• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of The Wild The Game Awards Trailer (Towns, Zelda, NPCs, etc..)

I can agree with this post.
It's how I'm feeling right now playing through FFXV. That game shouldn't have been open world. There's no point to it other than an appeal to the west.
We'll see how Zelda turns out but I'm not holding my breath, pun intended.

I don't think FFXV is as bad as an open world as some say it is. The moments when you're going to some place and maybe check out a few spots along the way that lead to exciting moments or even a dungeon are phenomenal moments. Those specific journeys are the best aspects of open world because they're player driven. Zelda (Smartly) makes that it's core design, the game sets the Shrines and dungeons like in Zelda 1 as Link's core destinations. The side content thus acts like surprises in the journey to get to these shrines and dungeons.

The beginning of the game is quite dense in terms of activities, in that introduction you've probably cooked ingredients to scale a mountain within a time limit, encountered Guardians who are scary are hell but needed to blow a hole in the wall to get to a shrine, solved several puzzles about your Rune abilities, defeated a boss through climbing it, scrappily defeated a couple Bokoblin Camps and experimented with your abilities in a relatively safe environment, did some platforming to cross a river after felling some logs in the correct manner after which you sail across using a korok leaf and probably climbed a bit of the mountain by reading the cliffside and sledded down said mountain.

I don't think Zelda will be wanting for gameplay variety because 1. You generally have a destination in mind in the world and 2. the mechanics facilitate a varied amount of play based on what we've seen so far.

RagnarokX

I'm still skeptical the plateau represents all of Hyrule field as well. While the ToT and Castle are correctly oriented to OoT nothing else about the town is. Almost the entire north ridge of the plateau is the wall of Castle Town and the entrance there to. The rest of the town as well is oriented North and not West like the ToT and Hyrule Castle are. I think it's a 50/50 chance of being just Castle Town and Hyrule Castle or that and Hyrule Field.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Though I don't share the same belief that they were fully cognizant of the split at the time of making OoT, let alone deliberate in doing so, but they most definitely were at the time of making WW since that's the whole premise playing up on the Adult timeline. I just meant the importance of the split to the series as a whole increased after Wind Waker, and I should have added with the release of TP, as that was the point at which fan interest really became much more focused on the timeline and how each game related to one another. With all sorts of fan theories and such. It got to the point that they had to canonize the series timeline.

The end of SS so far doesn't matter even if it technically creates a similar split because unless they make a game that specifically deviates from the current timeline along that break it won't matter. It will remain simply a "what if" just as the adult timeline would have had they never made WW and just kept on after MM on the Child Timeline.
They were definitely cognizant of the split when they created OoT. They wouldn't have made that model of Young Link with the triforce in his hand if they weren't deliberately setting that up. They created that model just for that one scene. Of course I'm not saying that they had Wind Waker planned out then; they came up with the idea for Wind Waker some time between 2000 and 2001.

As for the timeline, despite people saying how complicated it is it never really was. The games themselves made it pretty clear how it all fit together and the only areas where people were confused were the NES/SNES games because it didn't make sense for them to follow Wind Waker or Twilight Princess and the Four Swords games because they didn't have strong connections like the other games. I'm baffled that people STILL think the timeline is bogus even though the games are pretty clear about it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They were definitely cognizant of the split when they created OoT. They wouldn't have made that model of Young Link with the triforce in his hand if they weren't deliberately setting that up. They created that model just for that one scene. Of course I'm not saying that they had Wind Waker planned out then; they came up with the idea for Wind Waker some time between 2000 and 2001.

As for the timeline, despite people saying how complicated it is it never really was. The games themselves made it pretty clear how it all fit together and the only areas where people were confused were the NES/SNES games because it didn't make sense for them to follow Wind Waker or Twilight Princess and the Four Swords games because they didn't have strong connections like the other games. I'm baffled that people STILL think the timeline is bogus even though the games are pretty clear about it.

I really don't see how the ToC being present is some smoking gun that they were purposely setting up the split. It was symbolic of his entire journey through the course of the game and his growth as a character. Showing that despite Zelda reversing everything, returning him to his child state permanently, he was still the Hero of Time and worthy of the ToC, which transcends time and space.

The ToC being present in the past or not doesn't affect whether there is a split or not, because only thing that is required is that Adult Zelda and Link made an alteration in time by sending him back permanently and most importantly by altering the future events by preventing Ganondorf's coup at Hyrule Castle which preceded his attempt to enter the Sacred Realm and acquire the Triforce. Technically speaking that future timeline could just as easily not exist after that point as Link prevented it form occurring. Only by exploring that "What if" scenario that is TWW does it actually become a thing that persists.

The fact that Link still bears the ToC is not at all indicative that the Adult timeline still persisted at that point. That it being on his hand in the past means Zelda as an adult in the future still bears her ToW and thus still exists along with that whole timeline or anything. It just means that the Triforce is not bound to the flow of time. I mean that's the entire setup for TP and Ganondorf being sent to the Twilight Realm. Despite never entering the Sacred Realm and touching the Triforce he still bears the ToP which prevented his execution by the Sages.

As well, timeline confusion and debates were a thing for many years, it was never simple or clear cut, even when Nintendo happened to weigh in on things, be it Miyamoto and Aonuma or NoA. Certain games had definitive connections, but there was never a universally agreed upon set of events. Debates and theories went on for over a decade. Gametrailers did a 6 part series examining the franchise and speculating on the timeline. It was a thing up until Hyrule Historia came out.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-legend-of-zelda-timeline-theories

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ah shit we're in the theorizing phase again! The best phase! Gonna sink my teeth into what you guys have been speculating

Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild.jpg

Nintendo-Switch-Shot-02.jpg

Its much closer to a switch than a gamepad

Everytime I see the switch Im fascinated and I want to hold one right now........

I like the gamexplain analysis but one thing im not keen on is that one npc disappearing so close. That guy was way too close to fade out like that.

He either magical or the game was glitching

RagnarokX

I really don't see how the ToC being present is some smoking gun that they were purposely setting up the split. It was symbolic of his entire journey through the course of the game and his growth as a character. Showing that despite Zelda reversing everything, returning him to his child state permanently, he was still the Hero of Time and worthy of the ToC, which transcends time and space.

The ToC being present in the past or not doesn't affect whether there is a split or not, because only thing that is required is that Adult Zelda and Link made an alteration in time by sending him back permanently and most importantly by altering the future events by preventing Ganondorf's coup at Hyrule Castle which preceded his attempt to enter the Sacred Realm and acquire the Triforce. Technically speaking that future timeline could just as easily not exist after that point as Link prevented it form occurring. Only by exploring that "What if" scenario that is TWW does it actually become a thing that persists.

The fact that Link still bears the ToC is not at all indicative that the Adult timeline still persisted at that point. That it being on his hand in the past means Zelda as an adult in the future still bears her ToW and thus still exists along with that whole timeline or anything. It just means that the Triforce is not bound to the flow of time. I mean that's the entire setup for TP and Ganondorf being sent to the Twilight Realm. Despite never entering the Sacred Realm and touching the Triforce he still bears the ToP which prevented his execution by the Sages.

As well, timeline confusion and debates were a thing for many years, it was never simple or clear cut, even when Nintendo happened to weigh in on things, be it Miyamoto and Aonuma or NoA. Certain games had definitive connections, but there was never a universally agreed upon set of events. Debates and theories went on for over a decade. Gametrailers did a 6 part series examining the franchise and speculating on the timeline. It was a thing up until Hyrule Historia came out.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-legend-of-zelda-timeline-theories
The Triforce of Courage is how they showed that sending Link back in time was creating an alternate timeline. It's Link and Zelda meeting for the first time in this new timeline, but things are different. It's a very small detail that most people don't notice, and one they had to deliberately put in. They may not have thought about the full ramifications of what child Link having the triforce meant at that time (they clearly thought about it when they made TP since TP happens because of that), but the point of that scene was to show an alternate timeline being made; events happening differently, which is what the split is. There could be nothing but a split timeline after OoT. The only question is if they intended to show what followed each fork they created at the time.

As for the great timeline debate period, yes I know there was a lot of discussion on it. However the following things were very clear from the games themselves and from developer interviews:

OoT -> ALttP -> OoX -> Link's Awakening -> Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2
SS -> MC -> OoT -> MM -> TP
.........................\-> WW -> PH -> ST

That is the majority of the games and only leaves out Four Swords and Four Sword Adventures since those could have gone pretty much anywhere after MC. This much was very clear and anyone that argued a different order from this wasn't paying attention to the facts available. There was a famous Miyamoto interview that had an incorrect order, but that was a mistranslation. Even Miyamoto was on board with the split timeline idea. But misinformation gets spread around a lot. Just look at how many people still believe that Nintendo said there would be no towns in BotW and have based theories around that piece of misinformation.

Most of the debate amongst theorists was where the hell ALttP and the games that follow it fit into the timeline, since WW, TP, and ALttP are all supposed to follow OoT directly but there were only 2 timelines. So you got a lot of various theories about which of the two timelines those games were in until 2011 when Nintendo was like "Surprise! There are three timelines!" Which I'm totally fine with. It's the simplest explanation.

But you had a lot of people saying crap like split timeline was a fan theory and that it made no sense and all of the games retold the same story. But the majority of the games have always made it clear that they were sequels/prequels. The split timeline came from OoT itself and Miyamoto and Aonuma first talked about how OoT created a split timeline in a 2002 interview. I don't even know how this ended up being called the "split timeline theory." Miyamoto and Aonuma weren't that vague about it.

So, I mean, we had a clear-cut order of 8 games (SS, MC, OoT, MM, PH, WW, PH, and ST) and we knew clearly how the 5 games in the Fallen Hero timeline fit together, but not how the 8 and 5 fit together.

TheMoon

After pouring over it for a while I've come to the conclusion that the minimap is essentially useless since, although it has some lines in it, those lines are likely just elevation contours. The minimap spins so that the direction the camera is facing is up. And it's too zoomed-in to see any details that we could see on the zoomed-out map.

HOWEVER...

qJJyOya.jpg

That's Death Mountain.

vreFPGZ.jpg

And so's that.

We know what most of the areas of the map are. The only ones we really don't know are the areas south of the starting area from the 2014 Game Awards footage and the areas southeast and east of Death Mountain.

So I would say that Zonai ruins is at one of these locations:
RxJeTsH.jpg

So basicially they're doing Stranglethorn Valley from WoW :D

Jungle area by the coast. Me like.

ReyVGM

I like the gamexplain analysis but one thing im not keen on is that one npc disappearing so close. That guy was way too close to fade out like that.

He either magical or the game was glitching

Link changed something in the past that caused that NPC to be erased from existence.

The Triforce of Courage is how they showed that sending Link back in time was creating an alternate timeline.

There's really nothing signaling to us that Link didn't have the Triforce of Courage every single time he was sent back to the past, since as of Ocarina of Time there isn't any indication that the mark is persistent, just that it resonates in certain situations.

And likewise there's nothing (in the games themselves) signaling to us that Ganondorf never entered the Sacred Realm in the past Link was sent back to. Even Twilight Princess is incredibly vague on this point.

People point to Zelda's presence in the castle gardens as some kind of irrefutable evidence that it's a literal repeat of their first meeting, but we don't know what happened or how much time passed between her initial flight from the castle and Ganon's eventual attack after he gained the Triforce of Power. She could have returned if it was believed that Ganondorf had disappeared and possibly been defeated by Link, as was their original plan (when in fact he had made it into the Sacred Realm).

Hell, even if you say that Link having the Triforce of Courage is some kind of signal of what's happening in this past, it could just as well signal to Link (and to Zelda) that Ganondorf has obtained the Triforce of Power and that she needs to be ready for the events of Ocarina of Time which will follow. Her purpose for sending Link back was really just to make up for his lost childhood; he'd already resolved the issue of Ganondorf taking over Hyrule (as an adult).

We needed confirmation from Aonuma to absolutely affirm that there was a timeline split, and that sending Link back to the past was a way to prevent the events of Ocarina of Time from happening. A split timeline was still a very good theory, but it was based on resolving the inconsistencies between The Wind Waker and A Link to the Past, which the actual split timeline failed to do without a post-facto made-up explanation that laid out a third timeline that has nothing to do with the events we see in-game.

The thing about it "looking empty"

You can literally say that about any massively open-world game ever that have plains of emptiness between quests/locations. Perhaps within those plains you have collectables, some loot to find.

Not sure what people are expecting, as if every inch is to be filled. That's expectations way too high for any video game budget.

The thing about it "looking empty"

You can literally say that about any massively open-world game ever that have plains of emptiness between quests/locations. Perhaps within those plains you have collectables, some loot to find.

Not sure what people are expecting, as if every inch is to be filled. That's expectations way too high for any video game budget.

Also based on that Gamexplain video showing the NPC vanishing as the camera panned, we can expect quite a lot of pop-in as you get closer in view to NPCs, enemies, objects, or maybe even buildings- at least for the Wii U version.

So it may look a bit empty from miles away but once you get up close, who knows what could be in the world.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Also based on that Gamexplain video showing the NPC vanishing as the camera panned, we can expect quite a lot of pop-in as you get closer in view to NPCs, enemies, objects, or maybe even buildings- at least for the Wii U version.

So it may look a bit empty from miles away but once you get up close, who knows what could be in the world.

Yep. If you look at any of the E3 footage where they zoom in on Hyrule Castle you can actually pretty clearly see the empty area in front of it where the ruined Castle Town we saw in the last trailer is supposed to be. You can actually see some sections of destroyed wall but that's it. But nothing of the buildings or fountain or other spikes show up when you are looking at from nearly 1/4 the way across the map, even through the Sheikah Slate.

It would be great if Switch version has better draw distance for at least the immediate vicinity stuff. Though I highly doubt they would make new LOD assets which is likely what much of the world really needs for stuff like the aforementioned Castle Town.

Dremorak

Banned
Anyone saying it looks empty hasn't read that theres over 100 shrines to explore/ complete, hasnt seen that theres environmental puzzles with chest rewards in the overworld as well, hasnt seen all the cool physics stuff to play around with, and all the ways that plays into the crafting we've seen thus far. ON TOP of that, its a freakin zelda game, with proper dungeons and bosses and story and all that shit.

IN MY VEINS NINTENDO

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Empty comment is just weird because look at a game like GTAV, which most consider the pinnacle of open world design. You really have nothing to do in the world, there's plenty of stuff put in there, but there little to no way to interact with it. Yeah you can go anywhere on the map and there's like 30 odd random events that can occur in the game, one or two obscure collection quests, and the NPC AI is pretty amusing, but the world is pretty much completely static outside missions. Yet it's still incredibly engaging and fun to play, because it's well put together and the gameplay is rock solid.

The Witcher 3 is similar. The world is completely static and non-interactive for the most part, it's not nearly a dense as GTAV, with pockets of civilization here and there and lots and lots of barren open spaces, but there are various things to find in those open spaces. From enemy nests, loot, caves and pockets of enemies and high level monsters. It's a believable world that has an appropriate amount of things to do in the world that don't feel too congested, but also not too sparse.

Despite the almost non-existant interaction the player can have with the actual gameworld both games are still incredibly fun to play and their open world design is an asset.

BotW on the other hand has a fully interactive and dynamic world. Destructible objects, physics and the ability to actually scale any surface. That alone provides a wealth of interesting player interactions, which we already saw a great many in the E3 demos. People finding out interesting ways to use the game's physics, environment and even enemies themselves to come up with interesting and surprising solutions to puzzles and combat. Add in the 100 Shrines of Trials, random high level enemies like the Steppe Talus, collectibles like the Korok Seeds and probably a lot more and you've got a whole lot in the world to keep you busy.

Vibed

The Triforce of Courage is how they showed that sending Link back in time was creating an alternate timeline. It's Link and Zelda meeting for the first time in this new timeline, but things are different. It's a very small detail that most people don't notice, and one they had to deliberately put in. They may not have thought about the full ramifications of what child Link having the triforce meant at that time (they clearly thought about it when they made TP since TP happens because of that), but the point of that scene was to show an alternate timeline being made; events happening differently, which is what the split is. There could be nothing but a split timeline after OoT. The only question is if they intended to show what followed each fork they created at the time.

As for the great timeline debate period, yes I know there was a lot of discussion on it. However the following things were very clear from the games themselves and from developer interviews:

OoT -> ALttP -> OoX -> Link's Awakening -> Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2
SS -> MC -> OoT -> MM -> TP
.........................-> WW -> PH -> ST

That is the majority of the games and only leaves out Four Swords and Four Sword Adventures since those could have gone pretty much anywhere after MC. This much was very clear and anyone that argued a different order from this wasn't paying attention to the facts available. There was a famous Miyamoto interview that had an incorrect order, but that was a mistranslation. Even Miyamoto was on board with the split timeline idea. But misinformation gets spread around a lot. Just look at how many people still believe that Nintendo said there would be no towns in BotW and have based theories around that piece of misinformation.

Most of the debate amongst theorists was where the hell ALttP and the games that follow it fit into the timeline, since WW, TP, and ALttP are all supposed to follow OoT directly but there were only 2 timelines. So you got a lot of various theories about which of the two timelines those games were in until 2011 when Nintendo was like "Surprise! There are three timelines!" Which I'm totally fine with. It's the simplest explanation.

But you had a lot of people saying crap like split timeline was a fan theory and that it made no sense and all of the games retold the same story. But the majority of the games have always made it clear that they were sequels/prequels. The split timeline came from OoT itself and Miyamoto and Aonuma first talked about how OoT created a split timeline in a 2002 interview. I don't even know how this ended up being called the "split timeline theory." Miyamoto and Aonuma weren't that vague about it.

So, I mean, we had a clear-cut order of 8 games (SS, MC, OoT, MM, PH, WW, PH, and ST) and we knew clearly how the 5 games in the Fallen Hero timeline fit together, but not how the 8 and 5 fit together.

I think it was definitely debated where MC and OoX were, due to small inconsistencies in the games with their supposed places according to interviews, but yes, the general order for the games have never been much up to debate.

RagnarokX

There's really nothing signaling to us that Link didn't have the Triforce of Courage every single time he was sent back to the past, since as of Ocarina of Time there isn't any indication that the mark is persistent, just that it resonates in certain situations.

And likewise there's nothing (in the games themselves) signaling to us that Ganondorf never entered the Sacred Realm in the past Link was sent back to. Even Twilight Princess is incredibly vague on this point.

People point to Zelda's presence in the castle gardens as some kind of irrefutable evidence that it's a literal repeat of their first meeting, but we don't know what happened or how much time passed between her initial flight from the castle and Ganon's eventual attack after he gained the Triforce of Power. She could have returned if it was believed that Ganondorf had disappeared and possibly been defeated by Link, as was their original plan (when in fact he had made it into the Sacred Realm).

Hell, even if you say that Link having the Triforce of Courage is some kind of signal of what's happening in this past, it could just as well signal to Link (and to Zelda) that Ganondorf has obtained the Triforce of Power and that she needs to be ready for the events of Ocarina of Time which will follow. Her purpose for sending Link back was really just to make up for his lost childhood; he'd already resolved the issue of Ganondorf taking over Hyrule (as an adult).

We needed confirmation from Aonuma to absolutely affirm that there was a timeline split, and that sending Link back to the past was a way to prevent the events of Ocarina of Time from happening. A split timeline was still a very good theory, but it was based on resolving the inconsistencies between The Wind Waker and A Link to the Past, which the actual split timeline failed to do without a post-facto made-up explanation that laid out a third timeline that has nothing to do with the events we see in-game.
Well Link never really time travels in OoT apart from the ending; not in the sense of what Zelda does with the ocarina. When Link puts the Master Sword back in the pedestal all he does is delay the point at which he pulled the sword. Thus he always goes back to before he opened the Sacred Realm and Ganon split the Triforce and after Zelda has fled the castle.

Both the child and adult parts of the game are in the Adult Timeline. The Child Timeline does not get created until the ending. The past Link returns to is the past that becomes the time Link goes to when he pulls the sword. Apart from things like magic beans. Link cannot change the future from the past. Guru Guru is already mad at Link for causing the windmill to spin too fast in the future even though Link hasn't done it in the past, yet.

Zelda creates the Child Timeline when she sends Link back in time at the end of the game. She sends Link back to a time before Ganondorf attacked the castle. Link meets Zelda in the castle garden and he has the Triforce in his hand. We know it's before Ganon attacked the castle because Zelda hasn't fled, and Link can't have the triforce before opening the Sacred Realm by pulling the Master Sword and he did that after Zelda fled, so this is how Nintendo is showing that this is a new timeline. It's not just events repeating themselves. It's showing Link with the ToC before Ganondorf entered the Sacred Realm, which leads to Twilight Princess.

Your proposal that Zelda just came back doesn't work because Link didn't need Zelda to send him back with the Ocarina if that was the case. Link could have just put the Master Sword back in the pedestal and went to talk to Zelda and not done the whole Adult part of the game. But even if your proposal was the case, that's still showing a new timeline being created. A different set of events from those that resulted in the Adult era is the only thing that ending can be showing.

Twilight Princess may have been too vague, but it does make it clear that Ganondorf did not know how he got the Triforce of Power. The sages believe it was a joke of the gods and Ganondorf thinks it was a gift from the gods. Ganondorf didn't enter the sacred realm in that timeline and we know from OoT how he got his piece of the Triforce; he has it because Link has the ToC.

For the split timeline "theory" what I'm talking about is that the fact that there was a split was never really a question. Miyamoto and Aonuma said the split existed in 2002 when Wind Waker was being released. Theories about the split timeline were about how the split worked and which games were in which part of the split, but most of the people that shit on the timeline discussions believed the split itself was made up by fans.

I think it was definitely debated where MC and OoX were, due to small inconsistencies in the games with their supposed places according to interviews, but yes, the general order for the games have never been much up to debate.

I personally did not include MC, FS, or FSA in my timeline discussions back then because I feel like they really don't fit anywhere. They were made by Capcom and don't tie in to any of the lore of the other games. However the official word from Nintendo was always that MC took place before OoT and FS and FSA took place after MC some time. Nintendo pretty much just stuck them wherever in Hyrule Historia.

There was confusion about the OoX and LA games mainly because of a famous interview with Miyamoto that gave an incorrect order of the games that was never published. Miyamoto later corrected himself. OoX ends with Link on the same boat that shipwrecks in LA and LA was an ALttP sequel.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
The game has a bad draw distance, so a lot of the distant areas just look like flat plains of nothingness. For trailers, they want to choose the prettiest shots possible, so they'll often just frame a shot to show the pretty environment, not the chests, enemy encampments, NPC's, etc.

There will be a lot of empty space in the game, but that doesn't mean that the world is empty. You'll just have to walk a bit further then usual to get to the good stuff.

I can't emphasize enough that "empty space" is not a bad thing. Some of the greatest games of all time (Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4) make use of space to create larger environments that take a longer time to traverse. It allows you more to time to appreciate the scenery and absorb the atmosphere as you travel.

On the "it's so empty" criticism: Honestly, emptiness can have utility in games, too.

Those intense horseback battles with Guardians wouldn't be possible without a large, relatively open space. The horse would run into things, or the Guardians would need to be much slower and less menacing to not become totally broken in a small, cramped space.

Likewise, if every area was crammed with puzzles to solve, enemies to fight, and Stuff to Do, we'd be moving through gameplay content without really being given a chance to just take in the world as an organic thing. Empty spaces focused on creating a natural environment help provide that. Sometimes a waterfall can just be a waterfall, or a field can just be a field. It doesn't need to do anything. But sometimes these spaces are large so that, if you're diligent enough to wander toward a remote piece of them, you'll be rewarded with something you didn't expect.

It's the difference between capturing the feeling of going outside and having an adventure, and creating a "game environment" where players solve puzzles.

The question is whether the game will live up to the sense of scale it's offering. I think it will.

Well Link never really time travels in OoT apart from the ending; not in the sense of what Zelda does with the ocarina. When Link puts the Master Sword back in the pedestal all he does is delay the point at which he pulled the sword. Thus he always goes back to before he opened the Sacred Realm and Ganon split the Triforce and after Zelda has fled the castle.

We don't know this. In fact, the moment at which he returns to the past in the ending of Ocarina of Time, we see the same blue light that signified the Master Sword being removed from its pedestal and in all other cases has signified Link moving forward and backward in time throughout the game. There's no real signal that the mechanics of this trip through time are different, other than not directly involving his activity with the Master Sword (presumably? Zelda commanded him to lay the Master Sword to rest as well).

Both the child and adult parts of the game are in the Adult Timeline. The Child Timeline does not get created until the ending. The past Link returns to is the past that becomes the time Link goes to when he pulls the sword. Apart from things like magic beans. Link cannot change the future from the past. Guru Guru is already mad at Link for causing the windmill to spin too fast in the future even though Link hasn't done it in the past, yet.

Zelda creates the Child Timeline when she sends Link back in time at the end of the game. She sends Link back to a time before Ganondorf attacked the castle. Link meets Zelda in the castle garden and he has the Triforce in his hand. We know it's before Ganon attacked the castle because Zelda hasn't fled, and Link can't have the triforce before opening the Sacred Realm by pulling the Master Sword and he did that after Zelda fled, so this is how Nintendo is showing that this is a new timeline. It's not just events repeating themselves. It's showing Link with the ToC before Ganondorf entered the Sacred Realm, which leads to Twilight Princess.

I think you're overreaching here. We actually have no idea what happened in the intervening time between Ganondorf entering the realm and Ganondorf attacking Hyrule with the Triforce of Power. We can't say one way or the other whether Zelda's presence in the castle signifies that history is changing; Link could simply be warning her of the coming danger, in sharp contrast to her expectation that Link was able to defeat Ganondorf, using the Triforce of Courage as his proof, before getting out of the way to avoid their meddling impacting history again.

Of course, this isn't how it turned out, and the story of Twilight Princess makes it pretty clear that their meddling didn't really fix anything.

Your proposal that Zelda just came back doesn't work because Link didn't need Zelda to send him back with the Ocarina if that was the case. Link could have just put the Master Sword back in the pedestal and went to talk to Zelda and not done the whole Adult part of the game. But even if your proposal was the case, that's still showing a new timeline being created. A different set of events from those that resulted in the Adult era is the only thing that ending can be showing.

This is really circular reasoning, with you concluding that the evidence we've shown, which is fairly open to interpretation and the consequences of which were unclear until Twilight Princess was released, could only ever have pointed only to your conclusion and could not have pointed to others.

Twilight Princess may have been too vague, but it does make it clear that Ganondorf did not know how he got the Triforce of Power. The sages believe it was a joke of the gods and Ganondorf thinks it was a gift from the gods. Ganondorf didn't enter the sacred realm in that timeline and we know from OoT how he got his piece of the Triforce; he has it because Link has the ToC.

The sages are clearly reacting to the unfortunate reality that the Triforce of Power brought Ganon back from the brink of death. Likewise, this leads Ganondorf into believing he's a chosen one. They ought to have been able to kill him, but they could not because of the power of the gods (perhaps because it chose to come to him, or perhaps simply because it kicked in to save him), and that definitely is a cruel twist of fate.

You don't need to presume that he got the Triforce of Power through exotic means. That's a condition you're placing on that scene. Even in the split timeline story, you could make the case that Zelda's instruction to close the Door of Time actually resulted in Ganon being trapped inside, which would have allowed him to be subdued and captured more easily.

There's plenty of room for disagreement about how things happen, even with the current information.

For the split timeline "theory" what I'm talking about is that the fact that there was a split was never really a question. Miyamoto and Aonuma said the split existed in 2002 when Wind Waker was being released. Theories about the split timeline were about how the split worked and which games were in which part of the split, but most of the people that shit on the timeline discussions believed the split itself was made up by fans.

You're right, but at the time we didn't know that the child branch would be explored by other games, or anything at all about the changes that had been wrought on the child branch. Any theories to that end were purely speculation.

Replies above.

RagnarokX

We don't know this. In fact, the moment at which he returns to the past in the ending of Ocarina of Time, we see the same blue light that signified the Master Sword being removed from its pedestal and in all other cases has signified Link moving forward and backward in time throughout the game. There's no real signal that the mechanics of this trip through time are different, other than not directly involving his activity with the Master Sword (presumably? Zelda commanded him to lay the Master Sword to rest as well).
Well, even if you interpret it as time travel, Link still can only return to that particular point in time and he is unable to change the future aside from that magic bean thing. All of the major things he has to do in the past are already reflected in the future even before he does them in the past. And, assuming he's traveling to a point in the past after Ganondorf already entered the Sacred Realm, that's not an issue if Link has the Triforce of Courage (which he should) when he time travels because both that past and the future are part of the Adult Timeline. That past leads to the future Link goes to when he pulls the Master Sword. The alternate timeline is not created until Link changes the past by being sent back to before he met Zelda and changing how they delt with him, which creates an alternate future.

I think you're overreaching here. We actually have no idea what happened in the intervening time between Ganondorf entering the realm and Ganondorf attacking Hyrule with the Triforce of Power. We can't say one way or the other whether Zelda's presence in the castle signifies that history is changing; Link could simply be warning her of the coming danger, in sharp contrast to her expectation that Link was able to defeat Ganondorf, using the Triforce of Courage as his proof, before getting out of the way to avoid their meddling impacting history again.

Of course, this isn't how it turned out, and the story of Twilight Princess makes it pretty clear that their meddling didn't really fix anything.
It's the interpretation with the least unnecessary inferences. The ending scene is an exact redo of the scene earlier in the game with Zelda looking through the window, turning around, and reacting in surprise to seeing Link. The simplest answer is that it is what it looks like, with the Triforce of Courage being a hint that what happens after it will be different. The intent behind showing the ToC in that scene was to prevent you from interpreting it as a flashback to the original scene since it'd otherwise be identical.

It doesn't make any sense for Zelda to come back. She went into hiding to protect the Triforce of Wisdom. Trying to explain it that way makes things too complicated. And like you said, we know from hindsight since the other games and Hyrule Historia came out that this isn't the case. If this scene was after Ganon went to the Sacred Realm the flashback with him in TP wouldn't make sense.

This is really circular reasoning, with you concluding that the evidence we've shown, which is fairly open to interpretation and the consequences of which were unclear until Twilight Princess was released, could only ever have pointed only to your conclusion and could not have pointed to others.

I think two discussions are getting mixed here. My main point has nothing to do with fan interpretations but the original intent of Aonuma. Regardless of how it's interpeted, that ending scene is showing a change of events from the past that led to the future Link travelled to based only on info from OoT. Link is meeting Zelda in the past with the Triforce. Material that came out later clarified how the ending was meant to be interpreted further with additional details, but OoT conveys the general idea fine on its own. When that scene was made the intent was to show a new timeline being created. Whether they intended to expand on both timelines at that time is uncertain; they could have just left the Child Timeline as a happy ending. If developing both timelines wasn't their intent at the time, developing Wind Waker made it necessary to develop both branches. However, I think it likely that they set up the split with the intent of using it as a way to free themselves from the corner they were being painted into with the timeline. The split allowed them to do stuff like Wind Waker. Of course, then they made Twilight Princess and the timeline got all fucked up ;P

I think my original interpretation when I first played OoT was that Ganondorf had been sealed in both times. I mean, the point of sending Link back to the past was for him to live out his normal life, but if Zelda just sent him back to the normal past that would be pretty shitty since Ganondorf makes the seven years Link missed miserable anyway.

The sages are clearly reacting to the unfortunate reality that the Triforce of Power brought Ganon back from the brink of death. Likewise, this leads Ganondorf into believing he's a chosen one. They ought to have been able to kill him, but they could not because of the power of the gods (perhaps because it chose to come to him, or perhaps simply because it kicked in to save him), and that definitely is a cruel twist of fate.

You don't need to presume that he got the Triforce of Power through exotic means. That's a condition you're placing on that scene. Even in the split timeline story, you could make the case that Zelda's instruction to close the Door of Time actually resulted in Ganon being trapped inside, which would have allowed him to be subdued and captured more easily.
My point here is that Ganondorf clearly does not know how he got the triforce of power and thinks that the gods just gave it to him, which means he did not enter the Sacred Realm in that timeline. Otherwise he'd know that he got it through his own means. And we know from OoT's ending that the triforce split when Link was sent back in time because Link has his own piece. So logically Ganondorf got his ToP in TP the same way Link and Zelda got their pieces in OoT. It's just like how Link didn't even know he had the ToC until it activated for the final battle in OoT. Ganondorf's in TP activated during his execution. If he had entered the Sacred Realm both he and the sages would have known about it and he would have used the ToP to conquer Hyrule like he did in OoT. Instead he remained just a theif from the desert and the sages set up a trap that Ganondorf could have easily escaped from if he'd known about his powers.

There's plenty of room for disagreement about how things happen, even with the current information.

Sure.

You're right, but at the time we didn't know that the child branch would be explored by other games, or anything at all about the changes that had been wrought on the child branch. Any theories to that end were purely speculation.

I know, but that wasn't my point. We both clearly agree on what my point was and I think two different premises are getting mixed up.

Point 1: OoT's ending was meant to be interpreted as an alternate timeline. Whether or not Nintendo intended at the time to develop both timelines is up for debate, but if they didn't they only had ~3 years between when they finished OoT and when they started Wind Waker and had to commit to the idea.

Point 2: Outcry over "timeline theory" on the basis of thinking that the split timeline itself was nonsense was silly because the split was never theoretical in itself. The concept came straight from Miyamoto and Aonuma themselves. Most of the disagreement on timeline theory prior to Hyrule Historia was on how FS, FSA, ALttP, LA, OoX, Zelda 1, and Zelda 2 fit in with the other games in the clear-cut timeline. The correct order of most of the games was known.

I'm not that versed in Zelda lore, but doesn't the Eye represent the Sheikah and not Hylia? When I think of the Goddess I think of the bird crest on the shield, the Triforce, or even a harp.

Extremely late to the party but my interpretation of the Eye with the tear is of the Sheikh making a great sacrifice to found and protect the Kingdom of Hyrule with the tear ultimately representing their near total destruction. Which is why even as far back as Skyward Sword there is only ever one Sheikah.

Though this begs the question: How has all of their tech existed without being present in past games aside from possibly Skyward's Lanayru ruins? It could be a retconn or perhaps the Sheikah had a resurgence during the back story of BOTW and Calamity Ganon all but wiped them out again by hijacking their tech?

Well, even if you interpret it as time travel, Link still can only return to that particular point in time and he is unable to change the future aside from that magic bean thing. All of the major things he has to do in the past are already reflected in the future even before he does them in the past. And, assuming he's traveling to a point in the past after Ganondorf already entered the Sacred Realm, that's not an issue if Link has the Triforce of Courage (which he should) when he time travels because both that past and the future are part of the Adult Timeline. That past leads to the future Link goes to when he pulls the Master Sword. The alternate timeline is not created until Link changes the past by being sent back to before he met Zelda and changing how they delt with him, which creates an alternate future.

Sure, but you know that they changed how they dealt with him because of posthumous information detailing what they changed.

Based only on Ocarina of Time, someone might have concluded that the time travel in the ending wouldn't have allowed Link to change the past just like the time travel throughout the rest of the game didn't, and that he's just going to warn Zelda of what's coming.

It's the interpretation with the least unnecessary inferences. The ending scene is an exact redo of the scene earlier in the game with Zelda looking through the window, turning around, and reacting in surprise to seeing Link. The simplest answer is that it is what it looks like, with the Triforce of Courage being a hint that what happens after it will be different. The intent behind showing the ToC in that scene was to prevent you from interpreting it as a flashback to the original scene since it'd otherwise be identical.

You've made at least two unnecessary inferences:

- That time travel works differently in the ending (allows you to change history)
- That the mirroring of that original meeting scene means it's an alternate version of that meeting playing out in a different timeline

This is exactly the same number of inferences as the other theory:

- That time travel works the same in the ending (your actions through time travel are already accounted for in the future)
- That Zelda returned to the castle before Castle Town was invaded

It doesn't make any sense for Zelda to come back. She went into hiding to protect the Triforce of Wisdom. Trying to explain it that way makes things too complicated. And like you said, we know from hindsight since the other games and Hyrule Historia came out that this isn't the case. If this scene was after Ganon went to the Sacred Realm the flashback with him in TP wouldn't make sense.

When did she go into hiding to protect the Triforce of Wisdom? Before or after Ganondorf invaded with the Triforce of Power? You don't know because the game never told us.

When she fled the castle as a child, it was to protect the Ocarina of Time, which she passed to Link with instructions to defeat Ganondorf. She had no reason to assume her plan would fail until Ganondorf invaded:

As long as you had the Ocarina
in your possession, I thought
Ganondorf could never enter the
Sacred Realm, but...
something I could never expect
happened...

Regardless of how it's interpeted, that ending scene is showing a change of events from the past that led to the future Link travelled to based only on info from OoT. Link is meeting Zelda in the past with the Triforce.

I just laid out a way to interpret that scene that doesn't involve this.

There is no info in OoT that tells us that their meeting in the past led to a different outcome. That was, when the game first came out, another interpretation of that scene.

Material that came out later clarified how the ending was meant to be interpreted further with additional details, but OoT conveys the general idea fine on its own. When that scene was made the intent was to show a new timeline being created.

It does convey that idea fine on its own. It's even likely that it was meant to be interpreted that way. I don't disagree that that's the meaning for that ending that shaped future games in the series.

But it's not impossible to interpret OoT in a way that doesn't reach that conclusion, even after The Wind Waker came out.

My point here is that Ganondorf clearly does not know how he got the triforce of power and thinks that the gods just gave it to him, which means he did not enter the Sacred Realm in that timeline. Otherwise he'd know that he got it through his own means.

I'll say it again.

We actually don't know by which means Ganondorf "got the Triforce of Power."

We only know that it was considered an unfortunate twist of fate ("divine prank") by the sages that he was "blessed with the chosen power of the gods."

You could take this literally, as in they thought it was weird that he had the Triforce of Power. Or you could take it figuratively, as in they thought it was weird that the power of the gods saved him from death.

In either case, we don't know how he got the Triforce of Power - only that the sages thought it was awful that he did.

Certainly nothing from Ganondorf's speech tells us what happened

Your people had some skill, to be
sure...but they lacked true power.
The kind of absolute power that
those chosen by the gods wield.

just that he believes himself to be chosen (which would be true even if that's just because he thinks the Triforce saving him means he's chosen).

I think it's worth noting that he emulates the (JP version) speech A Link to the Past says the Triforce made to him before he touched it when offering power to Zant, which for me strongly suggests that he did encounter it in the same way he did in ALttP/OoT.

LttP: "If thou hast a desire, then I shall desire it as well."

TP: If there is anything you desire,
then I shall desire it, too.

And we know from OoT's ending that the triforce split when Link was sent back in time because Link has his own piece. So logically Ganondorf got his ToP in TP the same way Link and Zelda got their pieces in OoT. It's just like how Link didn't even know he had the ToC until it activated for the final battle in OoT. Ganondorf's in TP activated during his execution. If he had entered the Sacred Realm both he and the sages would have known about it and he would have used the ToP to conquer Hyrule like he did in OoT. Instead he remained just a theif from the desert and the sages set up a trap that Ganondorf could have easily escaped from if he'd known about his powers.

1) We know Link has the Triforce of Courage in the ending of Ocarina of Time. We don't know why he has it. (Did Ganondorf still touch the Triforce? Did him being sent in time cause some disturbance?)

2) Surely you can't be looking at the fact that the Triforce of Power activated in Ganondorf's execution as proof he didn't know he had it?

3) Surely Link sealing the gateway to the Sacred Realm upon returning to the past (remember Zelda's words to lay the Master Sword to rest and close the Door of Time?) could have prevented Ganondorf from conquering Hyrule like he did in Ocarina of Time? (pre-HH, obviously)

4) Surely you aren't looking at Ganondorf being called a thief as proof of what happened?

I know, but that wasn't my point. We both clearly agree on what my point was and I think two different premises are getting mixed up.

Point 1: OoT's ending was meant to be interpreted as an alternate timeline. Whether or not Nintendo intended at the time to develop both timelines is up for debate, but if they didn't they only had ~3 years between when they finished OoT and when they started Wind Waker and had to commit to the idea.

Point 2: Outcry over "timeline theory" on the basis of thinking that the split timeline itself was nonsense was silly because the split was never theoretical in itself. The concept came straight from Miyamoto and Aonuma themselves. Most of the disagreement on timeline theory prior to Hyrule Historia was on how FS, FSA, ALttP, LA, OoX, Zelda 1, and Zelda 2 fit in with the other games in the clear-cut timeline. The correct order of most of the games was known.

My response to Point 1: Fans could interpret Ocarina of Time however they wanted until Nintendo made known what their intent was for the ending. There wasn't only one possible or valid interpretation.

My response to Point 2: I don't think Hyrule Historia answers all the ambiguities in the story, just ambiguities in the order of the games. As a result, there's still plenty of room for interpretation about things like what happened between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess to grant Ganondorf the Triforce of Power, or whether Skyward Sword creates another split timeline.

Sometimes they'll come out and clarify things that were only speculated before, like they did with the split timeline and with A Link to the Past's separation from the other timelines. Sometimes they won't, and people can disagree about them.

As much as people use Hyrule Historia as an infallible guide to the timeline, it also kicked off its timeline section with a disclaimer that the "history" changes with the teller, and is continually rewritten with new legends. I hope that's a spirit they take to heart in Breath of the Wild, and that they don't take the timeline too seriously.

Canyarion

Neo Member
I spent the last 3 weeks analyzing the trailer and the gameplay. For the story trailer, I picked up everything that GameXplain and Zeltik left for me.
For the gameplay, nobody had done an in-depth analysis, so I just analyzed everything for that. :) Turned it into 2 videos.

Part 1 (trailer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcRflbXIQCU
Part 2 (inventory): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLhcFUsPdU
Part 3 (gameplay): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEGgjPWX6k

Some snippets of things I discuss:
  • the exact same Master Sword scabbard as in Skyward Sword
  • the paraglider symbol on the platform where Link meets the birdman
  • Link's standard horse, but this time without a saddle, supporting the idea we can make any horse our own
  • TWW mentions that Ganondorf came in a 'red wrath'
  • Stamina is 40% increased
  • Elemental crafting suggested (make your own ice/fire/electric arrows and rods)
  • New food buffs (heat resistance, electric resistance?)
  • An upgrade to the bomb, reducing cooldown time
  • Three different Lizalfos types spotted

So I thought I'd share!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I spent the last 3 weeks analyzing the trailer and the gameplay. For the story trailer, I picked up everything that GameXplain and Zeltik left for me.
For the gameplay, nobody had done an in-depth analysis, so I just analyzed everything for that. :) Turned it into 2 videos.

• Link's standard horse, but this time without a saddle, supporting the idea we can make any horse our own
  • Elemental crafting suggested (make your own ice/fire/electric arrows and rods)

So I thought I'd share!
Jaysus, ill be sure to check it out when I get off work

So I thought I'd share!

Great videos! I love the inventory analysis, for some reason that makes the game feel a lot more real than simply looking at gameplay footage.

TheMoon

So I thought I'd share!

That was good stuff. watched vid 2+3. the Lizalfos changing color to match Link bit seems far fetched but the other stuff appears solid! Really excited by the prospect of Darknuts :)

Heretic

So I thought I'd share!

Thanks! Will check later.

So I thought I'd share!

Link being in his blue outfit but with some extra gear and the master sword definitely makes me think its a flashback. Does the old man give you that blue outfit in the E3 demo? I wonder why hes not in the classic green tunic in the flashbacks despite having the master sword.

TheMoon

Does the old man give you that blue outfit in the E3 demo? I wonder why hes not in the classic green tunic in the flashbacks despite having the master sword.

You don't have the blue outfit in the demo. You have a bunch of rags that were in the cave with you.

edit: plus the winter gear that you find somewhere.

ReyVGM

So I thought I'd share!

I posted the first one back when you made it. Good catch on that paraglider symbol.

TheMoon

Is this the winter gear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiEYTN-nDso

Or are these blue clothes a different set of blue clothes?

It's the blue tunic. That seems to be the default gear in the "not time limited" demo. We never see Link acquire it.

edit: you see them switch to a different save state from demoing the beginning story demo (naked+rags) and the free exploration demo (blue tunic)

edit2: coincidentally, NOA just put concept art of the cold weather tunic onto their fb page https://www.facebook.com/LegendofZelda/posts/1264429806951480:0

DesertFox

You guys blow my mind with all the analysis in this thread. I had no idea that the story went so deep between the games.

After an on-and-off hiatus from Zelda games (I was obsessed with Ocarina of Time as a kid, and recently played Twilight Princess) I am excited once again for a Zelda release. It's exciting being hyped for a Zelda game again - it brings me back to my childhood!

Can't wait for the game, and loving the analysis in this thread. It's given me an opportunity to catch up on what I've missed.

Am I the only one who easily hears the Hyrule Field/Overworld theme in the trailer? It was super obvious even when I watched it live but I haven't really seen anybody else mention it.

stoff

So I thought I'd share!

I stumbled over your videos a few days ago. I really like your calm style! Got me subscribed. :)

TheMoon

The first three quarter notes get repeated throughout most of the trailer, until the very end when the horns finish out the rest of the first measure, then abruptly cuts to logo. The repetition is also reminiscent of the buildup to the introduction to the classic theme
jtQVBCC.jpg

Just to make sure, you mean the Game Awards trailer, right?

You seem to be much more versed in music theory than the average joe which might lead you to recognize this far easier than most.

Just to make sure, you mean the Game Awards trailer, right?

You seem to be much more versed in music theory than the average joe which might lead you to recognize this far easier than most.

Yes that trailer; I got super blueballed when they didn't continue with the rest of the theme lol

But I've been known to hear things in songs that nobody else does, so maybe it's just me

ReyVGM

Canyarion/ZeldaPodSmashers you are insane. No one else ever noticed Link is wearing ice climbing boots, ever since the E3 trailer!!

Check out his new analysis video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769hllBQTlk

Maybe the it's not an ice climbing boot, but something you can attach to any boot?

Top Bottom