• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Are reviewers who complained about this gonna update their scores or nah

If the frame rate improvement is true ofc

Of course not, their hot takes on preview code is the definitive evaluation of the game's long term appeal, just like Splatoon and Destiny before it.

RAWRferal

I was justified in waiting to play this it looks like.

Unless you are super anal about things, no you really weren't. The game is amazing and this is more about polish than anything.

Unless you're talking about the Wii U version, in which case, probably more justified, but still...

Locations aren't fucking spoilers. I'm 1 hour into the game and it won't matter a lick of difference if I see the name of some place that's hours and hours away - if I even remember it by then. All the blacked out, spolierphobia BS is making this thread a chore to read.

Well id usually agree with you, but
with returning villages like Kakariko and previous characters like Koroks etc.
it kind of is a big deal to spoil surprises like that for people, especially seeing as this game is heavily focused on player discovery and exploration.

Also it takes like 1 click to spoiler tag, so it's not really a big deal.

Speely

Banned
Locations aren't fucking spoilers. I'm 1 hour into the game and it won't matter a lick of difference if I see the name of some place that's hours and hours away - if I even remember it by then. All the blacked out, spolierphobia BS is making this thread a chore to read.

I agree with you, but it's best to just err on the side of caution. Enthusiast site. Ppl get particular, and whatever you or I feel, there will be others who feel diff, and that disparity threatens to derail threads.

Best to just spoiler if you have to wonder whether you should or not.

Unless you are super anal about things, no you really weren't. The game is amazing and this is more about polish than anything.

Unless you're talking about the Wii U version, in which case, probably more justified, but still...

Wii U version is probably around Bloodborne bad in the worst areas, but it's definitely still playable. 130 hours of that version and I never had a button press not register or anything that impeded my controls. So.

Wanderer5

Ran around in some of the villages that can have it bad in the WiiU version, and it feels like there is possible improvement, but still a bit choppy.

Malus

I was justified in waiting to play this it looks like.

I envy you lol.

Though in retrospect I dunno if I woulda waited. I knew there was a chance the framerate would get patched eventually, but man we've been waiting so long already and shit was constantly getting spoiled. I still had a lot of fun with it despite the significant issues.

Oh well, just something to keep in mind in 5-6 years when the next one drops.

The fact that the game is amazing is all the more reason to be happy, not having to deal with as many techincal issues to spoil the experience.

I also don't think it's about being anal, this was the worst performing game I'd ever played.

ciD_Vain

I remember a shrine with a bunch of spikes around it, slowdowns were insane when I tried it docked. Can anyone check? I don't remember the shrine name though.

Edit: Rucco Maag Shrine
Just checked. There's still some slowdown in docked mode. Undocked is smooth.

forrest

formerly nacire
Good to see they are working on performance optimization post release. Let's hope we get a quality of life patch for some of the small inventory issues as well.

Of course not, their hot takes on preview code is the definitive evaluation of the game's long term appeal, just like Splatoon and Destiny before it.

Yeah the game running like shit sometimes, crashing, and freezing from time to time for me was definitely "preview" code when I played it for 100 hours after launch. :roll:

kubev

Are reviewers who complained about this gonna update their scores or nah

If the frame rate improvement is true ofc

Not if they don't usually update scores post-patch. I don't see why BotW should get preferential treatment. Nintendo shipped a game with notable performance issues, and people who play the game without the patch are stuck with those performance issues.

bomblord1

Banned
Kakariko Village was a trouble area on Switch?

Even Digital Foundry shows it running at a locked 30fps in their comparison video.

Speely

Banned

This is literally my favorite game of all time, but this is silly, dude. When you release review code, that is the code that should be reviewed.

Ooh yeah that was borderline uplayable !! Haha
It was the spikes that did that imo

this one?
C8Nk5SIV0AAm4QK.jpg:large

runs perfect for me

Hot takes?

The game had framerate issues and straight up freezes in the damn retail game.

Fucking lmao.

Key word: had. Just like Splatoon didn't have ranked play and extra modes.

Writing a "definitive" review in time for launch is a relic of the magazine era and needs to be phased out. Just do a "launch impressions" piece and write a new one when a significant update drops.

bionic77

Bamboo 竹;233085659 said:
Impressive performance upgrade for me on undocked mode. Not a single noticeable frame drop in
Korok forest
I saw it drop frames twice while running around for 2 minutes.

Both were super minor and nothing like before.

This was in handheld mode. Huge improvement compared to before where it would really chug at times.

Wonder how it performs docked at the higher resolution.

I notice improvement in Korok Forest at... times? Like before it seemed to chug the majority of the time, now I get instances of smoothness rather than consistently so.

Still far from ideal.

Copied & pasted from my reddit report on the subject:

Omg, it's actually better. Much, much better.

This is docked.

I went straight to that forest. I encountered brief judders where I'd normally expect to see sustained 12-18fps, but it recovered every time.

Other forests that had problems for me—lots of trees, lots of alpha foliage, lots of grass—were flawless.

I haven't tried undocked yet.

I sort of can't believe it. The lighting & contrast seems a bit tweaked, too.

Tl;dr: FPS is much better docked in all the worst places.

Digital Foundry will probably be best to see if there are any actual Wii U improvements. Could totally be Placebo effect like off-TV on the Gamepad being smoother than on TV.

FSLink

Banned
Locations shouldn't be an effing spoiler, lmao. Guess what guys, Than- I mean Ganon is also in this game.

Korok Forest seems to run better for me as well (undocked, Switch).

Writing a "definitive" review in time for launch is a relic of the magazine era and needs to be phased out. Just do a "launch impressions" piece and write a new one when a significant update drops.

Yea sorry, I need to go turn in my preview copy. Should've waited until today for the retail copy to hit.

Fucking Nintendo lied to me and acted like the game launched on March 3rd.

bomblord1

Banned
There were definitely big drops in my experience, though only in specific spots.

Not in my personal experience *shrug*. I was running all over that place one of the few places I completed all the side quests I could find (with 1 exception)

Also I've NEVER had an outright freeze killing moblins in any scenario.

Yep, the framerate is absolutely more stable now while playing in docked mode. Still room for improvement, but this is a very nice surprise.

That's a pretty unreasonable thing to ask for.

phanphare

Banned

Splatoon and Destiny were totally different situations. those games fundamentally changed over the course of their life. this is just a patch to an existing game that is still the same, content wise.

Kade

Is this about the Metascore? It's still pretty high.

random25

Fighting a bunch more moblins and I experienced one fight when there a fraction of a second freeze. It was when it was knocked dead. Not totally perfect, but still much better.

Kyzer

Banned
Will wait for digital foundry, people were also swearing turning off wifi improved their performance as well

Yea sorry, I need to go turn in my preview copy. Should've waited until today for the retail copy to hit.

Fucking Nintendo lied to me and acted like the game launched on March 3rd.

It launched and will receive content updates/improvements throughout the year. In five years time will anyone give a shit about framerate problems that lasted less than a month? Will all of the "gotta be first!!1!" launch reviews represent the game accurately at all?

Speely

Banned
Locations shouldn't be an effing spoiler, lmao. Guess what guys, Than- I mean Ganon is also in this game.

Korok Forest seems to run better for me as well.

Bud.. To be fair, this is a very new direction for a LoZ game and some people don't know anything. I get that most folks prolly know most of the iconic locations are in the game, but why assume that? It's easier for us to not spoil things than it is for those who have not played to not be spoiled.

VariantX

Glad to hear the game is improving, I was getting Zelda and a Switch in April come hell or high water anyway, but I like what I'm reading.

Top Bottom