• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTuber is already in-line for Nintendo Switch, 1 month out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fairly young kid flew to New York City to be the first person in the world to obtain a Nintendo Switch on March 3rd. I don't really understand how he is going to do this but he plans on waiting at the store for a month.

I think he dropped out of school to pursue YouTube. Pretty insane that he's doing this. He posts daily vlogs, I think. I am really curious as to how he's doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILfAuurYByc

Wouldn't timezones mean that he would not be the first person in the world to obtain a Switch?

Skeletos311

Was Triforce using tomatoes or red peppers in that mac and cheese? It looks pretty good aside from the vienna sausage. I think I would throw some ground beef or bacon in mine.

nikos

I'd bet my Switch preorders that he won't be out there all month. Nintendo will also probably set a specific time for the Switch line to start. It's possible he'd lose his spot if he's not there at that time.

Petrae

New York City is due for a decent snowstorm. At least our intrepid Switch Wait-In-Line Guy can report on-location as he gets buried in snow.

I can also imagine that, when he enters the store on Launch Day, he'll have that Pig Pen cloud of dirt and odor surrounding him as he walks in.

Aroll

^
There is no point to wait outside in our time

In before,

"Why is he doing this when you can just order it online and have it shipped to your door?!"

-Too late.

Sure there is. For one, all the online retailers are sold out. Secondly, you get your console sooner. I can pickup my system at midnight instead of waiting potentially until 8pm launch day for fed ex to show up.

Lastly, if you didn't pre-order before stores stopped taking them, waiting in line is the only way to ensure you get one at launch, as many retailers reserve a handful of hardware on launch day for store shelves.

This is actually how I got a Wii U on launch. Wasn't sure I'd have the money so I didn't pre-order. Pre-orders then we're sold out in my area. So I went to Walmart at like, 6pm, and started a line for it. By the time midnight hit, the line was 30 people long, but they ended up only have 6 total systems that weren't for pre-order folks.

Felt pretty justified to wait in line.

deejay

Sure there is. For one, all the online retailers are sold out. Secondly, you get your console sooner. I can pickup my system at midnight instead of waiting potentially until 8pm launch day for fed ex to show up.

Lastly, if you didn't pre-order before stores stopped taking them, waiting in line is the only way to ensure you get one at launch, as many retailers reserve a handful of hardware on launch day for store shelves.

This is actually how I got a Wii U on launch. Wasn't sure I'd have the money so I didn't pre-order. Pre-orders then we're sold out in my area. So I went to Walmart at like, 6pm, and started a line for it. By the time midnight hit, the line was 30 people long, but they ended up only have 6 total systems that weren't for pre-order folks.

Felt pretty justified to wait in line.

I don't know about you, but I used to pick up games at midnight as well (popular releases like GTAIV) but then I got home and was too tired to play them. Besides, I had to get up for work a few hours later. Unless you're out of a job or still in school I doubt many people will even play it until later that day. Long story short; might as well order it online.

I'd bet my Switch preorders that he won't be out there all month. Nintendo will also probably set a specific time for the Switch line to start. It's possible he'd lose his spot if he's not there at that time.

he plans on being there open to close, that means when they actually start their official line he would be the first. he's standing in line for the priviledge to stand in the line.

Apathy

Well Nintendo can just do what Sony did and give tickets with your place in line so people didn't just stand outside overnights

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
You guys must not have very good imagination. He clearly is trying to get big on YouTube. A nice little stunt like this is great for views.

Surprised it's not Etika tbh.

Not sure whether I'd laugh or feel bad for him if come launch day he can't get one because they're only selling them to people who pre-ordered.

Sorry bro but I'm pretty sure I'll have it before you.

Considering New Zealand is like.... a whole day or something ahead of USA?

lolz.

border

You guys must not have very good imagination. He clearly is trying to get big on YouTube. A nice little stunt like this is great for views.

Is it really? Are people really going to tune in to watch a guy kill time in front of a Nintendo store? The Day One video they just posted is almost instantly boring. They aren't so much waiting in line as they are milling around the general area within a block of the store.

Either way this is still Februrary in New York we're talking about. We've got at least one more good snow storm/sleet&freezing rain combination coming before March. It's going to be some unpleasant living once that rolls in if he's still sticking with it..

KHlover

Banned

Amazon often ships early for big launches to make sure all customers get their stuff by launch date, which often results in stuff arriving a day early if you're lucky. I bet a lot of people who ordered online will get their Switch before you do at midnight.

border

They're operating off of some completely invented rule set that is neither observed nor endorsed by Nintendo or the property owner. All they're doing is pushing the absolute limits of what they can do without being arrested or cited for loitering.

"We have to be here everyday from 9AM until 9 PM.."

Why? If somebody shows up at 4AM a few days prior to launch and usurps your spot in line, you will have zero claim against them. If I was in NYC I'd almost want to try and snipe them.

Arkage

Banned
Pretty sure the videos they're going to make will be boring as hell, judging by the Day 1 vid. Already rehashing known information 3-4x in the same video to buy time. The only goal seems to be talking to random people on the sidewalk for the next 30 days and buying random Nintendo merchandise. Oh boy.

Why? If somebody shows up at 4AM a few days prior to launch and usurps your spot in line, you will have zero claim against them. If I was in NYC I'd almost want to try and snipe them.

Lol yeah same here, just as a joke though.

I guess the nintendo staff will just give it to them to not make a scene.

hohoXD123

But then he won't be the first person to get a switch. Some guy who orders it online and gets it early probably will be. I'm on #teamfake but #teamdumbass is pretty enticing as well.

Rootbeer

Banned
I like his dedication and passion. Subbed. I'm literally dying waiting on for Switch. So a daily video blog like this can help pass the time, hah.

I mean, until Zero Dawn. Then I have plenty to distract myself with.

Phil Fish

Banned
I'd get why he's doing this (or why anyone is doing it) if he missed out on online pre-orders, but if he deliberately skipped out on online pre-orders just to partake in lining up? I can't understand the rational behind doing that.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'd get why he's doing this (or why anyone is doing it) if he missed out on online pre-orders, but if he deliberately skipped out on online pre-orders just to partake in lining up? I can't understand the rational behind doing that.
In most cases these highly motivated fans who do the whole line song and dance had plenty of opportunities to pre-order online and choose not to. It's about the experience to them and, probably in most cases, about self-promotion because it gets people noticing them on social media and whatnot.

Look at Triforce... there are tons of guys like him in the competitive gaming world, but he's one of the most known (at least in the Nintendo circle) in part because of things like this. This is besides the fact of rather you like him or not, lol. And I know people have some legitimate reasons not to.

Wouldn't timezones mean that he would not be the first person in the world to obtain a Switch?

Even Timezones aside plenty of higher up nintendo employees, media outlets, high profiler reviewers, early shipments and even some store employees in certain areas will have access before him.

This is first person to have one in a specific location who is just a regular joe. It's even less of an achievement viewed like that.

Meffer

I'm surprised people here are looking down on him and questioning why. It's because he can. He wants to because he's getting enjoyment from it. If he has a the means to, all the more power to him.

Guys, the kid is putting out a show, you can watch it or you can ignore it, it might be fun to watch for some people and the kid seems like a nice person who clearly knows all this facts you are throwing around here. Relax a little, geez.

Guys, the kid is putting out a show, you can watch it or you can ignore it, it might be fun to watch for some people and the kid seems like a nice person who clearly knows all this facts you are throwing around here. Relax a little, geez.

No, I've found someone I can feel superior to. This is all I want in life.

Catvoca

Banned
No, I've found someone I can feel superior to. This is all I want in life.

MtZ9N.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom