• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

I found a video that compares the English to the Japanese voice acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_3WHxwFNs
Thankfully the English voice acting doesn't seem too bad at all - but given the choice I think I would play in Japanese with English subtitles.
I think the main argument with the Zeldas is that the American one has a deeper voice and is more subdued in her acting, the Japanese one is doing what likely translates to VA work she may have previously done in Anime alongside a bit of more emotive acting.

Until we see more of the voice acting I can't make a claim one is superior to the other, but as of right now it's just a matter of preference

I found a video that compares the English to the Japanese voice acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz_3WHxwFNs
Thankfully the English voice acting doesn't seem too bad at all - but given the choice I think I would play in Japanese with English subtitles.

It's quite interesting. I mean, Japanese acting is different to American acting full stop, especially when it's non-naturalistic stuff like this (especially noticeable in theatre actually- I saw a Japanese theatre company at the Barbican a couple of years ago and it was fascinating to see how different the disciplines were). It'll be good to hear larger comparisons when the game is released.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Was watching the trailer again today, but selected the English version without knowing it. When it arrived at the calamity Ganon part it felt really weird since the Japanese voices have already grown on me. Hope they sort this out in a patch or something.

For me it's not about the words themselves and understanding them, it's about the emotion they carry in the way they are delivered. The english dub just didn't feel right.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well it is a Swedish developed game so I assumed that was what you were after. As for the other games you list, never played them.

Honestly, I just tend to play with the default options, only making sure the subtitles are on. So, if that just so happens to be the English dub in a Japanese game, that's what I roll with.

I just think options for those who want to listen to a game with another dub while still being able to understand what's going on via subs shouldn't be berated for it.

Heck, listening to the different trailers, I thought the Latin Spanish dub was the best sounding.

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Better get started on those online petitions and Twiitter hashtags!
lPhnTSP.jpg

Latin Spanish dub actually is the closest to how I imagine Hylian language would sound like for some reasons. Would play with the dub if it was a choice, maybe it's time to relearn Spanish.

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Or maybe just have the language select for audio and subtitles in the game's options/settings menu like so many others do?

So they have both sets of voices on the same card, but you can't access them with the appropriate subtitles. What an incredibly stupid company...

Pretty much. They went through all the trouble of hiring competent voice actors, arranging for studio time to record the various scenes, and editing and mixing everything in the post-process phase. On top of that, they had to prepare proper translations for every recorded language - a very time consuming process - and in the end never bother to offer players the choice of mixing and matching dubs and subs at their leisure. This makes no sense whatsoever.

The irony of this all is of course the Switch reveal trailer did just that. Played the dub in Japanese and the sub in English.

.Anema

Why would anyone want to play with japanese dub? It's horrible lol (Zelda crying made me laugh so hard hahaha)
I will play with latin spanish dub, it's the best.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

If the voices are already in the damn game I just don't see why it should be a system level option instead of just having text/voice settings within the game itself.
It's Nintendo trying to keep things "simple" I suppose, but it doesn't help anyone and it just annoys people who would wanna check out the Japanese voices for whichever reason

Izuna

Banned
If the voices are already in the damn game I just don't see why it should be a system level option instead of just having text/voice settings within the game itself.
It's Nintendo trying to keep things "simple" I suppose, but it doesn't help anyone and it just annoys people who would wanna check out the Japanese voices for whichever reason

It's been mentioned in this thread over and over but this is the case for the vast majority of Xbox One/PS4 games. Even dating back to the 360 in some cases.

It's weird that there's outrage for this all of a sudden for "Zelda".

Currently replaying through the fan-translated version of FE Fates and I can't believe the amount of shit NoA changed in the localization, its fucking infuriating. I'm actually enjoying the story this time thanks to the witty dialog and give-and-take between characters. Yeah options are nice and all, but I wouldn't trust NoA one bit for their text localisation.

Timeaisis

Hahaha

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's been mentioned in this thread over and over but this is the case for the vast majority of Xbox One/PS4 games. Even dating back to the 360 in some cases.

Pretty sure this is a common complaint that's been going on for years. Aren't Atlus given a lot of flak for not offering duel audio?

It's still very rare for games to have ways to get to other region's text options, so I'm happy about that. FFXV is the only other game this generation that I can think of (on consoles, anyway), and that was handled a little better by having language settings in the options menu. Hopefully this becomes more common.

Probably people don't know/play those games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

It's silly then and it's silly now. If the languages are already on the cart, there's no reason to not let people use it :p. I have no issue with it myself but I can see how it's annoying to some and I can't think of a single argument for why it should be the way it is.

"It's always been this way" is not a valid argument either.

Hypron

Neat? Did you ignore or not play those other titles in their original Swedish to closely match the developers' untranslated original intent? DICE games like Battlefield or Mirrors Edge or Machine Games' Wolfenstein titles? Stick to playing any Crytek games in German and Ubisoft games in French? How about Dying Light or the Witcher titles that were developed by Polish devs? Play them in Polish to stick with original intent?

Or is it just a bunch of weebs complaining about Japanese alone?

Japan is like the only country that still reliably makes games in their own language first. Most of the companies you listed make games in English which are later translated.

The Witcher 1 was an exception and was made in Polish first. Things become fuzzier after the second game; for example I remember reading that while the script of TW3 was written in Polish, English was still the language that was implemented first.

But yeah, I did play TW1 & 2 in Polish, and Metro 2033 in Russian. Am I an eastern Europe-weeb too?

The God of War series uses Option B. I'm 95% sure that I had to set my PS2/PS3/PS4 to English to have the English VA, at the cost of having English subtitles/in-game text as well.
Pretty sure this isn't the case for the first release of the mainline games. We had separate options for both spoken and subtitles, specifically so you could mix and match. We did initialize both from the system setting, if you didn't have a prefs file saved. Apologies if I'm recalling this incorrectly. Certainly it was our intent to do the right thing then, and going forwards.

The irony of this all is of course the Switch reveal trailer did just that. Played the dub in Japanese and the sub in English.

Lol!

That's true! It's all the more reason to give us dual audio from the start of the game as an option, because that's how they originally debuted the trailer. It seems stupid not to have it as an option - especially if it's on the cartridge!!

One major possibility is the English translations for certain Japanese lines are quite different? Regardless I would have liked having the option to play however I want.... Japanese subtitles with English voices

PSqueak

Banned
Language options are hard.

Yeah, in hindsight, i don't get why nintendo is getting flak for this specifically, this has been a problem with MS and Sony platforms too.

Most recently i had this problem with Battleborn (please refrain from jokes) because it forces me to listen to this craptastic Spaniard dub with no option to change neither text nor voice languages without having to change my entire PS4 settings, which i don't want to anyways because games like Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and Injustice have fantastic dubs.

Hell, my problem with battleborn is not even that the dub is spaniard, Borderlands and Left 4 Dead have amazing spaniard dubs, Battleborn's is just crappy and im stuck with it.

Just like americans will be stuck with a crappy Zelda dub.

BRING BACK THE IN GAME LANGUAGE SELECTION, DEVS EVERYWHERE!

Yeah, in hindsight, i don't get why nintendo is getting flak for this specifically, this has been a problem with MS and Sony platforms too.

Most recently i had this problem with Battleborn (please refrain from jokes) because it forces me to listen to this craptastic Spaniard dub with no option to change neither text nor voice languages without having to change my entire PS4 settings, which i don't want to anyways because games like Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and Injustice have fantastic dubs.

Hell, my problem with battleborn is not even that the dub is spaniard, Borderlands and Left 4 Dead have amazing spaniard dubs, Battleborn's is just crappy and im stuck with it.

Because the Japanese trailer had English subs. Played the fuck out of my emotions.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

I repeat, i pity y'all poor americans and the abysmal dub you are getting.

I think we will be ok.

LiK

Well, buy two Switches and just play one in English and the other in JPN side by side. there you go.

EvB

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience!

Maybe if enough fanboys complain they will let use listen to Japanese audio through and app on our smartphone

You know what's great about dual audio.

If it doesn't interest you, you haven't actually lost anything by it being there.

I wanted to quote this post for being rational.

I remember when Xseed localised akiba strip with japanese and english dub + japanese and english text

I'm sure that option wasn't the most popular , but damn if it didn't felt at the time that they were taking this stuff seriously.

Options are good . IN 2017, this stuff should be an option in the game menu like in ... so many games of all types. I mean plenty of games choose a language from my console setting but i can still change in the options. If it doesn't change things for this game , maybe the next one they'll know that there is a demand for it ?

Nuu

Banned
The anti-weaboos bastion have literally become self-parody at this point. They've become everything they've hated. People are pissed not because they want the "authentic experience", which that in itself isn't automatically a bad thing, they are pissed because the Japanese voice acting is significantly superior from what we've seen in the trailer. Both casting, delivery, and acting wise.

they are pissed because the Japanese voice acting is significantly superior from what we've seen in the trailer. Both casting, delivery, and acting wise.

im not saying more options is bad, its not and people that want English text with Japanese voice acting should be able to do so, but the quoted part is the very mindset your post was originally against, and entirely subjective. I actually think the Japanese voice over is horribly over dramatic and corny, but i feel this way about Japanese voice acting in general and why in the off chance i do watch an anime i watch with dubbed English if possible

The anti-weaboos bastion have literally become self-parody at this point. They've become everything they've hated. People are pissed not because they want the "authentic experience", which that in itself isn't automatically a bad thing, they are pissed because the Japanese voice acting is significantly superior from what we've seen in the trailer. Both casting, delivery, and acting wise.
And people are getting irritated that folks keep pretending that the Japanese dub is objectively superior, when it isn't we've seen time and time again that it's entirely subjective when folks are saying they find the Japanese dub overacted.

Yall talking about self parody but "the Japanese dub is superior, period" isn't exactly a quality you don't see in this group.

You can say you like one voice over more than the other, but it's hard to take opinions seriously when you can't say you want the other without shitting on the other option.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
And people are getting irritated that folks keep pretending that the Japanese dub is objectively superior, when it isn't we've seen time and time again that it's entirely subjective when folks are saying they find the Japanese dub overacted.

Yall talking about self parody but "the Japanese dub is superior, period" isn't exactly a quality you don't see in this group.

You can say you like one voice over more than the other, but it's hard to take opinions seriously when you can't say you want the other without shitting on the other option.

It's funny to me they think that screech crying is superior haha.

Vinnk

Don't know why so many people in this thread are having a negative reaction to options. All this stuff is already in the game. No obvious added cost. Seems wasteful to not give that option.

Me? I'll play through it in English. And if I feel ambitions, later I'll go through again in Japanese.

But no need to put down people who prefer subs. I don't speak French but I would hate to have to watch Jean-Pierre Jeunet films dubbed into English. Nor would I hope there was a DVD that wouldn't let people choose the dub. Options are great. We have the technology.

PtM

Banned
Yall need to stop quoting something made pages ago and not read the rest of the thread where he says he was just having fun.
It wasn't a serious shitpost? Gosh!

Nintendo themselves at latest with the Wii (and TP GCN) had started to set text language by system settings.

Top Bottom