• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

DBT85

Sounds like the gears are misaligned rather than a disk chewing problem.

If it was widespread we would see more than 4 videos by now especially since it's been out in AU/EU for many hours.

Sucks, but all electronics have duds.

It's only 7:05 here in the UK, a lot of people won't be getting theirs from online purchases for several hours.

Same with the PS4 issues, you won;t know the real size of the problem until it's been in the hands of most who got it which won't be for most of today.

Regardless, launch hardware, shit happens. It'll all be sorted out, just sucks for those that have the problem.

Au{R}oN

Banned
You know what??
I mean, it's a BD Drive, and Sony is part of the BD Association.

Obviously, this is a sabotage from Sony.

/s

That sound...

R2IxEuj.jpg

I make the same face. Hope that sound is the drive failing and not the disc getting totalled.

Mandoric

Banned
It's possible it's the same issue as the 360 had, where rubber stabilizing pads were deliberately engineered out to save a few cents.

But if it is that, it's unlikely to damage the discs, as Blu-rays come with a pretty serious anti-scratch coating. (Now, what it might eventually do the the drive itself...)

Funny, my launch PS3 kind of did the same thing, accept it would just make a grinding noise and refuse to take the disk. I hope this shit doesn't happen to me, but at least I'll be able to play my digital version of Ghosts while I wait for the coffin

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Shit.

Updating mine now. Played some BF4 on PS4 before opening it.

If it chews up Ryse I will be pissed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One sounds far worse than the other, both sound bad and won't read discs, period.

mileS

Def not trying to play it up to be something more than it really is (because its honestly too early to tell yet) but there are TONS of people that could care a less about posting a problem like this on youtube.

Yes its easy, but some people don't know/care/want to.

xkramz

thats the most rubbish "rant" ive ever read lol...its just a FACT that there will be defects in manufacturing...this is not a new phenomenon...its just reality and always has been...
I'm sorry you're right. It's just frustrating that you wait months to experience something and it takes a turn for the worst.

:(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was planning on going all digital but I did grab a disc copy of Forza 5 and DR3 just for speed's sake. I don't think I'd keep the system with a bum drive even though it is usable.

Guess I'll sleep easy and spend all day at work tomorrow till I can work out two exchanges. Both from Gamestop.

The main thing that's good about the Xbox and PS4 issues is that the APU and Motherboards seem to work fine. It's the other components that need tuning up apparently, like HDMI ports and disc drives.

This problem should be a lot better than PS4's.

One, it's immediate. Less ghostly than PSU being poorly calibrated.

Second, MS should be able to replace stocks faster than Sony.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Discs are fine btw, it's not chewing them. It just sounds horrendous.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
That sound is going to give me nightmares tonight. Anyway, famousmortimer has a point. It doesn't seem widespread and apparently one of them fixed itself... Buy digital though.

Minions

To be expected and easily fixable.

Need a bigger scandal than this.

Easily fixable? Still requires you to return/send back the console for another one. I doubt it is a huge widespread issue. Likely a batch of bluray drives they have. Easily fixable would be a issue with software which could be reflashed without return/shipping.

This problem should be a lot better than PS4's.

One, it's immediate. Less ghostly than PSU being poorly calibrated.

Second, MS should be able to replace stocks faster than Sony.

Was it figured out the PS4 problems were caused by a badly calibrated PSU?

Because I never read that anywhere

That sound is going to give me nightmares tonight. Anyway, famousmortimer has a point. It doesn't seem widespread and apparently one of them fixed itself... Buy digital though.

The XB1 that "fixed itself" in this thread was suffering from a problem with the initial download install not the disc drive

Top Bottom