• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're the second person who has complained about a difficulty spike there so I'll take a look at it.

Note, the Pick Me Up skill doesn't prevent you from being poisoned again, but does reduce the amount of damage you take from poison.

Thanks. I thought it worked like ailment resistance where it increased the amount of ailment damage needed to be poisoned, reducing damage instead means my strategy was a little sub optimal. I haven't tried everything either yet, I've got a strategy with a different shield arrangement I need to give a shot.

Double posting so the bug report in this, isn't missed.

Tinkered around with my equip and strategy a bit and pulled a win. It was by far the hardest fight up until the
Overseer, which it looks like is going to take me a few attempts as well (probably because I haven't actually cleared all the other encounters, so I'm likely a tad underlevelled and underequipped). Also I think the for the Klawes needs work, Had a few interesting things here
1) Enough Klawes summoned to grab everyone at which point its effectively game over.
2) Multiple Klawes grab one person
3) A Klaw grab a person who was already unconscious.

Also on the technical side when I quit back to the menu by selecting Game Over after deciding to give up on the
Overseer
fight for the night, my controller stopped working , and after that no input worked in game (keyboard, controller (even if unplugged and replugged) , I had to Task Manager and kill the program to end the game.

Double posting so the bug report in this, isn't missed.

Tinkered around with my equip and strategy a bit and pulled a win. It was by far the hardest fight up until the
Overseer, which it looks like is going to take me a few attempts as well (probably because I haven't actually cleared all the other encounters, so I'm likely a tad underlevelled and underequipped). Also I think the for the Klawes needs work, Had a few interesting things here
1) Enough Klawes summoned to grab everyone at which point its effectively game over.
2) Multiple Klawes grab one person
3) A Klaw grab a person who was already unconscious.

Also on the technical side when I quit back to the menu by selecting Game Over after deciding to give up on the
Overseer
fight for the night, my controller stopped working , and after that no input worked in game (keyboard, controller (even if unplugged and replugged) , I had to Task Manager and kill the program to end the game.

Did any of those bugs happen BEFORE you tried restarting the battle? You're not the only one who has found bugs there and I'm trying to narrow down if it's a general bug or restart-specific.

Did any of those bugs happen BEFORE you tried restarting the battle? You're not the only one who has found bugs there and I'm trying to narrow down if it's a general bug or restart-specific.

Just a Klawe grabbing the last conscious person after their target went unconscious IIRC (but not all conscious people if there was more than one), the others were after retrying. I'm going to do a rematch today and I'll pay more attention.

ETA-
Gave it another shot (without rety) but didn't win. Seems like the overseer can summon up to 3 drones ? Things go bad very quickly if someone gets knocked out since the free drone captures the remaining party member. But there was no grabbing of unconscious / double grabbing.

3 drones might be a little much since getting clawed permanently disables party members and makes them require healing. The party is really badly suited to it too (Dave doesn't have a reusable attack, and Chahn has the only Multi-Heal (which takes 2 turns) further compounded by only Chahn and Alyssa getting multi-attacks. I think this may be a result of Heroine though, since the drones increased health both raises the duration a party member is disabled and greatly increases the chance of 3 drones being present at once. The lack of Multi-attacks means it's very hard to get momentum back at that point, especially if it's Dave left.

And its not possible to do an Overseer rushdown on Heroine since it has too many HP.

Also I notice the Hyper staff doesn't work on the Overseer fight (Alyssa doesn't start Hyper and require 3 turns to Hyper). Is that intended ? May be that I should try a different stave if it is.

ETA2 - Found a second multi-heal at that point (Alyssa with her Reinforcing Rod and the Adventurer shield).
But it's still not possible to keep up sufficient offensive momentum, since you often have only one person (and if that's Dave , after he's used his Void Shield shot, you're done). The battle is also effectively over as soon as one person is unconscious. Going to keep tinkering with my equipment and strategy though.

Adjusted my tactics again and pulled out a win this time. I think it took me fewer tries as the
Poison Ant + Drone
battle but it's hard to say since the inability to retry (due to it glitching) and to quit on loss in that battle (since it disables input) makes it hard to tell, every retry requiring task manager is a bit of a drag.

Some other troughts:
I'm rather impressed by how low damage equipment can still be very useful due to it's effects (the Stat Stick Reinforcing Rod enabling Mass Heal was a game changer). Which abilities are actually affected by the damage of your weapon ?

It'd be nice if it was more clear what damage abilities did (eg does Flood do more or less damage than Drown per target) ? I assumed less since I'd expect Flood to replace it otherwise judging by how the Defend abilities upgrade.

It'd also be nice to be able to see what Buffs/ Debuffs are in effect and their remaining duration (Ailments are very visible (and are permanent or until triggered), but things like Counter, +Elemental Damage, Damage Up , Focus , etc don't seem to have clear indicators)

The Style system makes it very hard to judge how close to winning you are, since damage escalates so much. So the difference between utter defeat and victory can be a single turn. I suspect I'd get better at judging this as I played more, since apart from the 2 fights I mentioned the Beta is fairly easy you don't get a good feel for it.

I'm very impressed over all , though the difficulty curve needs some work from my perspective.

It'd be nice if it was more clear what damage abilities did (eg does Flood do more or less damage than Drown per target) ? I assumed less since I'd expect Flood to replace it otherwise judging by how the Defend abilities upgrade.

You can check out ability power levels in the ability menu. The Flood description is currently incorrect, but it should say 90% Water damage (compared to Drown's 150% Water damage).

Weapon power affects damage of all abilities & heals. Weapon power does not affect ailment success or abilities with a set effect (like buffs).

It'd also be nice to be able to see what Buffs/ Debuffs are in effect and their remaining duration (Ailments are very visible (and are permanent or until triggered), but things like Counter, +Elemental Damage, Damage Up , Focus , etc don't seem to have clear indicators)

We thought that might make things too cluttered, but you're not the first person who has asked for this so we'll probably add this.

Hyper Staff stuff

This is a bug. Not quite sure what causes it since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's on my to-do list.

I figured out the issue causing the game to take forever to boot up. Turns out that Unity 5 audio defaults to decompress on load and when you have well over an hour of high quality music having it all decompress simultaneously is very bad. After I changed the settings, my PC went from 45-50 secs to boot up to around 2 secs.

Burt

I figured out the issue causing the game to take forever to boot up. Turns out that Unity 5 audio defaults to decompress on load and when you have well over an hour of high quality music having it all decompress simultaneously is very bad. After I changed the settings, my PC went from 45-50 secs to boot up to around 2 secs.

vYtvpWp.gif

THE-JUV

any update on whether this will be releasing soon? really looking forward to this one and would love to preorder on PSN as well.

A bit disappointing that it's not coming out this year but I completely understand the logic. Just don't release it in April or I'll never play it.

j_rocca42

A bit disappointing that it's not coming out this year but I completely understand the logic. Just don't release it in April or I'll never play it.
Disapointing for my own selfishness. I wanna play it. But I say take as long as you need to make a quality game!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Disapointing for my own selfishness. I wanna play it. But I say take as long as you need to make a quality game!

To be fair, it's not just you. The game is releasing over 2 years later than they initially planned.

Fortunately, it looks like it should be worth the wait. Definitely among my most anticipated games right now.

Pharaun

I'm disappointed because I want to play this game like yesterday, but it's completely understandable. Keep up the good work and Im eagerly awaiting the chance to play this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This and Jenny LeClue will make 2017 damn gooood already.
I'm on for that one as well. Also Shantae Half-Genie Hero, Steel Assault, and Yooka-Laylee (and some year... Bloodstained)

Y6BNnjt.gif

I get it. Love you guys. <3

kevin1025

Banned
Keep at it, and I'll certainly be there when it launches. I've loved your previous games, and this one looks to top them by far!

Burt

I do appreciate the heads up that it isn't coming out this year, rather than keeping everyone hoping. Q1 is pretty stuffed too, but all you need is one good week to launch in.

The game is releasing over 2 years later than they initially planned.

To be honest, I don't know what we were thinking when we thought we could make a game that was bigger & more complex than any of our previous games AND learn and create a brand new RPG engine (our previous games used XNA, CSH uses Unity) in only slightly more time than our past games took. And then my wife & I discovered we were having twins soon after the Kickstarter ended which made things even more difficult.

Hopefully the wait will be worth it though. It's much better than our past games.

kevin1025

Banned
To be honest, I don't know what we were thinking when we thought we could make a game that was bigger & more complex than any of our previous games AND learn and create a brand new RPG engine (our previous games used XNA, CSH uses Unity) in only slightly more time than our past games took. And then my wife & I discovered we were having twins soon after the Kickstarter ended which made things even more difficult.

Hopefully the wait will be worth it though. It's much better than our past games.

Everything I've seen looks well worth it. Expanding on what you've accomplished before takes time, and if it's even a sliver better than your past games, I'll be more than happy!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well you guys said this was your dream project, right? Take all the time to make it the existential gem you want it to be. I believe in passion projects and that is why I occasionally Kickstart things. Entering into a sense of contract and deadline is, to me, moving into the consumer corporatism dynamic that started killing off what we love about these kind of projects to need Kickstarter in the first place. Art will always have a need for benefactors, not just patrons.

What are your favorite RPG magazine ads & box arts? Looking for ideas for some Cosmic Star Heroine marketing stuff. :)

Also, favorite 16-bit era RPG instruction books would be helpful since we want to make the Cosmic Star Heroine instruction book awesome (will be available for free digitally & a physical copy should come with the Limited Run Games release).

DeviantBoi

My Kickstarter experience in a nutshell:

Did I back it? -------> No -------> Quick Release
|
|
V
Yes
|
|
V
Forever in Development

cireza

I like the western covers from Phantasy Star II and IV. And yes, I know that they are not very faithful, but they have a strange atmosphere that I love.

For the booklet, something in the style of the Working Designs games would be perfect in my opinion :)

Ok Robert

I'll graciously accept this delay if you let me change my backer version to the Nintendo Switch :p

Totally understandable your reasoning behind the delay. Its not like I dont have enough to play right now as it is

cireza

Of course, the JP boxarts of the Phantasy Star games are fantastic.

I also really like the first generation of Genesis boxarts. Things like Ghouls'n Ghosts, Golden Axe, Mystic Defender, Alisia Dragoon etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom