• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Do we know who is behind Sound Team jdk this time?
There is a couple of tracks that sound 100% kiseki-like (the one that starts as you approach the city, for instance)

silva1991

Characters
walking and running in that water
dungeon is kinda silly.

So you guys putting your team on Evasion or Active (or whatever it's called) mode? I think I personally prefer Evasion since it provides a purer form of combat.

Active most of the time. Evasion in some situations such as near hornets nests.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
At Chapter 4 now, and I'm surprised how
little Dana has been in the game. Aren't there only 5 chapters? She was sold as a secondary protagonist, but she's been playable only a handful of times, and only one of those times was she put in a field where she could explore and fight. I really like her story - I'm a sucker for those ancient civilization vibes (love them in every piece of media I come across - Sonic Adventure's ancient echidnas, Zanarkand in FFX, Skypiea/Shandora in One Piece, etc. etc.) so I'm kind of upset the Dana segments have been so sporadic. I do loathe her outfit and wish there was a DLC replacement, though.

Ricotta is nowhere near as annoying as I expected her to be. I was expecting generic cutesy third-person reference to self anime girl, but she's actually a pretty decent, inoffensive character. Falcom has a way of dressing up its tropes with good writing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Chapter 5 spoiler post Third boss
3074767-4100077591-

Jolkien

I can't find the last chest in (Chapter 4 zone spoiler)
Titisu Primeval Forest, I scoured the full map a few times and I just can't find it. Anybody ran into this ?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nah. The boss I'm on has 2 phases. The first took me forever to beat and if I exit it out of the second phase now, I'll have to suffer through that again.

Ah cant wait then :D
I can't find the last chest in (Chapter 4 zone spoiler)
Titisu Primeval Forest, I scoured the full map a few times and I just can't find it. Anybody ran into this ?
Keep progressing there is a reason for that

Do we know who is behind Sound Team jdk this time?
There is a couple of tracks that sound 100% kiseki-like (the one that starts as you approach the city, for instance)
Hayato Sonoda and Takahiro Unisuga wrote most of the music since they're the main two people (and only credited musicians) forming Sound Team jdk. Me and a few other fans suspect that Mitsuo Singa, who's credited for arranging several tracks (and most of the PS4-/PC-exclusive music), is now part of Sound Team jdk as a composer/arranger, and he arranged tracks like Red Line, Iclucian Dance, and the final boss themes.

Chapter 5 sidequests questions:

I did Kuina quest, and I noticed that her second memo was filled in the journal, but not the first. Did I miss it at some moment?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I did Kuina quest, and I noticed that her second memo was filled in the journal, but not the first. Did I miss it at some moment?

Same here so I'm gonna assume this is normal :p

Streaming some more of my Inferno no recovery items blind run, just got done with the 4th Chapter 5 boss

Also that freaking 1/2 sp cost accessory on Sahad is so god damn abusable his 40 sp aoe as a 20 sp move is hilariously way too good for progressing through zones

Same here so I'm gonna assume this is normal :p

Good. If I miss something after my routine of coming back to the village every time I make small progress I will have a heart attack.

Edit: Npc chapter 5 minor spoilers.
Jeez finally they realized Alison is pregnant

It was the same with me, but I just finished the game and managed to get the trophy for filing in all the memos.

reposting my question since it's a new page :

i have a question! I'm playing on nightmare...

Does it have an impact on your luck for getting materials? I have an item equipped for having more luck to get rare item, and an item to get more on the loot points....

but even with that, every fucking time, even on the more rare loot points in the last regions, i get the shitty material from the beginning almost everytime, this is really pissing me off! Same for killing monsters

Also yeah, NISA better fucking not touch sen no kiseki 3 (trails of cold steel 3)

Thud

Does it have an impact on your luck for getting materials? I have an item equipped for having more luck to get rare item, and an item to get more on the loot points....

but even with that, every fucking time, even on the more rare loot points in the last regions, i get the shitty material from the beginning almost everytime, this is really pissing me off! Same for killing monsters

Also yeah, NISA better fucking not touch sen no kiseki 3 (trails of cold steel 3)

Do you use the character with that equipment to farm those materials?

I got plently of rare materials on Nightmare.

I get a lot of rare items also in nightmare and without using the character that has the equipped item in question, only having him/her in the active party.

It also seems that you don't need to be using the character that has equipped the items to add extra time to flash guard/move, you only need to have the character in the active party.

"Damn can't believe I s ranked this, wait what hero cloak...." *sees the effect* Holy shit

Need more info :p

I get a lot of rare items also in nightmare and without using the character that has the equipped item in question, only having him/her in the active party.

It also seems that you don't need to be using the character that has equipped the items to add extra time to flash guard/move, you only need to have the character in the active party.

Need more info :p

Really nice if it's true, it would free some space for adol! But man i must have shitty luck, i have these item on him and always playing with him, and never get anything rare, only the shitty stuff (i get them sometimes, but really not enough)

EDIT : i read that it works only with the character that have the item equipped, the item that modify flash guard and flash move works on everyone since you can change character during these and it stays

"Damn can't believe I s ranked this, wait what hero cloak...." *sees the effect* Holy shit

got it a little bit earlier, it's amazing

EDIT : i read that it works only with the character that have the item equipped, the item that modify flash guard and flash move works on everyone since you can change character during these and it stays

Yes, I was also looking for clarification and read the same. I must be really lucky then, or I just don't realize since I change between characters so much.

Haha yeah. I also missed Hummel's second one.

Damm, now I think I missed this one
I just did his sidequest on chapter 5 and it filled his third memo.

Thud

I still miss the skill finish trophy, but almost there last time I checked.

Just beat one of the chapter 5 bosses:
the golem with the freeze attacks

Just monsters overall I believe if it doesn't cap at 100 then roughly 25 monsters = 1 stat

I just looked into how it works.
It depends on monster killed and distance traveled, and like you said it stacks up to 100. I have 4600+ monsters killed and 393km traveled so I can't wait to try it.

There's another one that works similar, with
reputation being the main factor.

I still miss the skill finish trophy, but almost there last time I checked.

Just beat one of the chapter 5 bosses:
the golem with the freeze attacks

Really? I've got it really early! I'm abusing them, since it does a lot of damage and skill finish let you get back the blue bar for skills, and then doing them again!

Just monsters overall I believe if it doesn't cap at 100 then roughly 25 monsters = 1 stat

I just looked into how it works.
It depends on monster killed and distance traveled, and like you said it stacks up to 100. I have 4600+ monsters killed and 393km traveled so I can't wait to try it.

There's another one that works similar, with
reputation being the main factor.

It stops at 100 for both Atk and Def, i have the same for all three characters and it doesn't go higher

^Yes I also got it early. I've using skills a lot from the begining since it also should be another trophy for getting all skills up to max level.

^Yes I also got it early. I've using skills a lot from the begining since it also should be another trophy for getting all skills up to max level.

there's a quick way to do it, equip the accessory that add + 3 xp for skills, then go to these wasp nest, and spam them here (even better if you have the accessory that make skills cost half), you'll get a skill to the max level in like 2-3 minutes!

But i'll probably never do the platinum, too much trophy that are just waste of time rather than real challenge... like for fuck sake, the trophies were you need to travel a lot with one character... i've got only one with adol, i tried to get the next one with laxia, and i swear i've been running between places with her for at least 10 hours and still nothing!

I'll be okay with the nightmare trophy and the secret boss

Saphirax

there's a quick way to do it, equip the accessory that add + 3 xp for skills, then go to these wasp nest, and spam them here (even better if you have the accessory that make skills cost half), you'll get a skill to the max level in like 2-3 minutes!

But i'll probably never do the platinum, too much trophy that are just waste of time rather than real challenge... like for fuck sake, the trophies were you need to travel a lot with one character... i've got only one with adol, i tried to get the next one with laxia, and i swear i've been running between places with her for at least 10 hours and still nothing!

I'll be okay with the nightmare trophy and the secret boss

If you switch characters those trophies are easy. I’m 46 hours in and I have all six of them.

If you switch characters those trophies are easy. I’m 46 hours in and I have all six of them.

like i said, i've been running with laxia all the time and i still didn't get it, i'm at 32 hours...

and there's characters like hummel that i never play, no way i'll waste my time running around just to get these

Jolkien

like i said, i've been running with laxia all the time and i still didn't get it, i'm at 32 hours...

and there's characters like hummel that i never play, no way i'll waste my time running around just to get these

Worse case you can leave you game running, when you come back you need to move the character a bit to pop the trophy if you went over the required time. I got Hummel that way last night, popped when I woke up

eh... never cared about trophies so i won't let my console running just for that

i only have two platinium for a reason... i always aim for the hard trophies, that's enough to please me

Is Seven the first "modern" Ys game? Party system, dodge button, what other differences are there between Ys Seven, VIII, and the older games?
Seven introduced switching characters and dodging to replace sword/magic swaps (adding more combat emphasis, which the dungeons account for with new puzzles/mechanics) and jump evasion. This really affects how large play areas in these games get vs. the mid-2000s games, since Seven in particular has these large dungeons with wide avenues and clearings for battle so you aren't feeling constricted when dodging. Also new in Seven were EX attacks, Flash Guard (then Flash Dodge in Celceta), more varied item use during combat, synthesizing items/equipment in more detail, and a longer main story in general.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Chapter 5 dumb moment
Oh no we are stuck........ you are on a boat, you are all super human fighters just jump off the thing land is like 2 feet away

(Chapter 5 spoilers)

It's really weird to have
two skillsets for Dana, I already have maxed the one in the present era and have learnt new abilties. Was a bit disappointed to learn that the progress doesn't carry out for the past era.

Thud

I had a bit of trouble with one of the bosses, so it was back to exploring with
double jump
. Stumbled on a whole new area with a cave and all. The enemies respawn regularly, so I gained a few levels hehe.

Only battle trophy left is the extra skill one. About 2/3 on the way.

Top Bottom