• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Grinding?

grindin-clipse-pharell-o.gif

Someone needs to strategically edit this gif

clipse-grindin-o.gif

"We know that with a hardware launch of this magnitude customers will have questions and we have many avenues for customers to get the answers they need and get back in the game as soon as possible," Microsoft told IGN. "Rest assured we plan to take care of our customers. Any customer who believes they are experiencing an issue with their Xbox One should reach out to us through Xbox Support."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Man... I wonder how big of a thing this is. There's really no way to tell right now.

Correct, it's considerably cheaper to deal with a small percentage of defects then attempt to product 100% working consoles. The internet and social media just makes this practice more apparent.

Femto.

I read the ign article. Why doesnt Microsoft send a replacement instead of asking the user to send it for repair

That's how they handled the XB360 with RRoD. I never experienced it myself but a family member of mine had his 360 sent in three times for RRoD repair before they sent him a replacement after the fourth time.

It seems to be common practice, I've had my Astro a50s bust on me three times and it wasn't until the third time they finally replaced my headset with another pair.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Dead or malfunctioning power brick on X1 - anyone with this issue on GAF? Found some topics on offical Xbox support forums.

Video of this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2F131wLMw

Quick recap : Light on the power brick is yellow, when it is plugged in wall socket. The same moment connection is made with the console, light goes very dim/turns out and there is no power to the console. It stays like this even if power cord is unplugged from the console. After reconnecting the cable with wall socket, light on power brick turns yellow again.

About 2% to 5% of all launch consoles are faulty in one way or another. Which is within the "normal and expected" failure rate for an electronics product. That has been the case all the way back to the NES.

Unless we start hearing widespread reports of BR drive failures (which we should have an answer for by this weekend), this whole thing is a complete non-story. Shit happens, folks.

Issues such as the 360's eventual RROD for just about every launch unit are the exception, not the norm.

Is this bigger than the issues with the PS4? I mean there are like 5 or 6 different way these things have died or have issues. The biggest problem from what I can see is the Xbox chewing games.

Obviously we have no numbers to compare in any way but this feels worse than the PS4 launch. There are way too many issues coming out in the last 24 hours.

Someone tell me if I'm crazy

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
About 2% to 5% of all launch consoles are faulty in one way or another. Which is within the "normal and expected" failure rate for an electronics product. That has been the case all the way back to the NES.

Unless we start hearing widespread reports of BR drive failures (which we should have an answer for by this weekend), this whole thing is a complete non-story. Shit happens, folks.

Issues such as the 360's eventual RROD for just about every launch unit are the exception, not the norm.

Where do you get the 2 to 5 number?
That's a bit high.

Briarios

... It's clearly not a non-story any more than the defective PS4s. People need to know these things so that they can make an informed purchase.

Briarios

I wonder what the previous gen launches would have looked like had twitter, YouTube, vine and Facebook had existed at the time.

The original PS launch would have been a disaster. I worked for a large chain (at the time) selling them, and we had defective ones stacked to the ceiling in the back room. It was insane.

Femto.

Is this bigger than the issues with the PS4? I mean there are like 5 or 6 different way these things have died or have issues. The biggest problem from what I can see is the Xbox chewing games.

Obviously we have no numbers to compare in any way but this feels worse than the PS4 launch. There are way too many issues coming out in the last 24 hours.

Someone tell me if I'm crazy

If there are more problems that are more widespread with the Xbox One compared to the PS4 then this could potentially be bad for MS.

I'm sure a lot of people were skeptical about buying this thing at launch due to the XB360's infamous RRoD fiasco. This would only add dirt to the wound due to the fact that they are charging 100 dollars more than their competitor.

However, unlikely Sony, MS does have a lot if money so I'm sure they can take a hit if this does get out of hand and they have to replace a lot of units. It would crush their chances of staying head to head with Sony though.

Anyway, too soon to tell. We'll have a clearer picture of the failure rate of each console once more are released into the wild.

thelastword

Banned
I don't know why some persons seemingly want to make an non-issue out of this, from what I'm seeing, the number of error reports over the last couple of hours has been coming in steadily.

It's clear to me that quite a few persons are being affected by the bluray drive issue at this point, even IGN said they got a faulty one in their office, the guy at Rajman gaming reported another bulging issue in a GSOD, and yeah, he was extremely pissed.

Apart from the many videos showing up on youtube, we've had several written reports at xbox forums, amazon etc...detailing a myriad of issues affecting xbox day one purchasers. Not one of these issues are fixable by the end user; as was the case with the hdmi PS4 problem or some of the BSOD problems encountered on the Sony platform.

I believe the issue is weighty enough to not warrant a reply in the vein of "let's wait a couple of months to analyse". I dont think the odd kinect or controller malfunctioning is too much of an issue, hell, even GSOD I believe will be taken care of quickly by MS, but these disk drive issues have been too common/similar among day one purchasers to ignore. It reeks of low quality drives or faulty manufacturing.

Yeah, I don't think 5% could be considered "normal". One in twenty devices failing would be shockingly bad.

beastworship

Neo Member
i was having a quick chat with a best buy employee working in their tv department yesterday giving the display one and kinect a good look, told him i'd skip the first iteration based off the track record to which he said no track record exists yet. i reminded him of the 360 rrod and that i bought mine about 5 years after launch (phat jasper at $150.00 CAD clearance price, which is working quite well) but he still seemed optimistic. while i don't have the currency to afford the product now i also don't mind, the only selling point a first wave console can hold to anyone is the likely ease of exploitability, if that's your thing, otherwise it's best to wait for as long as you can.

Zing

Banned
It seems pretty clear to me that all of these drives having the exact same symptoms with the exact same grinding sound is not just "the norm". MS has either used the shittiest drive possible, or engineered the system poorly, so it is prone to abnormal manufacturing defects. Either way, anyone spending $500 on this should be concerned, especially considering the price relative to the alternative systems out there.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It seems pretty clear to me that all of these drives having the exact same symptoms with the exact same grinding sound is not just "the norm". MS has either used the shittiest drive possible, or engineered the system poorly, so it is prone to abnormal manufacturing defects. Either way, anyone spending $500 on this should be concerned, especially considering the price relative to the alternative systems out there.

Yes, I'd have to agree at this point. I've waited all day to see how many problems there are and to me there seems a hell of a lot at this point. It could just be a bad batch though.

Suikoguy

You do have a point here.
Still too early to say for sure though...

BondFancy

So if someone had to wager a guess is this as numerous as the ps4 issues, the same, or less numerous..(or a percentage estimate), unfortunately can't try mine till Wednesday night D:!

Phades

@OT there ain't nothing wrong with a little bump and grind baby?

Hopefully this doesn't ruin too many folks' days.

Pre-ordering is the right choice..

Only if you could could specify which launch shipment you receive.... Would also provide them with market data. =/

system11

Within how many years? Maybe after X amount of years that's true, but 1 in 20 laptops being faulty on day 1? BS.

Where I work we tend to buy batches of 50 laptops at a time. It's an unusual batch where none are returned faulty or fail during build before being issued to users. That's Lenovo X220 and T430 units. It was the same with Dells when we used to buy them, if not worse. Can't speak for HPs, we only bought 3 Elitebooks and one had the battery fail inside of a month.

beastworship

Neo Member
anyone jumping in with both feet made a silent agreement about the possible failure. what's the chances these machines self destruct if manufactured in germany/japan/uk/america/canada instead of china. costs more but i'd hope it would work out of the box and last half a lifetime.

Where I work we tend to buy batches of 50 laptops at a time. It's an unusual batch where none are returned faulty or fail during build before being issued to users. That's Lenovo X220 and T430 units. It was the same with Dells when we used to buy them, if not worse. Can't speak for HPs, we only bought 3 Elitebooks and one had the battery fail inside of a month.

The problem is that these Xboxes have been issued to users.

Alchemy

anyone jumping in with both feet made a silent agreement about the possible failure. what's the chances these machines self destruct if manufactured in germany/japan/uk/america/canada instead of china. costs more but i'd hope it would work out of the box and last half a lifetime.

Who makes it isn't really the problem as much as factories trying to reach quota. This would be a problem wherever these devices are made, because the contract for building the devices is based on the manufacturer saying they can make X units in Y time, and the best ratio gets the contract. This ends up in cut corners and pressured labor to reach their estimates. It would simply be more expensive outside of China because there is some value in those countries physical work force that developing countries lack.

Wait till launch he said. Looks like this was the end result.

beastworship

Neo Member
Who makes it isn't really the problem as much as factories trying to reach quota. This would be a problem wherever these devices are made, because the contract for building the devices is based on the manufacturer saying they can make X units in Y time, and the best ratio gets the contract. This ends up in cut corners and pressured labor to reach their estimates. It would simply be more expensive outside of China because there is some value in those countries physical work force that developing countries lack.

you broke that down nicely, i never thought of that. i do believe there would be better quality craftsmanship from one of those locations but as you illustrated it's not about quality but productivity. my experiences with german manufactured products has always been so good i just can't help but believe it but more than likely you're right.

Top Bottom