• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to armor; I'm wondering if it will be a case of "whatever has the best buffs for the situation" and everybody will look the same at certain parts of the game, like the water temple/fire temple for example. Or will there be a lot more freedom of choice for the player?

I kinda hope its the first option. Not the biggest fan of armor just for vanity and like it when it means something other then "this looks good".

On the other hand I don't want the green tunic being a hidden super armor that is just better then everything at the end since I've really liked how they have been able to move away from the iconic wear. Making the normal wear of Link something special because of it's "iconic" design stifles what they can do design wise. Like the Hyrule shield in Skyward Sword, or even the Master Sword in general. In some games they weren't even the "best" sword and shield you could get, even if the Master Sword was required for certain things, but recently you know that they are the endgame.

If we're talking about dungeon count, I'm wondering if there's significance to the nodes on the Shiekah symbol:

The surrounding pillars look like corrupted Shiekah tech.

Interesting observation. The 4 along the top half are orientated like the ones we have seen in the videos while the other ones are in places that if rotated would be hidden behind the castle/other pillars from the perspective that I've seen. I do think it is just a coincidence, and the kind of thing that if I hope for I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but still an interested observation. Hiding relevant information right in your face as well as cryptic symbols/designs actually meaning something is the kind of world building that I love.

So, this is to the best of my abilities, let me know of any mistakes or omissions. The coastal areas are hard to pin down, so the windmill town could also be in the south central region.

Eh, it seems like I haven't uncovered much that wasn't in the '16 E3 GameXplain analysis.

So is, uh, is all of this fully explorable? Like that little island in the bottom right too? The largest "open world" game I've ever played is probably GTA3 or Vice City (I don't count Minecraft) so I am having trouble really comprehending how big this game is.

I wonder what kind of invisible barriers will blow off the top and left-hand sides of the map.

m4st4

I can't go ten minutes without thinking about this game. Just hurry up with January and skip February please.

Tell me about it. The fact that my gaming has been on ice for almost six months and I've collected all there is in Super Mario Run isn't helping either. Almost a feverish feeling.

Earendil

4 main dungeons seems pretty clear at this point. They obviously correspond to the 4 big mech bosses (lizard, bird, two more), and defeating each one will rather obviously lower/deactivate the 4 pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle. So your main quest is to finish those four areas and dungeons, kill the four bosses, and then enter the castle to face Ganon.

But I think the dungeons will have a lot of lead-up to them, similar to MM. And on top of that you've of course got the 100 mini-dungeon shrines. Plus side-quests, collectathons, etc. There will be enough stuff to do in this game. Personally, I'm actually rather happy that the main dungeons are kept at a reasonable number given how much else there will be to do.

OK, I'm not picking on you, so please forgive me if it seems as if I am. But there are at least 5 pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle. I've seen the fifth in the videos, though it's hard to get a clean shot. So I've used the artwork they released a few days ago.

70x3AE7.png

Again, I don't mean to seem like I'm singling you out. Plenty people are still saying that since there are only 4 pillars, then there must only be four dungeons. There may still only be 4 dungeons, but if so, it has nothing to do with the number of pillars.

EDIT: I see someone else already pointed this out to you, so ignore my comments and just use the image as a visual reference. Thanks.

So is, uh, is all of this fully explorable? Like that little island in the bottom right too? The largest "open world" game I've ever played is probably GTA3 or Vice City (I don't count Minecraft) so I am having trouble really comprehending how big this game is.

I wonder what kind of invisible barriers will blow off the top and left-hand sides of the map.

I'd say more fully explorable than some other open-world games, given the climbing and gliding mechanics afford a bit more three-dimensional traversal. That island seems to have been there since the '14 demonstration, and given the raft we've seen, I don't see why it wouldn't be accessible.

Now, I actually don't think the size is too mind-bogglingly big, since we're able to pinpoint most of the areas going from footage. I don't know how fast the horses are, but if the whole map was level, I don't think it would take very long to completely travel. But nevertheless, it seems to be varied and detail-oriented, so there will be plenty to do.

mugwhump

Maybe “really disappointed” was an overstatement. But with how massive and epic this game appears to be, I was hoping the dungeon quality ‘and’ quantity mirrors that.

I know there will be a lot of shrines, but from my understanding those are mainly going to be relatively small.
10-15 shrines look about equivalent to 1 traditional dungeon to me, in terms of content. That, combined with 4 traditional dungeons, would easily give BOTW more "dungeon-like" content than any other 3d zelda

10-15 shrines look about equivalent to 1 traditional dungeon to me, in terms of content. That, combined with 4 traditional dungeons, would easily give BOTW more "dungeon-like" content than any other 3d zelda

As someone who is okay if it is just 4 dungeons, I don't think you can equate shrines to dungeons like that. Some of the appeal of dungeons in the past are them being a themed area that is all one thing, and something different from the rest of the areas of the game.

Hobbun

Very true. Still very excited for the game and already have it preordered. Unfortunately I was not able to get either of the collector’s editions. But that’s ok, the only thing I really kind of wanted was the cloth map.

Has anyone else heard anything on the guides for the game?

The last I heard, there are going to be three different strategy guides from Piggyback. A deluxe, collector and normal edition. Both the deluxe and collector editions are going to be hardcover. Not really sure what the difference will be, besides artwork on the covers. The deluxe and collector editions appear to be thicker (more info).

I like to collect guides as is, but the deluxe looks like a definite for me.

mugwhump

As someone who is okay if it is just 4 dungeons, I don't think you can equate shrines to dungeons like that. Some of the appeal of dungeons in the past are them being a themed area that is all one thing, and something different from the rest of the areas of the game.
Yeah, the big thing about the shrines, and probably the reason they're capable of making so many, is that they (presumably) share the same assets. There's always a tradeoff...

I'd say more fully explorable than some other open-world games, given the climbing and gliding mechanics afford a bit more three-dimensional traversal. That island seems to have been there since the '14 demonstration, and given the raft we've seen, I don't see why it wouldn't be accessible.

Now, I actually don't think the size is too mind-bogglingly big, since we're able to pinpoint most of the areas going from footage. I don't know how fast the horses are, but if the whole map was level, I don't think it would take very long to completely travel. But nevertheless, it seems to be varied and detail-oriented, so there will be plenty to do.

Are there any size comparisons out there to other games to get an idea how big the map is? I mean I'm not expecting it to take hours or days to walk from one end of the map to the other but do we know if it's like bigger than GTA3, or Twilight Princess, or Skyward Sword? (Never played SS and only played part of TP though)

megasus

Was wondering if this could be a dungeon entrance, considering Shrine entrances look similar:
0ysXdrT.jpg

And this could be inside a dungeon:

qi9Qw88.jpg

Yeah, the big thing about the shrines, and probably the reason they're capable of making so many, is that they (presumably) share the same assets. There's always a tradeoff...

The magic elevator style of them gives them a lot of flexibility too, could swap shrines around at the last minute if they wanted to without having to change anything in the overworld.

Are there any size comparisons out there to other games to get an idea how big the map is? I mean I'm not expecting it to take hours or days to walk from one end of the map to the other but do we know if it's like bigger than GTA3, or Twilight Princess, or Skyward Sword? (Never played SS and only played part of TP though)

Someone posted this earlier on the in the thread. Not sure how accurate it is, but it'll give you an idea.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Someone posted this earlier on the in the thread. Not sure how accurate it is, but it'll give you an idea.

This is fairly accurate I believe at least for BotW, Skyrim and WW give or take a bit. Though the calculations for BotW might be off as I was reading the Reddit thread where this was all calculated and it seem fairly possible that the height they used for Link was slightly off and map could be as large as 82 Sq km and not the 62 Sq km they use in that image. So that would be an increase of about 32%, which would make it like just under 2x the size of Skyrim's map and like 70% larger than The Witcher 3's combined maps.

It's a big freaking game no matter what.

mugwhump

C2abbR-UkAAzcTt.jpg:large
That seems wrong, at least the WW comparison. We've seen botw's lake hylia, and no way is it a fourth the size of the great sea.

Is he using character height as the metric of comparison? Because WW link is much shorter than botw link

Random question...Has anyone talked about how Zelda hasn't aged in 100 years either? She must've been in a similar cryo/healing state or under some anti aging spell all this time or at least a good amount of this time, right? I haven't seen anyone talk about this. I guess it would all be a speculation at this point since it doesn't seem we've gotten a single hint about it from the trailers.

Random question...Has anyone talked about how Zelda hasn't aged in 100 years either? She must've been in a similar cryo/healing state or under some anti aging spell all this time or at least a good amount of this time, right? I haven't seen anyone talk about this. I guess it would all be a speculation at this point since it doesn't seem we've gotten a single hint about it from the trailers.

Who says she hasn't aged? I personally think all of the "young" Zelda images we've seen are from past memories and Zelda in the present is an old woman. The "open your eyes" line sounds quite different from the rest of Zelda's dialogue.

Who says she hasn't aged? I personally think all of the "young" Zelda images we've seen are from past memories and Zelda in the present is an old woman. The "open your eyes" line sounds quite different from the rest of Zelda's dialogue.

It seems we've seen shots of her in the past and in the present. A lot of theory videos on YT seem to suggest this. That's pretty impressive for 100 years if she's aged!

I suppose all the scenes with her could be from the past so far. It's just that several theorists seemed to think we've seen her in both the past and present in that recent trailer so I just kind of accepted it. Who knows.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It seems we've seen shots of her in the past and in the present. A lot of theory videos on YT seem to suggest this. That's pretty impressive for 100 years if she's aged!

I suppose all the scenes with her could be from the past so far.

More than likely they are all in the past. Though I do hope that's not the case. It would be really interesting to see what they could do in an open world game like this with Zelda as a companion of ours in the present.

The one thing I will miss going from Wii U to Switch is not having the map on the tablet.

You can't miss what you never had. BotW wont have any gamepad functionality.

13ruce

Banned

She is hylia in mortal form surely she can use her power of wisdom to prevent her from getting any older.

Daphnes from Wind Waker still lived, and if the old man is the king too in this game he probably did the same. So i guess the bloodline related to Hylia can live longer if needed in grave situations that are a danger to hyrule.

BY2K

Membero Americo

I suppose all the scenes with her could be from the past so far. It's just that several theorists seemed to think we've seen her in both the past and present in that recent trailer so I just kind of accepted it. Who knows.

She probably was in stasis like Link

More than likely they are all in the past. Though I do hope that's not the case. It would be really interesting to see what they could do in an open world game like this with Zelda as a companion of ours in the present.

I believe one thing that suggests she's been seen in the past and present is that there are both scenes where she has the Sheikah Slate and Link does not, and also scenes where Link now has the Sheikah Slate and she doesn't.

Just going off memory there from the many analysis videos I've seen, could be wrong.

She is hylia in mortal form surely she can use her power of wisdom to prevent her from getting any older.

Daphnes from Wind Waker still lived, and if the old man is the king too in this game he probably did the same. So i guess the bloodline related to Hylia can live longer if needed in grave situations that are a danger to hyrule.

This sounds right to me :D Forgot that Zelda herself was wielding some pretty crazy looking magic to try and save Link from that Guardian. Who knows what she's capable of in this game.

Nintendo should just come out and say how big the map is - at least something like "Compared to this or this, it's considerably larger" or "This is one the largest game worlds ever created" - something like that.

Coffinhal

Nintendo should just come out and say how big the map is - at least something like "Compared to this or this, it's considerably larger" or "This is one the largest game worlds ever created" - something like that.

Letting the people on forums debate on this forever is a better strategy.

I was similarly hyped for tp

And SS

They get me every damn time...

Same, but for those my mind was seeing what it wanted to and I've tried to avoid that here. Like for SS I saw WW2, but in the sky, with the same kind of seamlessness and exploration of the great sea but with flying. Clearly it's not what it gave. It's only the last trailer for this that has gotten me super hyped about things I don't know and I'm trying to contain it.

They already compared with TP. But i honestly don't think raw game size is important. It's the way they use that space and BOTW is doing that right

Hydrus

I preordered the Wii U version! I've waited so long for this! Lol before the switch reveal, I was ready to get rid of my Wii U in an instant. Now, I wanna hold onto this thing forever!

Nere

Since the Wii U didn't sold that well what do you think are the chances of Nintendo of porting games from the Wii U to the switch? I really want to play wind waker and twilight princess hd but don't really want to buy a wii u for them.

Cerium

Looking at some of the fanart it occurs to me that this game has incredible potential for DLC.

What if you could buy a Minish Cap hat?

A Majora's Mask?

Etc.

Cerium

Since the Wii U didn't sold that well what do you think are the chances of Nintendo of porting games from the Wii U to the switch? I really want to play wind waker and twilight princess hd but don't really want to buy a wii u for them.

If anything I think a Skyward Sword HD will be more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom