• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Smeags

This game is the opposite of Gandalf's advice to Frodo: keep on the roads!

In typical Nintendo fashion, the roads serve a purpose to the overall arc of the game (besides horseback riding). Especially for the Zora and (especially) Goron regions, it was extremely beneficial to follow the path set for you.

So many interesting things were found by following the pathways around Hyrule, as easy as it was to wander off and take the paths less traveled!

Bydobob

Awful that people are missing him. They get a worse gameplay experience due to
severely restricted inventory space
and they miss out on the
maracas fun
as well. You people have been cheated out of the optimal BOTW experience!

Not at all! It's a testament to the quality of the overall game that you can miss all this stuff and still consider it a masterpiece. The lack of hand-holding is one of its strengths actually. Discovering stuff organically is much more thrilling than being steered down a path and expecting to see what you find once you get there.

maxcriden

So they didn't add a Cook Book or better Inventory management?

I would really like a cookbook, or at least a place in the game where your recipes are stored. It would have been a cool portion of the H
ateno
V
illage
homeowner sidequest.

sirap

Framerate problems in Zelda are purely in docked mode right? Handheld version is perfectly fine is it not?

Yes, before the patch frame-rate dips were very rare in handheld mode, only occurring in the some of the worst performing areas in the game under very specific weather and lighting situations. You still had the occasional combat freeze but that's an entirely separate issue.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

In typical Nintendo fashion, the roads serve a purpose to the overall arc of the game (besides horseback riding). Especially for the Zora and (especially) Goron regions, it was extremely beneficial to follow the path set for you.

So many interesting things were found by following the pathways around Hyrule, as easy as it was to wander off and take the paths less traveled!

I actually avoid the roads a lot of the time because climbing and gliding is more fun and [enemy type spoiler]
the Yiga clan bothered me a lot recently on the one road I tried out
. I'm trying to make a mental note to return and ride all the roads eventually, though, for the reasons you state.

Framerate problems in Zelda are purely in docked mode right? Handheld version is perfectly fine is it not?

No version/mode was ever perfect, but undocked was always the best and seemed "good enough" for most people. I'm not sure how undocked mode has been affected by this patch.

Avoiding roads at all costs is why I didn't manage to spend any Korok seeds until about 50 hours into the game.

chronomac

Avoiding roads at all costs is why I didn't manage to spend any Korok seeds until about 50 hours into the game.

This is pretty much what happened to me, except it was maybe 35 hours in or so. I got irritated that I didn't have anywhere
to spend the Korok seeds so I just looked it up. Honest to God I didn't even know roads existed. I was just gliding from mountain to mountain, basically.

It's the only thing I've looked up and I don't regret it.

Smeags

I actually avoid the roads a lot of the time because climbing and gliding is more fun and [enemy type spoiler]
the Yiga clan bothered me a lot recently on the one road I tried out
. I'm trying to make a mental note to return and ride all the roads eventually, though, for the reasons you state.

Haha its true about those folks. Especially after you defeat
their leader
, they're a dime a dozen. Keep crying those tears lady, Im on to you!
although i will say that its worth it if you can grab a Demon Carver, since the "pop outta nowhere" types just have duplex bows.

But yeah, missed a few stables, quests, and
the horse goddess
by not following roads early on. And of course traveling up Death Mountain is tough without the guidance from traversing the path.

But thats the beauty of this game. It may show you a more clear cut path, but it never tells you no if you want to forge your own.

pop-in is really bad now :(

It's always been really bad and often hilarious.

I've watched entire Lizalfos camps appear and disappear as I take a step forward and back, all while in shooting distance with an ordinary bow.

I truthfully can't imagine it's worse than it's always been, so I would guess it's the post-patch placebo effect.

Socreges

Banned
Question about Hestu. I've seen him twice now.

Hoping to find him again. Tell me this much: is he on another road or in this Korok forest I've heard about in-game?

It's always been really bad and often hilarious.

I've watched entire Lizalfos camps appear and disappear as I take a step forward and back, all while in shooting distance with an ordinary bow.

I truthfully can't imagine it's worse than it's always been, so I would guess it's the post-patch placebo effect.

It's definetly worse, but also random as fuck.

Like some animals will pop 2 feet from you, when you can see other mobs much further.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Hoping to find him again. Tell me this much: is he on another road or in this Korok forest I've heard about in-game?

I found him twice, then went to the place he kept talking about going to, and he was there. I'm not sure if I forced him to be there cause I went there, or if he would've kept showing up in other random places over time had I delayed going there.

Irminsul

is there a term for reverse placebo effect? you're paranoid they made things worse so you believe that they did?
"Nocebo".

And yeah, a bit of that as well as claims of the opposite (higher resolution? Really?) ITT but a suspicious lack of actual screenshots for comparison.

rhandino

Banned

Like some animals will pop 2 feet from you, when you can see other mobs much further.
Emmm, I am going to need Digital Foundry on this because I swear this has been a thing for a while... at least on Wii U.

Like, it kind of happened when you are running towards a stable and sometimes you reach it and the next second the pots, weapons, items and people start to apper.

Same with some town in which if you enter too fast to the town and the enter a house you will see no furniture until it loads a few seconds later.

He appears in random stables from my experience until you find his home where h stays there always.

Yeah, this sounds the same to me.

I've tripped over foxes and stuff that seem to appear immediately underfoot. I've had deer appear and flee straight through Link.

If I learned anything from the total lack of patch notes from Super Smash Bros, it's that people detect all kinds of changes, big and small, that aren't actually there. You're on the look out for things and either notice stuff you didn't previously or think or notice things that aren't there. Either way, they're probably not new or a result of the patch.

If the DF analysis comes out and says otherwise, I will be quick to apologize.

Socreges

Banned
I found him twice, then went to the place he kept talking about going to, and he was there. I'm not sure if I forced him to be there cause I went there, or if he would've kept showing up in other random places over time had I delayed going there.
Ok thanks. I haven't been able to uncover that area on the map yet... unless it isn't named on the map. Then it could be any one of the areas that I've uncovered but haven't explored yet. 😑

TrojanAg

Yeah I'm waiting to see what DF says as well but I've had deer disappear a few feet in front of me when they run away so that's always been there. It looks the same to me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Yeah, this sounds the same to me.

I've tripped over foxes and stuff that seem to appear immediately underfoot. I've had deer appear and flee straight through Link.

If I learned anything from the total lack of patch notes from Super Smash Bros, it's that people detect all kinds of changes, big and small, that aren't actually there. You're on the look out for things and either notice stuff you didn't previously or think or notice things that aren't there. Either way, they're probably not new or a result of the patch.

If the DF analysis comes out and says otherwise, I will be quick to apologize.

That's where I stand as well.

The disappearance of animals seems to depend on their distance to their original spawn point not on the distance to Link. That was already the case pre-patch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Haha its true about those folks. Especially after you defeat
their leader
, they're a dime a dozen. Keep crying those tears lady, Im on to you!
although i will say that its worth it if you can grab a Demon Carver, since the "pop outta nowhere" types just have duplex bows.

But yeah, missed a few stables, quests, and
the horse goddess
by not following roads early on. And of course traveling up Death Mountain is tough without the guidance from traversing the path.

But thats the beauty of this game. It may show you a more clear cut path, but it never tells you no if you want to forge your own.

The crying lady was maybe the first one I encountered really early on in the game, and it freaked me out so bad. I typically try to outrun them, but I mostly just worry that they'll kill my horse with their bows. :(

He appears in random stables from my experience until you find his home where h stays there always.

I believe the locations that NPC appears in are fixed, so it'd always be the same stables.

Ok thanks. I haven't been able to uncover that area on the map yet... unless it isn't named on the map. Then it could be any one of the areas that I've uncovered but haven't explored yet. ��

You'll know it when you see it.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I've been playing more docked mode and I've seen it get pretty blurry at times. Prepare your butts for the fact it might dynamically drop down to 720p.

I'm perfectly fine with it as the framerate is an incredible improvement overall compared to before.

Handheld mode was never a perfect 30fps before. I don't know why people kept saying it was. There was severe drops at times although admittedly they weren't as frequent or as severe as docked mode.

psychotron

I've been playing more docked mode and I've seen it get pretty blurry at times. Prepare your butts for the fact it might dynamically drop down to 720p.

I'm perfectly fine with it as the framerate is an incredible improvement overall compared to before.

Handheld mode was never a perfect 30fps before. I don't know why people kept saying it was. There was severe drops at times although admittedly they weren't as frequent or as severe as docked mode.

Shit. DF where are you!!!?

LOL I don't even know who Hetsu is, and I have been playing for 70 hours, yet it seems he is common knowledge around the Zelda threads! Pretty awesome that I can miss such apparently obvious things and still enjoy the hell out of the game.
That is unfortunate.

daxy

Fucking hell. The detail draw in turned to absolute shit. Everything beyond three steps around Link looks noticeably worse, as if they dialled anisotropic filtering all the way down. Tried to remove the update by removing game data, but it won't even let me launch the game now without first updating.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking hell. The detail draw in turned to absolute shit. Everything beyond three steps around Link looks noticeably worse, as if they dialled anisotropic filtering all the way down. Tried to remove the update by removing game data, but it won't even let me launch the game now without first updating.

Wii U or Switch?

Malus

All I've learned from these video comparisons is it's 10x harder for me to see frame drops over video than while playing.

Mega

Banned
I don't know how you miss
Hetsu
unless you took a real roundabout way to Kakariko.

That's the beauty of BOTW. I missed him until much later when I revisited the area and found him on the side of the road. This game is all the better due to the fact that we're all not hitting X, Y and Z points at the same time or in the same order or even at all.

Top Bottom