• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: NISA apologies for localisation, will be patched in November

Nyoro SF

Well judging by the YsVIII and Tokyo Xanadu releases, there are indeed fewer Falcom games coming out in English. There are more games being released outside of Japan though, that much is true. 🤷*♂️

Damn.

Yeah, regardless of your personal feelings towards XSEED, I think a slower drip of a good standard release is much better.

Shizuka

Even though XSEED does great work, there's no way they can handle releasing every Falcom game. We need at least one other party doing good work with Falcom. XSEED being the only viable partner would result in fewer games coming out in English, more slowly.

Hmm, I wonder. Who could it be other than Aksys and NIS America? Atlus USA? PQube? Not like there are many other options.

Without knowing the context... could they have meant swallowed like Jonah?
Thats exactly what they meant, Aksys added a biblical reference I the translation that wasn't in the Japanese, and fucked up the reference

Nothing wrong with adding a reference like that of course, I just wanted to have that context to how they fucked it up
Hmm, I wonder. Who could it be other than Aksys and NIS America? Atlus USA? PQube? Not like there are many other options.
I'd love to see 8-4 branch out into publishing. They are the only ones other than xseed that truly understand English conversational flow and readability at a high quality level

sonicmj1

So you read the original Japanese and that’s exactly what this is? Or are you just pulling that out of your ass? It doesn’t seem like that to me. Like I said, to me it sounds like she starts to give her full name, pauses, decides against it, and says to just call her by her first name.

Maybe this is just a bad translation to people who know a little bit of Japanese (possibly from watching lots of anime) and make lots of assumptions based on that, or thinking it sounds “too Japanese”?

I found a Youtube clip from the Japanese version, from which I have excerpted the relevant screenshot:

Ikm9I5D.png

I think it's kind of tough for me to tell exactly what they were going for seeing the dialogue and her character out of context, but translating 「と申します」as "Please call me..." seems like an even harsher editing fail than I'd expected here. I don't think she's asking for any unusual treatment (watching to the next cutscene, another character calls her "Alison-san"), she's just telling them her name.

Linkura

A bad localization from NISA???? No way!

Pretty much this. I haven't trusted them with this shit ever since they omitted an entire section of Rhapsody DS for the localization and didn't tell anyone. When people figured it out after it was released, they didn't give a shit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Archeozoic Big Hole.

On the one hand, that is hilarious in its awfulness.
On the other hand, Archeozoic Big Hole.

Amirnol

Damn, too bad I just finished the game last night. Great game with the worst translation I've ever seen. Good to know they are acknowledging it, this title deserves way better.

Oh wow didn't expect them to do this, great news!

Think I'll continue the game when the patch is out then. Normally not very sensitive to bad translations but this one is reeeaaallly bad.

Man, I honestly feel out for blood today. This news really tickles the Streisand effect!

Even though XSEED does great work, there's no way they can handle releasing every Falcom game. We need at least one other party doing good work with Falcom. XSEED being the only viable partner would result in fewer games coming out in English, more slowly.
I definitely agree. For now, though, it's clear NISA tried to pull a long con with Ys VIII and future Falcom projects, and Aksys meanwhile struggled with Tokyo Xanadu (though at least they tried to edit it all...maybe they'll get the main script fixed up for the PC/PS4 release and turn their ship upward).

Idea Factory International could do the trick, if they're interested. They have marketing experience and confidence like NISA, but also more consistent localizations overall. I'm open to Falcom just making their own English loc branch if things get dire, too.

mothball

Ah yes, NISA. As I play through Danganronpa V3 I've been keeping track of the various translation errors I've caught. Not eye-rolling localization changes and the like, but places where the English is completely made up and has no relation to the Japanese line at all, or where they missed an alternative (yet still common) definition of a word and botched a line because of it.

I wonder how many undetectable mistakes are hiding in unvoiced lines.

BTA

Mistranslations all over the place, bad typesetting, and probably the worst dub in the series because they reused the pool of actors from the other games instead of picking actors specifically for the parts. It's not awful or anything, but it's definitely lackluster.

I think V3's problems are a little harder to see because they're the type of thing you don't really notice unless you know what you're missing. Or at least that's my perception from people talking about the issues on Twitter. Same with DR2. So it comes across decently when you're playing because you don't understand that there's mistranslation and mischaracterization going on. It's something I'd like to dig into more now that I'm done it, since it does seem like they messed with the characterization a decent amount for some characters.

Speaking of which, this is maybe the biggest sign that V3's translation has issues and was rushed to meet the deadline: the translation used 4 translator + editor teams, splitting their work by characters.

ZoddGutts

I fear of the thought at NISA getting Cold Steel III. I'll take waiting two years for XSeed's translation effort over NISA mediocre translation effort like in most of their games. Also heard that NISA PC port of Ys 8 is trash who under NDA over at another forum.

StereoVsn

Well, at least they are admitting the issue and not trying to brush it under the table like Bamco or even Atlus with P5. Hopefully this bodes well for Ys VIII PC release come November.

I do wonder what the heck is going on with Xanadu. At this rate it will be released around same time as Xenoblade 2 which will make it a tough sell.

Ouroboros

Am I the only one kind of skimming through the story? I love Ys gameplay mechanics but the stories always leave me wanting more.

Also Xseed is probably very upset since they had such care for falcom games when localizing them. Shame.

Kudos for the apology. Accepted with grace.

Now if only Aksys apologized in the same manner for the mess they made out of Tokyo Xanadu and patch improved localization too...

At this point, I am not double dipping with the PS4 version if its the same localization.

Thoraxes

Guess it pays off to have skipped it at launch thanks to the PC version delay.

Hopefully it turns out for the best, because that's what Falcom games deserve.
Kudos for the apology. Accepted with grace.

Now if only Aksys apologized in the same manner for the mess that made out of Tokyo Xanadu and patch improved localization too...

At this point, I am not double dipping with the PS4 version if its the same localization.
I'm aware of the credits thing, but what other major issues like Ys8 did TX have? I stopped about a little before halfway on Vita to just wait for the PC version, but I can't recall anything as glaring or consistent as what I've seen from Ys8, outside of usual infrequent typos you see in most localizations. (or maybe they weren't as memorable as BIG HOLE lol)

MilkBeard

Too bad we can't have several XSeeDs to go around. Trails' translation is pretty good.

Hopefully they fix their shit here, although some of those names are comedy gold.

Gestahl

I found a Youtube clip from the Japanese version, from which I have excerpted the relevant screenshot:

Ikm9I5D.png

I think it's kind of tough for me to tell exactly what they were going for seeing the dialogue and her character out of context, but translating 「と申します」as "Please call me..." seems like an even harsher editing fail than I'd expected here. I don't think she's asking for any unusual treatment (watching to the next cutscene, another character calls her "Alison-san"), she's just telling them her name.

To me she either sounds like one of those demure female characters who has to pause every other breath (so she winds up repeating her name) or she's hesitant or unsure of what she should call herself (perhaps having something to hide).

wrowa

Too bad we can't have several XSeeDs to go around. Trails' translation is pretty good.

Hopefully they fix their shit here, although some of those names are comedy gold.

Ys used to be one of the better selling games XSEED published, so I don’t think we’d have needed a second XSEED for Ys 8. The one we have would have already been enough - I imagine it was a dark day at XSEED when they lost Ys 8 to NISA.

preta

I'm aware of the credits thing, but what other major issues like Ys8 did TX have? I stopped about a little before halfway on Vita to just wait for the PC version, but I can't recall anything as glaring or consistent as what I've seen from Ys8, outside of usual infrequent typos you see in most localizations. (or maybe they weren't as memorable as BIG HOLE lol)

TX's translation's main problem is its inconsistency. Proper terms, area names, and even character names are frequently translated multiple different ways and used interchangeably. (And sometimes these translations are flat-out wrong.) In the same vein, they also screw up a name that's part of a Cold Steel 2 reference and misromanize the name of Falcom's mascot.

It does feel like they at least tried with the editing, though, unlike NISA. If Aksys doesn't fix the issues for eX+, they'll be a lot easier for fans to fix in a timely manner (in the PC version) than Ys 8's script.

asagami_

Banned
Ys used to be one of the better selling games XSEED published, so I don’t think we’d have needed a second XSEED for Ys 8. The one we have would have already been enough - I imagine it was a dark day at XSEED when they lost Ys 8 to NISA.

Probably the Ys 8 PC port was the reason why NISA got the licence... which is funny because XSEED is working so hard to bring the Cold Steel games to PC, something it will be rewarded when Cold Steel 3 is announced in the west.

Earth

Banned
Someone needs to preserve the original translation so we can mod it on PC in future, since the PC port will supposedly never have it.

Eila

Wonder if they will offer anything to people that pre-ordered the PC version. I'd take Ys III emulated or something.

Eusis

Someone needs to preserve the original translation so we can mod it on PC in future, since the PC port will supposedly never have it.
Big Hole isn't THAT hard to remember.

And more seriously they can probably sift through data on the PS4 disc or the Vita cart, so that will always be out there.

preta

Don't worry, it's already preserved... if you really want it...

Don't forget that although the official release was delayed, the beta still happened/is happening.

Vamphuntr

PC release had a beta with the current translation. It was running poorly with glitches and crashed so NISA postponed the official release to work on it. Pirates already leaked the beta.

Well judging by the YsVIII and Tokyo Xanadu releases, there are indeed fewer Falcom games coming out in English. There are more games being released outside of Japan though, that much is true. 🤷*♂️

I feel ashamed this took me so long to understand the joke :[

Mistranslations all over the place, bad typesetting, and probably the worst dub in the series because they reused the pool of actors from the other games instead of picking actors specifically for the parts. It's not awful or anything, but it's definitely lackluster.

Ah.

Yeah. Didn't really notice that stuff. The game itself was a great experience so that was good enough for me.

Zafir

Nice they've acknowledged it and plan on fixing it I guess.

Despite owning it since launch I still haven't finished it, I think I'm on Chapter 4 or something. Can't say the localisation bothered me that much, it didn't bother me in Persona 5 either though. To be honest I usually find it quite amusing. xD

BTA

Ah.

Yeah. Didn't really notice that stuff. The game itself was a great experience so that was good enough for me.

Right, which is why we don't get better localizations.

There are problems, and in some ways we played a different game than the Japanese version. But because we accept it, it doesn't improve. I'm not really sure what the alternative is, and I did enjoy the game myself, but... I'm still annoyed just as I was with Persona 5.

Thoraxes

TX's translation's main problem is its inconsistency. Proper terms, area names, and even character names are frequently translated multiple different ways and used interchangeably. (And sometimes these translations are flat-out wrong.) In the same vein, they also screw up a name that's part of a Cold Steel 2 reference and misromanize the name of Falcom's mascot.

It does feel like they at least tried with the editing, though, unlike NISA. If Aksys doesn't fix the issues for eX+, they'll be a lot easier for fans to fix in a timely manner (in the PC version) than Ys 8's script.
Ah, got it and thanks for the response! Guess I didn't play enough either (I checked where I really was and it was not as far as I thought).

But yeah, hopefully they take the time to make that right with the release, hopefully still later this year.

I was really enjoying all of the NPC dialogue by the time I stopped.

Right, which is why we don't get better localizations.

There are problems, and in some ways we played a different game than the Japanese version. But because we accept it, it doesn't improve. I'm not really sure what the alternative is, and I did enjoy the game myself, but... I'm still annoyed just as I was with Persona 5.

So wait. You're blaming the fact that we don't get better localisations on the fact that I (and others, presumably) end up enjoying the game regardless of a few translation issues?

Lol. No.

Maybe I'm just someone who looks on the bright side. At least we *get* localisations for these games. I've been totally crushed in situations where games in my favourite series (you can guess by my avatar) haven't been localized at all. So yeah, I'd rather play a really great game with a some translation issues than not play at all.

And I'll reiterate again. Looking at those images in the OP, some of those translations are hilarious. they make the game even more amusing for me, and i'm entitled to that opinion. :) If something like this makes the game unplayable for you, then don't play it. Plain and simple.

I'm aware of the credits thing, but what other major issues like Ys8 did TX have? I stopped about a little before halfway on Vita to just wait for the PC version, but I can't recall anything as glaring or consistent as what I've seen from Ys8, outside of usual infrequent typos you see in most localizations. (or maybe they weren't as memorable as BIG HOLE lol

I finished it and imo I saw way more spaces, missing letters and other grammatical mistakes that irked me a lot more than I thought

I finished YS VIII as well and honestly it sounds like the biggest issue people had is with the translation of the enemies which TX handled well (I think?)

XSEED>NISA>Aksys

I really want to get TX PS4 but not with that shoddy translation

preta

I finished it and imo I saw way more spaces, missing letters and other grammatical mistakes that irked me a lot more than I thought

I finished YS VIII and honestly it sounds like the biggest issue people had is with the translation of the enemies which TX handled well (I think?)

XSeed>NISA>Aksys

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea - Ys 8's biggest issue by far is the overall low quality of dialogue, owing to overly literal translation and a lack of editing.

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea - Ys 8's biggest issue by far is the overall low quality of dialogue, owing to overly literal translation and a lack of editing.

Maybe I didn't pay much attention because as opposed to LoH series, Ys was never about the story so it didnt jump at me.

TX on the other hand has about as much dialogue as LoH so I noticed lots of these mistakes.

Curious. Which game you think came out worse - Ys VIII or TX?

aadiboy

At least they're trying to fix their translation mistakes on all versions including Vita. Bandai Namco, on the other hand, never fixed their terrible Google translation for SAO on Vita.

Top Bottom