• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

darilaho

Banned
Oh god That sound
ibyw9HAdwmf0oQ.gif

Stealth

This problem should be a lot better than PS4's.

One, it's immediate. Less ghostly than PSU being poorly calibrated.

Second, MS should be able to replace stocks faster than Sony.

There is no basis to assume that MS can replace stock faster for a defective unit when both companies will sell out everything they put into the channel over the next month at the very least. Sony's shipping coffins immediately, MS will do the same.

MilkBeard

Like before on the PS4 problems, if true, we must wait to see as it develops how wide spread it is. Launch issues will always occur on some units, and it's a shame... so concern is for immediate expedited replacements and for it to be relatively isolated.

Agreed. It seems way more pronounced since people are announcing it on social media. It will be the same as the PS4. There are just always going to be faulty units.

This kid in my class asked if my PS4 worked because there were lots of reports of them not working. I told him, 'those reports are overblown.' I didn't explain why I said that, but all this social media makes the defective units seem more disastrous than they really are.

That being said, it's good to know what the potential problems might be, and it's good that evidence is surfacing. The same kind of social media treatment caused Sony to make an immediate statement. Maybe it will be the same with Microsoft.

Are they only refusing to play Ghosts, or are they rejecting good games, too? Maybe the X-Bone is simply smarter than we gave it credit for?

Hope they can get those replaced as soon as possible. I honestly wouldn't notice if the drive is broken, I probably won't insert a single disc into mine for months and when I do it'll be the first blu-ray movie I buy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is it actually reading the discs?

It says that the disc cannot be read.

From how it sounds, it is having issues spinning up once inside. The grinding are probably little gears on the inside not fitting right and choking, keeping the disc from being able to spin up.

Metfanant

I'm sorry you're right. It's just frustrating that you wait months to experience something and it takes a turn for the worst.

:(

i get it...trust me i do...ive been VERY lucky with consumer electronics...but i plugged my PS4's HDMI blindly into the back of my receiver on launch day....thought i got it in "HDMI 5" but actually got it in "HDMI 6." This was of course after reading about the issues from the midnight launch people....

so you can imagine my dismay when i turned to HDMI 5 and nothing was displayed...i nearly cried...so i do get it...

Almighty

That poor guy in the third video just looks so sad. I can understand that feeling though it sucks to have been waiting for something for months then to have it not work properly. I just hope Microsoft is quick in sending out replacements.

Sooooo 4 broken disc drives out of a million units sold and it's suddenly Microsoft is terrible!!!! EVIL COMPANY!!! THEY CAN BURN!!! LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THESE POOR PEOPLE!!!

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

Intru

My brother got an Xbox One. We had it on for a while and played NBA 2k14 and it just suddenly turned off, and now it won't turn on again. The power brick's LED turns from orange to off as soon as we try to plug it into the Xbox now...

Edit: really sucks that there's a disc stuck inside it :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno man. I had a launch 360 and it's still going strong. Really bummed out by this and I don't think there's any way for anyone to make it right, supply being what it is. :/ Really a bummer and I pretty much have no recourse for some time, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to throw down another $500 for another one that may have the same issue, from anothe retailer. Just herculesdisappointed.gif

My brother got an Xbox One. We had it on for a while and played NBA 2k14 and it just suddenly turned off, and now it won't turn on again. The power brick's LED turns from orange to off as soon as we try to plug it into the Xbox now...

That's unfortunate! Check stores open 24 hours and see if they have more. I know mine did. Then return the old one.

Petrae

Sooooo 4 broken disc drives out of a million units sold and it's suddenly Microsoft is terrible!!!! EVIL COMPANY!!! THEY CAN BURN!!! LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THESE POOR PEOPLE!!!

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

Actually more than that in this thread, plus some others being verbally reported in social media. Probably not a launch catastrophe, but certainly a potential problem for an unfortunate minority who will have to deal with returns, exchanges, and potentially a waiting period.

In other words, the fun of buying at launch. Praying it works.

aly

I've never bought a console at launch( not old enough), but it really sucks that this happens. not surprising, but I hope everyone is able to work something out to get their stuff fixed.

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

Not sure if serious?

The entire thread is about how the PS4 issues were overblown by the media and how these issues are likely not overly troublesome for most

No hyperbole here

I dunno man. I had a launch 360 and it's still going strong. Really bummed out by this and I don't think there's any way for anyone to make it right, supply being what it is. :/ Really a bummer and I pretty much have no recourse for some time, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to throw down another $500 for another one that may have the same issue, from anothe retailer. Just herculesdisappointed.gif

That sucks Vince :(

Hope you get your consoles replaced quickly. no one deserves this

Salex_

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

What are you talking about? And where did you get those figures from?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what you call a full blown meltdown.

MilkBeard

Actually more than that in this thread, plus some others being verbally reported in social media. Probably not a launch catastrophe, but certainly a potential problem for an unfortunate minority who will have to deal with returns, exchanges, and potentially a waiting period.

I'm thankful that I was lucky through both the WiiU and PS4 launches.

Black-Box

Idea. If we make this seem widespread MS may do another 180 and allow people to change hard drives without voiding the warranty.

Really a win win.

I'm glad you detected my sarcasm lol
Exactly, praying mine works as well. Though the disc drive failing should be fairly easy to replace and hopefully not a full system replacement.

MormaPope

Banned

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

I don't know what you attempted, but it was terrible in every way.

Top Bottom