• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jeezus, the second Bone here sounds far worse than the one in my room. The one in the living room nearly sounds like static, it's so loud. Horrifying.

Darksol

Well, that certainly sucks. Man, that noise >.<

Once again, give MS the benefit of the doubt. We live in a social media age. Hundreds of thousands (likely) units sold. Even a great launch will have duds, that's just the nature of the beast.

Petrae

I'm thankful that I was lucky through both the WiiU and PS4 launches.

I've been pretty lucky. My launch 32X didn't work and I had to return it. My launch PlayStation was incompatible with my Zenith TV and had a bouncing picture, so I had to get another TV. Other than that, the other six video game hardware platforms I've bought at launch worked well. A 75% success rate isn't too shabby.

EDIT: Forgot one platform.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe its faulty discs? Combined with super sensitive Blu-ray reader?

Tried 4 different games, same scenario. Discs are just fine, too - no scratches or anything before or after. Horrific.

Teletraan1

Banned
Sooooo 4 broken disc drives out of a million units sold and it's suddenly Microsoft is terrible!!!! EVIL COMPANY!!! THEY CAN BURN!!! LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THESE POOR PEOPLE!!!

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

No you didn't get it right. Thread has been pretty civil. Sucks for people at launch but I have bought so many DOA items in my life even not at launch that this doesn't surprise me anymore. I am usually more shocked if what I bought actually works. Will be interesting to see how widespread this is.

teiresias

hqY9dBs.png

The face of Xbox One.

Is that his reaction to Ghost's resolution?

Jomjom

Banned
Bluray discs are super tough to scratch so not surprised the discs are OK. 360 only owners are in for a treat after the crap that was the DVD.

Izuna

Banned
The Xbone was meant to play games from the net, not from discs!

Sarcasm aside, serious question... Wouldn't hard disk space be very horrible if MS went down that route?

Superman

That sucks Vince :(

"If" this failure rate was roughly the same as the PS4, what would the chances of getting 2 faulty consoles at the same time be? Is it that your massively unlucky? Or will it turn out that the issue is more widespread? Time will tell I guess.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
MS should be handing out download codes for games for those affected until they can replace the consoles.

Teletraan1

Banned
To be up in arms.

This is a small issue. If you live close to a MS service centre, you could be in and out with 20mins. At worst if it effects you, you wont have your console for a couple days. Its definitely repairable, unlike the BLOD.

Why is this some sort of competition of who's console is shittier or which issue is worse? The end result is that neither work for the end user and will need to be shipped away unless you are lucky enough to live close to a MS service center. How many people is that going to be an easy fix for?

To be up in arms.

This is a small issue. If you live close to a MS service centre, you could be in and out with 20mins. At worst if it effects you, you wont have your console for a couple days. Its definitely repairable, unlike the BLOD.

It appears as though you're taking this worse than the people experiencing the issue.

Try and breathe, all console launches have some bad units.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can you get video? I believe you, but man is that bad luck.

Yeah, it's nothing you haven't seen before though. I might as well publish it though.

Ehh I'll do it tomorrow. I have to be up in a few hours for work. Really stupid of me to be up this late too. :/

We have a console for our customers who don't want their discs sounding like they're being ground into oblivion. It's called...

I can see the problem here....

He's trying to play games on it rather than watch TV.

Seriously hope its not a widespread issue though

Trouble

Banned
I've seen optical drives fail like that before. It's the mechanism that moves the laser eye that is failing.

The good news is that it shouldn't harm the disc. The bad news is it's not user fixable, the drive needs to be replaced.

baphomet

To be up in arms.

When 2 consoles purchased by one person both have the issue its probably much more widespread. Also how is it any less repairable than the blod? Both are going to require internal components be replaced.

Wii U, Vita, 3DS... No one wants them.

All of those had hardware failure also. This isn't unique. They also had OS issues. The 3ds didn't even launch with an Eshop!

I still don't know if this is a big deal... but i want to know how thoughtsofspeaking is so certain about how easy it is to fix.

Qvoth

Sooooo 4 broken disc drives out of a million units sold and it's suddenly Microsoft is terrible!!!! EVIL COMPANY!!! THEY CAN BURN!!! LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THESE POOR PEOPLE!!!

Did I get it right?

DiscGate?

just knew he was gonna get banned for that

Vagabundo

XBone: Feed me!
GAFer: Does they have to be xbone games?
XBone: Feed me!
GAFer: Does they have to be mine?
XBone: Feeeed me!
GAFer: Where am I supposed to get it?
XBone: [singing] Feed me/ Feed me all night long - That's right, boy! - You can do it! Feed me / Feed me all night long / Ha ha ha ha ha! / Cause if you feed me / I can grow up big and strong.

kasane

All of those had hardware failure also. This isn't unique. They also had OS issues. The 3ds didn't even launch with an Eshop!

I still don't know if this is a big deal... but i want to know how thoughtsofspeaking is so certain about how easy it is to fix.

Hardware failures on vita?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hope it works out, sucks to have spent $1000 just to watch TV,

Shoot, I don't even have cable. I guess they'll be Killer Instinct boxes until they're replaced. Still, it's just disappointing because there's nothing I can do about it until there's stock. Since I bought from Gamestop, I have to wait until they get more units, and god knows when that'll be.

GhaleonEB

I stared at this way too long trying to spot the loop. I is tired.

As Ami said, things break, especially when you ship a bunch of a new thing. How many of those things actually broke won't be clear for a while. No reason to think it's wide spread yet.

That sound was nasty, though.

Booshka

The Xbone was meant to play games from the net, not from discs!

Sarcasm aside, serious question... Wouldn't hard disk space be very horrible if MS went down that route?

Pretty sure you have to install the games from the disc and play them from the hard drive anyway. The disc is just a software delivery device, you aren't actually running the game off the disc.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I've seen optical drives fail like that before. It's the mechanism that moves the laser eye that is failing.

The good news is that it shouldn't harm the disc. The bad news is it's not user fixable, the drive needs to be replaced.

Fixed the same issue on my 360 with the lid of a coke bottle ;)

Yeah, it's nothing you haven't seen before though. I might as well publish it though.

Ehh I'll do it tomorrow. I have to be up in a few hours for work. Really stupid of me to be up this late too. :/

I understand. The fact you got two faulty systems is what baffles me. I hope you get them replaced asap, with as little much hassle as possible!

Top Bottom