• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzo Koshiro on Switch during interview: "Why does this thing even exist, really"

Status
Not open for further replies.
U a fashion kingpin

Thanks, I like blue if you couldn't tell.

I think too many people here are viewing this through the lens of western preferences, but I'm assuming that most Switch owners in Japan are using this 100% as a portable device. So from that perspective I think the question is fair. Hybrid is I doubt a big selling point in Japan because home consoles are not big sellers anymore. So if it's a portable device that doesn't have novel features* (like the DS did with its dual screen when it came out while the GBA was still around), then where does it fit into the Japanese market if it's not meant to replace the 3DS? I think that's all he is wondering.

(*) - you could make the argument that the motion controls are a novel feature, but I don't think it's a foundational feature to the system as the DS's dual screens were. It's also probably not something you can take advantage of while standing on the train during your commute.

Two things-

First, from a Japanese perspective I think his comment makes even less sense. The Switch is selling insanely well over there, better than pretty much anything else in recent years besides the 3DS, though it's likely going to catch up soon. And it's selling primarily as a handheld like you said, so I'm not sure why he thinks it's too big or pricey for a handheld when it's doing remarkably well as one.

Second, the local multiplayer right out of the box is probably the biggest "gimmick" it has, especially for Japan.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I get that a price dropp would be great for consumer but why on earth would Nintendo consider a price dropp why demand is so high ? Its basic economics guys lol

I'm only arguing that $300 isn't quite mass market prices for a portable system.

I'm curious about this design though if you want proper sticks. Circle pads would be ideal for the clamshell design as they're flatter. I wouldn't want to go back to circle pads.

If circle pads are necessary to make a small, clamshell portable device possible, make it so.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Portable doesn't mean "fits in your pocket" though. It means "can easily bring with you".
Laptops are portables. iPads are portables.

Portable TV's. I damn sure cant fit one of those in my pocket.

PSFan

Gamefreak are making the Switch Pokémon game. They didn't make Coliseum and XD. It's clear what was announced.

Did GameFreak themselves make any of those games? Not to mention that they themselves said that it's a core RPG, which would imply that its a mainline game. Unless Nintendo is severely planning on a 4DS and splitting up their development teams again between console and handheld, the Switch is getting the next mainline Pokemon

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/1...raditional-find-battle-train-type-experience/

I feel like people are gonna remain in denial even if they straight up use the word "mainline" lol

They said Game Freak is making a core RPG for Switch, not that it's just an RPG. That cannot be misconstrued.

It's a traditional "find, battle, train" game. It's also made by GameFreak

"Game Freak is developing a core Pokemon RPG title"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJdDe8fElc

You're being willfully ignorant if you think that means Pokemon Coliseum.

Since When is Game Freak developing other Pokemon Games than Mainline Pokémons?

They said they were making a "core Pokemon RPG". If you don't want to believe that means a mainline game then fine, but you're wrong - it absolutely means a mainline game.

I cannot believe Nintendo would make a 4DS unless Switch BOMBED. They unified their development teams and made Switch for a reason. If they release another small, light, cheaper handheld it will be based on the Switch. Period.

Let's see, Metroid fans wanted a proper game after Federation Force so Prime 4 was announced.
Many 3D Mario fans wanted another Mario in the vein of 64 and Sunshine after playing 3D World and Odyssey was announced.
Many people were bummed at the Pokémon Direct that only Pokken was announced for the Switch and then at the big show E3, a member of The Pokémon Company mentioned he had "one more thing" to announce, the future POKEMON COLLISSEUM.

Please use some common sense.

No, they've confirmed it's a normal pokemon game where you do pokemon game stuff.

I never heard or read the word "core" in any of the announcements. And just because Game Freak hasn't developed other Pokemon games, doesn't mean they can't.

Also, why wouldn't Reggie come out and say the next Pokemon game will be on Switch instead of that vague "find, catch, and train experience" stuff?

I don't think I'm the one being willfully ignorant, as I'm keeping my expectations in check. I don't care where the next mainline Pokemon game will be, I'll get it regardless.

I never heard or read the word "core" in any of the announcements. And just because Game Freak hasn't developed other Pokemon games, doesn't mean they can't.

Also, why wouldn't Reggie come out and say the next Pokemon game will be on Switch instead of that vague "find, catch, and train experience" stuff?

I don't think I'm the one being willfully ignorant, as I'm keeping my expectations in check. I don't care where the next mainline Pokemon game will be, I'll get it regardless.

????

I linked you the announcement DIRECTLY from the E3 spotlight where he explicitly uses the word "core". Watch it for yourself if you don't believe us.

And Reggie called it a "traditional find, battle, train" experience which can really only mean one thing. Why did he say that instead of "next Pokemon game"? Because then people like you would say, "oh, well 'next Pokemon game' could mean Pokemon Coliseum for all we know!" Even if he dropped "mainline" in there people would come up with excuses. "Find, battle, train" is about as explicit as you can get regarding what type of game it is.

I'm curious about this design though if you want proper sticks. Circle pads would be ideal for the clamshell design as they're flatter. I wouldn't want to go back to circle pads.

The sticks are actually super shallow internally, they sit on top of the battery in the joycons. With the new 2DSxl, it looks like they would fit into that if they were each recessed into a conical area, something like the GPD Win.

Nanashrew

Banned

He says it right in the video though...

And Game Freak never really handles any of the side Pokemon, other companies do.

Because he does not know? Why people think that Reggie has insights in Gamefreaks or Nintendos plans? Of course he gets information month before the public, but he is not in a position where he must know all future plans.

Many of his statements in the past showed that his insight in Nintendos plans are very limited.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The internet accepts your challenge!

It's really weird. Game Freak barely has enough resources to make a few indie titles alongside these Pokemon RPGs, but then they still tried to remove any ambiguity by saying it's a core RPG. But people still have doubts about what it is?

Edit:

Wow.

LotusHD

Banned

I dunno how you can say you're being ignorant, and then say that it's reasonable to expect GF to suddenly develop a different Pokemon game. Why would they randomly break from what everyone expects of them?

And they said "core" in the Spotlight video.

They already said the next game will be out on the Switch to begin with, and y'all are still thinking it's gonna be some spinoff thing lol

Reggie just made it even more clear by describing it as traditional, as well as using the words find and catch. Like, I don't know how much more obvious one could make it at this point.

I'm going to wait until Pokémon is confirmed exclusive to the Switch before drawing firm conclusions, could be another 3 version job like Stars was expected to be!

TheMink

The Switch IS a replacement for the 3DS.

No Company will say "stop buying this it is dead" unless people are already not buying it.

Their mouths say the 3DS is alive but their heart say "mainline pokemon for switch" which means 3DS is in it's dying bed

I believe this to be true.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm going to wait until Pokémon is confirmed exclusive to the Switch before drawing firm conclusions, could be another 3 version job like Stars was expected to be!

With Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, these are already the 7th gen sequels. A 3rd one ain't coming. Switch will most assuredly be gen 8.

The Switch is definitely a bit too big to be a "take with you everywhere" portable like the 3DS was, he's right on that point. My 3DS I can slide into my pocket every morning, but the Switch requires planning ahead to bring it along.

The Switch could also definitely use a price drop and some more durable material to push it into being a mass market device, but as long as Nintendo has the 3DS & 2DS to cater to that portion of the market, I don't see much changing with the Switch.

Not sure what pockets you have for the 3DS to be pocketable. The O3DS was borderline for me (and ended up being uncomfortable), whereas the XL, I had to either use the wallet pocket of my winter coat, or get a case and pack it in my bag. The Switch is no different in that regard since I have a tough case and put it in my bag.

Also idk how many times it needs to be stated in however many threads: pocketability =/= portability. Otherwise, by your logic, tablets aren't portable.

Not sure what pockets you have for the 3DS to be pocketable. The O3DS was borderline for me (and ended up being uncomfortable), whereas the XL, I had to either use the wallet pocket of my winter coat, or get a case and pack it in my bag. The Switch is no different in that regard since I have a tough case and put it in my bag.

Also idk how many times it needs to be stated in however many threads: pocketability =/= portability. Otherwise, by your logic, tablets aren't portable.

Correct.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

That's at least a more logical argument, but 5 releases for the Sun/Moon generation? And Ishihara said it's likely more than a year away. Still, it's more of a possibility than Game Freak making another Pokemon RPG series.

Agreed with many points Koshiro made. The novelty of the Switch is exaggerated. The idea of a console on the go has been done since Sega Nomad so it's really nothing new. Also the price is current very high. Too high to be the 3DS replacement.

Why does it even exist? To sell to Nintendo fans of course. The Switch is definitely the best Nintendo hardware I ever had in my hand and I think all the Nintendo fans, many were disappointed by WiiU disaster, just rush to buy it, resulting in the success that we're seeing. It will be the real test next year if the Switch can justify its existence outside its fan bases once the initial rush slows down.

Agreed with many points Koshiro made. The novelty of the Switch is exaggerated. The idea of a console on the go has been done since Sega Nomad so it's really nothing new. Also the price is current very high. Too high to be the 3DS replacement.

Why does it even exist? To sell to Nintendo fans of course. The Switch is definitely the best Nintendo hardware I ever had in my hand and I think all the Nintendo fans, many were disappointed by WiiU disaster, just rush to buy it, resulting in the success that we're seeing. It will be the real test next year if the Switch can justify its existence outside its fan bases once the initial rush slows down.

So only Nintendo fans are buying the Switch, gotcha.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Okay, how can I explain this then...

iPad is to iPhone as Switch is to ______.

I'd like the product that would go in that blank. I don't carry around an iPad daily but I do carry around my iPhone SE, which fits comfortably in a pocket.

Also I wear standard store-bought denim jeans almost daily. The New Nintendo 3DS fits nicely in any pocket I put it in.

I have no reason to carry a purse, fanny pack, satchel, messenger bag, backpack, or anything else daily, and to start carrying one simply to play games on the go is super inconvenient.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't see a smaller form factor coming. You can't make the joycons even smaller and still have them usable as motion controllers, let alone for two player on the go. You'd cut both a lot of the value of the system as well as nerf games like 1-2 Switch and Arms. If Koshiro doesn't get multiplayer on the go, he doesn't get half of what the system is about. Thats not even talking about the technical challenge to make a battery and Tegra fit into a smaller form factor.

jackal27

Banned
Honestly, I can see his point. He basically seems to be saying "It's not a powerful console and it's not a very portable handheld, so what's the point?" and he's kind of right.

But I would also disagree and say that while it does have some design problems, the value it brings justifies it. Is it a great portable device? Not really, but it still is portable. Is it a powerful home console? No, but it's powerful enough and of course you're going to get those exclusive Nintendo games that you can't find anywhere else.

Overall, I'm really happy with my Switch, but he is not wrong about its flaws. I just don't think it's feasibly possible for us to have our "PS4 the size of a 3DS" cake and eat it too at this point. I would certainly love a smaller version at some point in the future though.

EDIT: Also, the 3DS is immensely popular in Japan and this is making me wonder if the Switch was designed to have more of appeal to western audiences if the 3DS' portable form factor is such a huge selling point in Japan.

Paasei

I was actually thinking about getting one, after not being remotely impressed during it's first time reveal. Or well, after I heard about the phone app to contact your friends and the short battery span.

Yet I think it looks very neat and I want it, because I simply miss those Nintendo games. Haven't bought a Nintendo console after the GC.

jstripes

Banned
Nintendo should be able to make a Switch Pocket in a couple of years, as the power required to run it can be scaled down.

kinggroin

Banned
The point of the Switch, I thought, was a platform with which Nintendo could pool and concentrate their development resources. Pretty much eliminating droughts and improving library variety.

I guess I misunderstood...?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I was actually thinking about getting one, after not being remotely impressed during it's first time reveal. Or well, after I heard about the phone app to contact your friends and the short battery span.

Yet I think it looks very neat and I want it, because I simply miss those Nintendo games. Haven't bought a Nintendo console after the GC.

Honestly you're best off getting a Wii U so you have access to the last ten years of games all on one box.

mindatlarge

Honestly, I don't care about what the Switch is labeled as. I think some of his points are very valid too, the Switch is still finding its identity. Though you give me BotW, you give me Mario Odyssey, you give me Xenoblade 2, you give me Metroid Prime 4, hopefully etc, etc, etc and really, like I said, I don't care what the Switch ends up being known as officially.

Just keep giving me great games that I can play with such great freedom to enjoy them.

takriel

Honestly, I don't care about what the Switch is labeled as. I think some of his points are very valid too, the Switch is still finding its identity. Though you give me BotW, you give me Mario Odyssey, you give me Xenoblade 2, you give me Metroid Prime 4, hopefully etc, etc, etc and really, like I said, I don't care what the Switch ends up being known as officially.

Just keep giving me great games that I can play with such great freedom to enjoy them.
You've literally answered your own question. The Switch is a console that plays great games with great freedom.

n!smo

Neo Member
One of the many hardcore Nintendo fans is going to murder him with an Zelda Amibo, isn't he xD

On topic:
Many are waiting for a revision of Switch, including me. The Crowbcat video was harsh :)

So why are they buying it significantly faster than either 3DS or Wii U?

Because 3DS launch lineup was a disaster and the WiiU was a confusing mess at launch, comparing that to the Switch which launched with a new Zelda. It's not really that hard.

The Sega Nomad was a bulky monster with even worse, non-rechargable battery life. To compare it to the Switch is just wrong. What other consoles have done it since without a whole bunch of caveats and catches?

The Nomad was the very first of its kind of course it's not going to be thin and sleek like the Switch. The very first video game console also didn't look like what we have nowadays.

Plum

The Sega Nomad was a bulky monster with even worse, non-rechargable battery life. To compare it to the Switch is just wrong. What other consoles have done it since without a whole bunch of caveats and catches?

sinonobu

Banned
Pokemon Switch is definitely mainline title as Japanese Nintendo twitter account and Isihara both stated it as "poket monster series" rather than "pokemon series".

In Japan mainline games are reffered as "pocket monster series" and spin-offs are labeled as "pokemon series".

Man, what would happen if Nintendo DID announce a new handheld-only console?

Man, what would happen if I win a lottery tomorrow?

Cuburt

I could see Nintendo making a smaller version, a Switch mini/slim as example, to reach the audience that would buy a Nintendo handheld yet would hold out for a $300 console, but it will likely mean cutting out some significant functionality to save cost.

The question is what do they cut out and would it be worth it for what they would gain?

I think that there are less people holding out for a "handheld only" or a "console only" device (at least among casual gamers compared to hardcore gamers/GAF) than there is people would would be brought on board by the Hybrid nature of the device and the options it has. Nintendo also runs the risk of dividing their base by making a "handheld only" or "console only" device this early on, so I don't see Nintendo even trying that until at least 2 years in (2019, which actually lines up with Reggie's 3DS support in 2018 ).

Some developers have made games for both the 3DS and Switch and I wouldn't be surprised if we see sales for Switch starting to overshadow the 3DS more and more as people upgrade, making less reason for Nintendo to chase after those hold outs. They just need to be sure of how many of those hold outs there will be, especially in a market where their handheld presence makes up a significant portion of the market, like in Japan. I think we are seeing a scenario where both console-style games like BotW sell and handheld-style games sell as well. Ultimately, Nintendo games will sell regardless so I don't think Nintendo is worried about game sales without a dedicated handheld/console like 3rd parties are worried, but Nintendo is more concerned about if they can get all their healthy handheld market to move over to the Switch.

I think the one thing that most should be able to agree on is that there isn't a strong console base for Nintendo and any hold outs don't make a strong case for a console-only Switch any time soon.

Seik

Banned
The point of the Switch, I thought, was a platform with which Nintendo could pool and concentrate their development resources. Pretty much eliminating droughts and improving library variety.

I don't think so, sounds about right with what's going on.

Yes there are 3DS games coming, but most are/will be outsourced 2nd scale projects. Third party that are on 3DS won't jump the boat immediately as you would be insane to jump from a 60M+ userbase to a rough ~5M. It wouldn't make a bit a financial sense.

Sheroking

It's a weird thing to say about a console that's connected this well with the marketplace.

Like maybe YOU not seeing the point says more about your perspective than it does the Switch?

I don't think some get it.
It's not always the case that Nintendo totally invented a concept but it's often the case where their implementation of an already existing idea is slick and very well done.
It doesn't hurt that they have a legendary software stable as well.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't see a smaller form factor coming. You can't make the joycons even smaller and still have them usable as motion controllers, let alone for two player on the go. You'd cut both a lot of the value of the system as well as nerf games like 1-2 Switch and Arms. If Koshiro doesn't get multiplayer on the go, he doesn't get half of what the system is about. Thats not even talking about the technical challenge to make a battery and Tegra fit into a smaller form factor.

Same, I don't really see it happening, at least not to the point where people are saying it's "definitely" coming

Nope, that's what the switch is afaik. Nintendo's only console going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom