• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Between a screw up with my limited edition, Hurricane Irma, and traveling up to Minnesota for my father's cancer surgery. I can finally start on Ys VIII. I'd planned on Day one, but what are ya gonna do.

I've kept pretty far away from any plot details, and have just started, still in the prologue but a couple of quick notes:

Adol and Dogi, still the OTP of Ys.

Dogi's new look is really kinda off-putting though. I don't mind the beard, but his light blue hair that is no longer curly at all is just odd. If you didn't actively tell me that was Dogi I wouldn't have believed it. In fact every time I saw a screen with him i assumed it was a new character.

Even early on, the translation is stilted. No life to it at all. Hope it gets better.

Also didn't realize that this takes place before Ys 6. That's an odd placement IMO, as Ys 6 seemed to fit in more or less directly after 5, wasn't Adol hanging with Terra and her father because of the events of Kefin? Or am I misremembering?

Anyhow, back to the game.
The translation isn't great, but honestly, even with the added story focus, Ys games aren't really about the narrative and characters. If there is one series I can look past a mediocre localization for, it's Ys. Still such an enjoyable game.

The translation isn't great, but honestly, even with the added story focus, Ys games aren't really about the narrative and characters. If there is one series I can look past a mediocre localization for, it's Ys. Still such an enjoyable game.

I agree, also I played with JP VA and it was great. Not sure if that would help anyone else.

TheFatMan

So the quests that appear on the board....

They say "Long" and "Mid" and such....is that how long I have left until the quest disappears or?

I'm confused.

Loudninja

So the quests that appear on the board....

They say "Long" and "Mid" and such....is that how long I have left until the quest disappears or?

I'm confused.
Short duration quest must be done before the next story objective.
Mid duration quest usually last near the end of the chapter.
Long duration quest last till the end of the game.

Yep.

silva1991

I love how Hummel just
cuts to the chase and join the party just like that without much build up

More of that pleas.

Edit: do standby characters get less XP?

duckroll

I mean yeah it's a silly mistake but come on...

It's hardly game breaking....

Yeah who cares if the localization is a mess? Who cares if the words coming out of the characters' mouths have no relation to what is happening in the scene? It's not game breaking. Give NISA a break. It's not like they are professionals charging money for a product. Right? Who cares about story or dialogue logic in a Falcom game? Let's all just jump into a BIG HOLE!

35 hours in. This is everything I've ever wanted from a Japanese action RPG. This music is something else.

The graphics are so clean on a PS4 Pro in 4K.

Having the time of my life. Haven't invested this much time into a single game since Breath of the Wild. Will continue until I finish this, which I can't say about very many games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm just about to reach that part in the game. How do you mess that up? It's like they didn't play the game with the audio on.
Even better there is a scene before that one where laxia has like 2 full lines of dialog in text and it gets cut off after like 3 words with auto progress on. That entire segment was fucking weirdly half assed compared to other stuff I've seen so far
I mean yeah it's a silly mistake but come on...

It's hardly game breaking....
Game breaking no its not. But it's not the quality I expect for a 60 dollar title. Thankfully I know what's under the hood in the gameplay side of things and the dub cast feels like they tried despite some obvious bad directing in some parts, but I enjoy their performances

Like this is still most likely going to be my game of the year, but it's just depressing that silly issues like that hurt it's public image a bit when this is the first big high effort Ys game on consoles from Falcom in forever

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Btw best shit ever is having a stuffed pikkard on adol's arm the whole game, it's face of pure terror makes for some hilarious scenes. SPECIALLY during the campfire scenes where it's just endlessly looking into the flames with a face of dispair

Best early game decision I ever made

Jolkien

Near the end of Chapter 2 I guess ?
I hope Carlan is dead. Useless prick. But it's not my first jRPG so I assume he'll come back scratch free.

Can't believe how manageable Nightmare is. I might be able to do it :)

Aeana

I have determined that the hardest boss in the game is the final "boss fish" in the list. Je-sus. Doing this without a turbo controller sure is going to be interesting. First and only fish that has ever given me trouble.

preta

I have determined that the hardest boss in the game is the final "boss fish" in the list. Je-sus. Doing this without a turbo controller sure is going to be interesting. First and only fish that has ever given me trouble.

Surely you can't be referring to
Cielakantus/Sierracantos
? I thought that was one of the easiest bosses in the game by far. I can't really think of what else you could be referring to, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Chapter 4 and ys series spoiler

Lol fished up a fucking god damn skelly, and OF COURSE I CAN'T KILL IT WITH OUT SOMETHING SPECIAL AGAIN THANKS YS... well at least that gave me a hint that shit is going to hit the fan most likely soon

Aeana

Seriously though, NISA needs to never touch a Falcom game again.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/176543515

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/176544107

Like how do you even fuck something up like this

For the record, I don't remember the first one happening to me and I literally just went through the scene in the second video and it definitely did not happen.

Here's a video of the first scene from someone else's playthrough and it doesn't have it either: https://youtu.be/3TCXp3ZwEH8?t=703

What's going on?

Aeana

Surely you can't be referring to
Cielakantus/Sierracantos
? I thought that was one of the easiest bosses in the game by far. I can't really think of what else you could be referring to, though.

I'm talking about the fishing minigame. Whatever the final "boss" fish at the very bottom of the fishing log is, underneath bulldart. I don't know its name yet because I haven't caught it yet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
For the record, I don't remember the first one happening to me and I literally just went through the scene in the second video and it definitely did not happen.

Here's a video of the first scene from someone else's playthrough and it doesn't have it either: https://youtu.be/3TCXp3ZwEH8?t=703

What's going on?
He doesn't have it on auto so he's hitting x to progress the dialog soon as the first line is said, the repeated line happens when it lingers most likely because they didn't clip it off. The cutscene should be in the gallery right? I can double check it

Edit: nvm preta caught it in the vid *volume was low on my phone so didn't catch it

preta

What's going on?

If you listen closely, you can hear that it does start to play, the player just advances the text before the second line is actually spoken. You can hear the breath, which flows naturally into the second line.

I'm talking about the fishing minigame. Whatever the final "boss" fish at the very bottom of the fishing log is, underneath bulldart. I don't know its name yet because I haven't caught it yet.

Ah, I see, I didn't bother to fish everything up in my JP playthrough.

Also didn't realize that this takes place before Ys 6. That's an odd placement IMO, as Ys 6 seemed to fit in more or less directly after 5, wasn't Adol hanging with Terra and her father because of the events of Kefin? Or am I misremembering?

There's actually a 3 year gap between Ys V and VI. Adol only reunited with Terra a short while before arriving in Canaan.

It's actually sort of the series equivalent to the MGS3-MGS1 gap. I kinda expect them to keep expanding and filling it since by Seven Adol has kinda reached max JRPG protagonist age at 23/24 lol.

preta

There's actually a 3 year gap between Ys V and VI. Adol only reunited with Terra a short while before arriving in Canaan.

It's actually sort of the series equivalent to the MGS3-MGS1 gap. I kinda expect them to keep expanding and filling it since by Seven Adol has kinda reached max JRPG protagonist age at 23/24 lol.

Well, Kondo did say he was considering making a game of Adol's last adventure, his voyage to the North Pole at the age of ~63, which definitely was very surprising to me.

The big impediment to a game about Adol's final moments would be convincing Japanese/East Asian players to put themselves in the shoes of an old, worn-down hero. Maybe that appeals more to players in English-speaking countries, but that's not Falcom's main market and Kondo knows this.

preta

The big impediment to a game about Adol's final moments would be convincing Japanese/East Asian players to put themselves in the shoes of an old, worn-down hero. Maybe that appeals more to players in English-speaking countries, but that's not Falcom's main market and Kondo knows this.

That's exactly why I was so surprised to hear he was even considering the idea.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's pretty hilarious when you think how strong he actually is by the end of seven looking at his accomplishments,
that roda tree knew wtf was up when it met him in the original games :D

Mr.Jeff

Found a video of someone fishing up the fish in question

https://youtu.be/DIW8vcVQRFk

As you can see, it's considerably crazier than any other fish.
I didn't find it all that difficult? However, I think I either used Adol or Sahad so perhaps try a different character?

There's another one later in the last night time mission that was doing exactly what was in that video but I tried different characters and the speed of the button prompts changes even without any accessories.

Edit: Some other useful advice for people. If you're leaving the interceptor missions, go back later when you're higher level as some of them give SP increase drops as S rank rewards.

I've found my interest started to wane in the game around chapters 3 and 4, I'm currently on chapter 5 so I hope things pick up, but the pacing fell flat on its face in chapter 4, and the level design has taken a backseat.

Things were more fun and involving when you were exploring an interconnected world, but these parts of the game have mostly led you on linear paths around isolated areas from the rest of the main map that you were uncovering.

While the boss fights are still excellent you could also argue that the core combat doesn't get any more deep or challenging - everything scales up around you as you progress and the enemy "tells" for engaging a flash move or flash guard don't get any more complex or (arguably) interesting. I haven't really met any new enemies that take me outside of my comfort zone, though the game has thrown several tough enemies at you in tight or closed spaces which is nice.

You guys are quick to catch up. I think I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and my interest also waned due to the pacing of that chapter. Hopefully is just to set up for big things to come.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You guys are quick to catch up. I think I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and my interest also waned due to the pacing of that chapter. Hopefully is just to set up for big things to come.

At one point when it pauses to show a 3 second cutscene like 8 times back to back was really annoying, doubly annoying when it freaking interrupts the idle chit chat between characters when exploring, like they start a sentance scene starts ends sentence is cut off other character starts boom another cutscene like wtf? Other than that I enjoyed the chapter for what it was :D

Phew, finally done for the night. Didn't expect that I'd actually play for almost 9 hours today lol. Part way through chapter 4 now but unlike a few of the posts above this is the part where I'm really just getting into the game fully, story-wise at least. The lackluster story and characters up to this point is what's mainly been keeping me from getting super invested in the game so far.

Hopefully I should have this done by the time my copy of Danganronpa V3 arrives, which I should definitely have done by the time Blue Reflection arrives as well.

Btw best shit ever is having a stuffed pikkard on adol's arm the whole game, it's face of pure terror makes for some hilarious scenes. SPECIALLY during the campfire scenes where it's just endlessly looking into the flames with a face of dispair

Best early game decision I ever made
I decided to give the pikkard to Hummel which is hilarious when he's trying to act cool and edgy but that thing is latched onto his arm.

Speaking of Hummel, I nearly lost my shit when
his client and delivery were revealed.
And that kind of goes along with my issues with the characters and story, so far aside from Laxia it feels like everyone else is there just to give us more characters to play as. In her case, even though she does have a minor character arc and development, she mainly seems like a mouthpiece for exposition and such because Adol is a silent protagonist.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yes, that was mostly it. I like where the game is going storywise. Except for the reveal of
Hummel's reasons to come to the island
that I thought it was underwhelming, I like the rest so far.

Speaking of Hummel, I nearly lost my shit when
his client and delivery were revealed.

I literally just repeated to myself for like 1 1/2 minutes how fucking stupid he is *not that plot device that shit is funny but how actually stupid the character is* Like he has this cool mysterious dude persona the whole time then you find out he's actually an idiot when it comes to his work, his gift thing is pretty funny too for lack of common sense reasons

Thud

Chapter 4 and ys series spoiler

Lol fished up a fucking god damn skelly, and OF COURSE I CAN'T KILL IT WITH OUT SOMETHING SPECIAL AGAIN THANKS YS... well at least that gave me a hint that shit is going to hit the fan most likely soon

Haha same!

I think it's one of the pirates.

Thud

Near the end of Chapter 2 I guess ?
I hope Carlan is dead. Useless prick. But it's not my first jRPG so I assume he'll come back scratch free.

Can't believe how manageable Nightmare is. I might be able to do it :)

After you beat the
spider boss
the game gets a bit easier. Well until you get to the end of chapter 3.

Top Bottom