• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeku revealed for Street Fighter V!

lupinko

OyIOplP.gif

I don't know where that MvC style hiryu walking animation is from, but he does walk like Guy in Strider 2, I think.

I don't know if it's from a win pose but it could also be a sprite edit.

okay really what is with capcom and giving sfv tons of extra animations

like Abigail has of animations after his moves that have not point of being there and Zeku seams to also carry this trait as well

was it the point of making all the animation that you barely see

like Abigail has of animations after his moves that have not point of being there and Zeku seams to also carry this trait as well

the animations really are some needlessly detailed shit.

bchan555

It shows care and dedication to their work. This is definitely a good thing.

This kind of charm and craft was lost after sprite-based fighters died out in the early 2000s. I fail to see how it's a negative. =)

It shows care and dedication to their work. This is definitely a good thing.

This kind of charm and craft was lost after sprite-based fighters died out in the early 2000s. I fail to see how it's a negative. =)

i mean you could see it as putting in effort into animations that more than likely no one will ever see as wasting money, that might be a negative

i'm mainly just wondering why did they start doing now? and why these characters of all things

Rymuth

i mean you could see it as putting in effort into animations that more than likely no one will ever see as wasting money, that might be a negative

i'm mainly just wondering why did they start doing now? and why these characters of all things
Either it's to convince people to drop money on these characters that don't come with the base game or it could be the team becoming more experienced with
UE4

Gren

andy-kof96stance.gif

People criticizing superfluous animations in this day & age, when they're easier/cheaper to do than ever?

Fuck, this kind of shit was a *treat* back in the day.

MrCarter

I will never understand gamers.

Sesha

Adds more personality and visual charm, which makes the game look more appealing.

The DLC has to look good to get people to buy it and, since these are new characters, they have to put in extra effort in order to make people like them.

The later DLC characters have more time to be made which allows them to give them some extra stuff. You can really start noticing the difference between the base roster and DLC who was made at later time. The quality of the characters has gone up over time. More time doesn't always equal more money sometimes if you want something done fast/rushed it's gonna cost more. All art stages/characters are outsourced I'm unsure about animations.

andy-kof96stance.gif

People criticizing superfluous animations in this day & age, when they're easier/cheaper to do than ever?

Fuck, this kind of shit was a *treat* back in the day.

i'm not criticizing, i'm just confused that's all

i like them as much as the next guy i'm just wondering why they started doing it now

Metal B

Old Zeku fights kinda like a modified version of Nash w/ a toolset including a Bushin Flip-esque move.

Young Zeku fights w/ a modified version of the rest of Guy's kit, minus the Tatsu.

The transformation is because he's a stance character like Gen. He's just far, far less complicated than Gen because he has very limited stance-switch combos.
I know, what a stance character is. My problem is just, that i can't follow the line of thinking, why the characters LOOKs they way it those. I understand, that developers wanted to make it clear to the audience, that Zeku has changed his stance by changing the design heavily (instead of just changing the animation, which would maybe be to subtle).
But again why does the stance character look the way it does? Maybe to make it clear: I find him badly designed. The design of the stance just looks so random and doesn't tell my anything on the surface, why it looks the way it does. And this bothers me, since normally the deal of most Street Fighter characters can easily be read by their design and animation (which was always the series strength).

All i can see, is that Zeku is supposed to have a connection to Strider and instead of making the connection subtle, they just make him plump almost look 1:1 like Strider. Even so he should be looking like an older Strider?

TL;DR: I don't get the character design.

leroidys

I think the Strider Hiryu reference is awesome, but yeah, maybe a little too on the nose.

Kind of OT, but I always felt like it was a big missed opportunity not to put a Strider in either of the Star Gladiator games.

Gren

i like them as much as the next guy i'm just wondering why they started doing it now

Ah, no biggie. So long as we can cancel the extra animation if need be, I just see it as a sign that a) they're more confident in their abilities with this new engine and/or b) as was mentioned before, they're showing their care/dedication in their fan service.

Personally, I welcome this SNK-ish quirk. Like when MOTW Rock brushes his hair after every special, but you can cancel the animation if you want.

Greenzxy

Eh, I don't know. The animations in season 2 except maybe Akuma and Kolin, lack that weighty animation from season 1. I mean it's still in there, but just not as consistent and the poses too suffer from it.

Lylo

lol I think brazilians will find the name funny because most people in Brazil will read his name as "Zé Cú" which means "Joe Ass".

The character looks cool though.

Scotia

Banned
Wait, you're telling me he just does this over and over? Looks ridiculous

No, his idle animation only plays if you don't move the character for a few seconds. You'll probably never see this animation unless you're messing around in training mode. His stance, which is what you're thinking of, is what he does at the end of the gif before it loops.

Ryce

The design of the stance just looks so random and doesn't tell my anything on the surface, why it looks the way it does.
Zeku isn't a typical stance character. His character model changes. You tell the two styles apart by the way he physically looks (Bushinryu = young, iaido = old), not by the way he stands.

Metal B

Zeku isn't a typical stance character. His character model changes. You tell the two styles apart by the way he physically looks (Bushinryu = young, iaido = old), not by the way he stands.
I said already above, that i get why they made the stance look like a different character (mainly visible information), but the design (from old to young) doesn't make sense to me (except the fact that it's a plump Strider reference).

ldcommando

Banned
lol I think brazilians will find the name funny because most people in Brazil will read his name as "Zé Cú" which means "Joe Ass".

The character looks cool though.

5 minutes after the trailer hit a friend sent me a WhatsApp message asking if I was going to use "Zé Cu".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

They didn't just start now. Ken has a few subtle animations during special recovery (well, at least one I can think of off the top of my head), I'm sure other characters do too. They probably started making them longer because because it adds style and personality. Whenever one of those moves is the last hit in the round, the full animation will play out and that's cool. It doesn't have to be seen every single time for it to be worth it.

jett

D-Member

does this trigger you

IXXbcKF.gif

JayEH

All of those extra animations ABI-GAIL has can be used as taunts. It’s especially great to land a ex Abigail punch V8 at the end of the round and your opponent has to watch the full animation.

Top Bottom