• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

phanphare

Banned
Right, so don't call it a review. Call it a launch impression piece, an write a new article every time there's a significant content update, and do a retrospective once it's content complete. Bam, more clicks and you're using the medium of the internet properly.

why don't you just accept that launch impression pieces are called reviews?

Right, so don't call it a review. Call it a launch impression piece, an write a new article every time there's a significant content update, and do a retrospective once it's content complete. Bam, more clicks and you're using the medium of the internet properly.

I'd actually be fine with something like this, but it's still not going to be feasible for most sites.

Wagram

It's so sad that this is all over a 97 instead of a 98. Cringe tier man.

I'd actually be fine with something like this, but it's still not going to be feasible for most sites.

Yeah, not how it works. Reviewers shouldn't be obligated to revise reviews for every game whenever there's a post-release patch. It's like telling critics that their film reviews are pointless because the extended cut will pad out some editing issues. But they're free to review said extended cut if they want. I'm also not seeing any improvements worthy enough to really like alter a score or something.

BigEmil

But by that logic to be fair those sites have to do the same thing for many other games too. Lots of games gets updates and improvements nowadays so won't be fair to just give a re-review just for one of them

Please knock it off with the ridiculous re-review discussion/derail. There's a conversation about the role of traditional reviews in a world where games are constantly changing after release, but it's not in this thread, especially when it was started with hyperbolic language about "hot takes."

Kyzer

Banned
I am not frustrated just alittle bit baffled that you wouldn't believe anybody here just because of an other thread which had nothing to do with this one.
And I don't feel attacked or anything.in the end it is dumb to fight about such a thing as a patch in a game. Sorry for even starting this conversation.^^

Has anyone been to
Rito
village? The entrance to it was pretty bad before too.

I dont know whos who!

Hmm, idk. I'm still not all that satisfied. Just spent 30 minutes testing stress locations in docked mode.

K
akariko
V
illage
seemed slightly better? I never really had too many problems in K
akariko
. It was mostly smooth this time but I did drop a frame while turning the camera.

K
orok
F
orest
seemed better but it's not this crazy difference.

The Great Plateau near the Old Man's spot is definitely the most improved. Did not notice a single frame drop.

But my biggest performance issue with the game still remains - fighting Moblins. It has always been the most annoying to me. Like I said, go to Pappetto Grove south of the Faron Grasslands.

I just hope they didn't lower shadow quality or make some kind of other concession for this update. I'd almost say it wasn't worth it... The areas that slightly annoyed me are slightly better, and the thing that annoyed me the most is still present. I play almost exclusively docked though so you handheld people might have different opinions. Will be interesting to see a more precise technical take.

-Horizon-

I tested: that one spoiler Forest area, kakariko and Hateno village, and the dueling peaks stable.
Every area seems to have a few more smoother places but it's still pretty chunky overall when you point your camera a certain way or move towards or through the problem areas.

There does seem to be less HUGE drops but there are still noticeable drops.

I can't tell but is there less flying grass effect?

It was a while ago. Googled it and cant find any hints.
All i know is spike circular maze some pole on the left rock formation and wind no snow no desert no lava. Grassy area
But it was the worst lag i have ever seen in zelda.
Really below n64 golden eye 4p splitscreen.

found it, its the rucco maag shrine, seems to run very well, some drops when doing spin attack to cut grass

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been saying this for years jackass, I don't care about a certain game's metascore. Reviews as they're currently framed are outdated.

I don't disagree with what you're saying but the reality is that the alternative isn't really realistic or sustainable. There are way, way too many games that get constant dripfeeds of new content or patch improvements, along with new games that keep coming out with deadlines to meet. There's basically not going to be enough staff at websites to go back and thoroughly check to update reviews.

Then the other side is the bulk of hits are happening pre-launch. Like someone could go back into Witcher 3 with its load of improvements and write another review but the amount of clicks won't match the effort involved so that's another reason it won't happen much.

Oops, just saw the mod post on this. My bad.

On topic: Glad they're actually working out some of the kinks. While K
orok
F
orest
was by far the worst area and still looks sketchy the improvements will help a lot across the board.

PtM

Banned
Wii U?

2YFfur1.gif
You shut your filthy mouth.

AGITΩ

Just tried out thw Switch version docked in a few towns and great plateau. I was surprized by the lack of frame rate dips. Its running a lot more stable...too bad i just beat the game...yesterday..

Ecto311

Cool just got pro controller from amazon and now I can go back to my 2 hour save and get it rolling. Gaf scared me away from playing because there was 2 frame drops in an obscure part of the game and I considered it broken all around.

It's so sad that this is all over a 97 instead of a 98. Cringe tier man.

Drop that shit.

The poster mentioned not caring about metacritic and makes a valid point with the current rigid framework of reviews. Games change over time in the modern day, reviews should reflect this.

This thread isn't the best place for the discussion though.

KevinG

Cool just got pro controller from amazon and now I can go back to my 2 hour save and get it rolling. Gaf scared me away from playing because there was 2 frame drops in an obscure part of the game and I considered it broken all around.

A broken game doesn't get almost universally praised critically.

Did I just saw a major spoiler due to someone screaming about the spoiler? Seriously?! :(

Anyway, I'm glad the game has been improved.

The one place where I noticed the most severe frame drops, K. Forest, seems to be improved, though it isn't a constant 30 fps still. I'll take whatever stability I can get!

gardfish

For what it's worth (Wii U)--Moblins would always cause slowdown/rare freezes for me. Have fought a bunch since the patch came out and haven't had that problem yet tonight.

Fake spoilers should be a bit more obvious than that. Something like "Zelda is actually Tingle" or something like that would have got the point across fine.

You don't think
Princess Zelda Dies Woods of Death
isn't obvious enough?

Top Bottom