Did they think two consoles would launch and one or both would literally have no issues pop up on the internet? It's just common sense.

SeanR1221

I really didn't understand what people were thinking. Did they think two consoles would launch and one or both would literally have no issues pop up on the internet? It's just common sense.

Yeah when you have a million consoles out there, you can't expect 100% success rate.

Right now we can put both into the category of "slight" but lets not do everyone a disservice if one rf the other system has widespread problems. The "the other guy has issues too" line will do more harm than good in that scenario. It might seem like it is being dealt to quell any system wars nonsense but it wont help any potential buyers out. Lets be mindful of that possibility while going forward.

If it makes you feel better, this Dukey has had good luck with Wii U and PS4 units. =)

Haha, nice :)

I played around with the UI and Crimson Dragon yesterday. I had rented Need for Speed so I was happy to see it came in today so I could try my first disc game. Well, you know what happened after that :(. I'm just glad that grinding sound doesn't damage the disc.

I've never had a console be bad out of the box before, so I guess I'm making up for it now! Both my consoles came from Amazon too so I can perpetuate the myth that they are getting bad batches :)

NineH

I just tried to watch a bluray on my Xbone and got the wonderful grinding noise. I've already packed it up to return to Best Buy first thing in the morning. In a twisted way I'm kinda glad it happened because I'm starting to get buyers remorse from buying this and the ps4 in such a short time. Hopefully I'll pick another Xbone down the road when it gets a bigger library.

Top Bottom