• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

I dont' know about the best, but a fun thing for your artist is to spoof the hilariously awful UB box cover of FF15's poses and circle it around when the game launches :p

Cornbread78

shining-force.jpg

right side image

wrowa

I'm a patient waiter and I don't mind the delay, but I'm not convinced releasing a minor RPG like this in December would be worse than releasing it in Q1 2017 considering how many JRPGs are coming out between DQVIII in January and Persona 5 in April.

I'm a patient waiter and I don't mind the delay, but I'm not convinced releasing a minor RPG like this in December would be worse than releasing it in Q1 2017 considering how many JRPGs are coming out between DQVIII in January and Persona 5 in April.

December's just a bad time to release any game unless you're a AAA game with a massive marketing budget (and even those rarely release past the first week of December).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man that link to all the old WD box arts just gave me the biggest nostalgia rush.

Anything that looks like Shining Force or Lunar box art gets my approval immediately. Those games still look amazing today IMO.

StereoVsn

December's just a bad time to release any game unless you're a AAA game with a massive marketing budget (and even those rarely release past the first week of December).
Q1 2017 is very unusual at least on console. There are so many Japanese games coming out in the first couple of months that pretty much anything non major will be lost there.

It's an unfortunate situation all around to be sure. Also, at least on Steam, releasing immediately post Fall sale (if doable) would allow say 10-20% sale come Christmas sale on steam.

Console I am not sure about but again, just look at that release list for Q1.

Q1 2017 is very unusual at least on console. There are so many Japanese games coming out in the first couple of months that pretty much anything non major will be lost there.

It's an unfortunate situation all around to be sure. Also, at least on Steam, releasing immediately post Fall sale (if doable) would allow say 10-20% sale come Christmas sale on steam.

Console I am not sure about but again, just look at that release list for Q1.

I guess I don't see Q1 as being that bad. Persona 5 got delayed. There are some AAA games like Horizon & RE7, but I don't think there's much overlap between those and our game. DQ8 is an enhanced port on a system that we're not targeting. Stuff like Tales & Kingdom Hearts are $50-$60 Action/RPGs and have pretty insular fanbases at this point (is anyone planning on getting KH 2.8 who isn't already a diehard KH fan?). Even if someone who is interested in CSH wants to get some of the other games, as a $15 download title, our game doesn't exactly break the bank and would make a fine impulse purchase. And we have an advantage in that we're going to be on both consoles & PC at the same time which few games (and especially few JRPGs) do.

The fact of the matter is that there are so many games coming out and release dates change so frequently that trying to find the perfect week is a fool's errand. Pretty much all you can do is avoid the giants in your genre (which in our case would be FFXV, Persona 5, and Pokemon) and leave it at that.

And honestly, we don't need to sell a ton of copies to be successful - if we sold 50k-100k copies in the first month, I'd be very pleased and that doesn't seem impossible given that the game will be on both PSN & PC and has a low price.

Well if your game is at PSX then you could have leveraged that by starting with an awesome trailer, and then saying, "It's on PSN right now!" I think the people that care about this type of game are going to buy it when it's available if the price is right, even if that means they don't play it right away. A $15-20 game is impulse buy territory. The reason $60 games dont sell that well in December is because that's asking for much more of an investment from the customer after after a big holiday sales rush. $15 is no big deal. I'm not sure what Q1 is going to buy you in terms of exposure because there will be no more big events after PSX for a long time and people will be talking about the AAA games then. In any case I'm still looking forward to playing it and hope you find success with this game.

Fisty

I don't mind the wait, release when it's ready. I'll be looking for a Vita demo at PSX though ;)

EDIT: and try to get into a Sale program or something on PSN, they seem to help a lot of devs

StereoVsn

Well if your game is at PSX then you could have leveraged that by starting with an awesome trailer, and then saying, "It's on PSN right now!" I think the people that care about this type of game are going to buy it when it's available if the price is right, even if that means they don't play it right away. A $15-20 game is impulse buy territory. The reason $60 games dont sell that well in December is because that's asking for much more of an investment from the customer after after a big holiday sales rush. $15 is no big deal. I'm not sure what Q1 is going to buy you in terms of exposure because there will be no more big events after PSX for a long time and people will be talking about the AAA games then. In any case I'm still looking forward to playing it and hope you find success with this game.
Yeah I agree. Plus Q1 has the issue of time impacting potential buyers as their time will be taken up with anything from new Miku to Gravity Rush 2 to Yakuza 0 to KH to Tales of and so on. It's not that the game is just competing for wallets (as mentioned $15 is impulse buy) but rather anyone interested in JRPGs will most likely be playing several games during Q1 as it is.

December has nothing on the other hand plus visibility during PSX and possible promotion during Steam Christmas sale. Well I guess FF XV is right at the tale end of Nov.

Edit: For the sale price, IMO $20 initial price with 20-25% initial sale could bring great visibility vs just straight $15. Then again there was Undertale and Stardew Valley which just didn't care about stuff like that.

Linkura

If you're going to do Q1 2017, I'd do early January or wait until mid-February. Late January is just too much competition. DQ8, Tales, Yakuza 0, KH, RE7, probably more I'm forgetting... Chances are most people interested in CSH are going to be buying 1 or more of those games.

Link Man

Banned
What are your favorite RPG magazine ads & box arts? Looking for ideas for some Cosmic Star Heroine marketing stuff. :)

Also, favorite 16-bit era RPG instruction books would be helpful since we want to make the Cosmic Star Heroine instruction book awesome (will be available for free digitally & a physical copy should come with the Limited Run Games release).

There can be only one:

Dor5ouJ.jpg

jacobeid

Banned
I guess I don't see Q1 as being that bad. Persona 5 got delayed. There are some AAA games like Horizon & RE7, but I don't think there's much overlap between those and our game. DQ8 is an enhanced port on a system that we're not targeting. Stuff like Tales & Kingdom Hearts are $50-$60 Action/RPGs and have pretty insular fanbases at this point (is anyone planning on getting KH 2.8 who isn't already a diehard KH fan?). Even if someone who is interested in CSH wants to get some of the other games, as a $15 download title, our game doesn't exactly break the bank and would make a fine impulse purchase. And we have an advantage in that we're going to be on both consoles & PC at the same time which few games (and especially few JRPGs) do.

The fact of the matter is that there are so many games coming out and release dates change so frequently that trying to find the perfect week is a fool's errand. Pretty much all you can do is avoid the giants in your genre (which in our case would be FFXV, Persona 5, and Pokemon) and leave it at that.

And honestly, we don't need to sell a ton of copies to be successful - if we sold 50k-100k copies in the first month, I'd be very pleased and that doesn't seem impossible given that the game will be on both PSN & PC and has a low price.

Wait, this will only be $15? I was going to buy it anyway but now I really don't have any excuse. Q1 Japanese gaming heaven for me.

So have you found any benefits from ps4p? Gimme that 4k snes Sprites lol.

I haven't tested on PS4P, but I'm guessing all it'll do is drop our already fast load times to basically nothing.

DQ8, Tales, Yakuza 0, KH, RE7, probably more I'm forgetting... Chances are most people interested in CSH are going to be buying 1 or more of those games.

Admittedly, I'm behind on games since I haven't been buying new stuff, but I'm not really excited about any of those games. DQ8 is one of my all-time favorite games so I'll get it eventually, but I don't need to replay it anytime soon (and I'm more in the mood right now to replay the older games). Tales has always been a "Play when you're bored" sort of series for me & the other games are complete passes from me. But yeah, I don't really view any of these as direct competition - different prices, different platforms, different age ratings, and/or different subgenres.

The idea of doing a "Surprise! It's out!" release at PSX is nice and dramatic, but surprise launches have a tendency to go badly and that's even assuming that Sony, great as they've been, would give a small developer like us the proper promotion to make a surprise launch worthwhile. But really, the most important thing is that we gotta finish the game and make sure it's nice and bug-free. Once that's done, we're unlikely to wait very long before we release.

Linkura

Admittedly, I'm behind on games since I haven't been buying new stuff, but I'm not really excited about any of those games. DQ8 is one of my all-time favorite games so I'll get it eventually, but I don't need to replay it anytime soon (and I'm more in the mood right now to replay the older games). Tales has always been a "Play when you're bored" sort of series for me & the other games are complete passes from me. But yeah, I don't really view any of these as direct competition - different prices, different platforms, different age ratings, and/or different subgenres.

Just because you wouldn't buy them doesn't mean that other people interested in your game won't. Late January is loaded for me and it is for a lot of other people. I want CSH to succeed as it looks fucking awesome, but I'm worried about the possible timeframe for release as I'm worried it'll get overshadowed. Looks like I'm not the only one with this concern either.

Just because you wouldn't buy them doesn't mean that other people interested in your game won't. Late January is loaded for me and it is for a lot of other people.

Sure, but these days there's always heavy competition no matter when you release. February has Nioh, Berserk, Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honour, and other games. March has the Nintendo Switch launch. April has Persona 5.

cj_iwakura

Sure, but these days there's always heavy competition no matter when you release. February has Nioh, Berserk, Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honour, and other games. March has the Nintendo Switch launch. April has Persona 5.

Guess you better just release it today!

But yes, do Working Designs ads.

Or one with the MC playing a banjo.
hcZbLKr.gif

Faerith

Neo Member
[...]Even if someone who is interested in CSH wants to get some of the other games, as a $15 download title, our game doesn't exactly break the bank and would make a fine impulse purchase. And we have an advantage in that we're going to be on both consoles & PC at the same time which few games (and especially few JRPGs) do.
[...] Pretty much all you can do is avoid the giants in your genre (which in our case would be FFXV, Persona 5, and Pokemon) and leave it at that.
May I say thank you for releasing the game with such a nice pricepoint?
Personally I've waited ages for TiTS2, Xanadu and TLG, so I'm pretty Zen on the releasedate (as long as it's coming :p), so just release when you feel confident in your game. =) (Oh wait, I know too many perfectionistic people: It'll never be perfect, but strive for a reachable optimum?)

What are your favorite RPG magazine ads & box arts? Looking for ideas for some Cosmic Star Heroine marketing stuff. :)

Also, favorite 16-bit era RPG instruction books would be helpful since we want to make the Cosmic Star Heroine instruction book awesome (will be available for free digitally & a physical copy should come with the Limited Run Games release).
Boxarts: +1 japanese Phantasy Star Style (and +1 for an english Phantasy Star/Shining Force style Variant Boxart *_* <3) since it's pretty and recognizable. =)
Romancing Saga had nice artsy boxart too (actually most jp SNES RPgs did). Hm, GDLeen-like for an obscure also-Phantasystar-like gamereference? =D
No fav ads since Europe (= import-(p)reviews = only local games ads (and those ads were too often... bikiniarmourstyle "it's for guys").

WD style book would be really cool, or like SNES game manuals in general, way too many xRPGs manuals nowadays are devoid of artworks&colour (well, I stopped looking at some point, maybe it got better). I always lovedto look at the characterart and (silly) illustrations. You ARE going to have silly chibis, right? *puppyeyes*

Bladelaw

I think I've said this a couple times but it's still true:
Take the time to make the game. I really want this game to live up to its promise. I'm not worried about getting it NOW especially if it'll be an inferior product for it.

I can wait, I imagine others can too.

Tiael

Neo Member
I've waited longer for other things, and I'll be waiting even longer after it releases digitally hoping to snag a physical copy.
Take your time.

sense

i thought i was done with my love for vita as it was collecting dust for awhile then i played darkest dungeon and steamworld heist on my vacation and now i can't wait to play this game on it!!!

N° 2048

Game just got called out on Colin and Greg Live for taking so long to release.
Colin said it's removed from his mental list and Greg said "not surprised, the game that keeps getting pushed back."

Bladenic

Game just got called out on Colin and Greg Live for taking so long to release.
Colin said it's removed from his mental list and Greg said "not surprised, the game that keeps getting pushed back."

First of all, who?

Second of all, I get it, I mean it's been 3 years since the Kickstarter. But I certainly hope the game will be worth the wait.

N° 2048

First of all, who?

Second of all, I get it, I mean it's been 3 years since the Kickstarter. But I certainly hope the game will be worth the wait.

Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty, former IGN. They started a company called KindaFunnyGames.

These guys pull 2,500 viewsers everyday on their daily live stream.

They are VERY well known in the gaming industry.

Why would you write off a game for taking years to release? Especially indie games with small teams.

Look at FFXV and its' positive reception, after an impossibly long time since announcement. Did the Kinda Funny team write that off as well?

There's plenty to play/catch up to until this releases.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why would you write off a game for taking years to release? Especially indie games with small teams.

Look at FFXV and its' positive reception, after an impossibly long time since announcement. Did the Kinda Funny team write that off as well?

More like look at Owlboy. That shit took forever.

I get losing hype over time. Still, we're basically trying to make a new Chrono Trigger (while targeting multiple platforms, no less!) with a team of 2 full-time staff (me & Bill) and 2 part-timers (Chris & Dan at HyperDuck). One, we were completely insane to take on the task in the first place and 2) being almost done after only 3 years is impressive.

Anyway, I'm not worried. Lots of jokes about Owlboy over the years but as soon as the game came out, people stopped complaining & showered it with in praise. And we're nowhere near the 9 years or so that game took.

Considering my distinct hatred for hype anyways I have no sympathy or patience for people who get excited about something and then shit on it when it gets caught in the mechanisms of reality in this industry.

If a game looked good to you and it took longer than you thought to come out or was delayed and you now think it's not worth it I think you need some real perspective in your life.

Lindsaymv

I can understand fans of this game being annoyed at Kinda Funny, but they do tend to give a good spotlight to indie games they like, and as huge vita fans they are sure to direct people to this game when it comes out. This game is especially right up Colin's alley, so I'm sure their snarky comments came at least partially out of a place of love/impatience. Be annoyed with them if you want (they're certainly not perfect) but just wanted to present another side of the comments.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Considering my distinct hatred for hype anyways I have no sympathy or patience for people who get excited about something and then shit on it when it gets caught in the mechanisms of reality in this industry.

If a game looked good to you and it took longer than you thought to come out or was delayed and you now think it's not worth it I think you need some real perspective in your life.
This

It's not like Zeboyd disappeared for years and barely communicated either. They give regular updates on progress and are honest about everything they do. People need to stop being such damn babies.

JCG

I'd imagine most backers and other interested parties are satisfied with the level of interaction, but you obviously can't please everyone. It's clear the final quality of the game will speak for itself. If some people would prefer to forget about it until release or whatever, that's their own decision.

Psxphile

If anything they just reminded/alerted their audience that it exists and will be back on the radar for those with a bit more patience.

I think it's more of a "I've forgotten about this game because it's fallen out of public eye. I'm sure Colin will still end up playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom