• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeboyd Games announces Cosmic Star Heroine (Suikoden/PhantasyStar-inspired Unity RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantasy Star inspired? I mean its early and just a concept atm but damn if I haven't wanted to hear those words for the last few decades.

Have you considered also doing Steam EA? It helped a decent amount of indie projects.

We've thought about it, but....

1) the backer tier on the Kickstarter for beta access was $50. I don't see a Steam EA for this game going over well at $50 (the game itself will probably be $15), but I would hate to offer it for less and feel like we're cheating our Kickstarter backers.

2) mostly linear story-based games tend to be a bad fit for early access.

3) the beta is going to be relatively short and is happening at the end of development. Our beta is mostly just for any last-minute bug catching, double-check that the difficulty levels feel good, and adding a final layer of polish. Early access is more for long-term development and for players to feel like they're helping to shape the final form of the game.

Phantasy Star inspired? I mean its early and just a concept atm but damn if I haven't wanted to hear those words for the last few decades.

Actually, it's almost done! Here's a 30 minute gameplay video that we shot a little over a year ago to give you an idea of how it plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwRduJKJwc

1) the backer tier on the Kickstarter for beta access was $50. I don't see a Steam EA for this game going over well at $50 (the game itself will probably be $15), but I would hate to offer it for less and feel like we're cheating our Kickstarter backers.

Larian Studios had the same problem with Divinity: Original Sin. They ended opening up the beta for ALL Kickstarter backers and offered the ones that paid extra for it to refund the extra money they contributed.

Not sure if that's feasible for Zeboyd, but it paid off for Larian afaik.

Just ran some tests on the PS4 version. 60 fps with next-to-no load times outside the initial startup. Game runs as smooth or smoother than Chrono Trigger on original hardware. :)

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Just ran some tests on the PS4 version. 60 fps with next-to-no load times outside the initial startup. Game runs as smooth or smoother than Chrono Trigger on original hardware. :)

Good to hear Robert!

And here I was hoping you guys were going to announce a date! Gimme this!

Dami3N

I have been on the fence for this game for a long time.
personal i dont like space setting.. but then i love the art, gameplay and music from the gameplaytrailer..
AND THIS THREAD HAS SUIDKODEN IN IT: Whats the insperation from that series?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Good to have a release window for this!

I played it and chatted with the dev at E3 last year, and it was a lot of fun. I really dug the art style and the battle system. I didn't play it for long, because it's hard to really get into an RPG on the show floor, with all of the noise and distractions, but the story seemed interesting. The gameplay is solid, so all I needed was a release date! I'll take a release window too!

This part of the last update really pleased me :
We're pleased to state that Cosmic Star Heroine currently has the most robust resolution feature set of any of our games to date. Not only can you play the game full-screen or in a variety of different-sized windows, but the game will adjust the viewing area (within certain boundaries) and the layout of the user interface to accommodate different resolutions while still presenting the highest quality graphics & animation.

OTOH, if I'm perfectly honest, I know I'll be playing it mostly on Vita because it has become my most natural JRPG machine.
(I'd kill for Cthulhu or BoD on Vita though)

AND THIS THREAD HAS SUIDKODEN IN IT: Whats the insperation from that series?

Later in the game, you get a spaceship that also doubles as your base and there are a couple dozen or so NPCs that you can recruit that will expand your ship & give various bonuses. Basically a smaller version of the 108 stars of destiny that the Suikoden series does.

This part of the last update really pleased me :

OTOH, if I'm perfectly honest, I know I'll be playing it mostly on Vita because it has become my most natural JRPG machine.
(I'd kill for Cthulhu or BoD on Vita though)

I have to hope for a proper handheld successor to the Vita, from Sony or otherwise, because I don't think I will ever play a JRPG on a console again. Once you get comfortable on a handheld, it's really hard to go back.

StereoVsn

That's awesome to hear. What about Vita, 30 fps?

Anyway, the game is looking really good from previews. Going to double dip for Vita version too.

What will the DRM-free options be on PC?

Humble Store & Steam at the moment (all our Steam games are DRM-free).

I'll be all over that! Think you might sneak us a peek at potential boxart?

Here's the mock-up we did.

CosmicStarHeroine-CaseMockup.png

Another landmark reached - all enemies now have art & animation. We'll need to add a little more here and there as we add more enemy abilities, but even so, this is a big thing that we can take off the list now. :)

Alastor3

Another landmark reached - all enemies now have art & animation. We'll need to add a little more here and there as we add more enemy abilities, but even so, this is a big thing that we can take off the list now. :)

Do you have a post-it wall that you remove stuff when it's done :p ? btw can't wait to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom