• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's people voicing their annoyance with an overused trope, especially in the context of today's sensibilities. It's not a matter of it being allowed or not - it obviously is. But if this is the story they want to tell, people have a right in criticizing it.

We don't even know the fucking story. The same Zelda game that brought up Shiek and Impa was also about "saving a female".

Davide

Voice acting?

uu9pmDP.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You kidding? This looks more Ghibli than Ni No Kuni! I'm in love with it
No it doesnt? It looks more inspired by Princess Mononoke than Ni No Kuni but it doesn't look like Ghibli so much as it evokes the same feeling.

We don't even know the fucking story. The same Zelda game that brought up Shiek and Impa was also about "saving a female".
An annoying trope in Zelda games is that Zelda starts out deviating and at the very last moment becomes a damsel in distress. Shiek and Tetra being the most prominent examples.

zeldablue

I mean Link's awakening's ending is just Link waking up, which isn't that sad when you consider that those people never existed.

Oh c'mon. It was sad. Also spoilers to a 25 year old game... >__>

The game ends with Link on a log in the middle of the ocean, it wasn't that happy.

deoee

I might've agreed with you more before this trailer. Now I implore you just watch it again.

I watched it two times.

When they show the world it's 80% grass, the enemies seem to spawn at camps or certain points.
There's some horses and wildlife at two scenes I think

dreamfall

Theory, since the preceding dialogue before every Zelda scene is "You're ready to find out what happened 100 years ago," what if every single scene with Zelda in this trailer is from a flashback and she's sacrifices herself so that Link can make to the shrine of resurrection?

The collector's edition or me? :p

Bahaha both - nothing but love for you Crossing Eden! Every AC thread, I always enjoy!

VanWinkle

Man, I can't believe Horizon and this game are going to be releasing within three days of each other. I will be in beautiful open world nature RPG heaven.

Caelus

I watched it two times.

When they show the world it's 80% grass, the enemies seem to spawn at camps or certain points.
There's some horses and wildlife at two scenes I think

The game world does not entirely consist of the natural flora and fauna, they showed towns, areas of dungeons (presumably, there's like a clock tower thing and some lava area), enemies, etc. That's what people are excited about.

zeldablue

Ocarina of Time was more...Save the world-y with a save the female at the tail end.

Skyward Sword was basically all save the female.

I'm hoping for uh...Well I don't know what I want, but I don't want Skyward Sword. lol. I definitely hope it's more about the world and people this time around. It's what made Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask so great.

deoee

The game world does not entirely consist of the natural flora and fauna, they showed towns, areas of dungeons, enemies, etc. That's what people are excited about.

While there may be towns they still might be soulless and empty. FFXV comes to mind ...

I think the Zelda dungeons will great.

It's just sad that nearly every open world is just there for having open world.

Majin Boo

Dear god. I don't own a WiiU and I really don't want to buy the Switch at launch (if at all), but I NEED to play this game.

Tookay

Ocarina of Time was more...Save the world-y with a save the female at the tail end.

I'm hoping for uh...Well I don't know what I want, but I don't want Skyward Sword. lol. I definitely hope it's more about the world and people this time around. It's what made Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask so great.

SS wasn't about saving Zelda. She was pretty much saving herself and doing her own thing for most of the game, until the last hour or so.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh c'mon. It was sad. Also spoilers to a 25 year old game... >__>

The game ends with Link on a log in the middle of the ocean, it wasn't that happy.
It was bittersweet but you know what I mean, dream endings lose their impact quite a bit especially in a game. Rarely does dark stuff happen to the main heroes of Zelda. So many incarnations of Link and the only one who's died did it offscreen. Although he does wake up in a resurrection chamber so maybe he died 100 years ago and they're giving it another college try? Which is a pretty humorous scenario:

"Damn Link got fuuuuuckkkked up by Ganon, give him 100 years in this resurrection chamber, surely he'll win this time. >_>"

SS wasn't about saving Zelda. She was pretty much saving herself and doing her own thing for most of the game, until the last hour or so.
1113767_1346933218186_full.png

watershed

Banned
Thank god this game looks like it will have more than 1 town. I hope there are many human settlements out there. Skyward Sword was unforgivable in that regard, with literally only 1 town in the whole game.

Caelus

I feel SS subverted it at least a little bit by having Zelda go off on her own quest by purifying herself and activating the Master Sword, Link chases after her but doesn't really get anything done in that respect when it's Impa putting in all the work.

It looks like in the trailer Zelda is purifying herself in Hylia's spring again, her outfit is more equestrian and 'active' and she holds the slate in her amiibo, I feel like she has a more active role and the 'saving her' line might be referring to just chasing after her as opposing to snatching her up from distress. I could be wrong.

Oh man looks like the Gerudo have awesome land walrus looking badasses they ride around. I loved that shot with Link and the Gerudo

zeldablue

It was bittersweet but you know what I mean, dream endings lose their impact quite a bit especially in a game. Rarely does dark stuff happen to the main heroes of Zelda. So many incarnations of Link and the only one who's died did it offscreen. Although he does wake up in a resurrection chamber so maybe he died 100 years ago and they're giving it another college try? Which is a pretty humorous scenario:

"Damn Link got fuuuuuckkkked up by Ganon, give him 100 years in this resurrection chamber, surely he'll win this time. >_>"

Lol. You see this is why I think he dies. He's being held together by blue goo tech.

Merc_

If it's good enough for Goku, it's good enough for Link.

I didn't give a shit about this game before as it looked like an empty open world with not a lot to do.

But holy shit that trailer pushed me over the edge to make a pre-order for it and the Switch. Superb.

knkng

Do you think if it was a prince he would cry? I bet he'd just look really moody and his face would be all shadowed.

ANYWAY. Awakened the storm. I did post like 8 times though, so it's totally my fault. I don't have anything else to add to the discussion beyond "bummer," and "awesome," so...

I'm not even sure what you're arguing here. Yes, I've seen male characters cry. A prince specifically? I guess Vegeta when he was begging Goku to avenge his race? (I'm sure there are better examples out there)

The point I was making was about context. There's a world of difference between a female character crying due to "hysterics", and a female character crying due to loss. Based on the trailer, it doesn't appear to be anywhere along the lines of a princess locked in a tower awaiting rescue from a man. She seems to be an active participant in the story, and is at a point of emotional breakdown.

And I'm not mad or anything, you're criticisms just seem premature, and so far based on what has been shown, somewhat baseless.

Fliesen

I'm hyped. The voice acting seems really decent. While the open world doesn't strike me as that exciting, i hope the temples / dungeons are done well, and we see quite a lot of interesting designs in that trailer.

Caelus

Lol. You see this is why I think he dies. He's being held together by blue goo tech.

I remember the quote from the Old Man in the beginning of the game... "A shadow of the former self."

I hope he's referring to the Kingdom, himself (he's probably King Hyrule), and Link all at once.

I wonder when we can expect some comparison videos for wii u version to switch version.

Looks like I won't even be able to buy a switch day 1 even if I wanted to, seems sold out already online lol. Hopefully they can get some good stock in after release.

mr.beers

Fucking hell the English voice acting is so baaaaaaaad!

Not picking on you. I've played all the games that have what is considered amazing voice acting uncharted 4, portal 2, witcher 3, etc. and I don't think think this VO sounds bad at all. What I'm saying is I am glad I am unable to spot bad VO.

Not picking on you. I've played all the games that have what is considered amazing voice acting uncharted 4, portal 2, witcher 3, etc. and I don't think think this VO sounds bad at all. What I'm saying is I am glad I am unable to spot bad VO.

I don't think it sounds bad at all either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom