• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

Fj0823

So what are the top decks now, I stopped playing around when dark destroyer got hit I think.

Zoodiacs

But the game is about to receive a MAJOR change this year.

Check the first posts on the last page for details.

I would advise holding a bit before building a deck

No but I agree, losing the 2 free zones is a good enough nerf for pendulum.

As a Dinomist player the smaller spell zone is gonna suck a lot and it's not like they were even that good of deck anyways. I mean, I understand but it's gonna suck anyways =_=

Regiruler

As a Dinomist player the smaller spell zone is gonna suck a lot and it's not like they were even that good of deck anyways. I mean, I understand but it's gonna suck anyways =_=

Dinomist? Backrow? You just have howling and copies of charge, along with the set rush.

I feel like Apprentice Illusion Magician is their way of making a not-crap Dark Magician Girl, but I'm somewhat annoyed that said card isn't able to take advantage of any of the support cards for the actual Dark Magician Girl.

Seems like Dark Magician and DMG get some good support cards that could make a half competant deck, but then they leave their "alternates" out in the cold away from those support cards. Kinda just wish they put "This card's name counts as Dark Magician Girl" on it.

EDIT: Then again, I don't really have the time to learn how to play this game well so >_>*
At least Red Eyes decks work.

Dinomist? Backrow? You just have howling and copies of charge, along with the set rush.

Charge is continuous, so just using one to search already blocks one of the 3 zones I have. That is mostly what I mean. If I so much as use the deck's search card twice I become very limited in my backrow, and I can't play my 3rd copy at all or I'll be unable to play any other s/t at all if I have a pendulum set up.

I feel like Apprentice Illusion Magician is their way of making a not-crap Dark Magician Girl, but I'm somewhat annoyed that said card isn't able to take advantage of any of the support cards for the actual Dark Magician Girl.

Seems like Dark Magician and DMG get some good support cards that could make a half competant deck, but then they leave their "alternates" out in the cold away from those support cards. Kinda just wish they put "This card's name counts as Dark Magician Girl" on it.

EDIT: Then again, I don't really have the time to learn how to play this game well so >_>*
At least Red Eyes decks work.

Yeah, I was disappointed when they didn't even give her the "This card's name becomes Dark Magician Girl while it is on the field" that Magician of Dark Illusion got with Dark Magician.

Sandfox

Zoodiacs

But the game is about to receive a MAJOR change this year.

Check the first posts on the last page for details.

I would advise holding a bit before building a deck
Zoodiacs will still be really good even after the change if he wants to go that route though.

Goldboy

The massive rule changes make me want to get back into Yu-Gi-Oh... I stopped a little over a year ago since the game was getting too fast for my liking.

Is Dueling Network still up?

I wonder, with the Link monsters, if instead of having effects that spam summoning of more Link monsters/etc, if we'll instead see effects along the lines of moving cards around on the field.

I suppose we'll have to see how it ends up working. Also, someone mentioned being able to Pendulum summon across the field your Extra deck monsters? I don't think that's really the case -- just because Pendulum monsters are exempt from those limitations, doesn't mean that the monsters they summon are exempt as well. (Also, I didn't know that Pendulum summoning pulled from Extra deck anyway)

Are there any guides to deck building? I kinda want to maybe get into shit, but... I'm really not good at TCGs, I suck at making decks. I can usually play them okay casually against others, but can't make one to save my life.

Fj0823

I wonder, with the Link monsters, if instead of having effects that spam summoning of more Link monsters/etc, if we'll instead see effects along the lines of moving cards around on the field.

I suppose we'll have to see how it ends up working. Also, someone mentioned being able to Pendulum summon across the field your Extra deck monsters? I don't think that's really the case -- just because Pendulum monsters are exempt from those limitations, doesn't mean that the monsters they summon are exempt as well. (Also, I didn't know that Pendulum summoning pulled from Extra deck anyway)

Are there any guides to deck building? I kinda want to maybe get into shit, but... I'm really not good at TCGs, I suck at making decks. I can usually play them okay casually against others, but can't make one to save my life.

The monsters Pendulum summon brings out from the extra can only be Pendulums. Since they are not classified as extra deck monsters (even though they can be sent there) they should work normally.

That's the general consensus at least.

We don't have clarification yet.

The monsters Pendulum summon brings out from the extra can only be Pendulums. Since they are not classified as extra deck monsters (even though they can be sent there) they should work normally.

That's the general conseAsus at least.

We don't have clarification yet.

Okay, something someone posted earlier I thought they were saying that Pendulum summoning was a way to get around the Link fields. Probably misunderstood.

Honestly if this makes the game less insane, then I'm all for it. I'm hoping that they use the Link monster's effects more to play around with card positions or linked cards more than summon spam.

Miracle

I'm actually liking this Link Monsters rule a lot right now. Been tired for several years how many decks relied on extra deck summoning spam to win lock games.

Too bad for Quasar/Synchron decks though. But luckily, most of my decks don't rely on extra deck to win so maybe that's why I'm happy about this change. :p

Fj0823

I'm actually liking this Link Monsters rule a lot right now. Been tired for several years how many decks relied on extra deck summoning spam to win lock games.

Too bad for Quasar/Synchron decks though. But luckily, most of my decks don't rely on extra deck to win so maybe that's why I'm happy about this change. :p

Oh you can summon Quasar with links...

https://youtu.be/MWrKDpiJ3Uc

Regiruler

Jesus fuck that's a completely unnecessary level of brutality.

They literally made a deck hardly 2 years ago where it was designed to summon 5 pendulum monsters and use them as destruction fodder.

It's just complete overkill. Even if the reason is to not allow them to make links as easily with the revived monsters, they could've just made a ruling that Links absolutely require the materials to go to the grave therefore making pendulums useless for that purpose.

Fj0823

Yeah that's waaaay too much nerf on the other mechanics to push Links.

Not a single deck popular deck from the past 9 years is going to work as intended ever again.

Fj0823

I give Link monsters 1 year before we're back to the new mechanic absolutely decimating every other deck.

This has never really happened

I give it 2 booster packs, so six months until we're stuck with even faster decks so the "they're just slowing the game" crowd has to eat crow.

Process can be accelerated if we get Links 2 and 3 with SS effects that easily set up Links 5 and 6

The summoning condition for Links is busted as hell. It's stupid easy to set up a generic Link monster. Samurai can get their Link and a Shi En just as easy as before the change

Edit: Double post sorry...

MechaX

I am just now getting caught up with the Link Summon stuff and I have to admit that I still don't have a 100% grasp on its full ramifications.

So if I have a Blue Eyes deck... will I really be effected that much since my Extra Deck are mostly boss monsters?

So if I have a Blue Eyes deck... will I really be effected that much since my Extra Deck are mostly boss monsters?

If you use the extra deck a lot yeah. But hey it's kinda obvious they'll make Blue-Eyes themed link monsters with benefits for the archetype.

Fj0823

I am just now getting caught up with the Link Summon stuff and I have to admit that I still don't have a 100% grasp on its full ramifications.

You should be fine considering a Dragon link 2 or 3 is bound to happen

Welcome to the life of a Pendulum Magician player.

My man...let us cry together

And we haven't even had a chance to try out Zarc Magicians :(

This has never really happened

I give it 2 booster packs, so six months until we're stuck with even faster decks so the "they're just slowing the game" crowd has to eat crow.

Process can be accelerated if we get Links 2 and 3 with SS effects that easily set up Links 5 and 6

The summoning condition for Links is busted as hell. It's stupid easy to set up a generic Link monster. Samurai can get their Link and a Shi En just as easy as before the change

Edit: Double post sorry...

Hell depending on the banlist in a month I imagine people will have to eat their words about a slower game as soon as the firsr format.

Fj0823

And we haven't even had a chance to try out Zarc Magicians :(

Hell depending on the banlist in a month I imagine people will have to eat their words about a slower game as soon as the firsr format.

To be Fair, Links don't really affect pendulum Magician once you set up a Link 3.

Surviving with your hand only is the tough part

On another note, I hope that, for the sake of the game. Links have the rarities (common rates, supers) pendulums had and not the rarity Xyz had at the start, with all of them being secret or ultimate.

So I take it DDDs are gonna be fucked with the new format, as with anyother deck that relies on the extra deck

Lol nope. They can still do some good stuff

https://youtu.be/7itkuADOW4c

Fj0823

I don't want to say they're completely fucked (yet) but I'm not sure a combo requiring 4 specific cards in hand is the best of examples

YouTubers only post combos like that.

It's annoying, but the video kinda shows some ideas for playing then with Links

Regiruler

Put all pendulum related OCG promos and dimension box cards in there, please. We should be importing things at maximum capacity.

Escargo

Just topped at my locals infested with zoodiacs with blue-eyes. I envy their plays honestly and how they can use the rest of the hand to break my board or put up a heavy backrow.

Wichu

Just threw this Dark Magician deck together. No surprises, just all the regular archetype cards.

Any good?

http://yugiohdeckbuilder.com/deck/569656

Dark Magical Circle, Magician Navigation, and Eternal Soul are by far the best cards in the deck and should all be at 3 copies. The old support is honestly fairly awful - the only one I'd play is Dark Magic Attack as an Eternal Soul target. And you should definitely be playing Ebon Illusion Magician in your Extra Deck.

I'm still tweaking my own deck, but once Apprentice Illusion Magician is out it will probably look something like this:

3 Dark Magician
3 Magician of Dark Illusion
3 Apprentice Illusion Magician
3 Magician's Rod
1 Night's End Sorcerer
1 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

3 Dark Magical Circle
3 Pot of Duality
2 Illusion Magic
1 Dark Magic Inheritance
1 Dark Magic Expanded
1 Dark Magic Attack
1 Secret Village of the Spellcasters
1 Book of Moon

3 Magician Navigation
3 Eternal Soul
2 Breakthrough Skill
2 Champion's Vigilance
1 Solemn Warning
1 Vanity's Emptiness
1 Eradicator Epidemic Virus

3 Ebon Illusion Magician
1 Ebon High Magician
1 Number 11: Big Eye
1 Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon
1 Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
1 Number 74: Master of Blades
1 Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Ally of Justice Catastor

This is just based on the cards I own (+Apprentice Illusion Magician) and I don't play in tournaments, so the list could almost certainly be better, but it's how I would build the deck. If you want me to explain why I'm playing (or not playing) a particular card or cards, let me know :)

Fj0823

Is there any announced link that has synergy with Galaxies?

Most of the time I only use 1 Xyz at a time, but wasting the Extra zone on an Xyz seems very counterproductive when I could use one to unlock some Extra Zones.

Im thinking a two material link that can survive a turn alone

Vashetti

Banned
This is just based on the cards I own (+Apprentice Illusion Magician) and I don't play in tournaments, so the list could almost certainly be better, but it's how I would build the deck. If you want me to explain why I'm playing (or not playing) a particular card or cards, let me know :)

I just ran this deck through YGOPro and the chains you can produce are insane lol

I would still love to read your explanations for everything though. I've only just got back into the game, I've never played with synchros, tuners, Xyz, etc.

Last time I played was probably about 8-9 years ago so I'm super rusty.

Kito

If you want me to explain why I'm playing (or not playing) a particular card or cards, let me know :)

You have no ways of summoning Dark Magician on your turn (without first setting a trap card). Why is this not a problem, why no Dark Magic Veil, or Chocolate Magician Girl?

Wichu

I just ran this deck through YGOPro and the chains you can produce are insane lol

I would still love to read your explanations for everything though. I've only just got back into the game, I've never played with synchros, tuners, Xyz, etc.

Last time I played was probably about 8-9 years ago so I'm super rusty.

The aim of the deck is to use Dark Magical Circle to control the field. Magician Navigation and Eternal Soul can trigger it at will, and Navigation also protects Circle and Soul from being destroyed using its second effect. A good opening is to summon Rod to find Circle, or one of the two Traps if you already have it, then pass the turn and when your opponent tries something, summon Dark Magician and banish it. Then, in your next turn, you can summon a second Dark Magician off Eternal Soul if you have it, make Ebon Illusion Magician, and banish for days.

Gonna quickly go over the things that aren't so obvious:

Kycoo/Night's End: DARK Spellcasters for Magician Navigation, if the opponent is playing a deck that uses their graveyard or banishing. Night's End is also a Tuner so I can make Synchro monsters.
Pot of Duality: I mostly Special Summon on my opponent's turn, so it's a fairly safe inclusion. There's a few cards I want to find ASAP, and Pot of Duality helps with that.
Book of Moon: A fairly versatile Quick-Play spell that interrupts my opponent's plays and lets me summon Magician of Dark Illusion.
Breakthrough Skill: Similar to the above - interrupts monster effects and gives me two chances to summon Magician of Dark Illusion.
Champion's Vigilance/Solemn Warning: Sometimes I want spend a card to just say NO. As they're Counter Traps I can't chain Magician of Dark Illusion, and the condition/cost can be awkward, but they're useful to have in case I can't deal with something another way.
Vanity's Emptiness: Most decks rely on Special Summoning. If I can get a Dark Magician or two and banish anything bigger, it makes it hard for the opponent to come back. Magician Navigation protects it from effects that would remove it.
Eradicator Epidemic Virus: Hey, this deck summons 2500 ATK DARK monsters!

Most of the Xyz monsters are just generic good Rank 7s. Azure-Eyes protects itself and summons back a Dark Magician next turn, Stardust protects Eternal Soul, Scarlight is neat because it doesn't kill Dark Magicians, and Catastor is generally useful.

You have no ways of summoning Dark Magician on your turn (without first setting a trap card). Why is this not a problem, why no Dark Magic Veil, or Chocolate Magician Girl?

That's a good point. I hadn't really thought of that when building the deck. I want to play the deck mostly reactively, hence the high Trap count - I'm fine not doing much in my own turn if I can stop the opponent doing much in theirs. I also want most of my Special Summoning to be done in my opponent's turn so I can use Pot of Duality effectively. I suppose being able to summon Dark Magician during my turn would be useful when going second, so I can banish something with Circle immediately.

The problem is that there aren't any searchable ways to summon Dark Magician on the first turn - I don't think I could reliably get Dark Magic Veil when needed, and Chocolate Magician Girl doesn't summon Dark Magician during my turn anyway.

That said, I want to drop an Illusion Magic (I really don't need two copies with Apprentice Illusion Magician around), so I could try Dark Magic Veil there.

Kito

That said, I want to drop an Illusion Magic (I really don't need two copies with Apprentice Illusion Magician around), so I could try Dark Magic Veil there.

If you drop the other Illusion Magic, your deck wouldn't use tributes at all, and you could use Mask of Restrict if there is ever a tribute heavy meta.

Vashetti

Banned

If you drop the other Illusion Magic, your deck wouldn't use tributes at all, and you could use Mask of Restrict if there is ever a tribute heavy meta.

Yeah I couldn't find a use for Illusion Magic in this deck at all. You come across Dark Magician quickly and efficiently enough with all the other cards.

Top Bottom