• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

Now I'm curious if westaboos in Japan play western titles in English with Japanese subs

"no Sasuke, for the authentic experience you have to play Gears of War in glorious English."
I think Japan didn't get an Japanese dub of GTAV, but I could see westaboos looking for virtual tourism switching the audio back to English if they had gotten a default Japanese dub.

Now I'm curious if westaboos in Japan play western titles in English with Japanese subs

"no Sasuke, for the authentic experience you have to play Gears of War in glorious English."

Well, yes. Going by original language is undoubtely the best option regardless of what language it is

I was under the impression that this was being developed and launched for all languages simultaneously worldwide. Or is does this all just stem from the weebish desire to return to unintelligible gibberish ("but you know, with more emotion than those inferior-by-default English actors I've never heard") and text overlays?

There are no "original voices" for this game

Games is being made in Japan by a Japanese dev, it's safe to assume that it was written and made first in japanese and then adapted. And what the fuck is that garbage reasoning jesus

Nachos

I was under the impression that this was being developed and launched for all languages simultaneously worldwide. Or is does this all just stem from the weebish desire to return to unintelligible gibberish ("but you know, with more emotion than those inferior-by-default English actors I've never heard") and text overlays?

There are no "original voices" for this game
Semantics, but I figured that whichever track was performed in the same language that the script was originally written in would qualify.

duckroll

They absolutely do. That's why for the longest time, Call of Duty had TWO versions released every year. A sub-only version earlier, followed by a dub release later when it's done.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Actually? Yeah. That's the common sentiment for 'western' style games. FOr a long time DMC, KH, Resident Evil and COD such were english dubbed only in this manner.

The only reason there was a Japanese dub was because Japanese fans complained about not being able to read the subtitles super fast(it really is an issue if you look at the subbed versions of Japanese games though)

Bookman

I assumed that a Japanese developer makes the game in Japanese? If that is not the case I would have the option to choose anyway.

I think it's partly a cultural thing. Here in Sweden dubbed voices a considerd childish and is often associated with very bad performances. Buy default I would choose the original voices, playing a lot of Japanese videogames I have probably get used to Japanese voice/ eng subs and would like to have that option regardless.

Although, I could argue that a Japanese developer wouldn't be as good in choosing english voice actors as Japanese.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
They absolutely do. That's why for the longest time, Call of Duty had TWO versions released every year. A sub-only version earlier, followed by a dub release later when it's done.

This is the correct answer.

Painguy

What is with this obsession with Japanese dubs? Some weird nonsensical elitism goin on here man. I like my anime dawg, but some of y'all take it too far. How many of you all can actually understand Japanese enough to tell if its actually a good performance lol.

What is with this obsession with Japanese dubs? Some weird nonsensical elitism goin on here man. I like my anime dawg, but some of y'all take it too far. How many of you all can actually understand Japanese enough to tell if its actually a good performance lol.
In this case, we have a direct comparison. The Japanese voices in the Breath of the Wild trailer have more emotion in them than the English voices at the same parts.

alt27

Wait , so I'm buying a switch and Zelda for my wife (we live in japan ) so obviously buying the Japanese version . So I can just change the system language to English and the game is then in English ??

Nachos

In some cases, it's less about knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that one's superior and more that they'd rather take the track they can't understand over the one they can and dislike. I'm guessing that's part of why the comparisons didn't stop at Japanese-English but included all tracks.

Wait , so I'm buying a switch and Zelda for my wife (we live in japan ) so obviously buying the Japanese version . So I can just change the system language to English and the game is then in English ??
Yes, current knowledge is you can have the entire game, voices, text, and menus, in Japanese, or the entire game in English. No mixing, because there is no menu, it automatically chooses the language based on the system settings.

duckroll

I don't think there's a hard confirmation, but from what he is saying, yes it seems like Zelda is a single SKU game. There were also PS3 (maybe PS4 too?) games which work the same way. Resonance of Fate for example turns into End o Eternity if you PS3 system language is set to Japanese. It's literally the JP version, with a different title screen, Japanese text, etc.

alt27

Yes, current knowledge is you can have the entire game, voices, text, and menus, in Japanese, or the entire game in English. No mixing, because there is no menu, it automatically chooses the language based on the system settings.

Nice . That's sweet .

random25

A lot of games that are Japanese fit so well with Japanese voice acting, especially when expressing emotions through voice.

For Zelda though, this is the first time the series got a full-blown voice acting and the games do not associate much from Japanese culture so I feel like any language dub, when done well, should be fine.

RamaKun

I'd imagine some have already taken a liking to the Japanese track due to the first version of the voice acting many of us heard was through the Japanese audio versions of the trailers.

I'm personally fine with playing it in English, but the option would have been nice. Ah well.

alt27

I don't think there's a hard confirmation, but from what he is saying, yes it seems like Zelda is a single SKU game. There were also PS3 (maybe PS4 too?) games which work the same way. Resonance of Fate for example turns into End o Eternity if you PS3 system language is set to Japanese. It's literally the JP version, with a different title screen, Japanese text, etc.

I assume this is down to the developer though . Not all games will be like this ? I'm thinking about puyo puyo Tetris as well

I assume this is down to the developer though . Not all games will be like this ? I'm thinking about puyo puyo Tetris as well

yeah I think so. In PS3's case I used to do it for Space Channel 5 Part 2 since I like the JP songs better, but I don't think it worked on all games?

nachum00

Dumb. The act of foreign games only having dubs available is so outdated. The film industry stopped doing this shit a long time ago.

duckroll

Yeah it's down to the publisher, it's not something that would apply to every game. Especially games which have different release dates. For example, if you bought End of Eternity for PS3 in Japan back when it was released, it obviously wouldn't magically have the English version on disc as well since it didn't exist. But for some reason Sega kept everyone on the disc when releasing the US version.

Dumb. The act of foreign games only having dubs available is so outdated. The film industry stopped doing this shit a long time ago.
Yeah, I've pointed this out before as well. We relentlessly shit on the weebs who want "original" voice-tracks, but most movie buffs hate dubs and no one bats an eye at their requests for language options. I get that they're different things in terms of performances, but still.

I've heard that in Japan, many fans prefer the English voice acting for Kingdom Hearts because it pulls from Disney.

I never really got this sort of sense of humor.
Maybe it's just because I've mostly been insulted for my hobbies most of my life, I guess.

??? Movies still get dubbed for their respective markets.
I mean yeah you can watch Ip Man with a dub, but you're probably a chump if you do since it's goddamn awful.

And the availability of dubs doesn't really change the wide availability of foreign movies being released with original languages and subtitles.

What about the Disney dubs for Ghibli stuff though? Star studded casts!!!
Call me crazy, but I like both versions and find rewatch value in having both available to watch.

Also helps that the Disney dubs are a hell of a step above the quality that we get for most foreign film dubs.

Schlomo

Is it really that unfathomable for Americans that there are other reasons than "weeb lol" to play games in different languages than your own?

Spence

If the text and audio is already in there how difficult is it to implement options for it?

Also it depends on the voiceacting, most usually the original voice acting is the best.

FSLink

Banned
Is it really that unfathomable for Americans that there are other reasons than "weeb lol" to play games in different languages than your own?

Seriously. I like having the option while replaying the game to hear it in other languages. I mean I guess I can still but this is kinda inconvenient.

nachum00

It's silly honestly. I just like appreciating art as close to their original forms as possible.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Some people like to insult people.

It's silly honestly. I just like appreciating art as close to their original forms as possible.

I'm normally right there with you, but personally, I liked the English VA in the trailer. It fits the Tolkien-esque fantasy of the Zelda universe better.

I don't think it has anything to do with Americans. The very same discussions occur in German message boards.

It may be less common in countries/languages that don't receive any dub for most foreign media..

Anyway, options are good. It's a pity that Nintendo doesn't think so sometimes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How do I get the secret option to have every character with their best voice actor?

I need latin zelda and german king

nachum00

I'm normally right there with you, but personally, I liked the English VA in the trailer. It fits the Tolkien-esque fantasy of the Zelda universe better.
And that's fine. And not everyone well even like subs. But there should always be an option for both subs and dubs.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Better than nothing and honestly I feel it's within the realm of acceptable.
That said it just seems dumb to not just make it an option given everything is already in place.
I don't quite see any reason not to but maybe there's a good reason for it.

It really depends what you mean by original form. In the original form, you don't have to read subtitles.

Playing a game like Final Fantasy 15 with subtitles, for example, is pretty far removed from the original experience because the incidental dialogue is supposed to be something that you just absorb ambiently. It's hard to transmit that type of thing through subtitles that ruin the flow of things by their very nature.

The only way to absorb it originally is to learn the language. Other than that, actually having actors speak a language you understand more closely hews to the original experience.

nubbe

Street Fighter does it best, it lets me choose which voice I want for specific characters.

Other companies still struggle with the simple options.

bobawesome

VRNd1.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hate when the system language decides what language you get in the game, with no in-game way of changing it. That results in shit like me getting Swedish VO in R&C and having to change my system language to English to make the game bearable. I guess they think they're being helpful by making it "easy", but no. I like having my systems set to Swedish, but I NEVER want to hear Swedish VO. And now you have this, where because of this it's impossible to do JP VO with English subtitles.

Use system language as the default, sure, but let me change that shit in-game!

Lol, here we go again with the "original voice" and "original intent" mentality. If they REALLY wanted to get an "original intent" for voices with this particular game, they'd look all over the world for that perfect voice to fit that character perfectly, not just Japan. If anything, they're limiting themselves with just Japan to search for that "original" voice.

And as usual, the majority of the people will not really care too much, and this will not factor into their decisions in buying this game.

Nerazar

I love this feature. So I don't need to buy a Japanese Switch or even Japanese games in order to enjoy the JP-version :)

However, it would be nice if they at least included subtitles for those who want a different dub, but cannot really understand that language.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
OP I agree with you. It is upsetting that we can't play in Japanese with English subs. UPSETTING :'(.

Top Bottom