• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links |OT| A Speedy Beatdown

Fj0823

Sup Guys.

Guess it's weird I haven't posted here.

I finally got a decent phone for mobile games. :D

So far I'm a bit unimpressed with the AI just summoning Happy Lover in ATK mode, I think I'll uninstall this game if I have to keep playing kindergarten kids to grind.

So I turn to you, with some questions

-How can I get quickly to a decent levels of AI for someone who's played non-meta for a good while?

-What's the deal with skills? What are the best ones I should look for?

-Is it possible to create an Archtype based deck or do you have to do it old-school style and abuse the shit out of Summoned Skull and Axe of Despair?

-Speed Duel format is heavily featured in the new anime series, will the game add the new Link Monsters at some point? I mean it's called Duel Links ffs!!

-And most importantly: Is this pay to win? Or can I grind good cards??

Thank you in advance!!

Sup Guys.

So far I'm a bit unimpressed with the AI just summoning Happy Lover in ATK mode, I think I'll uninstall this game if I have to keep playing kindergarten kids to grind.

-How can I get quickly to a decent levels of AI for someone who's played non-meta for a good while?

-Is it possible to create an Archtype based deck or do you have to do it old-school style and abuse the shit out of Summoned Skull and Axe of Despair?

-Speed Duel format is heavily featured in the new anime series, will the game add the new Link Monsters at some point? I mean it's called Duel Links ffs!!

Thank you in advance!!

Paying can net you better cards in the long run with guaranteed SR card drops but thats the only advantage with paying. UR cards are still up to chance. Most of your cards will be Rs and Ns for rarity.

You missed out on the login bonuses for the launches so thats quite a few gems but it isn't impossible to hit over 1k gems in a short period of time.

Each character you level up all the way to 35 gives you roughly 2.5/3k gems a piece and there are over 10 characters. Plus the weekly events and free gifts means you can hit 50 gem needed for a pack pull very easily.

So for AI, once you hit stage 15 and up do they actually get smart. Just look at the missions for each stage and do them ASAP.

Don't go crazy with the card traders UR and SR cards. They are hella expensive and if your main deck doesn't need it, I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase all of them.

Best skill used to be Bandit Keith's switcharoo which lets you trade cards 2 times a duel but they nerfed it to require you to lose lifepoints.

All the good skills require you to lose lifepoints to draw a random card that will be in your deck of a certain archetype such as spellcaster or warrior. There is also the field spell cards that come auto with certain duelists but thats for the lower levels which you are currently stuck in for a while.

No Axe of Despair sadly. Probably too OP for the current meta but Summoned Skull is in at least.

There is a Duel Links promo going on with card sleeves and card mat from Duel Links but thats it so far. They might wait till the anime releases worldwide before adding the system into the game.

You can grind good cards from dueling people at the gate. Recommend to save your keys that are required to duel them at the gate until their level 40 unlocks where all the good cards are actually at and all the trash cards are filtered out.

Just duel the blue colored people when they show up for free drops and cards.

For spending gems and pulling on certain packs, its all up to you and the deck/archetype you wanna build. I recommend getting staples such as Mirror Wall, Shard of Greed, Sphere Kuriboh and other good stuff from each pack.

Make a list of all the URs and maybe some SRs you want in all the packs. If you get a majority of them, just stop and move on to the next one. You can reset a pack to get another copy of a card but its all RNG and it won't always be kind to you. Like nearly all UR cards are 1 copy per box, if you reset it, you have another chance to get the card but now the packs reset back to full so less chance to get it overall.

Boxes are changed roughly every month or so. There are also boxes called mini boxes which hold a substandard 80 packs compared to the usual 200 packs of a main box and they can give you lots of good cards. Just note that the number of URs is low for mini boxes due to the lower number of packs in it.

Anteo

Sup Guys.

Thank you in advance!!

1. Clear the stage missions, the AI will not only get better at using their cards, they will star using decks themed around something and not just random junk.

2. You can get skills by leveling up and by random drops from legendary duelists, it really depends on your cards but there are some great ones lke Harpies' Hunting Ground (Mai) or Destiny Draw (Yami Yugi)

3. Not every card is currently availible, but there are some specialized decks you can build if you get the right cards.

4. No idea.

5. You can definitely grind cards, but it will take a while. Leveling up your Legendary Duelists gives the most amount of gems, they also give away some gems once in a while. Of course like any F2P paying some money will speed it up considerably.

Edit: Now that Im in this thread, I want to say, fuck the lvl 51 AIs, they sometimes lock the duel on the very first turn. The spirit monsters deck they use is the one Im having the most trouble with.
Also fuck stage 54, 300k effect damage as one of the missions lmao.

cHinzo

Don't worry, the AI is only dumb in the beginning. Imagine getting destroyed by the AI when u still don't have a decent deck yet. It gets better later and leveling up the stages gives some nice extra gems. U should clear all the standard duelists, before going to the next stage, because they will all respawn when u go to a higher stage.

The best archetypes currently are Relinquished, Harpie and Gravekeeper decks. U gotta have the right cards and skills to play the deck. Especialy with the Harpie deck, since u need Harpies Hunting Ground, which u can only get as a skill. Most standard duelists can be beat with a standard beatdown deck with high attack monsters though.

Imo it's a pretty decent game if u are f2p. U can get gems from the events and by leveling up characters and stages. There are definitely p2w players out there though, with stuff like triple Mirror Wall or Soul Exchange, but u should be able to stand ur own if u decide to go f2p.

Permanently A

Sup Guys.

Thank you in advance!!

Just play and get rank up your stage (level) which will unlock tougher AI.

Best skills are stuff that gives you more consistency, like Restart which allows you to redraw your starting hand. But (and this also addresses Archtypes) there are specific decks that rely on specific skills, like Harpies deck uses Harpies' Hunting Grounds skill.

No one knows, but it would be pretty weird to introduce link monsters before all the other stuff.

You can grind good cards like Enemy Controller which can only be obtained from grinding, so P2W is restricted there, but most of the cards can be P2Winned. But at the same time I started a month ago and I have a top tier Blue Eyes deck for PvP so its not too bad for F2P players.

Fj0823

Just play and get rank up your stage (level) which will unlock tougher AI.

Best skills are stuff that gives you more consistency, like Restart which allows you to redraw your starting hand. But (and this also addresses Archtypes) there are specific decks that rely on specific skills, like Harpies deck uses Harpies' Hunting Grounds skill.

No one knows, but it would be pretty weird to introduce link monsters before all the other stuff.

You can grind good cards like Enemy Controller which can only be obtained from grinding, so P2W is restricted there, but most of the cards can be P2Winned. But at the same time I started a month ago and I have a top tier Blue Eyes deck for PvP so its not too bad for F2P players.

What? You're telling me there's more special monsters besides Links!?

That's totally what Konami wants you to think

Well guess I'll power through the baby's first Yu-Gi-Oh! levels

Permanently A

What? You're telling me there's more special monsters besides Links!?

That's totally what Konami wants you to think

Well guess I'll power through the baby's first Yu-Gi-Oh! levels

Oh I forgot to mention, the one important thing this game does do that many others don't is that there is an infinite supply of premium currency available from grinding. So that part is sort of F2P friendly. Try to utilize your initial leveling gems to invest in a farming deck. If you can farm, you can get strong grindable cards like ECon and also pick up extra gems from farming.

A.J.

Banned
I like how a bunch of their cards are ones with gate in the name instead of being cards they specifically used.

cHinzo

Farming the Paradox brothers is going really well. 8k against the level 40 one without much trouble. Getting to 1.8 mil should be doable, since I'm at 500k on the first day already lol. :D The cards itself aren't too interesting though, but hey. Free gems and UR stones!

A.J.

Banned
I'd say the best thing about the Paradox Brothers is their skills. Also that they can also be farmed by my Joey farming deck.

How can I face the brothers at level 50? I've only been able to choose level 30 or 40 when they're out in the duel world. Does my stage mission need to be higher?

How does one go about making a farming deck? I've been making my way through this (I think I'm on Stage 13?), and it'd be nice to have a good source of gems.

So far I've been trying to make a spellcaster deck, since I got the promo Dark Magician, DMG, and Magician's Circle, and it's done me pretty well so far, but I know it won't last forever unless I can get more support cards.

A.J.

Banned
How can I face the brothers at level 50? I've only been able to choose level 30 or 40 when they're out in the duel world. Does my stage mission need to be higher?
Level 50 appears randomly. I think you get a guaranteed spawn for every 300k points acquired.

MiTYH

So what's everyone using to farm the Paradox brothers? I don't have union attack unfortunately, and level 40 is hit/miss depending on my starting cards. Need something more reliable.

cHinzo

I'm using the Unhappy Girls, Rai-Mei, Crystal Seer, Master of Oz, Piranha Army and Gift of the Martyr for 8k points.

A.J.

Banned
So what's everyone using to farm the Paradox brothers? I don't have union attack unfortunately, and level 40 is hit/miss depending on my starting cards. Need something more reliable.
I prefer this setup to Union Attack since the hand efficiency is better. It also works for Super Joey
AejKD1Vl.png

MiTYH

I'm using the Unhappy Girls, Rai-Mei, Crystal Seer, Master of Oz, Piranha Army and Gift of the Martyr for 8k points.
I just looked this up and made a deck -- wow, it works really, really well. Thanks for that!

I prefer this setup to Union Attack since the hand efficiency is better. It also works for Super Joey
AejKD1Vl.png

What's the first two cards on the top-left? And the second spell card in the 3rd row? I have everything else there.

How does one go about making a farming deck? I've been making my way through this (I think I'm on Stage 13?), and it'd be nice to have a good source of gems.

So far I've been trying to make a spellcaster deck, since I got the promo Dark Magician, DMG, and Magician's Circle, and it's done me pretty well so far, but I know it won't last forever unless I can get more support cards.

Early on your best choice for a farming deck is Cerberus from the card trader. The idea is that the monster gets boosted attack for each spell you play; play a ton, get massive attack, kill your opponent on the kill turn. Another option is to get Unhappy Girl and Piranha Army and Gift of the Martyr + a big attack monster like a fusion or blue eyes. You stall with Holy Guard with the Girls on Tea until the final turn and martyr a monsters attack onto the piranha army.

I highly suggest looking up "Duel Links Farming Decks" to get an idea of exact compositions and adjust according to your card pool.

MiTYH

Des Kangaroo
Goddess with the Third Eye
Storm

Thanks. Might try this later, but the unhappy girl combo from above is working really well for me. I had to pull a few times in the Chaos packs, but I've got the entire deck now, and just farmed the random Paradox bros for the high risk gate lvl 40. Wound up with 8100 score.

This is the first event I can really farm! It's exciting!

cHinzo

Thanks. Might try this later, but the unhappy girl combo from above is working really well for me. I had to pull a few times in the Chaos packs, but I've got the entire deck now, and just farmed the random Paradox bros for the high risk gate lvl 40. Wound up with 8100 score.

This is the first event I can really farm! It's exciting!

Yeah this one is a nice and chill event to farm, since the Paradox brothers don't have cards to fck up the final attack unlike Joey. Already made like 700 gems from this event and managed to get 2 Vanguards from the card trader from all the gold en UR stones.

Joey gave me a glossy Red Eyes Spirit too, finally. Need one more before that event ends. -_- Anyone knows if Blue Dragon Summoners are needed for a Red Eyes Spirit deck? Still don't have any of them, but I see one in the card trader right now.

cHinzo

Rip, looks like the Super Joey event has ended. Didn't get my third Red Eyes Spirit, sadly, but I did get a second Red Eyes Impact. 😬 Now if only those Paradox Brothers dropped something else than that wall...

Well, Super Joey ended. I managed to get two of each of his new cards, and a bunch of the dice cards that for some reason are SR.

The Paradox Brothers event is neat, although I think it's too easy, and the rewards are not that great. Is there even a way to use the second effect of Palabyrinth?

Also, Three Star Demotion seems horribly overpowered.

Anyone knows if Blue Dragon Summoners are needed for a Red Eyes Spirit deck? Still don't have any of them, but I see one in the card trader right now.
I would absolutely recommend at least two copies of BDS just to make the deck run significantly faster.

Well, Super Joey ended. I managed to get two of each of his new cards, and a bunch of the dice cards that for some reason are SR.

The Paradox Brothers event is neat, although I think it's too easy, and the rewards are not that great. Is there even a way to use the second effect of Palabyrinth?

Also, Three Star Demotion seems horribly overpowered.
Best use I can think of is if you run a deck with Summoned Skull and Beast of Talwar, both 6 star high atk archfiend monsters. Have one on the field, banish any other fiend (there are dozens), and then special summon the other.

Agreed on 3SD. I have half a mind to build a 3SD deck around Dark Magician but I have a feeling it's gonna get nerfed by the time I'm done farming Yugi/Kaiba lol

Tea burn and three star demotion need to be nerfed before the world qualifiers.
I run a tea burn deck along with others, but I don't see how they can possibly nerf it. The duel standby skill is as tame as can be.

3 stars demotion is pretty annoying and can OTK you if you aren't lucky to have the counters in your hand.

Also fuck Tea, dumb bitch always drawing magic cards for me instead of monsters. Its been a pain hitting level 35 with her.

New duelist next month, hoping for Marik but that description sounds pretty generic, could be a random battle city dude like Esper Roba at this point

I wonder how they will finally update the forbidden/limited list for the championships. I guess they haven't done so yet because they want people to buy cards but multiple mirror wall/sphere kuriboh/enemy controller/riryoku are pretty broken. Tbh pumprincess was ban-worthy when it came out

New duelist next month, hoping for Marik but that description sounds pretty generic, could be a random battle city dude like Esper Roba at this point

But just imagine; Esper Roba would mean Jinzo. :D

I wonder how they will finally update the forbidden/limited list for the championships. I guess they haven't done so yet because they want people to buy cards but multiple mirror wall/sphere kuriboh/enemy controller/riryoku are pretty broken. Tbh pumprincess was ban-worthy when it came out

Nothing is really ban worthy yet. They release strong counters instead.

cHinzo

I've been trying out this deck lately. It's super fun.
tUHNgTRh.png
Fck that Panda. Remember getting rekt by one of those decks during the KC Cup.

Anyways, just used my last 80 keys to try to get those SR cards and of course I bricked both of the runs lol. Shit hand and they summoned Kazejin plus Wall Shadow turn 2 for the kill. On the bright side: both the losses gave me an SR, so I finally got the triple Dimension Gates lol. Saw an interesting dragon deck with Dimension Gate and the new Vanguard dragons so imma try that one out. It also seems to combo well with a Harpie deck. E-con -> steal monster -> Dimension Gate to banish stolen monster -> summons Harpie -> destroy Dimension Gate -> banished stolen monster stays permanent on ur side of the field.

Welp Para bros event is officially over. Good riddance tbh - the drops were largely crap outside of Dimension Gate. But I got some gems and UR jewels out of it so it's not all bad.

Fj0823

Well screw this game,

A pro like me is wasting time here, I guess the game was created for filthy casuals like you losers!1!¡2

No but seriously guys, I'm afraid this game is definitely not clicking with me.

It's designed in such a way that it doesn't have the simplicity of old-school YGO but it also fails to reach the depths of modern YGO.

When I remember a cool strategy from back in the day I find that the game is missing some the cards in questions because they would break the game.

And when I try a more modern take on a deck I end up frustrated by the lack of Synchro,Xyz and Pendulum monsters that would make my strategy come to it's full potential.

I understand that I should adapt and think of this as a whole different format, but no matter how I play I always get this "I miss X" feeling.

The game is definitely well done and a fantastic starting point for new and returning players, the animation and sound design is ace too.

I really want to like it, but this game is not for me.

Guess I wont be as active in this thread,

But I hope to see some of you guys on OT!

I'll stick around for cool events though

GDI my BLS deck isn't working out as I planned. I probably have to think of new cards to support it. Its not meshing well with the current meta so I might have to scrape it for later support cards.

It's designed in such a way that it doesn't have the simplicity of old-school YGO but it also fails to reach the depths of modern YGO.

When I remember a cool strategy from back in the day I find that the game is missing some the cards in questions because they would break the game.

And when I try a more modern take on a deck I end up frustrated by the lack of Synchro,Xyz and Pendulum monsters that would make my strategy come to it's full potential.

I understand that I should adapt and think of this as a whole different format, but no matter how I play I always get this "I miss X" feeling.

That is literally what makes it good for a lot of us players. Modern Yugioh is barely even a game where matches last 3-5 turns if you are lucky and you spend more time playing solitaire during your own turn then interacting with your opponent. They will eventually add some of those mechanics, in the future, but like the current card pool they will curate it to keep out most of the bad combinations that have led modern Yugioh to be the mess that it is.

Fj0823

That is literally what makes it good for a lot of us players. Modern Yugioh is barely even a game where matches last 3-5 turns if you are lucky and you spend more time playing solitaire during your own turn then interacting with your opponent. They will eventually add some of those mechanics, in the future, but like the current card pool they will curate it to keep out most of the bad combinations that have led modern Yugioh to be the mess that it is.

I mean, the metagame has always been like that, it's always been about locking your opponent out of play since the early days of Metamorphosis into Thousand-Eyes Restrict, Delinquent Duo,Time Seal,Graceful Charity and Yata-Garasu.

Not really different from Wind-Up Hunter, That Grass is Greener,Zoodiac Ratpier , MasterPeace the True Dracoslayer or Elder Entity Norden.

I just can't agree with the "back in the day we played with Feral Imp and Dark Magician and it was so simple and great" narrative, it's not true. I was there.

I also can't agree that this game is that curated, there's a lot of easily exploitable combinations with the current cardpool. I've seen some really OP burn decks.

As I said, this game is fantastic starting point, but for me it just lacks options. I think what I miss the most are hand traps like Effect Veiler.

Its just not for me and that's ok.

I also couldn't get into Pokemon GO ):

I mean, the metagame has always been like that, it's always been about locking your opponent out of play since the early days of Metamorphosis into Thousand-Eyes Restrict, Delinquent Duo,Time Seal,Graceful Charity and Yata-Garasu.

Not really different from Wind-Up Hunter, That Grass is Greener,Zoodiac Ratpier , MasterPeace the True Dracoslayer or Elder Entity Norden.

I just can't agree with the "back in the day we played with Feral Imp and Dark Magician and it was so simple and great" narrative, it's not true. I was there.

Yugioh literally just had an event where the Top 32 was all Zoodiac. Every. Deck. I'm OK not being that sort of meta. There are currently a dozen plus viable archetypes in Duel Links, if not more.

Fj0823

Yugioh literally just had an event where the Top 32 was all Zoodiac. Every. Deck. I'm OK not being that sort of meta. There are currently a dozen plus viable archetypes in Duel Links, if not more.

You said that the problem was modern YGO. I just pointed out that YGO TCG meta has always been dominated by 3-4 decks. One deck dominating a tournament is nothing new. It's usually

Duel Links meta might be different so it's understandable to like it more. Still, the jury is out as the first big tournament is pending.

Bottom line is, Links deviates from both classic and modern YGO in playstyle.

Which is exactly why I'm not feeling it, that's all.

BLS deck is so much fun. Hit gold with it easy. It was so satisfying killing a 3 star demotion deck using BLS OTK combo lol. Guy was not expecting BLS in one turn lol.

A.J.

Banned
Well so far in the rookie ranks of the qualifier, I just played against someone who unironically summoned M Warrior #1.

Top Bottom