• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim PC |OT| - Re-Release of the Far West Ocean

Volcynika

FpY5W7r.png

lUCkkkQ.png

Red-haired adventurer extraordinaire Adol Christin has finally reunited with his best pal, Dogi, and is eager to begin a new adventure in Afroca. It seems fate has other plans, however, as a pirate captain named Ladoc catches up with him during a brief stopover in the port city of Ediz, and presents him with an offer he simply can’t refuse.

Ladoc, it happens, is the father of an old acquaintance from one of Adol’s previous adventures, and he wishes to solicit Adol’s expertise in exploring the mysterious western islands of Canaan. There, a phenomenon similar to the Stormwall from Adol’s first ever quest in Esteria is occurring, completely cutting off all trade and communication both in and out. The land is thus completely uncharted, and may hold treasures of heretofore unseen value.

Never ones to back away from a good mystery, Adol and Dogi both agree to join Ladoc and his daughter, Terra, on this expedition aboard their ship, the “Tres Mares.”

It seems the Romuns have their sights set on Canaan as well, however, and they’re none too keen on a ragtag group of pirates and adventurers getting in their way. When the Tres Mares is inevitably attacked at sea, Adol is knocked overboard and left for dead.

He washes ashore in Canaan itself, alive but weakened, rescued and resuscitated by two young girls named Isha and Olha who sport long ears and bushy tails. They are of the native “Rehda” tribe, and it seems Adol is not the first human to arrive here—nor are humans particularly welcome...

xx2oKVW.png

Minimum Requirements
  • Processor: Pentium III 800 MHz
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 32 MB VRAM, 3D accelerator compatible w/ DirectX 9.0c
  • DirectX: Version 8.0
  • Hard Drive: 1 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c

Recommended Requirements
  • Processor: Pentium III 1 GHz or higher
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 32 MB VRAM, 3D accelerator compatible w/ DirectX 9.0c
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c

nIDnplt.png

• Action-Packed Combat with Powerful Sword Abilities - The fast, real-time combat Ys is known for gets a new twist: three swords that control differently and house unique magical abilities which factor into all battle combos.
  • Challenging Bosses That Fill the Screen - Set to quintessentially Ys rock music composed by the legendary Falcom Sound Team jdk, giant monstrosities fill the screen as they use clever tactics to try and end Adol’s quest!
  • A Cornerstone of Ys Series Lore - Tying into Ys history in ways that have far-reaching implications for the series as a whole, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim is replete with shocking revelations and familiar faces while still telling a completely standalone tale, making it ideal for newcomers and veterans alike.
  • New PC-Exclusive Features Provide New Ways to Play - Adjustable high-resolution PC graphics and gamepad support join gameplay additions such as the ability to warp among checkpoints and a new optional “Catastrophe Mode” where healing items can’t be purchased or stored, to create a gameplay experience more in line with later entries and make this the most complete and engaging Ys VI to date!
  • Includes Ys VI Material Collection Digital Art Book - As an added bonus for Ys aficionados, all copies of the game purchased through Steam or GOG will include downloadable high-resolution art assets originally offered by the developer through an exclusive (and very much out-of-print) Japanese fan disc.

cWfb5kN.png

MXwNSY2.png

Aeana

Really glad that the last of the Ys 6 engine games will be up on Steam. Love this game to pieces. Will probably need to make better tutorial videos for dash jumping and the wind blade combo extension than I made before.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm really excited for this one. I adore Felghana, loved Origin... but I never played Ys VI. Glad I'll finally be able to remedy that. Already preordered it on GOG, so I'll be digging in as soon as I'm back home tomorrow.

Holy crap, this looks really good. I might just chuck my copy and buy the pc version.
You have the PS2 version? It's worth knowing that, at the expense of the console game's voice acting and CG opening, you're getting an item for warping across a tedious overworld, a mode allowing for item usage/non-storage (across multiple difficulties) making it play closer to Oath in Felghana, and the Ys VI artbook omake.

I keep flip flopping between playing the game the way it was designed or turning on Catastrophe mode and playing a more challenging experience. I'm not super opposed to having healing items during boss fights but the Ys games that let you easily stock an infinite amount of them making bosses much too easy. I will make use of warping regardless because no warping is dumb in a game like Ys.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was Oath part of the numbered series? We know 1 and 2, Origin is a prequel I imagine, this is 6 and i played 7 on psp (which was just called Ys 7), so what about Oath?

Ibuki

Banned
Still need to decide if I'm gonna pick it up in Steam or GOG. All my other Ys games are on Steam, but I really like what GOG is doing.

Yeah, hype for more Ys!

Good OT btw. Can't wait to play this.

Eager to see the soundtrack after the last thread and I want to see what is this dash jump =X

Usobuko

Banned
I buy all my Ys games day 0 even if I don't have time for them atm.

Still need to decide if I'm gonna pick it up in Steam or GOG. All my other Ys games are on Steam, but I really like what GOG is doing.

Why not give GoG a chance? Doesn't hurt to at least try something different once.

I can't wait! Really flip-flopping about Catastrophe Mode, too, but I guess there's always multiple playthroughs.

And I am so, so psyched to hear what this track sounds like in-game. Mannn.

ArjanN

Huh. I never knew that. So technically we now have 1,2,3 and 6 and whatever Origin is (0?)

Origin would be 0, yeah, story-wise anyway, even it was released later.

To be honest most of the games are very standalone in story though.
Most of them boil down to something like: Adol shows up, kills the big bad then, wins some girl's heart then wanders off again to his next adventure. Oh, and Dogi breaks a wall I guess.

-Oath

It's super easy:

Tilt the direction you want to dash jump in -> release dpad/analog stick -> press attack and jump together. Bing.

Ive played the PS2, PC and PSP versions and for some reason in each game I forget that dash jumping exists and can never get it consistently. Always miss it when it matters. Does the game ever tell you its a maneuver?

Are they steam codes? or standalone downloads?

GoG is it's own service that is DRM free and offers 30 days money back guarantee if you don't like a game it's by far the most flexible service to buy a game on digitally. I'm still getting the game on Steam because I own the rest of the series on Steam, but I would double dip to have them on GoG as well.

Varion

I see, thanks. I heard that the PS2's VA wasn't that good so this might be for the best.
It really wasn't, in either language. The Japanese is so monotone it's funny. I go back to laugh at that and the bad CG in the opening every so often, it never gets old.

This game is amazing. Turn up all graphic settings and get 60fpd Ys goodness. Amazing game. Except the dash jump mechanic. Good luck with that

Ibuki

Banned
I buy all my Ys games day 0 even if I don't have time for them atm.

Why not give GoG a chance? Doesn't hurt to at least try something different once.

I have tried GOG many times and I really like it! Just thinking I'd like to keep my complete collection together.

Top Bottom