• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caelus

It's unfathomable how much bigger and more in-depth this game looks than Skyward Sword, it's so hard to imagine a Zelda game having this much content and size, even though I'm used to other big open-world games.

The Lamp

Great. Now I know the
4 creatures and their appearance on the map
?

Did I stumble into a spoiler thread or are people getting kind of careless with this stuff?

I was kind of hoping to discover this by exploring, like the rest of the game.

Great. Now I know the
?

Did I stumble into a spoiler thread or are people getting kind of careless with this stuff?

??

All of the information people are seeing is being taken from trailers or from presentations from Nintendo plus translations.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What are some good movies to watch that are similar to The Legend of Zelda?

Legend 1985 would be the closest live action. Willow, Labyrinth and Dark Crystal maybe as well. The Black Cauldron. Pretty much a bunch of the Studio Ghibli films like Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke(this especially), Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, Tales From Earthsea. Recent movies like Kubo and the Two Strings was quite good and similar-ish.

Caelus

I doubt it to be honest because how are they going to work out the controls on the Switch?

Joy-cons have motion control on part with or better than motion+.

Skyward Sword doesn't use IR except to calibrate, which they can work around.

I'd actually be down for a Skyward Sword HD with camera control... and a fixed Fi.

I doubt it to be honest because how are they going to work out the controls on the Switch?
The joycons have gyro and are probably the most comparable controllers to wiimotes out there. Shouldn't too hard, though I do wonder if they'd allow a game that can't really be played in handheld mode. 1-2 Switch makes me lean towards yes.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd really, really like to see Skyward Sword with HD rumble.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I'd actually be down for a Skyward Sword HD with camera control... and a fixed Fi.

Considering the lack of a sensor-bar for the Switch I doubt there's even a need to calibrate the Joycons anymore :p

Also Death Mountain creature:

which seems to be one of the 4 creatures on the map:

Also this one:

can also be seen on the map:

The bird is obvious so the only one missing is:
IXNm7oU.png

Since all of these mechanical creatures seem quite large, I think it's likely that they themselves are the dungeons, meaning it takes place inside of them.

So the Goron dude helps you get to the frog, the gerudo to the Camel ,Falco to the bird and some Zora to the Mammoth.

Hindl

Great. Now I know the
?

This was all in the trailer and Treehouse. If you're intending on avoiding all analysis about it you might want to go on media blackout

rtrbad

Banned

People are comparing the sensitivity and accuracy of the motion sensing in each of the joy con to that of the Oculus and Vive. Both of which are more expensive per controller than two joy con in a package.

I'd say SS would be a good bet for a remake on this console, if not, at least they know they always have it as an option, since all of the pieces required are there.

Caelus

People are comparing the sensitivity and accuracy of the motion sensing in each of the joy con to that of the Oculus and Vive. Both of which are more expensive per controller than two joy con in a package.

That's real interesting, those joy-con sure are remarkable pieces of engineering.

I have a feeling that the line between traditional dungeons, bosses, and and the overworld will be very blurred in this game. Getting to that large mechanical beast boss dungeon looking thing by scaling death mountain would probably require a bit of exploration/combat (like an extended version of the foggy jungle in the the VGA gameplay footage) in a way that'd resemble a dungeon from Zelda 1 (tough enemies with very simple puzzles) mixed with Skyward Sword's surface areas, while the "boss" at the very end is probably more puzzle based, like a bigger, more complex version of a shrine. More traditional bosses are placed randomly around the world to compensate probably, but I personally feel like we won't see traditionally themed, uniquely defined dungeons as we think of them.

what-ok

Another thing I have been thinking on...Since the voice in the intro says wake up link, then it's safe to say that you can't rename the hero. It is Link no matter what.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm gonna bet there is no instrument this time.

Same. Not sure that's something they'll use here. The Runes I think are the real focus.

I did mention before that the Sheikah Slate could be a fantastic synthesizer where we take other music from the world, like the song Kass plays on his accordion, and then use that to solve musical puzzles by having to cut and paste arrangements into the correct order or into a new order.

But I very much doubt we'll see that as cool as it would be.

Speely

Banned
I cant believe were less than 2 months away until new Zelda

Holy crap

My hype grows with each day. The trailer is so good that I can't fucking stand the wait. Not sure yet how I am going to handle two of my most-wanted games of 2017 launching so close together (this and Torment.) Both huge games that will obv require serious investment.

I will already be playing Torment when Zelda releases, but I will HAVE to dive in day one. I have a feeling Zelda's gonna win this battle.

I hadn't seen this video until just now, but these Youtube theorists do in fact believe that Zelda
likely went into a state of cryo preservation just like Link did for the 100 or so years.

*spoilers in video for backstory of game*

https://youtu.be/qz78oOAloVQ?t=542

Really love Commonwealth Realm, Zeltik, and Dr. Wily's stuff on YT.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hadn't seen this video until just now, but these Youtube theorists do in fact believe that Zelda
likely went into a state of cryo preservation just like Link did for the 100 or so years.

*spoilers in video for backstory of game*

https://youtu.be/qz78oOAloVQ?t=542

Really love Commonwealth Realm, Zeltik, and Dr. Wily's stuff on YT.

She very well could have entered a state of suspended animation like what occurred in Skyward Sword. We do see a light emanating from atop Hyrule Castle when she speaks to Link atop the Great Plateau Tower, so she could very well be in that location in an effort to help contain Ganon.

My big question is from what we've seen is how would Zelda get back there if that is the case with all the Guardians roaming everywhere. Second would be what happened to the Guardians, or likely didn't. Was Link their only target? As they didn't seem to care about killing Zelda when she was protecting him. We have seen them destroying Castle Town, but outside that scene they seem completely focused on Link. As well they don't seem to have been deactivated for the last 100 years and yet we know there are at least 3 largish settlements and probably some 15 trading outposts throughout the world with people traveling between them. Do they just not care about that stuff?

I still think the focus on Link and his injuries/death is possibly misplaced. The Master Sword got royally messed up and it very well could be what really needs the 100 years to repair and not Link. They might have just thrown him on ice because he's the one they need to wield when the time comes.

Youtubers can be entertaining to watch for speculation and tidbits, but a lot of them have a serious problem with over dramatizing information and extrapolating things to bizarre lengths with and annoying certainty to their wild claims. They also have a tendency to be oddly uniformed and wrong about really basic stuff, probably due to their haste to put out videos right after new info and footage comes out.

zeldablue

In the initial teaser trailer we see the guardians aim and shoot at the farmers near Link. You even hear them scream when it happens, so it looks like the robots target more than just Link.

Maybe when Zelda is purified she can stun guardians or something. Maybe that helped her through the castle. I mean...Zelda usually gives Link the Light arrows and those are usually really effective for endgame enemies.

And yeah, I agree about the theorists on YT. They have theories that they've held onto for a long time and they'll stretch everything to fit those fan theories.

The biggest fan theory gripe I have is the one that constantly claims that the Sheikah did something evil or something. The Sheikah can seem pretty shady but there really is nothing to back those sorts of theories. :/

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
In the initial teaser trailer we see the guardians aim and shoot at the farmers near Link. You even hear them scream when it happens, so it looks like the robots target more than just Link.

Maybe when Zelda is purified she can stun guardians or something. Maybe that helped her through the castle. I mean...Zelda usually gives Link the Light arrows and those are usually really effective for endgame enemies.

And yeah, I agree about the theorists on YT. They have theories that they've held onto for a long time and they'll stretch everything to fit those fan theories.

The biggest fan theory gripe I have is the one that constantly claims that the Sheikah did something evil or something. The Sheikah can seem pretty shady but there really is nothing to back those sorts of theories. :/

Fair point, though I'm not sure what kind of stock I would put in a nearly 3 year old reveal trailer.

Still begs the question were the Guardians dormant for the past 100 years, were they active and just waiting for Link, or were they active and attacking the populace that remained and if so how on earth did they survive?

zeldablue

Fair point, though I'm not sure what kind of stock I would put in a nearly 3 year old reveal trailer.

Still begs the question were the Guardians dormant for the past 100 years, were they active and just waiting for Link, or were they active and attacking the populace that remained and if so how on earth did they survive?

Good question. If I had to guess, the Gaurdians only kill people who are in proximity to Hyrule Castle. Maybe Calamity Ganon's influence is too weak when a guardian is "out of bounds."

I'm extremely excited to see how complex the NPC schedules are and just how vulnerable they are to enemies. Seeing the travelers walk around and have speech bubbles over their heads gets me all giddy. And according to the Tree house guy people of all races pass by. Man that's cool. Traveling Zoras and Gorons galore. ;____;

WadeitOut

It's weird. I normally don't like replaying games I played within the last couple of years but I would love a SS HD remake. I didn't like the game at all at first but I ended up loving it to death.

Flare

Ok, I'm not quite getting it. Can one go exclusive Gyro, no right stick aiming at all?

From what I've seen, it's right shoulder to bring out the bow, aim with right stick or gyro (likely an option to enable motion controls), and fire with same shoulder button.

Mr. F

Banned
I've been kind of out of the loop. Was there any ever consensus on whether or not the visuals took a hit between the initial reveal and now? I feel the areas have been relatively barren compared to that announcement trailer so it's hard to compare.

Youtubers can be entertaining to watch for speculation and tidbits, but a lot of them have a serious problem with over dramatizing information and extrapolating things to bizarre lengths with and annoying certainty to their wild claims. They also have a tendency to be oddly uniformed and wrong about really basic stuff, probably due to their haste to put out videos right after new info and footage comes out.

Sure. I don't think their opinions/theories are the be all and end all, but it's fun to hear what these guys think as they do painstakingly study the crap out of this IP and the trailers. They then deliver their content with great enthusiasm and dramaticism. It's all in good fun. There are some of these guys who I think are often bs'ing, but generally I've never thought this about Zeltik, Wily, or Commonwealth.

It seems likely one of two things happened to Zelda (ok now 3 with your suspended animation theory :D) in this 100 year time period. I'm not sure why, but I'm so intrigued with exactly what happened with her during this time. We'll find out soon.

I've been kind of out of the loop. Was there any ever consensus on whether or not the visuals took a hit between the initial reveal and now? I feel the areas have been relatively barren compared to that announcement trailer so it's hard to compare.

It's funny, I've actually been researching that very same thing.

The initial reveal trailer with Eiji Aonuma sitting in the foreground and saying "That's one convention we can keep, right?" - in it, at the very start, they had the sunlight at *just the right angle* so that it was dancing across the top of the grass, giving it that white sheen. In some of the other trailers, the grass shows up mostly green, thus leading some to believe that there was a downgrade - but in the newer, near-final build footage, it does the same thing as the reveal trailer; so it's all dependent on what angle/time of day it's being viewed from.

I've also noticed that in the new, near-final build footage, that shadows are cast by the clouds on the ground, which wasn't apparent until now.

I think in the launch trailer, the texturing, animations and environmental detail are even better than the reveal trailer. I wouldn't say that they've downgraded the game in the slightest. In fact, they've improved it. The game looks more like a playable anime now than it did in the reveal trailer. I would go as far as to say that this game looks more like a playable anime than even "Anubis: Zone of the Enders" ["Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner" here in the states] - and that's truly amazing to say!

Maybe it's just that the footage we've been seeing recently is on the Nintendo Switch and that is what makes the difference; but if that's the version you purchase, you are getting a version that is as good as or even better than the initial reveal trailer.

This is all coming from someone that has poured over all of the trailers for hours everyday - for about a week - just to see if there was a downgrade :)

Cerium

The reveal trailer has more grass and less fog and everything is literally a little shinier.

It's not a huge difference though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I didn't realize it at the time, but this looks so similar to the crystals the maidens (and Zelda herself) are preserved in in LttP. It's blockier and a different color, but still.

Zelda_ALttP_first_crystal.png

Then again, a crystal is a crystal.

The reveal trailer has more grass and less fog and everything is literally a little shinier.

It's not a huge difference though.

Look at some of the recent press demo footage and you'll see that it looks identical- if not better.

The footage from the reveal trailer was shot in a location that we've not seen yet - so there might be more grass there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom