• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzo Koshiro on Switch during interview: "Why does this thing even exist, really"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you around for the DS? They said it would be a third pillar and wouldn't replace the GBA, but the moment it got successful they dropped the GBA. You can see that happening now. The Pokemon company is moving on to the switch after Ultra. They announced zero first party games for the 3DS. Their output will be focused on the switch now. Third parties will continue to support the 3ds for a while because it's big in Japan, but that's only a matter of time, and Japan has a history of supporting handhelds way past their death.
Da was from 2004 and GBA games grom Nintendo ended in 2006.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If they're gonna keep the 3DS alive alongside it I kinda agree. Kill that thing ASAP (yes, I understand why they won't do this), or at least release all future games on both. Otherwise, yeah, what's the point? Could have just been a more powerful home console instead. Now they've got two portables.

(I'm really enjoying the hybrid aspect of the Switch, so this isn't really about that.)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If they're gonna keep the 3DS alive alongside it I kinda agree. Kill that thing ASAP, or at least release so future games on both. Otherwise, yeah, what's the point?

So what you are saying that there is no point in Switch as long as the 3DS is still being sold ?

oti

Banned
The point of the Switch, I thought, was a platform with which Nintendo could pool and concentrate their development resources. Pretty much eliminating droughts and improving library variety.

I guess I misunderstood...?

The other point is to leave the hardware arms race behind in a very elegant matter. Sure, some people on NeoGAF are going to laugh how much worse Switch games look compared to the PS4 Pro or Xbox X. Sane people will look at the tablet and realise the games look great for the form factor and very good overall.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So what you are saying that there is no point in Switch as long as the 3DS is still being sold ?

Depends on how long they keep the 3DS alive. I bought the Switch believing/hoping it would be Nintendo's unification of their home and portable console lines, and that it as such would be getting ALL Nintendo-developed software going forward. I think that was the impression many had.

Platy

Were you around for the DS? They said it would be a third pillar and wouldn't replace the GBA, but the moment it got successful they dropped the GBA. You can see that happening now. The Pokemon company is moving on to the switch after Ultra. They announced zero first party games for the 3DS. Their output will be focused on the switch now. Third parties will continue to support the 3ds for a while because it's big in Japan, but that's only a matter of time, and Japan has a history of supporting handhelds way past their death.

AND they mentioned the WiiU more on the E3 presentation than the 3DS.

Let that sink in.

But yeah for a place like Japan that basicaly only handhelds exist, the 3ds is more portable than the Switch. Too bad.

ezodagrom

I wonder what are the odds of Nintendo making a Pascal or even Volta based handheld sized Switch, that is, instead of a revision increasing power like PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, using the efficiency of the newer architectures for a smaller form factor.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Depends on how long they keep the 3DS alive. I bought the Switch believing/hoping it would be Nintendo's unification of their home and portable console lines, and that it as such would be getting ALL Nintendo-developed software going forward. I think that was the impression many had.

Obv. 3DS wont be here in 3-4 years. The stuff that is still about to release on 3DS started on 3DS ages ago...should they just cancel or not release those games because Switch owners are insecure ?

Mobile development alone means that Switch will never have get 100% of all Nintendo developed software....but there really is no reason to complain for the other 90% of resources spend on Switch.

It's also what's happening. We're getting 10 first party games in the first 10 months and a mainline Pokemon game just got announced for it. It's clearly going to replace the 3DS, just not quite as abruptly as many here hoped.

I kind of wonder how people in Japan are viewing the Switch. I know it's been really successful there, but is the hybrid part a big part of that or are people cool with it solely as a handheld? I have a feeling Koshiro might be judging it from that perspective. Reading between the lines of what he's saying it seems like he's aware that consoles in Japan are a lost cause and that's his concern.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'm also expecting a smaller version down the line that's cheaper.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Legendary game composer spends time with dedicated game journalist to share insights on his life and work, internet only cares about his throwaway comment on the Switch. Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom