• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

Spman2099

Wait... are people seriously arguing AGAINST the inclusion of a simple voice and text option?

I mean - the language files are all on the cart... Would you please present a remotely compelling reason why this is a bad thing and why we shouldn't desire it?

It is a combination of people defending Nintendo at any cost and Springfoot having his head up his own ass. Generally, I think most people would agree that it is ridiculous that they aren't giving the option, given how easy it would be implement.

Wait, I think I hear Springfoot coming... I am sure one of us will be confronted by the startling realities of people not playing the Witcher in Polish soon.

I don't understand Japanese so can't comment on how original it is, but the fanslation is 10 times better than official localization.

And are you saying NoA added their own stuff to spice things up instead of sticking to original script? If so, lol so much for being "authentic"

adding their own spice is still within the scope of localization method. granted that some people might feel their works are way too liberal or a bit out of control in some parts and usually prefer more literal ones, but saying it got "butchered" makes it obvious that they cannot process enough to accept that there are different ways of doing it.
I can't really comment on the fanslation since I rather not touching anything related to fates story anymore, but i'm sure it's more on literal side of translation, which makes me want to avoid it since the original Japanese is a bit bland for me. at least NoA localization makes it a bit more bearable to go through
anyway, this is a bit off topic...

back to this, I do hope Nintendo will patch for the language options one day, so that some people will be happy (and I do think that it's a bit stupid to have all language on cart but no easy option to change it w/o resorting to changing the system language)

You're right all eng dub is perfect ffx was great especially that laughing scene to want anything else is un American.

If it's already on the disc why not let people choose? Has there ever been a time people have complained for too many language options? Will anyone ever be mad at that?

Didn't think so

Just wanted to stop by and say that the FFX scene is the exact same level of fucking awkward in Japanese. It's intentionally supposed to be that way, and I didn't know there was a soul alive who wasn't aware of that by now.

Hi guys

So IGN Portugal seems to have a interview with

Eiji Aonuma where he says:

“In the case of the Nintendo Switch, if you change the language of the system, you can change the game to Japanese, but this is going to change everything to Japanese. Unfortunately, it is not possible to play with English text, for example, and Japanese voices"

http://pt.ign.com/m/the-legend-of-z...-nao-vamos-poder-jogar-com-as-vozes-originais

This is really, really f upp. At least in my point of view (living In sweden)

First thread, be nice (couldn't find a thread about it)

Edit: perhaps this is a more important issue to us living in European countries? Im actually really upset about this monstrosity display of ignorance from Nintendo. I must be really, really easy to include language options? It's already there! They just don't give us access to it.

What do you think about this and is there a chance that Nintendo will patch this?

Edit 2 : will probably never make a thread again :/ seriously, I just its sad that I can't choose when there's no technical or other reason not to do so. Some people seem to think otherwise but I dont think I'm a minority and even if so, the effort to include that option would be minimal.
This is Nintendo. For every late but good decision they make there's always one or two bad ones that fuck it all up.

Of course Nintendo would not let us mix and match audio and text languages. That would've make too much sense! It's not like Uncharted 1 on PS3 in 2007 let you do it! Nintendo has only had two new consoles since then, clearly it's not enough time to learn how to do this properly.

At least Zelda finally's going to have voice acting. So, baby steps.

As much as I agree with the idea that people should have the choice to mix and match dubs and subs to their liking, I can't help but laugh at people saying the Japanese version is objectively better. Liking what you like is all subjective of course, and I'm not saying the English dub is Oscar worthy (my favorite is the Latin Spanish one which still didn't sound all that great with certain dialogue changes), but if you really think Zelda's 8 year old sounding voice with her outlandish wailing in the Japanese version is the natural fit for her character and claim that it's objectively better acting than the other dubs... Wow lol.

For me, it's that I don't understand japanese and because of that the native language just becomes a part of it. I don't understand the tonal volocity or if the performance is forced or faked. I just accept it and it helps me be immersed.
But when I watch cartoons with english voice overs I understand it, and it constantly throws me off.
The only exception to this I have ever seen is Cowboy Bebop. But every other anime dub I have seen, literally ruined it for me.

You need to understand that it is not about the authenticity but more of a "it detracts from the experience once you know how the sausage is made". It doesn't have to sound realistic because animation is not about realism. We buy into high pitched japanese voice overs because it becomes its own fantasy language. I don't listen to japanese games/anime and think "its japanese". I could truly give a shit. I listen to it because it helps me suspend my disbelief and it becomes gibberish. I hear the voice overs making sounds that feels like they fit to the subtitles which like a good book is how I rationalize internally how it should sound, and the tonal frequency, accent and voie delivery all affects my abilty to do that.
When I listen to a english voice overs I cannot focus on the story. I cannot stop being distracted from what the accent is, or what type of person is behind. I find it super distracting.

As a result, it's a terrible shame when this game has landed an anime aesthetic similar to Ghibli that a lot of fans have been looking forward to for many years. This is a major disappointment to me. It doesn't mean I won't play it, but man.. It bums me out.

En-ou

Wow, this thread has shown the true colours of many of you - you are idiots.

Can't tell if voice acting is good because it's a language you can't comprehend... LOL
You know, there is something called emotion that you can detect which is the main factor.

Complaining about the excessive or overdone crying by the Japanese actress....LOL so you are saying someone who has lost all hope and filled with grief needs to cry in a certain manner that isn't too excessive? I want to see one of you dimwits tell someone at a funeral they are crying too hysterically and should tone it down LAWL

Ratrat

Some weird people in this thread. Preferring original audio doesn't make you a weab. I don't watch French or Korean films with English dubs. It is factually closer to the creators intention as they would usually be there with actors in the recording studio. Everything else is an interpretation. Its fine if people like dubs if it hes them concentrate, just dont act superior for it.

Dr. Lame

Neo Member
While I do wish there was an option to select separate voice and subtitle languages from within the game, I'm super excited to hear that both language versions will be on the disk. My wife is from Japan, but she's not a gamer. Maybe Japanese-language Breath of the Wild can work as her gateway drug...

Wow, this thread has shown the true colours of many of you - you are idiots.

Can't tell if voice acting is good because it's a language you can't comprehend... LOL
You know, there is something called emotion that you can detect which is the main factor.

Complaining about the excessive or overdone crying by the Japanese actress....LOL so you are saying someone who has lost all hope and filled with grief needs to cry in a certain manner that isn't too excessive? I want to see one of you dimwits tell someone at a funeral they are crying too hysterically and should tone it down LAWL

Interesting approach to start this post by calling people who like to be able to understand what is being said "idiots". Only then to go on a silly rant where you have apparently not been able to notice how people typically react differently in English media to Japanese media. Yes, crying out like Zelda did in the JP version would be exceedingly weird in English media. I'm not sure how you don't understand that.

Right, but if say the actor has a clear cagny accent I'd think of a white british posh lady talking over a japanese styalized character. Emotion is not a catch-all in terms of determining what feels right.
It's about making a performance beliveable, and one of the ways of doing that, particularly for casting directors is to find the right person for the role- not just someone who can show "emotion".

You have to remember that our visual sense is our most used one, and its the one we rely on the most to have our other senses follow up. So if you look at this character:

legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.jpg

Having a voice actor with a upstate boston accent could seem out of place even if the voice actor did their best to evoke emotion. when we hear a voice we have a image in our head of how that person saying it looks like. Based on past experiences with people, we try to predict instinctively what the person looks like. Given that this game is heavy heavily japanese in classic aesthetics department; petruded enlarged eyes and eyebrows making the character look deformed, it is clear that for anyone whose association with this style is going to be japanese.

daxgame

As much as I agree with the idea that people should have the choice to mix and match dubs and subs to their liking, I can't help but laugh at people saying the Japanese version is objectively better. Liking what you like is all subjective of course, and I'm not saying the English dub is Oscar worthy (my favorite is the Latin Spanish one which still didn't sound all that great with certain dialogue changes), but if you really think Zelda's 8 year old sounding voice with her outlandish wailing in the Japanese version is the natural fit for her character and claim that it's objectively better acting than the other dubs... Wow lol.

Do you even see the contradiction in it?
Liking what you like is subjective - thanks, I think everyone agrees with that. This is not a matter of personal taste infact.
Then you proceed to say that the japanese voice is "an 8 year sounding voice with her outlandish wailing" suggesting that it's not the "natural fit of the character" as if it was anywhere remotely an objective statement.
Oh sure, doesn't matter if it's exactly the one Aonuma and Nintendo picked for her, right?. I'm sure xochipiltontli knows how Zelda sounds better than them! ;)
Seriously?
Disclaimer: and for the record, I personally never commented on the japanese version "acting better\having the best actors\sounding more credible" or stuff like that, since I'm not interested in that kind of 100% subjective evaluation at all. So I don't agree with many posts who use that as reasoning for the subs either. Still got thrown in the weaboo'd mix lol. I just respect whatever the developer chose.

Some weird people in this thread. Preferring original audio doesn't make you a weab.
Apparently, it's the only way some people have to take part in the discussion, by showing their insecurities. Not a coincidence those are also the less well-argumented opinions :/.

Spman2099

I'm not really sure how you want someone to respond to a blatant shitpost? My own snarky shitpost on the first page was immediately responded to by anime fans talking about subtleties and quality of vocal performance that fail to survive translation in selectively-applied absolutist terms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This must sum up how most people feel about all your posts in this thread...

Not to mention you never really seemed to grasp the behavior I was mocking, or even what I actually said, given your earlier post showed you were under the misunderstanding that I ever claimed choice or preference were bad. The content of my posts seems to have flown over your head if that was your takeaway, since I never said anything of the sort. But keep shining bright, you special gem :)

Yeah, I see it now, your next level comedic satire was just brilliant. It certainly wasn't you just agitating people with fallacious arguments. No, that's not it at all... this is your performance art! /s

You just keep dancing on that imaginary highroad of yours; I will have to content myself with calling you out for what you are actually doing.

By the way, I am genuinely impressed that you managed to get your shoulders up in there as well.

moolamb

Okay I get the gist of the argument in this thread.

If you are trying to argue objective superiority for a specific language of voice acting, even if it's the original scripted language, you are wrong. Because clearly opinions are divided and it is a subjective issue.

If you call people who prefer original languages a weaboo or whatever the fuck that word is you are also wrong. Because it's subjectively what people like.

Moving on now.

I'm interested if it is a contractual or licensing issue. That would make the omission of language options slightly less stupid.

Hypron

To be honest if you go to French forums (or probably any other language), you'll find tons of people making the same arguments that are made in this thread, except that they'd tell you they prefer to play their Uncharted or whatever in French, and that people that listen to the original English version are just elitists and that voice acting isn't even better - it's just because you can't understand it that it sounds cool.

Which I found to be completely wrong; if anything learning English gave me a better appreciation for English voice acting in video games.

I just started learning Japanese 6 months ago so I'm not at the level where I can understand videogames yet, but I'm expecting the same thing to happen.

Spman2099

I mean, since this thread has upset you enough to turn into a personal vendetta against me...

Wait, do you think you are a victim now? LOL!

I'd love to see some quotes where I claimed choice was bad as you fallaciously claimed I did. How about where I say that people shouldn't have their own taste?

You may not have specifically made those claims, but the rabid abandon in which you attack every other person that wants to be able to choose Japanese voices speaks for itself. However, I am sure your crusade against those people has nothing to do with their choice...

But I guess strawmen are easier to dance around, no? It's always annoying when someone just didn't actually say the words you're trying to put in their mouth. Bummer.

You should know a thing or two about strawmen, you employ an army of them. Now why don't you tell us about the Polish in the Witcher games again? We are all dying to hear you talk about this smoking gun.

Jesus did you just fit your abdomen in as well. You are truly amazing!

P.S. Spending all your time doing your best to annoy others is a pretty petty pursuit. But common decency be damned, I am happy to engage in your shitty game if you are. Maybe I am a bad person too.

PtM

Banned
God damn it, Springfoot, take your hateful shit to 4chan. This thread didn't just "mutate", you used it from the start to mock japanophiles. I'm sick of you.

Top Bottom