• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4st4

Originally Posted by Mortemis

This trailer was the best thing they could've shown, like holy fuck is it good.

So many things are pushing me away from buying the switch day one but this drags me in more than anything.

So much this. I'm still all teary and wasn't expecting such strong reaction.

Skeletos311

l0Ext6jlepsqRD32w.gif

Well yeah, maybe if I hadn't heard the Japanese trailer first I wouldn't be as critical. You're right, Zelda definitely sounds the worst of the bunch.

And hey, some of us waggle with our left hand

I'm not ready to unequivocally say Zelda is "worse," but the English VO was certainly much less suited for that particular spot in that particular trailer. It's a victim of editing more than anything else.

Haunted

Solid trailer. Leaning towards WiiU because I won't be able to get a Switch with Nintendo's usual launch allocations anyway, even if it looks like it's going to be acceptably cheap.

Cool to see Zelda crying in Link's arms and that's her job and he just comforts her like men are supposed to

Then she gets kidnapped

FUCKING Aonuma.

Was bummed about that (also bummed about Peach seemingly being back in her role as damsel in distress in the Super Mario Odyssey trailer). Aside from that, this trailer was incredible.

99Luffy

Banned
Ive always thought Zelda has been pretty mediocre when it came to art style and character design... Until now. I think I'll be tempted to get some merchandise.

takriel

Cool to see Zelda crying in Link's arms and that's her job and he just comforts her like men are supposed to

Then she gets kidnapped

FUCKING Aonuma.

Yeah, this is not a good thing in today's Western gaming landscape, and rightfully so.

Everything else looks absolutely amazing, though.

We got the farmville, the windmill place and the Gerudo settlement, seems to be the most towns since TP.

The different characters (minus the birds) do lean in to the OoT side of things, so that leads credence to that whole speculation.

Not

Banned
I mean, at least Zelda's VA sounds aces

It'll be cool when I'm rescuing her from the castle from a mean guy

Again

Hey cool Zoras are red now

(mat)

Then she gets kidnapped

FUCKING Aonuma.

Yeah, screw having the hero of this story doing hero things like saving people. At least we have Arms, where the promotional images show a woman punching a man.

Not

Banned
Yeah, this is not a good thing in today's Western gaming landscape, and rightfully so.

Everything else looks absolutely amazing, though.

I mean, for all its modernity Japan is surprisingly conservative and regressive, the way they handle gay people, the roles of women in fiction

I think all the baby boomers just gotta stop overseeing the stories

I guess the Western world is proving it's not much better lately

D.Va

Neo Member
Is that Zelda talking? She sounds... maybe she'll sound more like how I imagined in the JP version.

But what a great looking trailer.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope this is 3/3 on Wii U in Europe as well as in the US. I want a Switch eventually but there's just nothing that makes me want one right now.

Yeah, screw having the hero of this story doing hero things like saving people. At least we have Arms, where the promotional images show a woman punching a man.

Having a strong female character doesn't negate heroism...
Hopefully she becomes either playable, or more than what she was in the last few Zeldas

(mat)

Having a strong female character doesn't negate heroism...

I saw her as a shattered person who made mistakes to lead her land to failure, not a "classic crying woman". It felt emotional to me in a good way, not in a misogynistic way.

Not

Banned
I'm playing Wind Waker again and Tetra is so great until, because of her bloodline she has to put on a dress and be docile and useless SPOILERS

I'm expecting something similar in here too. "Oh look what a cool strong female character Zelda is look she's wearing pants AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND kidnapped"

zma1013

so... was link turning into a wolf at the end of the trailer?

No, he's hurt and someone is picking him up, you can see the hands around him. I think it's the princess. I'm assuming it's right before the crying scene considering all the dirt all over him in both scenes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I like that Zelda's allowed to get just as dirty as Link, not a fan that yet again she becomes a damsel in distress if "save my daughter" is any indication. Her getting kidnapped or put in danger and thus becoming the endgame goal is pretty tired at this point so hopefully they're trying to find some ways to deviate from that.

Merc_

Then she gets kidnapped

FUCKING Aonuma.

*Kickbacks*

Oh yeah, now this thread is really going to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom