• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Been waiting for this! Thank you for all the updates and hard work on this Robert!

Looking forward to buying Day 1!

Trailer thread is here.

So excited. On a media blackout for this game so three question: is there a release date? Does the game have cross save support? When does the LRG preorder start?

Summer 2016.
Cross-buy, yes. Cross-save, not sure. PS4 & Vita use a different save setup, but I'll try to get it to work.
Not sure when the LRG preorder will start, but the LRG release will be after the digital one (so we can make sure to get any launch bug fixes in).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Pixel-art fashioned building scaling scenes will always remind me of Ranger-X/Ex-Ranza... if this is intentional, all the better! ;-)

Definitely looking great. I'll probably end up waiting for the XB1 port (which better have awesome achievement artwork that I can use for backgrounds!), but it's continually great to see something like this releasing in this day and age. Hearing you'll have a SuperShiggySong in there too makes it even better! :)

Kudos on the great trailer!

Hey! Any news on when we might be expecting a release date?

Last known information from Robert was Summer 2016. There have been no Kickstarter announcements and I'm sure he would have mentioned it in here so I assume they are working hard on finishing it and nailing down a date :)

slash000

Zeboyd Games
We are working really hard on a big beta demo for backers. We figured we would make that the next backer update soon rather than a brief "working on beta demo" post followed by a more detailed post about the demo shortly after. I am uncomfortable waiting so long between updates but I suppose this makes sense. In any case progress continues unabated.

aravuus

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but.. A big beta demo, this close to release, for backers who're getting the game anyway? Why?

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but.. A big beta demo, this close to release, for backers who're getting the game anyway? Why?

We simply offered it as a backer reward tier as there was interest in it. A lot of backers like to see how the game is made and the changes along the way. This will also be an opportunity for us to test and get feedback on a variety of PC hardware configurations so that if there are issues we can fix them now rather than at or post launch.

It also gives people a more substantial look at what to expect in general without needing to be at an expo we attend, and the info that comes out will get people more interested in the game.

aravuus

We simply offered it as a backer reward tier as there was interest in it. A lot of backers like to see how the game is made and the changes along the way. This will also be an opportunity for us to test and get feedback on a variety of PC hardware configurations so that if there are issues we can fix them now rather than at or post launch.

It also gives people a more substantial look at what to expect in general without needing to be at an expo we attend, and the info that comes out will get people more interested in the game.

Yeah, fair enough.

I'm only impatient cause I'm so excited to finally get to play the game myself soon lol

e: correction, I only sound impatient, but I guess I edited the post too late

I'm guessing they're aiming at September 20th. If the backer beta is out in a week or two, that will give them about a month of time for feedback and implementation, while still hitting 'Summer 2016'.

edit: The game is already a year and a half late guys, letting it cook is in everyone's best interests.

Fisty

I'm guessing they're aiming at September 20th. If the backer beta is out in a week or two, that will give them about a month of time for feedback and implementation, while still hitting 'Summer 2016'.

edit: The game is already a year and a half late guys, letting it cook is in everyone's best interests.

Agreed, the combat system was great but looks like it took a ton of work to implement and optimize. I have no doubt that Zeboyd wants it perfect which will only pay off in the end, regardless of how "late" the game ends up being

I'll be honest, when I back a Kickstarter my inherent belief for when it comes out is "eventually" so I honestly never care about delays or not meeting the day somebody set before the project had substantial work done. I know it bugs others but people need realistic expectations; the same shit happens all the time in the industry with delays but even the games that don't get apparent ones simply are less transparent about it. The game that came out when it said probably got said at a time after a thousand internal delays.

It's Zeboyd; the game's coming out and it's going to be good so I'm indifferent as to how long it takes.

Shizuka

We're all excited, no one is pressuring Zeboyd Games, we just want to know if they'll make it to the release window or not.

Brocken

Banned
Wow, never seen this game before but Suikoden's mention in the title caught my attention

Someone know how is the bsttle system ?

We're all excited, no one is pressuring Zeboyd Games, we just want to know if they'll make it to the release window or not.

I never said anyone was. Just said I don't care cause I'm used to it and don't expect it to ever be an accurate date on Kickstarter. And I say that without any disappointment, having backed like...90 projects.

Working hard on the game. When we have more to announce, we'll post here (and Twitter & Kickstarter).

Someone know how is the battle system ?

Turn-based with some twists.
Here's some combat footage (Note, this is from a while ago so it's missing some effects): https://youtu.be/2xwRduJKJwc?t=4m26s

Here's some tutorial text about the combat system:

"Basic Tutorial 1! Style and hyper!"
Performing different moves in combat will increase your style (the percentage below your health). More style equals more damage & ailment success!
Enemies gain style too! The longer the battle lasts, the more dangerous they become!
Besides style, characters gain a hyper point each turn. When a character reaches their max hyper amount, they go into hyper mode!
In hyper mode, your damage & ailment success is doubled! Plan ahead and make sure you have a powerful ability ready to take advantage of hyper mode!"

"Basic Tutorial 2! Recharge! Abilities, programs, and items!"
Most character abilities can be used once and then they're disabled. Use a defend command like Rest to recharge your character abilities!
Besides their own abilities, characters can also use items and programs. Items and programs recharge at the start of battle, but can't be recharged mid-battle.
Items are shared by the party. Search for item treasure chests carefully to gain new items!
Programs are attached to shields. Equip the right shield and if your hackitude stat is high enough, you'll be able to use its programs!
In the main menu, you can equip abilities, items, and shields. You can also read detailed information about different abilities, programs, and items.

"Basic Tutorial 3! Desperation!"
Normally, losing all HP knocks a character for the rest of the battle. Usually, but not always!
If you have enough style points (50 on most difficulties), you can survive with negative HP! This is called Desperation mode! Amazing isn't it!
In desperation mode, damage is increased but self-HP restoration is reduced.
If a character is still in Desperation mode at the end of their turn, they get knocked out! Heal quickly or go out with a bang!

Brocken

Banned
Working hard on the game. When we have more to announce, we'll post here (and Twitter & Kickstarter).

Turn-based with some twists.
Here's some combat footage (Note, this is from a while ago so it's missing some effects): https://youtu.be/2xwRduJKJwc?t=4m26s

Here's some tutorial text about the combat system:

"Basic Tutorial 1! Style and hyper!"
Performing different moves in combat will increase your style (the percentage below your health). More style equals more damage & ailment success!
Enemies gain style too! The longer the battle lasts, the more dangerous they become!
Besides style, characters gain a hyper point each turn. When a character reaches their max hyper amount, they go into hyper mode!
In hyper mode, your damage & ailment success is doubled! Plan ahead and make sure you have a powerful ability ready to take advantage of hyper mode!"

"Basic Tutorial 2! Recharge! Abilities, programs, and items!"
Most character abilities can be used once and then they're disabled. Use a defend command like Rest to recharge your character abilities!
Besides their own abilities, characters can also use items and programs. Items and programs recharge at the start of battle, but can't be recharged mid-battle.
Items are shared by the party. Search for item treasure chests carefully to gain new items!
Programs are attached to shields. Equip the right shield and if your hackitude stat is high enough, you'll be able to use its programs!
In the main menu, you can equip abilities, items, and shields. You can also read detailed information about different abilities, programs, and items.

"Basic Tutorial 3! Desperation!"
Normally, losing all HP knocks a character for the rest of the battle. Usually, but not always!
If you have enough style points (50 on most difficulties), you can survive with negative HP! This is called Desperation mode! Amazing isn't it!
In desperation mode, damage is increased but self-HP restoration is reduced.
If a character is still in Desperation mode at the end of their turn, they get knocked out! Heal quickly or go out with a bang!
. Very interesting, thank you.

I definitely put the game on my radar

So it's a matter of weeks now right?

Not saying anything specific until we actually have a release date, but we're getting there!

Besides getting our ESRB stuff submitted & approved, we also recently submitted all our Steam store page stuff (store page assets, descriptions, etc, not the game itself). When that gets approved by Valve, the page will go up. Not sure if it'll allow people to preorder the game (you can currently preorder on the Humble Store), but if nothing else, it'll mean the game will start showing up in searches. :)

Unless I run into some nasty bug that I can't fix immediately, I'm going to upload a build of the game onto Steam with the start of the game playable later today. Will get some feedback from friends & fellow devs who I've given codes out to before making it available to Kickstarter beta backers, but that shouldn't take too long. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom