• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzo Koshiro on Switch during interview: "Why does this thing even exist, really"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Segnaro

The point of the Switch, I thought, was a platform with which Nintendo could pool and concentrate their development resources. Pretty much eliminating droughts and improving library variety.

I guess I misunderstood...?

Yep, that's the point.

Japan prefers handhelds, the West prefers gaming on a television. The Switch lets them develop games without worrying about these differences.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I never heard or read the word "core" in any of the announcements. And just because Game Freak hasn't developed other Pokemon games, doesn't mean they can't.

Also, why wouldn't Reggie come out and say the next Pokemon game will be on Switch instead of that vague "find, catch, and train experience" stuff?

I don't think I'm the one being willfully ignorant, as I'm keeping my expectations in check. I don't care where the next mainline Pokemon game will be, I'll get it regardless.

No, you're not keeping your expectations in check. You are not listening to what the people, the company and the spokesperson are saying and lying to yourself.

Oregano

Because 3DS launch lineup was a disaster and the WiiU was a confusing mess at launch, comparing that to the Switch which launched with a new Zelda. It's not really that hard.

So demand is going to fall off a cliff in a way no hardware ever has?(including the Wii)

Okay sure.

EDIT:
Yep, that's the point.

Japan prefers handhelds, the West prefers gaming on a television. The Switch lets them develop games without worrying about these differences.

Iwata even said as much about two/three years ago.

mindatlarge

You've literally answered your own question. The Switch is a console that plays great games with great freedom.
Indeed. As time passes, as the system continues to hopefully shine, impress and deliver, I think the majority of perspectives will shift from "well, is it a portable, well is it a console, why does this thing even exist?" to "how did this thing, this new way to play and enjoy games, never exist?"

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
On topic:
Many are waiting for a revision of Switch, including me. The Crowbcat video was harsh :)

The Crowbcat video is also as always only representative of a very small amount of units and not the console in general. Nothing is pointing to Switch having a higher failure rate than any other consoles before it.

Fiendcode

The sooner I can download Gotta Protectors on my Switch, the better. Hell bring it to Steam and the other consoles too. Everyone deserves it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One of the many hardcore Nintendo fans is going to murder him with an Zelda Amibo, isn't he xD

On topic:
Many are waiting for a revision of Switch, including me. The Crowbcat video was harsh :)

That video quickly became the most-viewed video on his channel. I wonder what kind of damage that caused.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Didn't Iwata describe the NX as sort of a comprehensive Nintendo platform back in the day? I didn't know this whole "is switch replacing the 3DS" thing was even a question. I mean, I knew people around here would ask that from time to time but, like those still trying to argue that the Pokemon announcement wasn't for a mainline RPG, I assumed they're either trolling or have been living under a rock.

Also, I can't wrap my head around how you could say 3DS is portable but Switch is not? Battery sucks? Advertised battery life is pretty damn similar between the two. Plus, the Switch doesn't have a proprietary charging port. Switch can't fit in a pocket? I think pretty much 95% of the human population would be uncomfortable carrying a 3DS around in their clothes.

The value proposition of the Switch seems pretty dang obvious to me. It's a system you can play anywhere that quickly and easily connects to your television and has enough juice in it to run games that look good on an HDTV. It's pretty cut and dry unless you are unnecessarily obsessed with assigning a label to it that would fit any mainstream gaming hardware that came before it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sometimes I think the same about the planet Earth in general.

I KEED

image.php

I'm on to you

spelen

I'm only arguing that $300 isn't quite mass market prices for a portable system.

Honestly this argument of mass market pricing needs to be supported by evidence. Cause rn the only fact that we know is that current prices seem to be acceptable for mejority of consumers. Ppl also need to remember that massmarket pricing differes from product to product and in most cases doesn't exist at all due to lack of demand. I.e. lowering the prices may not increase current demand enough 2 even be considered a mass market price.

Sadist

From a Japanese perspective I can understand his comments.

The Switch, compared to 3DS, is a bit more bulky and less portable in that regard. the real interesting comment however is how he emphasizes that the Switch doesn't have a real hook, something to make it really different. Funny how different views work. Guess he would rather have Nintendo adding a revolutionary way of playing games like adding touchscreen or 3D free glasses.

Oregano

From a Japanese perspective I can understand his comments.

The Switch, compared to 3DS, is a bit more bulky and less portable in that regard. the real interesting comment however is how he emphasizes that the Switch doesn't have a real hook, something to make it really different. Funny how different views work. Guess he would rather have Nintendo adding a revolutionary way of playing games like adding touchscreen or 3D free glasses.

It strikes me as even odder from a Japanese perspective when it's looking like Switch is going to be a juggernaut and Splatoon 2 is looking to explode in popularity. Surely it's doing something right for Japan?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Why does the thing ever exist? Nintendo needed cool and attractive hardware out asap, to erase the WiiU's from people's heads and rebuy their confidence, and they succeeded (at least for now). It is obvious it will be their main unified console once the 3ds is done with: less costs, faster development, more games, more revenue, but as many posters already pointed out they will never come out and say the 3ds is dead until it's dead, because it will not make sense until that moment

Datschge

Considering the dire state the dedicated gaming device market is in Japan it's surprising an industry veteran of 30 years like Koshiro fails to see the point of the Switch. If that's representative for common Japanese developers I'm afraid the market is done for there.

Banned
Considering the dire state the dedicated gaming device market is in Japan it's surprising an industry veteran of 30 years like Koshiro fails to see the point of the Switch. If that's representative for common Japanese developers I'm afraid the market is done for there.
There's a reason the Japanese devs lost so much ground the last two gens. Slow to adapt, too sentimental, and too much emphasis on seniority.

Oregano

There's a reason the Japanese devs lost so much ground the last two gens. Slow to adapt, too sentimental, and too much emphasis on seniority.

That's perhaps the most concerning thing. He fundamentally doesn't understand the appeal of what is looking like Japan's next big hit. If that's at all common for Japanese developers it explains an awful lot and says not very good things about the future of the market.

Cuburt

One of the many hardcore Nintendo fans is going to murder him with an Zelda Amibo, isn't he xD

On topic:
You really believe that video represents what the console is?

Even at best, Crowbcat knew this was more of a launch issue than demonstrative of serious Switch hardware issues, as seen in the title "Nintendo Switch painful launch" and the video description:
Switch users experiencing a wide range of different issues from day one. Obviously that doesn't mean all switches are defective, but it's worth taking into consideration.

Crowbcat videos almost always focus on the negative aspects of games/hardware, because failure is more entertaining to people than balanced or positive videos, so I'm sure if you believe the Switch video, you were convinced to avoid the PS4 or the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One.

In the age of 13 inch iPads , 17 inch laptops and the fact that virtually everyone has a backpack they use on a daily basis and the Switch is somehow the breaking point for bringing it on the go? How does that make any sense?

Also the 3DS was never able to just fit in my pocket so I'm not really sure where the thought process is there. The Switch is vastly more powerful than the 3DS and functions as a home console , it is the successor to the 3DS plain and simple but Nintendo would have to be just willfully ignorant to ignore the 3DS install base and stop making games for it. It's one of the largest install bases period and making games for the foreseeable future for it makes complete sense while the Switch install base grows and gets more games on it. It just came out a few months ago , people expect it to have generationally defining games by the load this soon?

I think he is wrong and fails to see the Switch's place. Obviously this isn't a rare conclusion as it's selling like crazy and people love it. The only real complaint is that people want Nintendo to put out more games on it and they are but like any freshly launched console it'll take time to build up a library of great games. It also had one of the best launch titles even one of the best games I've ever played come with it.

People seem perplexed by what it's suppose to be when I think it's pretty obvious and frankly a brilliant move by Nintendo considering the failure the Wii U is (I loved it but it many flaws and was poorly designed for the marketplace).

Cuburt

Considering there has been positive response from Japanese devs since it was revealed, I'm not sure why people would assume one person not seeing the point of the Switch as representative of a common opinion.

DocSeuss

Did people really fit their 3DSXLs in their pockets, or do I just have really small pockets? Last console I used to put in my pocket was the GBA SP.

Also has the adoption rate of portables been smaller for women(compared to men) because most women's jeans and skirts wouldn't be able to fit even the smaller handhelds?

I fit 3DS XL in my jeans just fine

Schnozberry

Koshiro seems to be coming at it from a rather solipsistic point of view. Novelty isn't always defined by something never before seen. It can also be something familiar offered in a way that wasn't possible before.

In that sense, offering both handheld and console quality games from the same device is the gimmick. The part where Koshiro seems to get stuck is that he personally doesn't find a lot of use for it. That's fair, but there seems to be a lot of people that do, and if I were a game maker I wouldn't be rushing to dismiss something that could offer a worthwile avenue to make some money.

theJwac

That video quickly became the most-viewed video on his channel. I wonder what kind of damage that caused.
Considering I still bough 2 Switch consoles (no problems so far) and still don't see them on store shelves, I would guess that video had hardly any impact. I only have my anecdotal experience, but I believe the majority of consoles and Joy Cons were unaffected.

Either way, I'm glad there are channels like Crowbcat to keep the pressure on when a problem is widespread.

Blue-kun

I think his take on the Switch is interesting, but the most interesting part of the interview is clearly Koshiro saying he'd love to work on Zelda.

I think it's time Nintendo made a new 2D Zelda and hired Koshiro to score it, because now I need that in my life and I'd throw money at them for it. And I'm not even the biggest 2D Zelda fan!

Datschge

Considering there has been positive response from Japanese devs since it was revealed, I'm not sure why people would assume one person not seeing the point of the Switch as representative of a common opinion.
The odd thing about Nintendo and its systems is that developers nearly always have nice stuff to say about them. Even Koshiro later in that article states that he really likes Nintendo titles and would love the opportunity to collaborate. But that translating into actual support for the system and concern for a dieing market seems to be an oxymoron.

Are tablets not popular in Japan? He's talking as if something the size of the Switch isn't a reasonable thing to take with you.

Oregano

The odd thing about Nintendo and its systems is that developers nearly always have nice stuff to say about them. Even Koshiro later in that article states that he really likes Nintendo titles and would love the opportunity to collaborate. But that translating into actual support for the system and concern for a dieing market seems to be an oxymoron.

Yeah what's notable about those interviews now is how many of those developers aren't developing games for Switch(including Capcom's Tsujimoto lol).

ghibli99

I felt similar to Koshiro... until I bought one. Then everything changed, and it made me realize this was the thing I wanted before I even knew I wanted it. As a portable, going back to my 3DS feels like a multi-generational downgrade, making it kind of difficult to tolerate, which feels weird to say since visuals aren't at the top of my list of important things, particularly for handhelds. Since I carry all of my devices in a case of some kind, the whole "fit it in your pocket" thing doesn't apply to me either. That's important to me for my phone and keys... not a gaming device or tablet. But yeah, I don't agree that the Switch's existence makes no sense. At all.

On topic:
Crowbat is good at getting a bunch of videos to make things look worse than they are. I was hesitant to buy a PS4 pro after his video on that but it's been perfectly fine for me on both.
I'd imagine it caused a lot of damage but the thing is still selling out and the video itself is fairly old so who knows

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Honestly, back when I first predicted the NX being a hybrid, I assumed it would replace both the WiiU AND 3DS.

I'm actually wondering why the 3DS still exists if anything. But yeah, I'd expect revisions of the Switch.

ZOONAMI

I'm pissed about no 2d Metroid on switch. I hope they bring it out for switch a few months after 3ds version.

timshundo

I think he's right. Switch isn't throwing anything fundamentally new at the industry, just a nice way to play the games we already know and love. He has a vision for Switch's future which seems obvious (improve it's handheld functionality and lower it's price), yet Nintendo is vocally shooting that idea down and not offering up any alternatives, in terms of how Nintendo sees the Switch growing and changing in the future. That lack of an answer (and Nintendo shooting down his assumption, even) makes him question the fundamental nature of the Switch.

Same sort of thing happened with Shinji Mikami and the original Xbox (which led to him becoming a GameCube-exclusive developer). Mikami asked Microsoft "What's Xbox's philosophy?" and Microsoft couldn't adequately answer that question, so Mikami walked away.

As a Switch owner I agree with these points. I will say though that my Switch's strongpoint has been having 2-player capabilities automatically wherever I go. I don't have to rely on others bringing their 3DS if I bring mine over for us to play together. And then all i have to do for 4 player action is bring two more tiny joycons. I think thats a value prop.

Plus its the only way I can access Nintendo IP, which deserves a lot of credit. I think its multiplayer capabilities, versatility, portability, and Nintendo IP are enough to ensure its success. Whatever comes after Switch tho is really gonna have to push the envelope.

I like the idea of a Switch 2 that retains a similar form factor but is powerful enough to be a competent VR powerhouse to get VR into more peoples hands. A big downside to VR right now I think is that its an accessory you have to hook up to a huge box to power it. If I could slide a switch-like console into a visor and have that just be it, paired with Zelda/Metroid/what have you, with all the offerings of the switch, that would finally shift me into the VR market.

And yes I know Samsung already does this with their phones. I'm also sure their phones are powerful enough to run a game like Breath of the Wild too, but no one's flocking towards the Galaxy 8 for a profound gaming experience and I don't think I need to go into detail why.

Plum

Honestly, back when I first predicted the NX being a hybrid, I assumed it would replace both the WiiU AND 3DS.

I'm actually wondering why the 3DS still exists if anything. But yeah, I'd expect revisions of the Switch.

It's pretty simple. The 3DS still has 60m+ units out there and, IIRC, it was still one of the highest growing consoles in 2016. They're gonna throw a few outsourced projects (Metroid, Pikmin) and a final Pokemon version its way, no point in abandoning it entirely.

Datschge

i wonder if this means we shouldn't expect Ancient games or Protect Me knight sequel on this system
With 15 employees they are essentially an indie dev. Maybe one of them gets a Switch and suggests a port for the eShop.

Are tablets not popular in Japan? He's talking as if something the size of the Switch isn't a reasonable thing to take with you.
The best selling 3DS, LL (XL outside of Japan), even has a comparable size.

I'm actually wondering why the 3DS still exists if anything.
Cheaper and readily available = better fit for the younger audience.

Plum

It's pretty simple. The 3DS still has 60m+ units out there and, IIRC, it was still one of the highest growing consoles in 2016. They're gonna throw a few outsourced projects (Metroid, Pikmin), a hardware revision and a final Pokemon version its way, no point in abandoning it entirely.

asagami_

Banned

The upcoming 3DS games are Nintendo leftover projects, which started before Switch being a thing, third party games and Atlus games (they are... their own thing).

I still don't understand the confusion about Switch and 3DS. Nintendo has been crystal clear in their messaging. The Switch is not a replacement for t he 3DS and will not sunset the 3DS.

The Switch is a home console that can be portable.

The 3DS is a portable console.

The difference might seem small, but it isn't.

a. There's an entire eco-system built around the portability of the 3DS that is likely not coming to switch. From street passes to the mini collect-a-thon games that Nintendo fosters on the 3DS, it's made to be small, cheap, on the move, and filled with games marketed towards a very specific demographic that values those qualities. These are usually teenage and younger if i were to guess.

b. The switch is built to be the full console experience that isn't locked to your home television. Play it there, finish it elsewhere at your leisure. While it *CAN* play the types of games you normally find on 3DS (should they get released on SWITCH), the Switch is Nintendo's 'Premium' high end device. Start your game at home, finish it on the plane or the hotel room of your business trip. The games skew a little older so pass the controllers to your child or wife for light-hearted co-op or competitive party play.

Realistically, you're playing your 3DS games for hours, stuffing it in your pocket or backpack, and scurrying off to school for you pokemon or other such adventures.

Conversely, you're playign your Switch between moments or as a group experience.

Why would Nintendo kill the 3DS? I'd still give my nieces and nephews 3DS and 2DS devices today. Switch? NO WAY. they're not breaking that....

I don't get the confusion at all.

-EDIT - I'd even say that they're two different audiences that have *some* crossover. An invested 3DS owner may want a Switch, but a Switch owner might not want a 3DS. This has nothing to do with the games looking better on the switch as much as it's about two totally different experiences offered by hardware that serves two different purposes.

I still don't understand the confusion about Switch and 3DS. Nintendo has been crystal clear in their messaging. The Switch is not a replacement for t he 3DS and will not sunset the 3DS.

a. There's an entire eco-system built around the portability of the 3DS that is likely not coming to switch. From street passes to the mini collect-a-thon games that Nintendo fosters on the 3DS, it's made to be small, cheap, on the move, and filled with games marketed towards a very specific demographic that values those qualities. These are usually teenage and younger if i were to guess.

b. The switch is built to be the full console experience that isn't locked to your home television. Play it there, finish it elsewhere at your leisure. While it *CAN* play the types of games you normally find on 3DS (should they get released on SWITCH), the Switch is Nintendo's 'Premium' high end device. Start your game at home, finish it on the plane or the hotel room of your business trip. The games skew a little older so pass the controllers to your child or wife for light-hearted co-op or competitive party play.

Realistically, you're playing your 3DS games for hours, stuffing it in your pocket or backpack, and scurrying off to school for you pokemon or other such adventures.

Conversely, you're playign your Switch between moments or as a group experience.

Why would Nintendo kill the 3DS? I'd still give my nieces and nephews 3DS and 2DS devices today. Switch? NO WAY. they're not breaking that....

-EDIT - I'd even say that they're two different audiences that have *some* crossover. An invested 3DS owner may want a Switch, but a Switch owner might not want a 3DS. This has nothing to do with the games looking better on the switch as much as it's about two totally different experiences offered by hardware that serves two different purposes.
Nah, the 3DS doesn't have another 2 years in it or anything. Basically nothing announced is made internally by Nintendo. Even GameFreak has Ultra but are working on the Switch game.
They say it's not a portable replacement but that's mostly because they desperately needed a Wii U replacement while the 3DS was selling fine enough it's not because of some philosophy of "this is a home console you can take on the go"

Josh7289

Edit: Nevermind, I was remembering wrong.

On topic: I think he's right that it has to become smaller to truly replace the 3DS, but there's nothing stopping Nintendo from doing that in a couple years.

B.K.

I definitely agree with him as far as making it lighter. I got a Switch a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I had ever seen or held one. I was surprised how heavy it was. It's heavier than a 1000 series Vita. I think I'm getting carpal tunnel in both hands. The weight of the system and the fact that it's completely flat on the back side with no good place to grip it makes it really hard to hold for me. After about five minutes, my hands and wrists start hurting and going numb.

Yeah I have gone backwards and forwards over how I feel about this, but the home console messaging is pretty widespread.
Nintendo's own expectations for the system seem very reserved, saying they had to raise their internal forecast to 10m, what was it before? Whatever it is or a lower forecast than either the ones for Wii U or 3DS first year. Does this seem like healthy expectation for the ultimate single platform machine?, were they banking on it bursting into life by year 2-3?
Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

nynt9

Were you around for the DS? They said it would be a third pillar and wouldn't replace the GBA, but the moment it got successful they dropped the GBA. You can see that happening now. The Pokemon company is moving on to the switch after Ultra. They announced zero first party games for the 3DS. Their output will be focused on the switch now. Third parties will continue to support the 3ds for a while because it's big in Japan, but that's only a matter of time, and Japan has a history of supporting handhelds way past their death.

One thing that half made me feel this way was the announcement of Metroid Returns for 3DS.

The real promise of Switch, to me at least, is that it'll let Nintendo pool their resources - handheld and home console - into the same platform. The idea being that the would-be 3DS library, your Professors Layton and New Supers Marios Brother and indeed Metroid Returns, join the main line Marios and Zeldas on the same system by default.

It would make one system the go-to place, and allow people to potentially kick back with a Phoenix Wright or... Hotel Dusk or something on the telly, should they choose.

But that would have to be communicated plainly by Nintendo's actions and inspire other developers to follow suit, and it's clearly not Nintendo's intention at this juncture. So we still see the split between the consoles for no reason at all, and third parties will view the Switch as the "stationary" console where they have to make more substantial, more expensive games - which is not true, ideally. Sure, install base for the 3DS is plenty motivation, but I think the Switch would absorb that install base as price gets slashed and it it becomes clear that it's the next Nintendo handheld thing.

If there's a successor to the 3DS in addition to the Switch in a couple of years, I think my head will just detach from my body and hover into the atmosphere from pure bewilderment.

So in a way, I suppose I agree with some of what Yuzo is saying. I just didn't expect to, and I guess there's still time to prove the notion wrong.
I'm pretty sure what we're seeing are stragglers from when Nintendo didn't know the Switch's ridiculous selling power

Dehnus

He has a point about the price, the moment Nintendo can introduce as "Switch Portable", that comes without a dock and just connects via cable that splits into HDMI and USB.. for like 199, that is when this thing will SLAUGHTER the PS4 and Xbox one. As then parents will get it for their kids as a toy. They just need to start cutting costs, let's hope they can so that we can get some glorious competition in this generation. :D.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Were you around for the DS? They said it would be a third pillar and wouldn't replace the GBA, but the moment it got successful they dropped the GBA. You can see that happening now. The Pokemon company is moving on to the switch after Ultra. They announced zero first party games for the 3DS. Their output will be focused on the switch now. Third parties will continue to support the 3ds for a while because it's big in Japan, but that's only a matter of time, and Japan has a history of supporting handhelds way past their death.

Nintendo pretty much has released all relevant IPs on 3DS - there isnt much reason to continue supporting it with new games when most of their back catalog evergreen titles keep selling. If a person buys a 3DS in 2017 they will still pick up games like MK7, ALB oder Fire Emblem Awakening that were released years ago. The Switch cant play 3DS games, thats a big difference compared to the GBA/DS situation. Switch is also much more expensive than the cheapest 2DS/3DS version.

Even with intern first party development slowing down on 3DS, business wise there is no reason to kill the 3DS anytime soon. The markets, target group and prices are different enough to keep both going for now. Once Switch enter the 3DS price are and Nintendo releases a new Switch revision....then we will see the 3DS being pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom