• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YS updates Shenmue 3 backers on EGS controversy

Kazza

What’s SEGA’s actual involvement in this?

We don't know the details, but they gave Suzuki permissions to make the game (they aren't contributing any development or marketting funds)

What did the rereleases sell? 50k?

No solid figures, but Sega did say they were pleasantly surprised with the sales performance. It's probably not too far off 50k for Steam alone, and looking through the Dojo sales thread, it seems that 200k+ is a decent estimate. Not too shabby.

ethomaz

Banned
Stay on it then, you know they're gonna downplay and hide the info about getting a refund as hard as they could.
I believe there is not enough refunds to they care about hide.

That is because they choose to refund... it won't harm the development.

Last edited:

Conan-san

looking in, i just cant help but laugh at PC gamers who cant handle using a different FREE launcher
How many more times do you need to hear this, champ?
The EGS is shite.
It feels shite to use.
It's like you are paying to make up for what Epic is paying into it and their deals though it's god awful interface and half baked ui.

Last edited:

Pidull

I still don't understand why any Shenmue fans are bitching and moaning over this decision, we were close to never getting this game. Additionally, this doesn't end the story, this game MUST be a financial success.

They have made choices to help it get there. We are talking 23% change in royalties (18% vs Steam plus waived 5% fee for Unreal Engine 4). That effectively increases their take home amount by 35% by moving to the Epic Game Store.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a 35% increase in the likelihood this series is finished.

Pejo

Gold Member
I still don't understand why any Shenmue fans are bitching and moaning over this decision, we were close to never getting this game. Additionally, this doesn't end the story, this game MUST be a financial success.

They have made choices to help it get there. We are talking 23% change in royalties (18% vs Steam plus waived 5% fee for Unreal Engine 4). That effectively increases their take home amount by 35% by moving to the Epic Game Store.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a 35% increase in the likelihood this series is finished.
And when they pissed off all of the Shenmue fans who will refuse to buy/support the franchise anymore, and are trying to sell the game on its actual merits instead of finishing the story or relying on nostalgia - how will that play out for their bottom line? The game is not a looker, it's probably not going to be a joy to play either. It's a super niche game that relies on its fans, and they just nuked its goodwill from orbit.

Anyway, regarding the info in the OP, I'm glad they offered the (lol) year delay Steam keys, but most importantly refunds. If I ever bitched and complained about voting with my wallet, this is going to be that time that I actually do it. I'll never touch another Shenmue game and as petty as it sounds, I hope the game fails.

Also, fuck Epic.

Enjay

Banned
I presume that if the remaster really did sell as well as they've reported then this isn't gonna be succesful anyway since today's market has seen that these games aren't as good as they initally thought.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'll never touch another Shenmue game and as petty as it sounds, I hope the game fails.

I am sorry, but that is beyond petty knowing the history of the game series, all of the efforts to get it revived, etc... to wish for it to fail just because instead of the game being on Steam it comes on the EGS unless you ask for a refund or wait a while longer... or get it on consoles. Not just petty, the mother of all over reactions :p.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I am sorry, but that is beyond petty knowing the history of the game series, all of the efforts to get it revived, etc... to wish for it to fail just because instead of the game being on Steam it comes on the EGS unless you ask for a refund or wait a while longer... or get it on consoles. Not just petty, the mother of all over reactions :p.
You're free to feel that way, just like I am to feel the way that I do. For me, it all goes back to betrayal of the fans. They essentially used the Kickstarter fans that even made this possible as a cash advance to shop their game around, and continually have sold out to whoever will give them more money. Not only this, the game isn't even out yet and they've already squelched on several rewards (that people paid extra money for). Not to mention that the game's been delayed several times, there are almost no actual updates on the game itself, the features, etc. We get what, 3 trailers in a few years? No insight on what they're working on, how the progress is coming, etc.

I've been playing games for many, many years and have had a fair amount of shits taken on me by devs/pubs. This one especially pisses me off because the ENTIRE thing was only possible because they rested on goodwill and sold people a promise. Do you really think I should waste my time giving 2 shits about the effort spent to get the series revived? In retrospect, the entire thing has just been about $$.

The Epic Games thing is really just the tail end of why I'm upset about this, but it sure didn't do them any favors - in my eyes at least.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Really glad they are doing refunds. Although I applaud EGS sniping the 70/30, baiting people to buy on Steam and subsequently forcing them to EGS seemed messed up,

fermcr

Have nothing against Epic, but all this situation doesn't help future projects on fig or kickstarter...
Why should people back developers if we can't trust them?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're free to feel that way, just like I am to feel the way that I do.
I still think that wishing this to fail is to be a big overreaction, but anyways...

For me, it all goes back to betrayal of the fans. They essentially used the Kickstarter fans that even made this possible as a cash advance to shop their game around, and continually have sold out to whoever will give them more money.
What betrayal? You described how Kickstarter works in and of itself. You provide a budget, you push and push, and the game maker tries to deliver the vision you are enabling and unless they promised that if you pledged money they would never ask for additional money through slacker backer camoaigns (common parts of the process) or seek a publisher to help them cover the game costs and aim even higher.

Not only this, the game isn't even out yet and they've already squelched on several rewards (that people paid extra money for).
What rewards have been eliminated / changed? Do you have the kickstarter update where these were announced?

Not to mention that the game's been delayed several times, there are almost no actual updates on the game itself, the features, etc. We get what, 3 trailers in a few years? No insight on what they're working on, how the progress is coming, etc.
We have had regular kickstarter updates, we have trailer updates, and presentations at MagicMonaco, and at E3 it was actually playable. Given everything that went with the game, the hostility it received from some gamers and pro game bloggers, the size of the team, and the scope of a typical Shenmue game... well, considering what they have shown at E3 and what people played... well... scammed is one of the most incorrect adjectives I could use for how I am feeling about it and with good reasons.

This one especially pisses me off because the ENTIRE thing was only possible because they rested on goodwill and sold people a promise. Do you really think I should waste my time giving 2 shits about the effort spent to get the series revived?
Yes, because it was gamers that constantly pushed for it to happen that is likely to have changed the tides and allowed some help from interested parties to tip the scale. I am a fan of the series, followed it on DC, then on Xbox, and now on PS4, and for me getting the remasters and Shenmue III (very happy about what they have shown and allowed people to play at E3) and possibly a Shenmue IV to complete the story (or bring it closer ) is something I reasonably look forward to.

The game is not even out yet and you are essentially feeling scammed for what? Please tell me you are not a Star Citizen super backer-fan ;).

Havoc2049

The real question is: how many PC players even backed this project?

All this fuss over a minority crowd. Theres no way someone that was a passionate fan of the original two on DC, somehow now is a full time PC gamer. Console players backed this and you know it. This is just bait news to get riled over nothing. Seriously, who even wanted a PC version rather than a console ver of Shenmue 3.

If they announced how Linux version was cancelled im sure it would be all over the news even though like 3 people were backers for that version.
I’ve always been a computer and console gamer, going all the way back to the 8-bit days. I was a PC and Dreamcast gamer back then. I was part of the Dreamcast/SegaNet crew that migrated over to Xbox/Xbox Live, because of all the Sega Xbox support and continuation of console online gaming. I’ve never owned a PlayStation console. So as a big Shenmue fan, I backed the PC platform. I actually would have bought a PS4 if that was the only platform that Shenmue 3 was released on. I’m just glad Shenmue 3 is coming out at all. I also don’t have much rage hate that it’s an Epic store exclusive. To be honest, if I had a choice, I would prefer for Shenmue 3 to be on GOG.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All this situation doesn't help future projects on fig or kickstarter...
Why should people back developers if we can't trust them?

Because they did behave fairly and people are massively over reacting?
They are giving you refunds if the issue was EGS being unacceptable compared to the Steam promise. You can see how increasing their budget by 23% (or decreasing costs) is being invested in the game you backed, can't you? Call me outraged when you see Yu Suzuki being spotted on a brand new MCLaren P1...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Really glad they are doing refunds. Although I applaud EGS sniping the 70/30, baiting people to buy on Steam and subsequently forcing them to EGS seemed messed up,

I do not think it is a bait and switch... I do not see it as them duping you into thinking you were getting it on Steam and trying to pull a trick under your nose...

Pidull

You're free to feel that way, just like I am to feel the way that I do. For me, it all goes back to betrayal of the fans. They essentially used the Kickstarter fans that even made this possible as a cash advance to shop their game around, and continually have sold out to whoever will give them more money. Not only this, the game isn't even out yet and they've already squelched on several rewards (that people paid extra money for). Not to mention that the game's been delayed several times, there are almost no actual updates on the game itself, the features, etc. We get what, 3 trailers in a few years? No insight on what they're working on, how the progress is coming, etc.

I've been playing games for many, many years and have had a fair amount of shits taken on me by devs/pubs. This one especially pisses me off because the ENTIRE thing was only possible because they rested on goodwill and sold people a promise. Do you really think I should waste my time giving 2 shits about the effort spent to get the series revived? In retrospect, the entire thing has just been about $$.

The Epic Games thing is really just the tail end of why I'm upset about this, but it sure didn't do them any favors - in my eyes at least.
This is a big budget title being developed as essentially an indie title, if you are this upset about how they raised capital to get this made then I think your expectations were unrealistic from the beginning. If this project was going to get anywhere close to Yu's vision, 6 million was nowhere close to enough money.

They had nothing to show in 2016 and they're launching this year, that's incredible progress for any game these days, let alone a series like Shenmue. Showing progress means nothing if you can't finish the project (looking at you Star Citizen).

An installer is the least of my concerns for this game, I'd get the game even if it was only available on Facebook Games.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I do not think it is a bait and switch... I do not see it as them duping you into thinking you were getting it on Steam and trying to pull a trick under your nose...

I mean, that’s what it initially looked like wasn’t it? But now they did the right thing and offered refunds to people allergic to EGS right?

fermcr

Because they did behave fairly and people are massively over reacting?
They are giving you refunds if the issue was EGS being unacceptable compared to the Steam promise. You can see how increasing their budget by 23% (or decreasing costs) is being invested in the game you backed, can't you? Call me outraged when you see Yu Suzuki being spotted on a brand new MCLaren P1...

So basically backers are lending them money without interest to develop the game. After it's finished, screw the backers, make a better deal with a publisher and refund who ever disagrees with them.
If you agree with this practice, you are not a decent person...

Pejo

Gold Member
This is a big budget title being developed as essentially an indie title, if you are this upset about how they raised capital to get this made then I think your expectations were unrealistic from the beginning. If this project was going to get anywhere close to Yu's vision, 6 million was nowhere close to enough money.

They had nothing to show in 2016 and they're launching this year, that's incredible progress for any game these days, let alone a series like Shenmue. Showing progress means nothing if you can't finish the project (looking at you Star Citizen).

An installer is the least of my concerns for this game, I'd get the game even if it was only available on Facebook Games.
If you think the result we got at E3 looks like a 47 million dollar game(estimated cost of Shenmue 1), you're being dishonest. It's a scaled back game, and it's not essentially an indie title, it is an indie title. The game looks as good as I'd expect for 6 million. If you think they've spent the 6 million well, how the hell would you even know, because they have been completely silent on where the budget went. I was happy with the footage of the game, but it looked like Shenmue. Not like a AAA game in 2019, but a sharper version of a 2001 game.

I'm happy for you that you're excited about the game, but I'm definitely out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So basically backers are lending them money without interest to develop the game. After it's finished, screw the backers, make a better deal with a publisher and refund who ever disagrees with them.
If you agree with this practice, you are not a decent person...

How were the backers screwed? Sorry, even more clear this time... how are the PC backers screwed? You want interest on the money refunded?!

Unless you can reason about how they screwed you out of your money and going on PC for the EGS to decrease costs by about 23% then what kind of appeal to decency argument are you even putting forth?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you think the result we got at E3 looks like a 47 million dollar game(estimated cost of Shenmue 1), you're being dishonest. It's a scaled back game, and it's not essentially an indie title, it is an indie title. The game looks as good as I'd expect for 6 million. If you think they've spent the 6 million well, how the hell would you even know, because they have been completely silent on where the budget went. I was happy with the footage of the game, but it looked like Shenmue. Not like a AAA game in 2019, but a sharper version of a 2001 game.

So your argument is that the game looks like Shenmue, you acknowledge the original cost (much worse tools and HW at the time and the game is not aiming nor was it ever to be the be all and end all of graphics tech... hence why this is not developed with a budget even remotely similar to that of the original one... else it would be a big AAA title), and you also acknowledge how much smaller the budget for this title was and yet how it still feels Shenmue like... You are saying it looks good and you were happy with the release footage yet are questioning if the budget was well spent?!

Yet... it is a scam as they did not give you a detailed itemised yearly P&L?

Pejo

Gold Member
So your argument is that the game looks like Shenmue, you acknowledge the original cost (much worse tools and HW at the time and the game is not aiming nor was it ever to be the be all and end all of graphics tech... hence why this is not developed with a budget even remotely similar to that of the original one... else it would be a big AAA title), and you also acknowledge how much smaller the budget for this title was and yet how it still feels Shenmue like... You are saying it looks good and you were happy with the release footage yet are questioning if the budget was well spent?!

Yet... it is a scam as they did not give you a detailed itemised yearly P&L?
I'm not sure what you're arguing about anymore. You're just piecing my posts apart and going off on tangents. Let's just agree to disagree on the entire way this project was handled.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not sure what you're arguing about anymore. You're just piecing my posts apart and going off on tangents. Let's just agree to disagree on the entire way this project was handled.

I an addressing the points you made and asked questions. Not sure where the tangents are lol.

I am asking you to elaborate on how this was mishandled when you yourself are saying you are happy with the results (gameplay videos).

I don't get all the outrage. It's as if people have forgotten that this game could have easily remained a pipedream.
At this point it probably should have remained a pipedream. The success rate of these big-name Kickstarters has been abysmally low in terms of delivering an actual playable game people liked. Bloodstained is the last one I remember being good. Mighty No. 9 was of course a colossal disaster.

fermcr

How were the backers screwed? Sorry, even more clear this time... how are the PC backers screwed? You want interest on the money refunded?!

Unless you can reason about how they screwed you out of your money and going on PC for the EGS to decrease costs by about 23% then what kind of appeal to decency argument are you even putting forth?

So interest is not important or "stupid"? If so, lend me a few million dollars without interest for 3 or 4 years. That's what the developers did...

If you can't see what's wrong with this picture, I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So interest is not important or "stupid"? If so, lend me a few million dollars without interest for 3 or 4 years. That's what the developers did...

If you can't see what's wrong with this picture, I don't know what to say.

You must be against any form of Kickstarter, you must be protesting daily about all the refunds people get on preorders without interest, etc... well against any preorder in general as you give the money in some cases before they ship the product. How do you feel about tax returns?

Kickstarter works like this, it is in Kickstarter T&C’s... what is really bringing this principled outrage here in this very case?

Also this is possibly less than $6 of interest if I counted cumulative interest of 3% per year out of $59 of Kickstarter funding and counting 4-5 years... you must be fun if you ever buy a friend lunch and meet them again in a few years and expect them to buy yiu

Petrae

At this point it probably should have remained a pipedream. The success rate of these big-name Kickstarters has been abysmally low in terms of delivering an actual playable game people liked. Bloodstained is the last one I remember being good. Mighty No. 9 was of course a colossal disaster.

I’ll never waste money on crowdfunding— especially for a AAA video game. Even Bloodstained, which came out decently, still had serious issues and shipped incomplete because the publisher who took over likely pushed for a hard release date instead of more delays. Mighty No. 9 was a joke, Star Citizen may or may not ever be finished, and here we have the developer conceding that Deep Silver still needed to inject money into the project.

Knowing that Deep Silver is now ultimately responsible for the game— much like 505 Games for Bloodstained— who knows how it will further alter the deal that backers initially thought they were getting? It’s all too sketchy for me to throw money at until it hits store shelves and I can have evaluated the final product and its value versus retail cost.

Keihart

Seems that Epic bailed the Shenmue kickstarter with its V-bucks to make refunds possible.

Well, now i kinda like the Epic guys, that's a pretty cool move.
When i backed the project i couldn't care less for the platform, making Shenmue 3 a reality and with Yu Susuki was enough to make me donate, that man is a legend and Sega had him doing nothing and kicking all of his projects to the trash, not so different from the purgatory in which Igarashi was at Konami. I really hope that if we don't get a Shenmue 4 after this, that we can at least get a new IP from the team at Y's Net.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The bare minimum that should be expected (from initially denying refunds to accepting them) is now super cool? They buy project fans & backers to become users of their own platform with such deals, offering a few refunds as part of the price of these humans is nothing. The kickstarter only raised 6 million after all (it's crazy publishers, SEGA included, and Epic, weren't interested in funding the game out of their own pocket) and it's not like everyone will bother asking for the refund, It was dumb to deny them in the first place, they're just correcting it. I'd like to see Epic fund games, not take already funded/done games as exclusives, that's risk-free. They have all the money in the world, enough to make a good store, enough to entice gamers rather than try to buy them out or force them to get in, but they refuse to do any of it for whatever reason, it's not like they're not smarter than that either. It's just weird and will only lead to weaker competition. If that's the best that can be mustered by all the Fortnite money then imagine what companies without that insane expendable revenue can do even worse if they try, Steam will not budge in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
What's the logic here? :pie_thinking:
I was a console gamer foremost when I was younger, but nowadays I've chosen to buy most of my games on PC if they were available. I imagine a lot of people when they grew up got more access to a PC, as well as an interest in using a PC and slowly moved over to being PC gamers. More so during the MMORPG craze of 2000-2010. I don't see how being a fan of the original two games on DC, somehow must mean you might not have moved over to PC gaming and that you are married to the idea of being a console gamer that plays all games on console.

The logic is,this whole fuss is as if they betrayed 95% of the backers where in reality its probably less than 5%. Of course there will be PC gamers but the way this news spread was as if it was a PC release only. If you are a PC gamer, just take 2 minutes to install the Epic launcher and enjoy the game. People raising hell where there isnt any.

Stop making it a big deal that its Epic instead of Steam because it isnt. I dont even game on PC and i installed the Epic launcher and have 10+ free games and I have a Steam account.

Alexios

The logic is,this whole fuss is as if they betrayed 95% of the backers where in reality its probably less than 5%. Of course there will be PC gamers but the way this news spread was as if it was a PC release only. If you are a PC gamer, just take 2 minutes to install the Epic launcher and enjoy the game. People raising hell where there isnt any.

Stop making it a big deal that its Epic instead of Steam because it isnt. I dont even game on PC and i installed the Epic launcher and have 10+ free games and I have a Steam account.
So you admit you don't game on PC but everyone who does should listen to you and realize you're right? You haven't even followed discussions if you think what you claim hasn't already been said a million times, then refuted a million times with actual arguments from people who know what they're talking about (and those going ignored a million times for people to continue spewing the same ignorant bs while claiming they really don't care about the issue and neither should anyone else). You don't have to care about any of this, you can play how you want, but passing judgement on what others should care about, care enough to be more informed about all the implications and the actual issues on hand more than you and happen to wish to speak against it? Words, what a crime! Especially if it's such a tiny minority as you think? Just ignore this pitiful noise then, how's it affecting you in any way whatsoever, that some speak against it? Just move on if you're so detached from the issue rather than try to tell others they're wrong to have a different opinion because in fact you know best despite not even gaming on PC. Just the fact it took a Fortnite level of success for a prominent competitor to show up should hint you in that in fact it's not "just a launcher" otherwise every company would have its own and we'd all be fine and already accustomed to buying directly from the given publisher for every single game purchase, instead we have gaming colossi try and fail like how Microsoft tried and failed and now default to Steam and how Bethesda tried and failed and now default to Steam (I guess Microsoft and Bethesda alongside the vast majority of gaming companies out there who don't have a deal with EGS and continue to use Steam hate money, or maybe it's that they're too big for Epic to outright buy with a few million dollars without offering the same level of services as Steam, huh, could that possibly be a factor, because they also know a lot more than someone who doesn't even game on PC, maybe, hell, couldn't that also apply to those who do have a deal with EGS for this or that game, but still choose to release others on Steam?) and so on. Duh. Nope, it's obvious everyone against it is either a raging Steam fanboy or a shill paid by Valve, even if they happily use other "launchers", other than Steam, other than EGS. Totes.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
And when they pissed off all of the Shenmue fans who will refuse to buy/support the franchise anymore, and are trying to sell the game on its actual merits instead of finishing the story or relying on nostalgia - how will that play out for their bottom line? The game is not a looker, it's probably not going to be a joy to play either. It's a super niche game that relies on its fans, and they just nuked its goodwill from orbit.

Anyway, regarding the info in the OP, I'm glad they offered the (lol) year delay Steam keys, but most importantly refunds. If I ever bitched and complained about voting with my wallet, this is going to be that time that I actually do it. I'll never touch another Shenmue game and as petty as it sounds, I hope the game fails.

Also, fuck Epic.
Got them both as Christmas gifts in their respective release years. Been hoping for them to make part 3 ever since seeing the punch out ending to part 2. I also hope they fail for this bullshit.

Pidull

Assuming the ballpark number of $100k per person per year for development costs (This Kotaku article pins it at $10k per person per month), that $6 million would support 15 full-time staff members over the course of 4 years.

So actually, I imagine they had a lot more than 15 full-time staff members, and a lot more than $6 million to spend.

Alexios Alexios

My point is go and check how many actual PC players backed this. More than 90% are console. this whole fiasco as if they "betrayed" the 90+%.

Oh and btw not the developers or Kickstarter are refunding the money, Epic just announced they will give you your money back. So not only do you have your cash back because its too much work to install another launcher, you can actually still buy it on PC if you wish. So you lost nothing. So how much longer will you cry about this?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What a shit show

- Shenmue III announced. Yay!
- KS funded. Meh, but acceptable
- Game delayed. Nay!
- Steam is 70/30 split. Meh, but that's the going rate
- EGS is 88/12 split. Yay for devs!
- EGS affiliated. Nay!
- Gamers want refunds and inititially they said no. Nay!
- Refunds coming from EGS. Yay!
- Steam keys and distribution seem like a clusterfuck, coming later. Nay!
- Looks like devs sold out to EGS for exclusivity deal, higher rev split ratio and UE fee waived........ Yay or Nay?!?!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Got them both as Christmas gifts in their respective release years. Been hoping for them to make part 3 ever since seeing the punch out ending to part 2. I also hope they fail for this bullshit.

For the whole release to fail on consoles too and thus making sure Shenmue 4 does not get made because they switched from Steam to EGS to lower costs and they are offering refunds? What?

Zaffo

First good thing Sweeney's done in a while.

This kills every future kickstarter, there always was the risk of stumbling into a bad project and losing you pledge money, but now with Tim actively on the hunt for kickstarter games with a positive community, to steal the fun out of like a vampire.
Who is gonna risk investing into a project that could just be stolen away months before the release, by a guy with a offer you cannot refuse.

Alexios

Alexios Alexios

My point is go and check how many actual PC players backed this. More than 90% are console. this whole fiasco as if they "betrayed" the 90+%.

Oh and btw not the developers or Kickstarter are refunding the money, Epic just announced they will give you your money back. So not only do you have your cash back because its too much work to install another launcher, you can actually still buy it on PC if you wish. So you lost nothing. So how much longer will you cry about this?
Again, disagreeing with you on a discussion topic in a discussion forum that people wish to discuss out of interest, while you get in to proclaim you have no interest (and show no knowledge of) because you don't even game on PC but wish to tell whoever they're wrong, isn't "crying". It's not "just a launcher", what did this post even add to the conversation that you didn't already say, that I didn't already reply to? Should I just quote my last post since you show you neither read it nor commented on anything it brought to the table in an attempt to inform your ignorant ranting? Who exactly claimed 100% of the backers were in it for Steam? Are you just crying that others are crying? People shouldn't have "cried" and just accepted it is what it is rather than get them to submit to the pressure and at least offer refunds to those who want them as they just caved in doing? Doesn't denying refunds for what you claim is a pitiful amount of backers make it even worse as it's not like they'd lose much money in the first place? Even if it's true most backers weren't in it for Steam, doesn't the noise made actually prove more (informed) people agreed with them even if you don't?

Last edited:

ookami

This kills every future kickstarter, there always was the risk of stumbling into a bad project and losing you pledge money, but now with Tim actively on the hunt for kickstarter games with a positive community, to steal the fun out of like a vampire.
Who is gonna risk investing into a project that could just be stolen away months before the release, by a guy with a offer you cannot refuse.
It won't kill anything and a lot of people will continue to give money - not invest - in return for a reward.
In my opinion, people not satisfied with the EGS are a minority compared to their already existing user base and mainstream gamers. They said at the last GCD that they had around 85 million users in March and that around 40% of their user base didn't use steam.
I don't really care about which platform I use, even though handling multiple launchers is not ideal, but introducing the concept of temporal exclusivity on PC is not really to my liking.

Last edited:

Zaffo

In my opinion, people not satisfied with the EGS are a minority compared to their already existing user base and mainstream gamers.

Thing is, people who invest into crowdfounding and niche projects are not mainstream gamers, in order to get to throw money at the promise of a videogame, you need to be at least a bit invested and knowledgable about the media.

ookami

Thing is, people who invest into crowdfounding and niche projects are not mainstream gamers, in order to get to throw money at the promise of a videogame, you need to be at least a bit invested and knowledgable about the media.
Yeah, I should have clarified this since I started by talking about Kickstarter projects. It was meant in a general context and not exclusively on the crowdfunding platform.

JayCeeJim

Neo Member

Why on Earth would anyone avoid backing an interesting Kickstarter because of the eventual possibility that, in the future, they would be given a chance of bailing out with a full refund? That's irrational as fuck.

In fact I think the effect could be the exact opposite.

Top Bottom