• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BotW glitch lets you play without the Sheikah Slate radically altering the game

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably a stupid question as I haven't given it much thought, and I think I need a nap, but if you wanted to get the Slate at some point later on, how do you get back on the Plateau without the ability to Warp?

First of all I don't think that's how it works. Once you have performed this glitch you can't get the slate. I think? EDIT: Wrong!

Either way, you can just climb up, or glide onto the Plateau from the nearby hills. It isn't very tall.

Does this mean you could conceivably end up breaking every weapon in the game except the master sword?

Edit: You could run out of food eventually as well.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is kind of awesome actually.

I think so? I can't think of any weapons that regenerate some other way than blood moon.

Do the weapons you just find lying around stay gone forever after you pick them up?

EDIT: They do respawn, but perhaps only after a blood moon?

jts

...hate me...
Wish there was a NG+ mode with loads of options, like red moon on or off, rain on or off, day/night cycle toggle, breakable weapons, powers needing recharge, etc.

Basically a go to town sandbox mode just for fun.

Usually get my fix of that in GTA with cheat codes.

eizarus

Banned
This has tempted me more than anything else about this game so far. It would be sick to have an official hardcore mode.

Lork

Are things like plants, fish and so on tied to the blood moon or do they respawn without it? I'm really liking this idea of a playthrough where everything is finite, like the survival mode in Dead Rising.

Revven

I don't see it. You can't do the divine beasts, so this would only work in any% runs, and this wouldn't change anything about that.

Well, it doesn't even have to specifically be the slateless part of this anyway. The fact the game can carry over your state to a new save could allow for other things to be done that normally can't; a lot of experimentation and research would need to be done, though.

It's why I was saying earlier this isn't too dissimilar to the Back in Time glitch(es) in WW, TP, and SS. Thought to be relatively useless and funny but ended up being a really big deal for TP and SS (Wind Waker not so much lol).

I'm trying to get this glitch to work without success. The first step on the webpage says:

Open a save file where you’re outside the Great Plateau (or in a shrine), and go to a ledge.

So I assumed/hoped it could be done in the Magnesis shrine, allowing me to create a new profile and test this as quickly as possible without risking my main save files.

So I started a new game, got in the first shrine as fast as possible. You can't climb down a ledge inside shrines (which is required in the next step for the glitch) but I thought maybe the ladder in that shrine would work, since it acts more or less the same way as climbing down a ledge... I tried pausing the game as soon as I pressed the A button and loading the shrine of Resurrection save from the other game but it's not triggering the glitch. I even tried varying the time before I pause the game a couple of times.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong or if it doesn't work on ladders (then why does he say outside of the plateu OR inside a shrine?). Also the steps seem different in the article and the video.

I'm really eager to test what happens when you skip to night time at bonfire.

Kadin

How is stuff like this discovered? Who thinks to climb down a ledge, pause and immediately reset? Props to ppl who find these glitches.

Kent

How is stuff like this discovered? Who thinks to climb down a ledge, pause and immediately reset? Props to ppl who find these glitches.

People who work in QA find things like this all the time. It just gets fixed before release in most cases.

I've personally done it on a few games I've worked on.

Deku Tree

BotW leaves the game world loaded while the app is open. So you can switch between save files and cause crazy things to happen. That is the biggest cause of most of these glitches.

3DS channel and others who understand how things work have been actively exploring what you can break for a long time almost since the game came out.

Trial of the Sword and Master mode made it easier to exploit too. Seems to be much less QA testing for DLC1.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I thought the Blood Moon existed to respawn the NPCs and chests and shrines so you don't end up with no weapons left or not enough materials for upgrades or elixiers but clearing the memory of the list of dead creatures would definitely help on the technical side too.

Chests dont respawn

Considering the game seems to trigger a blood moon for 'garbage collection' (in the software sense) when things get too wonky, I don't really buy that there's no blood moons at all.

Doesn't seem that radical.

You could always have removed the hud, and just not used those features before. The perma death of enemies is pretty cool I guess.

Interesting glitch though.

Persona7

Banned
I'm trying to get this glitch to work without success. The first step on the webpage says:

So I assumed/hoped it could be done in the Magnesis shrine, allowing me to create a new profile and test this as quickly as possible without risking my main save files.

So I started a new game, got in the first shrine as fast as possible. You can't climb down a ledge inside shrines (which is required in the next step for the glitch) but I thought maybe the ladder in that shrine would work, since it acts more or less the same way as climbing down a ledge... I tried pausing the game as soon as I pressed the A button and loading the shrine of Resurrection save from the other game but it's not triggering the glitch. I even tried varying the time before I pause the game a couple of times.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong or if it doesn't work on ladders (then why does he say outside of the plateu OR inside a shrine?). Also the steps seem different in the article and the video.

I'm really eager to test what happens when you skip to night time at bonfire.
You have to pause on the first frame. Basically exact precise timing.

Gonna need clarification on increased appearance of nakedness since I can't see anything like that in the video and the article doesn't mention it

For science, of course

Gonna need clarification on increased appearance of nakedness since I can't see anything like that in the video and the article doesn't mention it

For science, of course

Haha. It is in the video. When Link has the Sheikah Slate it's always there hanging on his hip with belt holster:

2017%2F03%2F10%2F77%2Fc9685fdc7f3a43429d3dfd2fe05a2e2c.dd17a.png

Which kinda bothered me when I wanted to play as Link in only his boxer shorts and bothing else (and there are even more skimpy ones you get from amiibo)... Now I can.

If anyone else was having trouble getting this to work, try it in docked mode. Was at it for half an hour yesterday in handheld mode, but got it just now first try!

Most enemies wouldn't respawn but don't Stal enemies spawn independently of the blood moon? So you'd get your endless weapons from them.

mclem

The idea of permanently ridding Hyrule of all monster presence appeals to me greatly.

Given the Blood Moon is generally believed to act as a form of garbage collection, I suspect there might be some unpleasant effects if you were to go all-out on that. Although given it's also rumoured that a Blood Moon might get forced if the datastore is too full, that might still happen.

Protome

Am I missing something? Why are so many people saying you can't do the Divine Beasts? The quote in the OP specifically says
the game does act like you have the slate where cutscenes, shrines, towers and Divine Beasts are so concerned. So if you ever need to scan a terminal (or are planning to upgrade it at the Hateno Tech Lab), don't worry. That still works fine in this game state.

Edit: Oh I see, because you can't access the map.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I thought the Blood Moon existed to respawn the NPCs and chests and shrines so you don't end up with no weapons left or not enough materials for upgrades or elixiers but clearing the memory of the list of dead creatures would definitely help on the technical side too.

Why would they do this as a list? I would use an Boolean-array and give each enemy a unique ID, this way the look-up if an enemy is still alive costs almost nothing, no matter how many enemies are killed. Even if there are a million enemies (there are probably less), we would be talking memory of less than a mega byte (using C# convention of one boolean equals one byte; more efficient solutions could work with only an eigth of a mega byte...). Doing it with a list would hit the performance over the course of the game, because look-ups take a lot of time, and it would even be more memory intense, because in this case, more than just a simple boolean needs to be saved.

SomTervo

I think a lot of people are very interested in games as machines - how they load data, the stay efficient while managing memory etc.

To understand these systems better they'll play with loading and saving and teleporting. They'll see how they can break those systems by pushing tiny details and mechanics in curious ways.

Why would they do this as a list? I would use an Boolean-array and give each enemy a unique ID, this way the look-up if an enemy is still alive costs almost nothing, no matter how many enemies are killed. Even if there are a million enemies (there are probably less), we would be talking memory of less than a mega byte (using C# convention of one boolean equals one byte; more efficient solutions could work with only an eigth of a mega byte...). Doing it with a list would hit the performance over the course of the game, because look-ups take a lot of time, and it would even be more memory intense, because in this case, more than just a simple boolean needs to be saved.

Yeah honestly the garbage collection argument doesn't sound that compelling. It's literally only enemies that are being tracked right? Enemies and ore? It would be an array or three that's toytown in comparison with almost everything else the game does.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the game is actually equipped to remember that you've killed every enemy in the game. I assumed part of the blood moon was clearing a bunch of used memory.

GoldStarz

I suppose that you could clear the world of all enemies and then pick up the Shiekah Slate in the Shrine of Resurrection to basically do a timed rush of the Divine Beasts and Calamity Ganon before a Blood Moon happens.

Assuming that the entrance isn't blocked off, I mean.

Top Bottom