• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana import impressions thread

Dio

Banned
Ah well, doesn't sound the game for me. I prefer old school Falcom to what they do nowadays and after listening to that bland OST, don't think I've enjoyed a Falcom soundtrack in a long time now, they all sound the same. Guess I'll skip it. Still have Xanadu Next and Ys Origins to play yet anyway, so it's no biggie.

Really? The Cold Steel series soundtracks are top tier IMO and I've listened to somewhere around 300 Falcom albums from every single era of the company's history. TX actually had a few great tracks as well although it wasn't one of their best soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp31O0-WwRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3_-f7RQ3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebHx7QjlWc

Guru-Guru

Banned
Finished the game!As for the core gameplay, when you are left to your own devices and free to explore, the game was really shines. Super tight Ys (7/Celceta) gameplay, many areas, optional dungeons etc. to go through. Sadly, when following the main story and doing quests, you often have to read a whole bunch of text.

It's not bad text by any means and people who just want a solid JRPG will probably be satisfied, but if you're like me and you value gameplay over lengthy exposition, it could get annoying from time to time.

That said, when the game ended I realized that in the end I grew to like all villagers and my party members. So I guess the story side did its part.

Long story short, Ys 8 is a really great game. The best proof of that is the fact that I was entertained enough to 100% almost all side activities, which I very rarely do (and this is my first Ys game in which I did it). Big thumbs up.
I'm definitely at the point where I am starting to get annoyed. At about 12 hours in I am currently at the part where
the stupid old noble dude decides to run away on the boat (and gets rekt), and you also are trying to figure out who the homie stabbing people is
. It's been about 1.5 hours so far of cutscenes and limited gameplay (can't fast travel and ignore the story beats). Definitely can't wait for the end of this chapter.

I'm absolutely *loving* the game when I have freedom to do what I want though. The areas are fairly big and interconnected, and I like how you can unlock shortcuts (often with items you gain in the dungeon itself). Cutscenes and dialogue are fine when you are out in the field too, as at least so far, they are usually pretty short. It's just the stuff in the base that tends to drag on!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
At about 12 hours in I am currently at the part where
the stupid old noble dude decides to run away on the boat (and gets rekt), and you also are trying to figure out who the homie stabbing people is
. It's been about 1.5 hours so far of cutscenes and limited gameplay (can't fast travel and ignore the story beats). Definitely can't wait for the end of this chapter.
I think that part (while interesting in its own right) might be the worst offender of throwing the pacing out the window. I remember being really annoyed by not being able to do any new exploring during that arc.

As for the chapters, the split is really weird - I think chapter 2 alone is 1/4 of the game and contains many smaller stories. The game doesn't follow the 1 chapter = 1 arc rule that much.

ranmafan

Finished the game!
Took me 40 hours (normal difficulty), almost to the minute, which I found quite funny.
Long story short, Ys 8 is a really great game. The best proof of that is the fact that I was entertained enough to 100% almost all side activities, which I very rarely do (and this is my first Ys game in which I did it). Big thumbs up.

Great impressions! And very glad to hear it lives up to the hype in being a great game all the way to the end.

I'm hoping to finally play some more tonight, as I've been unable to play all this week so far due to other things keeping me super busy. Really want to play a lot the rest of the week if I can make the time. But real glad to hear the great impressions.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I think that part (while interesting in its own right) might be the worst offender of throwing the pacing out the window. I remember being really annoyed by not being able to do any new exploring during that arc.

As for the chapters, the split is really weird - I think chapter 2 alone is 1/4 of the game and contains many smaller stories. The game doesn't follow the 1 chapter = 1 arc rule that much.
Yeah, I was so excited after finishing chapter 2, only for
the first 30 minutes of chapter 3 to be a bunch of cutscenes with Dana (albeit with some combat). After how long the end of chapter 2 is, I was pretty frustrated that chapter 3 started out this way.

Oh well though! Finally got to explore more again, and the area at the start of chapter 3 has been really cool to navigate. Looks like I will be getting a new party member very soon too!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It really is insane how much content this game has not to mention the enviros to explore. Really is a joy to play this game. Along with the quick travel and how the areas themselves are nice looking. This is how you do backtracking right.

Give players nice / interesting enviros and it does not feel like a chore to go through multiple times.

Am very impressed with this game overall and as said before the soundtrack is fantastic as always. Very happy with the purchase and a must for any fan of the Ys series.

NesFe

Finished the game. It took me 42 hours and 45 minutes, maxed almost everything (favorability, weapons, armor etc..) ,100% the map and did all the side quests except for 2 and managed to get the true ending ^^.

Combat and music are great, standard Ys so i won't talk much about them.I felt the game offered lots of content and several optional areas to explore. The addition of the jump mechanic is great. It's used in fighting, platforming and overall traversal of the map. it just makes the game better imo (makes me wonder how would i like Ys Sven/Celceta if I play them now ).

As for the too much story complaints, I was a bit annoyed in the first couple of chapters(1 and 2) but I grew to like the castaways and was very interested in what was going on in the main story (I really liked the story :p) so it wasn't an issue for me.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the game. it felt like a mystery adventure which I love. Not many games can offer that feeling of adventure for me so I'm always happy to play a game like this.

gg Falcom.

hongcha

I'm about 10 hours in, still in Chapter 2, still loving it. I just love the sense of adventure and discovery this game gives the player.

The story is enjoyable and I've yet to feel like there is too much text or too many story segments. I like most of the characters, especially Laxia who is probably my favorite character (other than Adol) in any Ys game.

I wish I had more time to play on a daily basis, at my current rate I'll finish it in a few weeks!

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'm about 10 hours in, still in Chapter 2, still loving it. I just love the sense of adventure and discovery this game gives the player.

The story is enjoyable and I've yet to feel like there is too much text or too many story segments. I like most of the characters, especially Laxia who is probably my favorite character (other than Adol) in any Ys game.

I wish I had more time to play on a daily basis, at my current rate I'll finish it in a few weeks!
How far you in chapter 2? It really grinds to a halt near the end of the chapter. About 2 hours plus of too many story segments. Worst part is that it continues into the beginning of the next chapter. The thing is, the story beats are really predictable and take too long to resolve. I'm in chapter 4 and hit another point where all I want to do is explore, but there is a ton of story I have to drag through. I hate how every character has to announce what is happening/what just happened.

Sitrus

On to chapter 3 now :D

I love the act of exploring in this game. The story is not as bad as I expected, I actually read everything without skipping for once. The climax of chapter 2 was, well, interesting how that thing just appeared and ended it there xD

The music is just awesome and I would really like to get the OST on spotify soon.

Gu4n

My copy is finally coming in tomorrow morning. With import fees and custom taxes added it's the most expensive game I've ever bought, but from what I gather here and from friend who have finished it already it's completely worth it.

hongcha

Deep into chapter 4 now, about 19 hours in. This game is simply a masterpiece. Technically, it is the most impressive portable game I have ever played. I can hardly believe some of the scenery in this game - just breathtaking stuff. And you can see for miles, there is practically no pop-in! I don't know how they did it. It is better than most ps3 games in this regard. It really feels like you are exploring a large island.

I still love all the story bits, it just keeps getting more and more interesting.

Gu4n

My experiences are very much like the ones described by hongcha: Ys VIII is an absolute master piece. The areas are vast, detailed and rich with adventure. The soundtrack uses its music sparingly, which works because all field BGM's are simply amazing. The characters are surprisingly interesting, though I hardly stick around to talk to them since I want to explore. That said, the conclusion chapter 2 hit me harder than any other Ys as a whole bar Seven maybe. Running, jumping, slashing -- movement in general -- with Adol feels very natural even though jumping is still relatively new. While Rixia is fairly safe, Sahad and Hummel are a blast to play as, really satisfying.

I played about 14-15 hours and I'm currently in the Gens d'Armes dungeon.

Baust

Just wrapped up the game at about 47 hours. Didn't quite get 100%.

But, wow did I love it. Falcom did an amazing job with this one.

Question about something from the ending:
What was up with that art of the dragon bones that they showed after the credits? Is that some kind of hint for the next game? That wasn't from Ys V, was it?

hongcha

I just finished the game with 39:33 on my in-game clock (I didn't do many of the side quests because I am never interested in that stuff). Wow, what a game! Easily my GOTY and one of the best action-RPGs I've ever played.

What was up with that art of the dragon bones that they showed after the credits? Is that some kind of hint for the next game? That wasn't from Ys V, was it?

I thought it was
Laxia and her Dad excavating some bones.

jb1234

Does the game justify its length, guys? I was already sick of Ys VII by the time I finished it at twenty hours. I'm not sure how an Ys twice that length can work.

hongcha

Does the game justify its length, guys? I was already sick of Ys VII by the time I finished it at twenty hours. I'm not sure how an Ys twice that length can work.

I enjoyed every minute of it. It has a really great story, and the character Dana, well... I don't want to spoil anything... so all I can say is she stole the show for me, and made the game incredibly interesting.

The story has many layers and many characters. The exploration and gameplay are top notch. Like I said before, the game is a masterpiece in JRPG design and execution. However, if you don't like reading a lot of things in your video games then it might not be your cup of tea.

Shin-chan

Yeah, these glowing reviews are getting me really excited. I'll hang tight for the PS4 release I think, and hopefully a localisation will be announced by then too.

Am I understanding right that the story is actually good and the game justifies its abnormally long run time?

Guru-Guru

Banned
Am I understanding right that the story is actually good and the game justifies its abnormally long run time?
I think the story is straight up awful, but like usual in most import threads, I guess I am in the minority with this opinion. I'm currently midway through chapter 5, so I doubt my thoughts will change. Celceta is the only other Ys game I have played (which I enjoyed for the gameplay), but I definitely think the story is worse in this game. I think it feels worse because this game is WAY too long (close to 40 hours). The writing is terrible (incredibly predictable story beats, generic characters, A TON of unnecessary dialogue). Cutscenes are way too frequent, so you will have to deal with the game constantly being interrupted by annoying cutscenes where characters point out obvious things that you already know. A good example: you see an unknown character in the distance, and a cutscene starts. Your party members say stuff like "that looks like a person" "maybe we should follow them?" Etc. The cutscene ends, and you take maybe ten steps forward and the next cutscene starts. Once again, you see somebody walking away in the distance (with an obnoxiously slow camera zooming in on them)...Your party members once again say stuff like "we should keep following them" "yeah, that's definitely a person, not a monster." What happens next? You take another 10 steps forward and another cutscene starts with your stupid party members repeating roughly the same dialogue over and over.

Tying into this, the pacing is garbage. The worst part is near the end of chapter 2 when you have to deal with 2 problems
a NPC who tries to leave the island, as well as finding a murderer who is hiding amongst your village.
The latter plot really adds nothing to the story, but the crappiest part is that you spend at least 2 hours having to deal with it. During the end of chapter 2 you are forced into interacting with your village members (and are unable to leave your base) in order to solve this easy "mystery." It isn't fun having cutscene after cutscene where characters repeat the same information over countless times. I don't know, I am not an idiot and don't need every single little thing regurgitated for me. Once chapter 2 finished I was once again excited to actually have control of my party and to go explore (where the game shines), but nope...Chapter 3 starts with another 30+ minutes of story. This is just one example, so far the game does its absolute best to constantly interrupt your when you're having fun. It's a shame because the gameplay is great, but the game constantly wants to hold your hand.

Celceta was a 8/10 game for me, but I would say Lacrimosa is a 6/10. Maybe lower.

hongcha

I understand your criticisms about some of the 'hand holding' and dialogue, though I didn't feel it was as disruptive to the experience as you clearly did. The Kiseki games have far more of this type of dialogue in them, so I guess you don't like those games either?

I can't relate to your characterization of the story as "awful". I completed Celceta four years ago but I remember almost nothing of the story, because it wasn't very memorable (I don't think it was awful though). In contrast, the story in Ys VIII will stick with me for a long time, mainly because of Dana - it is very fitting that her name is in the title!

Sorry you aren't enjoying it, but then again, no game is universally loved.

I understand your criticisms about some of the 'hand holding' and dialogue, though I didn't feel it was as disruptive to the experience as you clearly did. The Kiseki games have far more of this type of dialogue in them, so I guess you don't like those games either?

I can't relate to your characterization of the story as "awful". I completed Celceta four years ago but I remember almost nothing of the story, because it wasn't very memorable (I don't think it was awful though). In contrast, the story in Ys VIII will stick with me for a long time, mainly because of Dana - it is very fitting that her name is in the title!

You need to not do this sorta thing.

What made Ys great was that it filled a different niche from Kiseki, it was a tight and fast paced action RPG series. We shouldn't aspire for Falcom games to end up homogeneous.

kubricks

Just started the game, want to point out three things;
1) Why does this look so much better than Celceta? Are they even running on the same hardware?! It still plays on my Vita so I guess it is?
2) They addressed the major problem on Ys7 and Celceta... the dodge! Now it travels much less distance and a small delay between, no more spam dodge around the map!
3) I can jump... I CAN JUMP!!!

This is just great!!

Gu4n

I think the story is straight up awful, but like usual in most import threads, I guess I am in the minority with this opinion.
Not sure what you're implying here, but I really enjoy the story and setting so far. I find it very fascinating, even though it could be told better at times (the ten steps until a cutscene bit was just too much). Put in context of the rest of the franchise, Ys VIII's story is my favourite. And not just its story.

It still is, I'd even say 7/cel/8 are the fastest games

Yeah. The speed that comes from the vertical movement of Dashing/Rolling out paces any of the movement options in the Napishtim engine games. It's easier and more effective dash jumping from those games.

but I'm not sure he was talking about movement in regards to the games being "fast-paced" lol
I think the story is straight up awful, but like usual in most import threads, I guess I am in the minority with this opinion.

Actually I think you'd normally be in the majority. Probably the thing that has me the most excited is the lack of the typical "Why is Ys like Kiseki now?" complaints in the impressions of this title.

It seems like Ys 8 even satisfies the people that think Felghana and Origin are the only two good Ys games. For that alone I'm pretty pumped to play it.

omgfloofy

Banned
A good example: you see an unknown character in the distance, and a cutscene starts.

Did we play the same game? I mean. I ended up dodging the story for almost 3 hours during chapter 2. And again during chapters 3 and 4. The game had no problems with letting me run off and do my own thing instead of doing the plot. I honestly think that at least a third, or maybe more, of my playtime when I finished was just screwing around everywhere and doing my own thing.

Even when a character was saying, "we must hurry! let's go to [place]!"
I would be all, "How about.... no? let's just dick around and do some more mapping instead, huh? :D"

And you know? The game was fine with it. There are some points, like your spoiler marked point, when the game won't let you go anywhere- but you need to finish that part first. And there aren't that many times- trust me. I tested them. I actually broke the map barriers in an attempt to get to a treasure chest when I was told I had to go back. lol

The only time beyond that is for village defense. And even that is a huuuuge amount of leeway in terms of time frame. I finished a fairly large map area in chapter 3, and saw the following cutscene and the marker was still yellow. (More descriptive, but less vague spoilers)
It was the first part of Gens d'Armes, and I saved at the cabin. THEN I went back.

you'd normally be in the majority. Probably the thing that has me the most excited is the lack of the typical "Why is Ys like Kiseki now?" complaints in the impressions of this title.

I've actually seen a lot of people say this with Ys VIII anyway, just because 'it's an Ys game with a chapter structure.'

...but the structure makes sense in terms of the game itself.

I've written a thing on it that I've not published anywhere- and I stated that I think this is the first time a game in the series has really captured a way to make the player feel that intense wanderlust Adol must feel all the time. And it really is a game about adventuring, IMO.

Gu4n

Whereas I think the chapter structure in Kiseki brings expectations and anticipations, that's not the case for Ys VIII: it's just an Ys game which has segments of its adventures marked as chapters.

The speed that comes from the vertical movement of Dashing/Rolling out paces any of the movement options in the Napishtim engine games.
I hope you're right about this, because it's hard to match how fast you can zoom around using Godspeed in Ys Origin. Movement in Seven was great but not as quick and precise, which I didn't mind anyway.

Aters

Ok, between the opening of this game and Trails of Cold Steel, I genuinely believe Falcom want to adapt all the most cliche light novel tropes into their games.
Bump into a girl having shower and her towel accidentally drops?
That's like the only worthy rival of "accidentally fall on a girl and grab her boob". I'm not very familiar with the series though, maybe stuff like this is in the previous games too?

Action is smooth, and thank god that after the ship section the loading seems to improve a lot. AND JUMP! More verticality in map design is always a big plus for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, between the opening of this game and Trails of Cold Steel, I genuinely believe Falcom want to adapt all the most cliche light novel tropes into their games.
Bump into a girl having shower and her towel accidentally drops?
That's like the only worthy rival of "accidentally fall on a girl and grab her boob". I'm not very familiar with the series though, maybe stuff like this is in the previous games too?

Not really, no. It's just one of those directions Falcom is going to make Ys as generic of an RPG as possible to try to broaden its appeal.

Gu4n

Well, Adol in awkward situations with beautiful women is quite the running gag on its own -- Adol's existence in the Falcom Gakuen manga is almost entirely based around that joke. Plus with how expressive he is in Ys VIII, I take cliches for granted in favour of his painful face.

Not really, no. It's just one of those directions Falcom is going to make Ys as generic of an RPG as possible to try to broaden its appeal.

I have to wonder if these sorts of scenes are the result of Falcom intending to make their games more attractive to otaku consumers or the result of the developers and writers inside Falcom, particularly the younger ones, having been reared on a diet of manga/anime/LNs that have caused to them to expect and enjoy these sorts of moments themselves.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nothing new
4nBVN0S.jpg

yfSvXwR.png
Adol the
molester

Difference is you have to go out of your way and roleplay to get that scene with Feena at the Palace. The first meeting with Laxia on Isle of Seiren's forced. Maybe Falcom's writers feel they need to use cliche opening moments like this to sate their otaku audience while placing the better stuff deeper within. I really don't think Hisayoshi Takeiri would bother with a scene like this himself, either, nor Kondo.

Chances are some of this will happen in the Ys V remake too, but that game has enough history and unused ideas from ~1994 that the current Falcom need not bother writing new stuff.

I don't know. I think you're just letting your extreme aversion to such scenes lead you to seeing patterns where there aren't any.

I really just don't see there being any conspiratory effort on Falcom's part to manipulate this nebulous "otaku" audience into buying their games.

Because like others have said, this sort of thing has always been in their games. What's changed is their means to depict it.

and for the most part, the typical "Otaku" audience doesn't care and has never cared about Falcom games. Sort of evidenced by the series historic lack of fanart and licensed merchandise compared to games that do actively seek that audience.

I think they put in things like the Raxia scene, the Feena easter egg, the Olha bikini art, the Elena maid costume and the Yunica Schoolgirl outfit because people on the team just like that stuff.

I don't know. I think you're just letting your extreme aversion to such scenes lead you to seeing patterns where there aren't any.

I really just don't see there being any conspiratory effort on Falcom's part to manipulate this nebulous "otaku" audience into buying their games.

Because like others have said, this sort of thing has always been in their games. What's changed is their means to depict it.

and for the most part, the typical "Otaku" audience doesn't care and has never cared about Falcom games. Sort of evidenced by the series historic lack of fanart and licensed merchandise compared to games that do actively seek that audience.

I think they put in things like the Raxia scene, the Feena easter egg, the Olha bikini art, the Elena maid costume and the Yunica Schoolgirl outfit because people on the team just like that stuff.

And thank god for that. The difference between googling say, Persona and any Falcom property is night and day.

It's the sheer plummet in IQ with those parts is one of the three things that bug me. Like, at least be funny about it. Desplay some wit.

That, and don't let it conflict with characterization and there being less and less without it (Xanadu Next-level stuff)

Aversion? This sequence is fine, somewhat believable and funny (mainly Adol's reaction and the pacing). I'm more worried about needless repetition in the script than one or two moments like this which aren't the focus in Ys VIII.

Whether it's conspiratorial or obvious, Falcom's catering to a different audience now vs. their Windows PC days. I think otaku have always been their most profitable market, just not the main one they kept in mind when developing games. Sorcerian became a pillar for them not because everyone bought the 1987 original, but because fans kept buying and asking for more scenarios which Falcom contracted out to developers and, eventually, the fans themselves via Selected Sorcerian. (All of the extra scenarios were made mainly for PC-88, too, which indicates a platform bias. Falcom made PC-88 games up until 1992! They had PC-88 otaku and late adopters to worry about.) We're seeing a huge emphasis on Kiseki now which the Gagharv and original two Legend of Heroes games never had. There were series like Vantage Master (made for wargaming fans, otaku who bought from Koei, System Soft, and Kogado) and remakes like those for Sorcerian and Dinosaur in the early Windows days. Centering on Kiseki and using some of its elements in Ys to grab new players is a double-edged sword, but one that's paid off commercially. Tokyo Xanadu could become their cheap, reliable otaku series to ride out the end of the Vita's lifecycle for all we know.

None of this would matter if Falcom stabilizes their development schedule, expands the development team, and makes one smaller, well-priced multiplatform game every one or two years. They'd have room and reason to experiment on both Asian and Western audiences. Moving to PS4 and not relying on a concentrated Vita install base will force them to change at some level, unless NX becomes a surrogate for the Japanese Vita market and Falcom jumps to it.

Either that or the doujin works simply haven't been scanned, documented, and made available outside of interpersonal/market sale, auctions, &c. There's an odd lack of Falcom hentai relative to what other Japanese (console) developers' IPs get. Maybe the people who normally commission doujinshi neglect Falcom works in favor of others. There's plenty of works coming out for Sen no Kiseki, so the trend's changing. Falcom's licensed their IPs out to a few figurine companies in the past—promo deals meant to push sales for a game (Ys VI had a lot of this)—but it's hard to track it all down. At least you can get lotsa doujin albums with Falcom remixes on them.

They definitely like that stuff and always have. Just saying, you can't avoid the Laxia scene. I'm not peeved, but it points to Falcom changing their stance on how they present fanservice within games. Getting Yunica's outfit, seeing Olha in a bikini, unlocking Elena's costumes (even in the graphics config menu)...those actually take effort and a hint on how to get them. Receiving fanservice moments regardless of skill accommodates for new players better, along with DLC you can buy right away.

That, and don't let it conflict with characterization and there being less and less without it (Xanadu Next-level stuff)
Xananext's a prime example of how Falcom should write their action adventures, if a little short on character development and worldbuilding. Takeiri and Kondo, even when writing straightforward tropes, went the extra mile to imply and/or instill nuance which game scripts like Ys Origin and Trails in the Sky SC benefit from. I think they'd find a more interesting way to introduce Laxia than playing the trope straight like Ys VIII does (admittedly it has some metatext with Adol looking away in shame like this even matters to him...still not too interesting).

Top Bottom