• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeletos311

l0Ex6J3LHrqcpOycg.gif

l0Ex9h5iYaPvZL9ni.gif

AEREC

Switch in Portable mode is basically a slightly better Wii U. Docked is obviously better by a reasonable margin

Where are people getting this info from? Why do the games in the presentation look so graphically underwhelming compared to Wii U?

Master Sword in this game is called Master Sword of Resurrection

Story prediction:

Link died 100 years ago before the start of the game and was resurrected by the sword's power, or by the giant talking tree, or both. That's why he has amnesia. At the end of the game, when he has defeated Ganon, the sword returns to rest and Link vanishes.

The game is a love story and the first time that Zelda and Link fall in love, which makes the ending much like the Final Fantasy X ending when Link vanishes.

This won't ever happen, it's Nintendo

Melchior

Look great will be grabbing Switch day 1. I really just need to know if there will be voice options in the English version so I can use Japanese voices. If not I'll import.

Azzanadra

Meh, it was a cool trailer for a Nintendo game but this trailer I feel epitomizes the issue with Zelda- its one step away from becoming a legitimate, dare I say meaningful example of games as art, but Nintendo always holds back- like this trailer shows great potential, but the art-style of the game combined with the inevitable E10+ rating just goes to show how Nintendo is still targeting a "kiddy" audience as opposed to the core gamer.

Imagine if this game had an aesthetic that's like a cross between Witcher and Dark Souls, with a story in which Zelda is NOT a damsel in distress, one that embraces the darker aspects of Zelda lore rather than burying it- with a darker and mature tone, this franchise could truly become something else, like the videogame equivalent of Lord of the Rings or heck, without even needing to go crazy, becoming the videogame equivalent of the Avatar cartoons.

I just feel like Nintendo devalues the artistic and emotional aspects of their games, they still seem to think of videogames as toys as opposed to an artistic medium.

The thing that stood out to me most is that the story has weight to it. We see Hyrule getting destroyed, we see a desperate Zelda. I fucking can't wait to save this world.

The presentation has a real gravitas that has been missing from the series for far too long. Zelda is finally catching up to the kinds of games it has inspired.

reKon

Banned
Best Zelda trailer I've ever seen.

I don't even fuck with Zelda and I want this. Just not day one or anything. And I already feel like there are so many Zelda titles I haven't played that I really shouldn't play this until I get the ones that were on the Wii's, RIP them, and run on Dolphin.

Should I even bother?

So the Great Deku Tree. Which basically confirms it's either a sequel to OoT or Wind Waker. The later seems unlikely since the Wind Waker timeline has a direct sequel and a follow-up a good many years later, so that points more towards OoT. And since both TP and WW are sequels set 100 years later... Soooo... The counterpart to TP and WW from the 3rd timeline branch? The failed hero timeline? Which would make this a predecessor to A Link to the Past.

English VA sounds pretty bad. I hope this has dual audio?
Trailer was cool, but seemed very spoilery.
Some really bad framerate issues though, I really hope that's just the Wii U version.

Not

Banned
Cool to see Zelda crying in Link's arms and that's her job and he just comforts her like men are supposed to

Then she gets kidnapped

FUCKING Aonuma.

I take back whatever I said about VA, as long as Link stays mute I don't care. Hearing Zelda with some emotion about the shit that's going on is amazing

I apologize in advance for the cliché but the trailer made me think of Dark Souls in the best ways possible <3

The only thing that made me uncomfortable was Zelda's over the top crying, hope it doesn't get too melodramatic... but who knows, it's a post-apocalyptic world, maybe her state of mind will seem appropriate in context...

Overall, AMAZING trailer, one of the best ever. Can't wait for the game!

Meh, it was a cool trailer for a Nintendo game but this trailer I feel epitomizes the issue with Zelda- its one step away from becoming a legitimate, dare I say meaningful example of games as art, but Nintendo always holds back- like this trailer shows great potential, but the art-style of the game combined with the inevitable E10+ rating just goes to show how Nintendo is still targeting a "kiddy" audience as opposed to the core gamer.

Imagine if this game had an aesthetic that's like a cross between Witcher and Dark Souls, with a story in which Zelda is NOT a damsel in distress, one that embraces the darker aspects of Zelda lore rather than burying it- with a darker and mature tone, this franchise could truly become something else, like the videogame equivalent of Lord of the Rings or heck, without even needing to go crazy, becoming the videogame equivalent of the Avatar cartoons.

I just feel like Nintendo devalues the artistic and emotional aspects of their games, they still seem to think of videogames as toys as opposed to an artistic medium.
This sounds awful. The need to be tryhard edgy attitude people like you have is a bigger thing holding back the "games as art" than anything this Zelda does

Cool to see Zelda crying in Link's arms and that's her job and he just comforts her like men are supposed to

Then she gets kidnapped

FUCKING Aonuma.

Its a staple of the series (kidnapping), we get the Gerudo girl in the party for female representation.

Not

Banned

Awwww bummer dude someday maybe you'll get your M-rated Zelda game

mostly looks great, but cant help but worry about framerate, and some of the bland looking textures that were shown again. Hype tho.
Zelda looking like a damsel still... remember OoT Nintendo? people loved that shit

takriel

I agree with the damsel in distress critique, but everything else you say is bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom