• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping we would see a Zelda themed console like this :(

FVnzLds.jpg

Zelda crying was amazing and lovely and all sorts of fantastic. We have never seen Zelda being THIS emotional. The closest was Skyward Sword. She was always an emotionally distant royalty.

Not

Banned
Zelda looks very active in this game. And Nintendo bothered to program cooperative/friendly AIs for this game. There’s a good chance Zelda…and even that white fox in the beginning can/will be helpers and or playable.

Yup. I hope so, co-op would be great. They did mention multiplayer way back in 2013.

I'm mostly upset over the "save my daughter" line. The crying doesn't help. But jeez louise, we had such hope for Nintenbro tears when it was possible Link was gonna be a girl in 2014. I'm STILL getting over that.

Hupsel

I think that by the end of the game Zelda will become the princess and wear her armor/royal dress like we saw in games like Twilight Princess and OOT. Maybe she will be the one to help Link kill the final boss - would be a nice twist if she was playable just for a few minutes in the last stage of the last battle, for example.

I also think that Link will get the green tunic only later on near the final battle :D

zeldablue

"Are we allowed to be ok with sexist tropes tho?"

I'd stop while you're ahead.

Lol it's a Zelda game. Link will get beaten up at most but since when don't these have happy endings?

I guess...Link's Awakening?

This Link doesn't really exist in this time period. And I feel like the story is going to be...different?

I guess I'm just setting myself up for disappointment when it turns out to be exactly the same plot from every mainline Zelda ever.

cyba89

it's people voicing their annoyance with an overused trope, especially in the context of today's sensibilities. It's not a matter of it being allowed or not - it obviously is. But if this is the story they want to tell, people have a right in criticizing it.

Maybe we should calm down and wait til the game is out so we actually know the story?

Zelda crying was amazing and lovely and all shorts of fantastic. We have never seen Zelda being emotional. The closest was Skyward Sword. She was always an emotionally distant royalty.

I think Twilight Princess Zelda was a quite subtle and clever take on her character. She's stone cold because she's pretty much given up, pragmatism leads to inaction.

Danielsan

That trailer brought tears to my eyes. Good lord, it looks insane. The music is so fucking good. Getting massive Ghibil vibes from this game still.

knkng

Why didn't Link break down tho?

It's a trope. Unemotional male hero comforts overly emotional woman. Stop defending it.

Link literally just woke up and doesn't even know who or where he is. Zelda is the princess of this land, appears to have been fighting to save her land, and has suffered some sort of major failure ("everything I did was for nothing").

At this point you know literally nothing about Zelda's character, her role in this story, and the circumstances under which she is crying. Keeping to the Ghibli vibe, this is like looking at a scene where Nausicaa is crying or despondent, and claiming that she is a damsel in distress.

At least wait for the game to come out before throwing around nonsensical criticisms.

Not

Banned
UrcnUkM.jpg

A GERUDO VILLAGE! F*** YES! They’re all back! ;___; YESSSS…And there’s no doubt the sages are back too and will probably be way more hands-on. I”M SO HAPPY! J@IWjadifjsl?Fgjn

This is everything...AHHHH...

Wow I just noticed the actual Gerudos down there. You're right!! Badass.

Caelus

Shit, after fucking years of asking for a proper Gerudo village in a Zelda game, we actually get one!

Nintendo please give me some in game co-op with Gerudo, Zora and Goron character please!

Fuck. Let's go save the girl again

Fuckin' Aonuma

MAN it must suck to be a girl in this world right now

Thankfully women have people like you to save them in the real world.

On TOPIC:

Zelda looks amazing in every way, but Nintendo literally betting everything on this game is worrisome.

Pacotez

It's a trope. Unemotional male hero comforts overly emotional woman. Stop defending it.

Yeah, women not being minorities really affects their positive representation in the media. Great point.

Because she is the who has been fighting and has bigger emotional attachment to whatever happened.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I guess...Link's Awakening?

This Link doesn't really exist in this time period. And I feel like the story is going to be...different?

I guess I'm just setting myself up for disappointment when it turns out to be exactly the same plot from every mainline Zelda ever.
I mean Link's awakening's ending is just Link waking up, which isn't that sad when you consider that those people never existed.

Not

Banned
Link literally just woke up and doesn't even know who or where he is. Zelda is the princess of this land, appears to have been fighting to save her land, and has suffered some sort of major failure ("everything I did was for nothing").

At this point you know literally nothing about Zelda's character, her role in this story, and the circumstances under which she is crying. Keeping to the Ghibli vibe, this is like looking at a scene where Nausicaa is crying or despondent, and claiming that she is a damsel in distress.

At least wait for the game to come out before throwing around nonsensical criticisms.

Do you think if it was a prince he would cry? I bet he'd just look really moody and his face would be all shadowed.

ANYWAY. Awakened the storm. I did post like 8 times though, so it's totally my fault. I don't have anything else to add to the discussion beyond "bummer," and "awesome," so...

"Awesome," "this is my game of forever-- probably," "bummer-- probably," and now I take my leave.

Thankfully women have people like you to save them in the real world.

Nah, the real world's full of aging male-only game supervisors

Nothing I can do brah

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the Wii U version runs well. Will be disappointing if it's gimpy since it will be a while before I get a Switch.

zeldablue

Yup. I hope so, co-op would be great. They did mention multiplayer way back in 2013.

I'm mostly upset over the "save my daughter" line. The crying doesn't help. But jeez louise, we had such hope for Nintenbro tears when it was possible Link was gonna be a girl in 2014. I'm STILL getting over that.

I feel like the closest we got was Spirit Tracks...
You play as Zelda in First Person while Link distracts the boss. That was badass
But likely the result of the DS Zeldas doing extremely well among Japanese girls.

I don't expect Zelda to be perfectly stoic. Also Link has amnesia and prolly has issues fully caring about stuff. There are usually other Zelda female characters that are much more on the rugged side eg Midna, Impa...Impa again. I usually gravitate and like those characters more than the princess because well...they're less whiny and weak.

Looks like Prince Ralis....Are we sure this is a girl? P:

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Fucking hell the English voice acting is so baaaaaaaad!
It really is, sincerely hope this trailer isn't indicative of the VA quality. Also how has no one ITT talked about the fact that Link is talking to the Great Deku tree?

People are excited for Horizon, however.
To their credit I have seen multiple people call Horizon generic looking due to having a "realistic artstyle" despite taking place in an arguably more original aesthetic than this game, (Ghibli).

Tookay

Meh, it was a cool trailer for a Nintendo game but this trailer I feel epitomizes the issue with Zelda- its one step away from becoming a legitimate, dare I say meaningful example of games as art, but Nintendo always holds back- like this trailer shows great potential, but the art-style of the game combined with the inevitable E10+ rating just goes to show how Nintendo is still targeting a "kiddy" audience as opposed to the core gamer.

Imagine if this game had an aesthetic that's like a cross between Witcher and Dark Souls, with a story in which Zelda is NOT a damsel in distress, one that embraces the darker aspects of Zelda lore rather than burying it- with a darker and mature tone, this franchise could truly become something else, like the videogame equivalent of Lord of the Rings or heck, without even needing to go crazy, becoming the videogame equivalent of the Avatar cartoons.

I just feel like Nintendo devalues the artistic and emotional aspects of their games, they still seem to think of videogames as toys as opposed to an artistic medium.

Yeah, no thanks.

I'll take my whimsical Ghibli-esque Zelda for all ages thank you very much.

pnutboy

Not sure if this has already been stated but it looks like the US boxart is the same as the Japanese one, according to Nintendo's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom