• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

Charamiwa

Banned
I'm with you 100%, but let's not forget that even if games give you the choice of different voice and text options, you usually get "dubtitles", which are a far cry from conveying the meaning without alterations.

Yeah I hate that. But if dubtitles gives me the same meaning as dub, at least I still have the original voices. But I agree it's awful, especially if it's too different.

Khrno

Playing a game with added subtitles and a voice track you can't understand is further from the intent of how the game was created than playing it fully localized is, though.

Bad voice acting is worst than havinf to read subtitles, and also most games didn't have voice acting prior to what, 15 - 18 year ago?

So based on your point a Hollywood, Bollywood, Mexico, France, Japan, w/e their country of origin is, was meant to be made by the director and original actors so people would still have the same experienced when shitted all over by localization/dubing?

Not, that's not the intent of how a game or movie was created.

daxgame

Because you're pretending that there's some meaning and understanding you're gleaning from voices spoken in another language when there isn't.
That's because you are assuming that people don't learn, which is straight-out hilarious.
Even if you won't master japanese\english\whatever from listening to a videogame, you will learn certain words (the first time, by reading the subtitles + hearding the tone) which later will allow you to not even look at the subtitles when they reappear. And the more you are willing to do this exercise the better you become

I first learned english through videogames when I was 8-9yr old and nothing was translated. At 14yr my english was far better than my classmates and I wasn't exactly someone who studied hard.

You're ignoring the second part of my reasoning and I don't think that's fair or constructive. I specifically said I can't consume the original creation, but I want to get as close as possible without altering the content.

Right, but what's your purpose here? I mean, people like what they like, but this doesn't accomplish anything from a content or cultural perspective. Is it just for ambiance?

Are you saying that when you're forced to watch something with subtitles you may as well put it on mute because there's nothing to gain from hearing it?

There's benefit compared to silence but not compared to actually understanding the spoken words. Watching films with subtitles is a compromise: it's distracting from the film's visual element to have to look at text, and it's cognitively draining to take text you understand and try to map it to tone of voice in a language you don't. People can do it, sure, but all that gets you to is working harder to understand the same content. There's no magical "extra" element you get from doing this that you can't get from translating the voices.

That's because you are assuming that people don't learn, which is straight-out hilarious.

There is not a single person on Earth who has ever learned a language by hearing it spoken while subtitles in their own language are presented. If someone wants to use this game as a springboard to learn Japanese -- which I'm all for! -- the ability to play it with both voice and text in Japanese is a big boon for that.

I'm confident you can in fact understand what's happening with one language being spoken and another written out. I can, most people can (though there's plenty of learning or linguistic disabilities that make this hard for people, so making rude cracks about people "lacking in mental faculties" is not great here.) That wasn't what I was talking about at all, though. The idea that the understanding someone can get this way is somehow better, that it's more true to the "original" work, is ludicrous. If the goal is to experience a creative work as close to the intended fashion as possible (rather than just to avoid dodgy voice acting in one language) that's unambiguously done best by experiencing the entirely unchanged original, and then next best by experiencing a full and comprehensive localization.
If you have a linguistic-based disability, obviously you have a unique situation. That's not the kind of person I'm making a crack at. I'm snapping back at the ludicrous claims that we can't get any kind of emotional resonance from foreign language dubs.

Again, your point is presuming that we lived in a world where the localizations in our respective native languages were full, comprehensive and of equivalent quality to the original. The exactly problem is that they very often aren't, particularly in relation to dubs. And in those many cases, yes I would think that listening to the original voices with proper subtitling is indeed "better" than the alternative.

And still, there's no response to the issue of options. I don't understand the vehement dislike of options which can help create more beneficial media consumption for a wider array of players.

Charamiwa

Banned
There's benefit compared to silence but not compared to actually understanding the spoken words. Watching films with subtitles is a compromise: it's distracting from the film's visual element to have to look at text, and it's cognitively draining to take text you understand and try to map it to tone of voice in a language you don't. People can do it, sure, but all that gets you to is working harder to understand the same content. There's no magical "extra" element you get from doing this that you can't get from translating the voices.

So maybe the problem here is that you think using subtitles is hard and distracting? Not everyone think that, especially with a little practice.

edit: I agree with you that subtitles are a compromise. I just think a dub is a way bigger one, and much more distracting. Maybe it's better for comfort? But as I said, it's been a long time since I considered subtitles an inconvenience.

And again, your point is presuming that we lived in a world where the localizations in our respective native languages were full, comprehensive and of equivalent quality to the original. The exactly problem is that they very often aren't, particularly in relation to dubs. And in those many cases, yes I would think that listening to the original voices with proper subtitling is indeed "better" than the alternative.

Sure. Like I said, there's two entirely separate cases here:

1) Would rather hear original voice than a shitty local dub. This one is usually bullshit in English these days, but was certainly often an issue in the past and is surely still a big one in many other languages.

2) Thinks playing with local text + original voices is closer to the Platonic "original work" than a fully localized version. This is entirely inaccurate and falls pretty close to the heart of the weird bubble of cultural illiteracy at the heart of the really unapologetic fannish culture that people have tagged as "weeaboo."

So maybe the problem here is that you think using subtitles is hard and distracting?

I use subtitles even on stuff in my own language so no, that's not the issue. The cognitive effort thing isn't speculative, it's just the reality of linguistic processing; people understand text and speech in the same language more quickly and easily than a mixture.

Nyoro SF

I am honestly of the opinion that it's worth playing through Breath of the Wild with my intermediate Japanese than deal with the low quality English voice work we've been given.

I don't know if Nintendo America plays it cheap, or if they just have bad voice direction and auditioning, but really. They can do a lot better than that. Sort of reminds me of the comparison between Dead Rising 1 and 4's voice acting, you can tell which game had the real investment with good voice actors even from snippets in trailers.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm honestly shocked there are people out there that really believe media consumed in English speaking countries must be in 100% english.

WRT3fDKl.png

daxgame

There is not a single person on Earth who has ever learned a language by hearing it spoken while subtitles in their own language are presented. If someone wants to use this game as a springboard to learn Japanese -- which I'm all for! -- the ability to play it with both voice and text in Japanese is a big boon for that.

Guess you've found one then because as I posted previously I learned a good chunck of my english from videogames and other media. We're not talking about necessarily mastering a language.
Free to believe it's BS - it's not - of course but it's exactly one of the reasons that made me reconsider these things many years ago.
And the second part of your post doesn't make sense because you know better that you wouldn't be able to learn without having the translation - and in the case at hand, I'm sure you know better that since japanese doesn't even have the classic alphabet, the process becomes outright impossible for western people.

Sure. Like I said, there's two entirely separate cases here:

1) Would rather hear original voice than a shitty local dub. This one is usually bullshit in English these days, but was certainly often an issue in the past and is surely still a big one in many other languages.

2) Thinks playing with local text + original voices is closer to the Platonic "original work" than a fully localized version. This is entirely inaccurate and falls pretty close to the heart of the weird bubble of cultural illiteracy at the heart of the really unapologetic fannish culture that people have tagged as "weeaboo."
Fine I'm just going to concede the argument at this point, we're going in circles, and you obviously can't be moved on a discussion that really comes down to a desire for more options. It's odd to see people take such an anti-consumer approach to things, but whatever, c'est la vie.

Charamiwa

Banned

Wait how can you be so sure of that? I'm sure plenty of people here started learning english just like that. That's how it started for me: I'd watch subtitled episode of How I met Your Mother over and over again, and I started to know exactly what they were actually saying, and with time started to naturally ignore the subtitles. That's what made me so good at english in class. I'm not saying I'll magically know chinese by watching chinese movies, but it sure helps. It helped me with english big time.

Khrno

I'm honestly shocked there are people out there that really believe media consumed in English speaking countries must be in 100% english.

That's what having the native language of the dominant country that produces the most amount of entertainment media in the world gets you.

Eusis

Well, at least this means that if we are vocal enough they could probably patch in the option. Or sell it as DLC if need be due to licensing shit.

I kinda have a hard time believing people who want a Japanese voice + English text option want it for any reason other than not liking how the English dub sounds. Which, I mean, is a fair reason; I'm not a fan of the English dub, either. There's nothing wrong with preferring Japanese voices, but I just don't believe people do so because of some desire to be closer to the original source. I don't really buy the idea that people want to listen to the Japanese voices to help them learn Japanese, either. I think it just boils down to people not liking the dub. I don't think it's a huge deal that Nintendo doesn't give players the option, but at the same time, there isn't really a big reason not to give the option anyway.

notaskwid

Well, at least this means that if we are vocal enough they could probably patch in the option. Or sell it as DLC if need be due to licensing shit.
What licensing? The audio and text is in the game, only locked behind the globlal language settings of the console.

chrono01

Man, this thing is still going? Why can't we all be friends here? :(

It all boils down to options. If someone wants to play a FPS game with inverted aiming, I say go for it. If another wants to start up a game and play it on Easy difficulty, go on and have fun with that! If someone else wants to play something with Japanese VO alongside English subtitles, why should that be any more wrong than the former two examples? It's just a preference, for that individual player, on the best way he/she might find full enjoyment for the game. Neither is right or wrong, it's just a choice. To say one is valid while the other isn't is just close-minded. People are, of course, entitled to their own opinions and to decide what's best for them, but nothing bad will come form having the choice be there. No one is paying extra for its inclusion, so if you want to use it (or subsequently, don't want to use it), it existing serves no harm whatsoever. Personally, I would have preferred to play this with Japanese VO with English subtitles (I watch import stuff, such as anime, in this manner), but unfortunately it won't be possible for me (unless Nintendo makes some changes).

We have an amazing-looking Zelda game here, releasing in less than two months. We should be sharing our excitement over this, not fighting and trying to argue over why this particular dub is better than the other, and how the other person is "wrong" for feeling that way.

Hypron

I kinda have a hard time believing people who want a Japanese voice + English text option want it for any reason other than not liking how the English dub sounds. Which, I mean, is a fair reason; I'm not a fan of the English dub, either. There's nothing wrong with preferring Japanese voices, but I just don't believe people do so because of some desire to be closer to the original source. I don't really buy the idea that people want to listen to the Japanese voices to help them learn Japanese, either. I think it just boils down to people not liking the dub. I don't think it's a huge deal that Nintendo doesn't give players the option, but at the same time, there isn't really a big reason not to give the option anyway.

Sorry but that makes 0 sense. Are you telling me I'm a liar?

Charamiwa

Banned
Thinks playing with local text + original voices is closer to the Platonic "original work" than a fully localized version. This is entirely inaccurate and falls pretty close to the heart of the weird bubble of cultural illiteracy at the heart of the really unapologetic fannish culture that people have tagged as "weeaboo."

Since I was a teenager and I saw a movie called About Elly I've been enamoured with Iranian cinema and watched a considerable amount of their movies with subtitles. If I refuse to watch the most popular ones with a dub, does that mean I live in a bubble of cultural illiteracy and I'm a middle-eastaboo or something? Or maybe I just like the culture, the movies, the context, and I take pleasure in watching it with subtitles?

I think the attitude of some anime fanatics skews your judgement.

ksamedi

Right, but what's your purpose here? I mean, people like what they like, but this doesn't accomplish anything from a content or cultural perspective. Is it just for ambiance?

Hi there, I have no idea what you guys are discussing but i did learn English mostly by watching movies with subtitles :).

99Luffy

Banned
Some silly reasons here defending terrible local dubs.

But it should also be mentioned that alot of things just arent translatable, and that its important that we hear the native language combined with subtitles to get a better understanding. For example alot of comedic elements in japanese gets lost when its dubbed in english. Hearing naruto say 'believe it' instead of reading dattebayo just leaves the english speaker confused and going huh.

It would be like trying to dub a movie based in the american deep south during the civil war. How do you get japanese VAs to convey that time period and do the southern accent in japanese??? The answer is you dont even try, that would be fucking stupid.

DekuLink

I just prefer the original language + subs for whatever the original language was. But now I have learned that I'm weird for feeling like that and will stop. Thanks internet!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
when the Japanese track says one thing and the English text says another, what's the point?

This is the most annoying and why I tend to avoid option C or fail to understand the super huge demand
I am honestly of the opinion that it's worth playing through Breath of the Wild with my intermediate Japanese than deal with the low quality English voice work we've been given.

I don't know if Nintendo America plays it cheap, or if they just have bad voice direction and auditioning, but really. They can do a lot better than that. Sort of reminds me of the comparison between Dead Rising 1 and 4's voice acting, you can tell which game had the real investment with good voice actors even from snippets in trailers.

Kid Icarus was A+

Some silly reasons here defending terrible local dubs.

But it should also be mentioned that alot of things just arent translatable, and that its important that we hear the native language combined with subtitles to get a better understanding. For example alot of comedic elements in japanese gets lost when its dubbed in english. Hearing naruto say 'believe it' instead of reading dattebayo just leaves the english speaker confused and going huh.

It would be like trying to dub a movie based in the american deep south during the civil war. How do you get japanese VAs to convey that time period and do the southern accent in japanese??? The answer is you dont even try, that would be fucking stupid.
If you are wondering why people get such a comabitive tone about playing things in english. Read your own post a few times. This is the "elitist" mentality people are so sick of. Why this shit is such a vicious cycle

daxgame

You can be as dismissive or insulting as you want, it won't change the empirical fact that yes, it will obviously closer. Because foreign dubs are based on the original work (hardly platonic, huh) anyway and if you are able to skip a bit of the lost in translation, good for you.
If you can't, I guess there's a chance to learn.

Ultimately, not all consumers are the same and not all of them have the same language skills.
I like more options in 2017 were plenty of games have dual audio and as such I'll do my part and email Nintendo about it.

I use subtitles even on stuff in my own language so no, that's not the issue. The cognitive effort thing isn't speculative, it's just the reality of linguistic processing; people understand text and speech in the same language more quickly and easily than a mixture.
While I completely agree (I really do), that's assuming people necessarily want the simpliest way to enjoy something. I like making efforts if necessary and apparently I'm not the only one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Zelda is my favorite game that takes place in Japanese history too

Eusis

What licensing? The audio and text is in the game, only locked behind the globlal language settings of the console.
I wouldn't underestimate the capacity to put stupid stipulations in like that the audio may only be presented with these languages or when the country/language is set to this. So it's there, but they're not allowed to use it in X way.

Preference for a foreign language + subs is one thing, but the sentiment that it hews toward the "original experience" is paradoxical if you require the subs to understand it. You can enjoy it and even learn from it, but that particular rationale doesn't make sense.

How on earth is the English in this instance any more confusing?

Tohsaka

So stupid that they're tying it to the system language instead of letting you choose which audio track you want like literally every other publisher (and even Nintendo themselves in recent other games) does. Will just buy the Wii U version and undub it, was kind of hard for me to justify buying the Switch at launch just for one game anyway.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wouldn't underestimate the capacity to put stupid stipulations in like that the audio may only be presented with these languages or when the country/language is set to this. So it's there, but they're not allowed to use it in X way.

Welcome to the entertainment business. Contracts happen all the time where only certain songs or voice actors stuff can only appear in one region unless they get paid extra or hell they don't want them in the other versions at all.

Hell it's why some shit didn't get released on psn as a ps1 classic because of music rights and other shit

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
So stupid that they're tying it to the system language instead of letting you choose which audio track you want like literally every other publisher (and even Nintendo themselves in recent other games) does. Will just buy the Wii U version and undub it, was kind of hard for me to justify buying the Switch at launch just for one game anyway.

While the option for Japanese dub English dub would have been nice, why are some of you being so overdramatic. We werent even expecting to have both versions of the games on the cart

Whelp...Nintendo always finding ways to save me money...

WTF does this even mean.

ikuze

Im really interested to see how this conversation would look like if this would be about Super Mario Odyssey - where we already know Mario's original voice.

That said the Japanese version of Zelda is by far superior, IMO. And if people want to play it in their language of choice, why would anyone who can already do that complain about them? Ridiculous. You ain't gonna miss something if people get their options.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I don't mind the English dub, but if I had a choice, I'd prefer the original Japanese. I watch a lot of anime and subs > dubs.

Charamiwa

Banned
Preference for a foreign language + subs is one thing, but the sentiment that it hews toward the "original experience" is paradoxical if you require the subs to understand it. You can enjoy it and even learn from it, but that particular rationale doesn't make sense.

I'll try to explain myself one last time. I want to consume the media I like as closely as it was created. To get me there, I need a solution because sadly I don't know the original language. I choose subtitles because it doesn't alter anything, it just adds what I need to understand. Hence why I think it's the best for me.

In my mind, subtitles is like being a fly on a wall, while dub would be to redecorate the room untirely to make it more appealing to me. If that makes any sense. Dubbing is certainly more comfortable, but I can take the little annoyance (especially if I'm used to it and barely notice it anymore)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
As far as what makes a dub good, it's all about the voice actors putting effort in and the directors and translators the original script TRANSLATING TO THE LANGUAGE THEY ARE DUBBING IT TO WITHOUT LOSING THE MESSAGE AND FEELINGS FROM LANGUAGE DIFFERENCES. Yes this means tone changes or a different phrase said at times.

Direct translations RARELY will ever convey the same feelings and 1 for 1 style of acting of say jpn and eng dubs WILL RARELY ever sound proper in English. Our languages and mannerisms are different

99Luffy

Banned
Because you understand it to be a cultural catchphrase. I guess a better example would be 'yosh.' My coworker says this every time she finishes something. Google tells me it means 'okay.' but in the same context no english speaker, at least none that I know, exclaims 'okay' when they finish something and it would sound weird if I heard that in a dub.

Tohsaka

While the option for Japanese dub English dub would have been nice, why are some of you being so overdramatic. We werent even expecting to have both versions of the games on the cart

I don't see how I'm being overdramatic. Zelda is the only launch window game I had any interest in for the Switch until Mario, so it wouldn't get any use for months after I finish the game. I can just buy the Wii U version and play in my preferred language, and get the Switch later for cheaper on Black Friday or something. There are already like 4 other games I want in March for the PS4, so saving $300 is a plus for me. As for the whole expecting to have other versions on the cart thing, it's not unheard of. Nintendo has included dual audio for many recent games, and the fact that Zelda doesn't fill the cart/disc meant it was very possible they'd include it this time too.

Cerbero

Ehm, most of us from european countries learned english exactly like that during the ps1 era and with american tv series using fan made subtitles.

I'll try to explain myself one last time. I want to consume the media I like as closely as it was created. To get me there, I need a solution because sadly I don't know the original language. I choose subtitles because it doesn't alter anything, it just adds what I need to understand. Hence why I think it's the best for me.

In my mind, subtitles is like being a fly on a wall, while dub would be to redecorate the room untirely to make it more appealing to me. If that makes any sense. Dubbing is certainly more comfortable, but I can take the little annoyance (especially if I'm used to it and barely notice it anymore)

I get that the work itself is closer because it's the same thing except with subtitles, but the experience is still far enough removed that a proper dub arguably hews closer by way of comparable intimacy with the language you're listening to.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm thoroughly disappointed since the content is there just not the will to provide us with a sensible array of in game options to access it. So it's not like it would cause them a whole lot of trouble to allow us to choose which VA and which Subtitle to display.

I would have loved to play with the JP VA simply because it's very different sounding than English. I just find it a very pleasing language to hear and would make the experience feel much more like I was stepping into a foreign world. I like the Spanish, Italian and Russian VAs as well because they were all quite well done as far as I could tell and provided a similar feeling.

English VA was more than fine but since as that's my native language it doesn't provide any inherent mystery or otherness to it. If this were a BioWare game or some other game with lots of VA and dialogue all over I would go English every time, but something like this where it's going to be limited something different would have been a nice change of pace.

Certainly not the end of the world. English will be fine for me, but definitively a disappointment nonetheless that Nintendo didn't think such options would be something fans would care about and appreciate.

notaskwid

There is no だ or です or よ or other standartized ways to finish sentences in english and while it sounds weird or stupid in japanese, someone that understands the language can definitely 'understand' where the だってばよ comes from.
The 'believe it' just sounds like something no one speaking the language would repeatedly say, so yes, the why it's there is much more confusing in English

Because you understand it to be a cultural catchphrase. I guess a better example would be 'yosh.' My coworker says this every time she finishes something. Google tells me it means 'okay.' but in the same context no english speaker, at least none that I know, exclaims 'okay' when they finish something and it would sound weird if I heard that in a dub.

There is no だ or です or よ or other standartized ways to finish sentences in english and while it sounds weird or stupid in japanese, someone that understands the language can definitely 'understand' where the だってばよ comes from.
The 'believe it' just sounds like something no one speaking the language would repeatedly say, so yes, the why it's there is much more confusing in English

Alright, I get that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
A) There's a certain magic to voices you don't understand. People don't like to admit it, because it's usually shot down with the "weaboo" response and admits that the appeal comes from being a foreign party, but for some this is a thing and grants them legitimate enjoyment of material they wouldn't get from English.

B) You can also tell that there's a difference in the way something is conveyed in a language like Japanese. I think this is less a difference in the language itself and more in how Japanese entertainment is generally directed or structured. Japanese entertainment usually has much more moments of silence, a "softer" feel to it, and relies on subtle nuances more so than western entertainment. When it's dubbed, the "soul" of the westerners voicing it bleeds through, and some people are sensitive to the dissonance this has with the different "feel" of the original voices. This is something I noticed right away going from dubbed -> subbed -> back to dubbed anime as a child. This isn't always the case. Reks from FFXII had a near perfect dub voice, conveying his original VA's personality quite well, for example. But I find that it frequently is.

C) This doesn't mean that something isn't lost when not being able to understand the voices. It does require a bit of extra effort to read the subtitles, and there's a disconnect with the material because it feels unnatural compared to a language you understand.

Some people prefer the A or B positives, acknowledging that C exists but feeling as if the positives of A and B outweigh it. To others, the negatives of C are enough to dismiss subs. It's really a matter of taste. It's also rather easy to dismiss preference for subs with the "why listen in a language you can't understand?" argument, which is very simple and easy to cling to and is often used rather aggressively because of this.

For me, personally, I've always preferred subs, with few exceptions. For the record, I have a fair grasp of the Japanese language now (although I still can't read kanji for shit). As a kid, the fact that A and B and C all existed frustrated me greatly and propelled me to study the language so that I could have all the positives of the original language with all the positives of listening to it in a language I could understand. This is admittedly a fairly juvenile reason to want to learn a language, but one - I was fourteen when I made the decision, and two - I think it was worth it anyway, for a variety of reasons.

TL;DR: people have different tastes and there's no reason to attack each other over these tastes. People who want subs or dual audio have a legitimate reason to want such a thing. People who like to listen to things in their native language also have a legitimate reason to prefer doing so.

This discussion is bordering on the bizarre- seriously, people think that wanting subtitles and the original voice acting makes you an "uncultured anime fan"?

Firstly, anime is basically the only form of TV and cinema that is constantly dubbed, to it's detriment- with less of a dubbing obsession, anime could be much more popular and well respected in the west. I mean, even a film like Your Name, which isn't a kids film, didn't come west until there was a dubbed version. This is totally unheard of in any other world cinema, besides really populist kung fu/horror flicks. This is also why Hollywood now remakes popular pieces of world cinema; no-one likes dubs.

Secondly- why are videogames any different to world cinema? I want to hear the original dialogue because it's the original dialogue. It's closest to the original intent of the designers, the Japanese actors will have been chosen by the designers rather than localisation teams, and it shows respect to the original performers, and to the fact that not all artforms have to be specifically adapted for English-language audiences. Also- listen to the English dubs for Ghibli films. Some characters become entirely different in the dub; a good example is Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service.

And I think the important thing here is that Zelda is specifically Japenese. It's not like I played Life is Strange in French or something, because that game was set in the US and made for an American audience. But Breath in the Wild's whole visual design is based on Japanese art styles, and is the sort of game that could only come out of Japan.

If you don't think the original language adds anything to a product of a certain culture, well, I'm not sure what I can say. But good luck with cinema, because most of the best films ever made don't have any English spoken in them whatsoever. Imagine asking for a dub of The Seventh Seal or Tokyo Story or Stalker. People would laugh in your face.

I mean, I won't cry about the fact that I won't be able to play Zelda with the original voice acting, but it's a disappointment for sure. With regards to the 'learning Japanese' thing- yeah, of course hearing Japanese will help, if you're already learning Japanese via other methods. But unless perhaps you're a small child and you're hearing Japanese all the time, video games aren't going to help you actually learn the language whatsoever.

Rodolink

It sucks in a way, but it is fixable through a patch, I hope they do so since Nintendo is opening to that aproaches.

Also I got disappointed a little when reading this dubtitles thing, but now that I think it better, I can just play it in my language to understand the story and then I can make any number of playthroughs in the other languages, which is also fun.

boo

Gold Member
As a Norwegian, I will find it a bit weird to hear Zelda not talk Japanese since it is a Japanese game, but I have to play through the game one or two times in English before I comfortable can play the Japanese version since I do not know Japanese, apart from a few Anime phrases, perhaps.

So an option for Japanese voices with English text would help me to save some time.

As an aside, I find it interesting how different we look at this issue, based on what is normal in our respective countries with regard to experiencing foreign entertainment, i.e. movies, TV series, games.

In Norway, to chose to listen to foreign entertainment in the language of where the entertanment originate is normal. To read the Norwegian text that translate the original language becomes second nature at a young age.

Anecdotally, I rented a room a few years back where the landlady in her late fifties every afternoon watched reruns of the German Police series Derrick. If I had asked her if she would not rather prefer to watch the series dubbed into Norwegian, she would have believed that I accused her of being stupid.

Top Bottom